Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Gillespie

Started by vol_in_ar, March 23, 2009, 06:59:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vol_in_ar

Anybody hearing he's out at KY?

WilsonHog

March 23, 2009, 07:01:58 pm #1 Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:03:33 pm by WilsonHog
Been rumors about a buy-out for the last couple of weeks.

It'll be interesting to follow, that's for sure. Makes for good discussion any time the Kentucky job opens. 

I don't think Billy Clyde's persona fits Kentucky very well. If he goes, the first question will be whether Travis Ford id ready for that job.

vol_in_ar

thanks
interesting to see how it plays out

I think they'll go hard after Donavan

LRMedHawg

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 23, 2009, 07:04:19 pm
thanks
interesting to see how it plays out

I think they'll go hard after Donavan

They already tried that once and struck out so I don't know why they would do it again.  I doubt he gets to keep the job.

vol_in