Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did the USC series do Nutt in as much as anything else?

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 24, 2009, 08:39:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Think of it like this: if Nutt had the Hogs win one of the two USC games and be competitive in the other instead of being blown out by epic proportions in both games, would it have been more likely that he stayed around another 5 to 10 years?

I think these two USC games exposed Nutt and posse for what they were: peter-principled group of coaches who were never nationally competitive and would not have won an SECCG if they'd stayed at Arkansas for 25 years.

The USC games made me realize once and for all how far the program was from being competitive in the SEC and nationally. This happened in Nutt's 8th and 9th seasons...not as if Nutt and posse were new to the game. In Nutt's 9th season, he is blown out at home 50-14 by USC, then went 7-0 in SEC before losting to LSU in LR, losing to Fla in SECCG in one of the more stupidly coached games in memory and losing to Wisc (even after holding them scoreless in the 2nd half) in the bowl game.

I am watching Nutt and Ole Miss with high interest from an hour away to see how Nutt pulls off the inevitable implosion after a good first season at OM.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

It could have gotten him at least 2 more years at most.  But I am not sure the M-16 issue really hurt him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogpowr

Once it was public knowledge that his ego comes before all else, he was doomed.  It just took too long to get him gone.
Welcome Coach Bielema!

Hawgon

Quote from: hogpowr on March 24, 2009, 08:46:51 am
Once it was public knowledge that his ego comes before all else, he was doomed.  It just took too long to get him gone.

Yeah, that is right.  Big egos are okay on successful coaches.  Heck, they're often tolerated on moderately successful coaches like Nutt was.  The deal with Nutt was that his ego was toxic and self destructive.  He ego even came before winning.  When it became clear that he would rather gratify his ego than win a game, that was the end of him.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 24, 2009, 08:39:34 am
Think of it like this: if Nutt had the Hogs win one of the two USC games and be competitive in the other instead of being blown out by epic proportions in both games, would it have been more likely that he stayed around another 5 to 10 years?

I think these two USC games exposed Nutt and posse for what they were: peter-principled group of coaches who were never nationally competitive and would not have won an SECCG if they'd stayed at Arkansas for 25 years.

The USC games made me realize once and for all how far the program was from being competitive in the SEC and nationally. This happened in Nutt's 8th and 9th seasons...not as if Nutt and posse were new to the game. In Nutt's 9th season, he is blown out at home 50-14 by USC, then went 7-0 in SEC before losting to LSU in LR, losing to Fla in SECCG in one of the more stupidly coached games in memory and losing to Wisc (even after holding them scoreless in the 2nd half) in the bowl game.

I am watching Nutt and Ole Miss with high interest from an hour away to see how Nutt pulls off the inevitable implosion after a good first season at OM.

Your third paragraph is a fantastic nutshell summary of the "Nutt experience."  It still makes me shutter with embarrassment.

Now, I will turn and walk away, so as to not let my blood begin to boil over TCTWF again.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

George S. Pigton

500 in conf. play after 10 years, no QB to speak of after running off a kid with potential, and no BCS games
did it for me!
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hawgon on March 24, 2009, 08:50:06 am
Yeah, that is right.  Big egos are okay on successful coaches.  Heck, they're often tolerated on moderately successful coaches like Nutt was.  The deal with Nutt was that his ego was toxic and self destructive.  He ego even came before winning.  When it became clear that he would rather gratify his ego than win a game, that was the end of him.

Well said. 

All coaches have egos.  So does Petrino.  Stoops is an arrogant SOB, Meyer, Spurrier, etc, etc.

But unlike those guys, Nutt's ego actually got in the way of success.  It caused him to make dumb decisions because it was actually a cover for his feelings of inferiority.

bigdaddyhawg

It's not just that Nutt was ego-driven, but more that he was not a really bright person, and that's a bad combination. 

But the thing that came out at the last to me that REALLY did him in was that everyone saw what a small person he was.  He was petty and not the man his huggers made him out to be.

I'm grateful every single day that he's over the river.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Tejano Jawg

Regarding that first USC game...remember? The one where they hung SEVENTY on us? I still cannot believe someone—anyone—didn't get fired after that game. Hell, fire the entire defensive coaching staff. The U of A should have done something, then made a statement saying this kind of performance is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Instead, they just took that colossal ass-whooping in stride.

Based on this, I'm not sure those 2 big losses hurt Nutt that much. They seem to have been brushed off like so many of Nutt's blunders.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HotlantaHog

Blowing the Mitch Mustain redshirt was the worst part of the USC blowout losses. If there had been a way to keep Mustain, Damien and Gus (and a high powered offense), Nutt might still be at Arkansas. But that would have required more common sense and less ego, and in the end, that was not Nutt.

SPAL

only problem with that is that nutt was probably a play away in the SECCG from winning the SECCG, albeit on the back of Mcfadden and jones primarly and would never have made it to that point again. It is ironic that the year you mention him getting exposed as a coach who couldnt win the SEC was the only year he could have and should have.

prelawhog

end of the LSwho game in 2006 when we had a chance to make a drive and win the game: four straight incompletions.

jr

sirhog

I think the Vandy game before the first USC game had something to do with it. He asks for them to be on the schedule and then they come in RRS and beat us. We had a chance to put the game out of reach but 4 straight runs up the middle were stuffed and Vandy came back to win. I think many of his biggest supporters realized that he was in way over his head after that game. The USC game just added more fuel to the fire.

prelawhog

Alabama and Auburn in 2007, both teams come back and beat us in the final minute.

Justifiable Hogicide

March 24, 2009, 10:00:10 am #15 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:02:30 am by Justifiable Hogicide
Quote from: jr on March 24, 2009, 09:47:47 am
He should have been fired in 2003.
He should never have been hired.
Nutt was a 4-7 coach with only one year in Div 1.
His interview/audition should have only been a courtesy to help his career along, no way he and that insignificant staff of his were qualified to be coaching the Razorbacks.
Then he got here and we learned of his many character flaws.
The consecutive nationally televised USC beatdowns of "nutt" were embarrassments that proved he was totally incompetent.

SquidBilly

The USC games didn't do him in because no one expected us to win either of those.  Sure we expected it to be more competitive than what it was but still.  The only reason USC was even scheduled was to try and appease the fans who were tired of seeing us play Div 2 opponents all of the time.  What did Nutt and Frank in was that they both had this very egotistical view that we fans were just sheep that would be led wherever and however they wanted to.  Nutt thought he was "untouchable" so he did whatever he wanted to do regardless of how juvenile and wrong it may have been.  He never expected there would come a day where Frank could no longer protect him.  Well the fans finally had enough and moved on the program to where the entire power structure of the football program had to be removed to fix it.  We are now moving back in the direction we need to be headed with Coach Petrino at the helm.

idochog

Nutt did in Nutt. 

The only reason it took so long was Lindsey and Broyles were attached to each butt cheek
I love Jesus!

felixjonesfan

I think the USC game wasabout our superstars like McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Monk, Luigs, Ugoh etc. I think alot of peope were aware that we were not going to win after the first quarter of the first game. Or even before the game.

VoR

I still think it was the flirtation (even if it was only wishful thinking) with LSU that formed the very 1st cracks in the foundation. In his eyes, he thought he was bigger then the program, and at that point he set out to prove that he was. At least that is the only reason I can fathom why he pulled some of the dunderheaded gaffes he did.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: felixjonesfan on March 24, 2009, 10:44:39 am
I think the USC game wasabout our superstars like McFadden, Jones, Hillis, Monk, Luigs, Ugoh etc. I think alot of peope were aware that we were not going to win after the first quarter of the first game. Or even before the game.

I took the trip to L.A. for my 21st birthday and to watch the massacre of a football game.

We were completely out of contention when they scored 3 times in 48 seconds. It really was like watching Godzilla vs. Bambi in person. Still had a hell of a time in l.a. though!

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: TeedupHigh on March 24, 2009, 10:13:45 am
He's gone, for God's sake just quit talking about him!  We have a real Coach now, get behind BP and leave the former class clown to the rebels.  Why are HOG fans still talking about this guy?  HE'S GONE!  Do you want him back or what.....Manlove maybe, he did have a bit of a rack.

It's pretty clear by the title what the subject is about. You might try just not clicking the link.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

toozakpig

Remember the coach at Minnesota that blew a huge lead in the second to Texas Tech in a bowl game? He was fired the next day. That is what should have happened to hootie! But I digress!

IronHog

1.  The USC losses were not what did Nutt in, but it sure didn't help among the football first type fans.  Compare this with Hatfield vs. Miami.  Arkansas didn't win the second game but it wasn't because of coaching.  Arkansas was blown out in the second USC game because the team was not ready to play.

2.  Nutt is going to have another good year.  Arkansas State has a harder schedule this year.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Root66

Nutt did himself in by leaving Murray State. That was his peter principle job. He never improved himself.

Smokehouse

The 2nd USC game was my first as a student on the Hill... sure wish I could have started out on a better foot.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

felixjonesfan

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 24, 2009, 11:05:41 am
I took the trip to L.A. for my 21st birthday and to watch the massacre of a football game.

We were completely out of contention when they scored 3 times in 48 seconds. It really was like watching Godzilla vs. Bambi in person. Still had a hell of a time in l.a. though!

How were the USC fans?

MacHog19

Talk about your best laid plans going to He** in a handbasket!  Broyles and Nutt schedule those games because they were nostalgic about the series in the early 70's, for the purpose of showcasing the Hogs, and to use them as a recruiting tool in Southern California.  How do you spell B-A-C-K-F-I-R-E?  Not only did the Hogs get their arses embarassed twice, those games eventually lead Pete Carroll and USC to attracting Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams, and signing Broderick Green--all major Arkansas talent that Hootie could not coach or recruit.  And in return, how many players did Hootie recruit and sign from Los Angeles and So Cal?  To my memory:  NONE.

It also reminded me of the blowout loss to Miami in 1987 by accentuating how far behind our program had become.  Clearly, Nutt was never going to lead us to be competitive at the Top 10 level (except for one surprise game a year). 

I think our program is in much better hands, regardless of what Hootie and the Rebels accomplished last year and what they may do this year-with mostly players recruited by Orgeron.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on March 24, 2009, 11:07:40 am
It's pretty clear by the title what the subject is about. You might try just not clicking the link.
Or, go ahead and post that and watch it go bye-bye!  :P
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

OTTER

No, the Mississippi Moron's lack of coaching ability and moral character "done him in"!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

razorbackmkh

Quote from: prelawhog on March 24, 2009, 09:25:34 am
end of the LSwho game in 2006 when we had a chance to make a drive and win the game: four straight incompletions.

And Mitch sitting on the side lines. I'm not a Gus/Mitch/Damien Hugger but this was ridiculous. It showed that he put himself before the team. That game broke my heart.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

hogsanity

The USC games were merely a side-effect of something that I still was the ultimate downfall of HDn, and it happened several years prior. 

I am still convinced that during the 2000 season, JFB told HDN to go back to a running conservative run based offense.  At that point, HDN did not have the coaching resume to tell JFB to take a hike, knowing it could cost him his job, so he went along with it.  Then along came MJ, and HDN was more or less forced to let him play QB.  Then came DMAC. 

Once he sold out on letting someone else tell him what offense to run, it was over.  Then he was forced to let MJ play QB, then to hire GM, and I think JFB forced hm to play MM against USC. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorbackmkh

March 24, 2009, 01:45:17 pm #32 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:48:51 pm by razorbackmkh
Quote from: hogsanity on March 24, 2009, 01:31:29 pm
The USC games were merely a side-effect of something that I still was the ultimate downfall of HDn, and it happened several years prior. 

I am still convinced that during the 2000 season, JFB told HDN to go back to a running conservative run based offense.  At that point, HDN did not have the coaching resume to tell JFB to take a hike, knowing it could cost him his job, so he went along with it.  Then along came MJ, and HDN was more or less forced to let him play QB.  Then came DMAC. 

Once he sold out on letting someone else tell him what offense to run, it was over.  Then he was forced to let MJ play QB, then to hire GM, and I think JFB forced hm to play MM against USC. 

As I said before, I'm not a Springdale Hugger, and I'm definitely NOT a Nutt Hugger, but I do somewhat agree with this post. I think Frank was able to coach the Hogs through Nutt. See: The Dallas Cowboys.

This type of situation does not work, no matter how great the AD is or the HC. Again, ask Cowboy fans. Funny that a FB protege is reaping the same rewards that Frank did with this strategy...teams that consistently underachieve.

I do not believe that Houston is some great coach and will be the second coming of Bear Bryant now that he is at Ole Miss. I do believe he will run a different offense that is suited better to his personnel.

Time will tell if he can really get it done. I think we often rely too much on his record at Arkansas as an indicator of what he will do at Ole Miss. Way too much meddling here and who knows what he may or may not have done minus FB, JL and Co. However, whatever his record there, it will all be on Houston, not anyone meddling in his program.

Then again, I bet every program has their own Frank Broyles and Jim Lindseys. Wait, no, most probably don't. Most probably have ADs that keep that stuff in check.

For the record, I think HDN will be mediocre at Ole Miss. He just doesn't seem disciplined enough to keep up with the big boys of the SEC consistently. Also, for the record, I think Ole Miss fans will be okay with this. Especially if there is the occasional Capital One or Cotton Bowl between all the Liberty and Independence bowls. We just had higher expectations and rightfully so.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

MacHog19

razorbackmkh,

I disagree with you to a degree.  Broyles (and perhaps JL and Co.) may have meddled too much but I am convinced that Hootie would have been gone after the 2004 and 2005 seasons but for Broyles.  There are very few programs, especially in the SEC, that would have abided back-to-back losing seasons from a coach who was six years into his tenure. 

Smokehouse

Quote from: MacHog19 on March 24, 2009, 11:30:17 am
Talk about your best laid plans going to He** in a handbasket!  Broyles and Nutt schedule those games because they were nostalgic about the series in the early 70's, for the purpose of showcasing the Hogs, and to use them as a recruiting tool in Southern California.  How do you spell B-A-C-K-F-I-R-E?  Not only did the Hogs get their arses embarassed twice, those games eventually lead Pete Carroll and USC to attracting Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams, and signing Broderick Green--all major Arkansas talent that Hootie could not coach or recruit.  And in return, how many players did Hootie recruit and sign from Los Angeles and So Cal?  To my memory:  NONE.

It also reminded me of the blowout loss to Miami in 1987 by accentuating how far behind our program had become.  Clearly, Nutt was never going to lead us to be competitive at the Top 10 level (except for one surprise game a year). 

I think our program is in much better hands, regardless of what Hootie and the Rebels accomplished last year and what they may do this year-with mostly players recruited by Orgeron.

I'd like to see us schedule USC again in about three years.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: felixjonesfan on March 24, 2009, 11:25:14 am
How were the USC fans?

We met some guys from the USC chapter of the fraternity I was in that were cool as could be. They threw a huge tailgate party and told us to be there at 830am. They had a full bar and tons of great food, and insisted on "hosting" us even though I was the only one out of 6 that was associated with them. Very nice folks and I actually invited a few of them down to stay in Fayetteville at my place the next year when we got smoked yet again.

As for other fans, I didn't interact with them much besides some d-bag wearing a Reggie Bush jersey after the game. He told me to bring our varsity squad next time we played em, which I replied with a compliment to his mother I think.

hanguplisten

Statements like "I was afraid to play Felix or Darren because they might fumble" in the Vanderbilt game did him in.   ??? >:( :puke:

PoormansRobbyHampton

His fate was sealed to me after the famous 0-for-October in 2003. Don't get me wrong, I loved 2006 as much as anyone, I was high on the Hogs, and Houston to a certain extent, but I never forgot about 2003 and how heartbreaking that whole thing was.

GuvHog

Quote from: MacHog19 on March 24, 2009, 02:19:58 pm
razorbackmkh,

I disagree with you to a degree.  Broyles (and perhaps JL and Co.) may have meddled too much but I am convinced that Hootie would have been gone after the 2004 and 2005 seasons but for Broyles.  There are very few programs, especially in the SEC, that would have abided back-to-back losing seasons from a coach who was six years into his tenure. 

The USC series didn't do HDN in, There was a lot more to it that that and it was
a long time in coming (although I didn't realize it until November of 07).

Frank meddled with HDNs program from the beginning and it was never more
evident than in late 2005 and early 2006. An AD should never ever under any
circumstances force a Head coach to hire an Assistant coach he doesn't want
MUCH LESS make him OC. Frank should have let HDN fail on his own (which he
most certainly would have done) or cut him loose imediately (which he should
have done).

IMO the reason HDN stayed so long was more Jim L.'s fault than Franks
although Frank must share some of the blame.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MJ2

No, his mishandling of Gus and Mitch cost us at least one NC and possibly two.  That is what did him in.   But, in the long run, he's better off and so are we.  Gus will be super successful and Mitch will be fine too.

GuvHog

Quote from: MJ2 on March 24, 2009, 04:21:28 pm
No, his mishandling of Gus and Mitch cost us at least one NC and possibly two.  That is what did him in.   But, in the long run, he's better off and so are we.  Gus will be super successful and Mitch will be fine too.

I agree with you about Mitch, but HDN should never, ever have been
forced to hire Gus. He should have been fired then (although at the
time I didn't realize it).

Sivad

As many have pointed out, it was "nutt"s:
lack of coaching ability and
his insecurity complex;
his insatiable ego;
his lack of any semblance of character;
his tent-revival preacher persona;
his inability to act like an adult;
his zipper problems;
his out of control "family posse";
his frequent lying;
his laziness;
his lack of recruiting;
his constant excuses;
his lack of progress after ten years of being given every advantage possible;
all combined to cause him to be literally run out of the state one step ahead of a lynch party.
The two USC embarrassments were colossal, they should never have happened to the UA, but it was so much more that finally rid of us that darned despicable man.

Hogsnort

Quote from: Sivad on March 24, 2009, 05:43:00 pm
As many have pointed out, it was "nutt"s:
lack of coaching ability and
his insecurity complex;
his insatiable ego;
his lack of any semblance of character;
his tent-revival preacher persona;
his inability to act like an adult;
his zipper problems;
his out of control "family posse";
his frequent lying;
his laziness;
his lack of recruiting;
his constant excuses;
his lack of progress after ten years of being given every advantage possible;
all combined to cause him to be literally run out of the state one step ahead of a lynch party.
The two USC embarrassments were colossal, they should never have happened to the UA, but it was so much more that finally rid of us that darned despicable man.
To sum it up: He's just a Big Dummy!

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 24, 2009, 09:19:54 am
Regarding that first USC game...remember? The one where they hung SEVENTY on us? I still cannot believe someone—anyone—didn't get fired after that game. Hell, fire the entire defensive coaching staff. The U of A should have done something, then made a statement saying this kind of performance is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Instead, they just took that colossal ass-whooping in stride.

Based on this, I'm not sure those 2 big losses hurt Nutt that much. They seem to have been brushed off like so many of Nutt's blunders.
Then the clown said those famous words we all know and love "They score so fast it just messes you up " THAT should have never come out of a coaches mouth. Mess you up ? WTH was that.

I wish I could have heard him on that flight to LAX. Look guys out the right side of the plane, It is the Grand Canyon !! As they flew over a drainage ditch in Long Beach.  It was one mess after another. Good ridance.

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Root66

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 24, 2009, 04:10:26 pm
The USC series didn't do HDN in, There was a lot more to it that that and it was
a long time in coming (although I didn't realize it until November of 07).

Frank meddled with HDNs program from the beginning and it was never more
evident than in late 2005 and early 2006. An AD should never ever under any
circumstances force a Head coach to hire an Assistant coach he doesn't want
MUCH LESS make him OC. Frank should have let HDN fail on his own (which he
most certainly would have done) or cut him loose imediately (which he should
have done).

IMO the reason HDN stayed so long was more Jim L.'s fault than Franks
although Frank must share some of the blame.

If Frank "meddled" Gus Mal-a-zahn onto tctwf staff then he "meddled" the ONLY decent offense Nutt fielded after Joe Ferguson taught Clint Stoerner how to audible out of all those fullback runs off tackle in 1998 and 1999. 

MJ2

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 24, 2009, 04:38:49 pm
I agree with you about Mitch, but HDN should never, ever have been
forced to hire Gus. He should have been fired then (although at the
time I didn't realize it).

I think Broyles knew the backlash that would come if Mitch and the Springdale kids got away.  Which they were headed in that direction.   Nutt was smart enough to know that he was NOT in a position to negotiate at that time and he agreed to take Gus which ensured the Springdale kids would come.   Broyles was counting on it all working out with time, but Nutt's ego was hurt and the spiral downward began, etc.   Anyway, it all happened for a reason and let's hope the Hogs eventually benefit.

JustSouthofHogHeaven

Quote from: prelawhog on March 24, 2009, 09:25:34 am

Fourth down and fairly short yardage in their territory and McFadden has yet to be stopped by LS(Few) and what do we do? Try to throw a pass! Duh!!!!!!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: JustSouthofHogHeaven on March 25, 2009, 12:20:53 pm

Fourth down and fairly short yardage in their territory and McFadden has yet to be stopped by LS(Few) and what do we do? Try to throw a pass! Duh!!!!!!!!!

Don't knock it. BP called a pass play on a 4th and less than 1 last year. Thank
goodness it was caught for a first down!

Wild Bill Hog

JustSouthofHogHeaven

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 25, 2009, 12:37:28 pm
Don't knock it. BP called a pass play on a 4th and less than 1 last year. Thank
goodness it was caught for a first down!

hey, I'm not against passing on fourth-and-short, but we weren't exactly an accomplished passing team in '06 and the WildHog was unstoppable (at least by the Tigers).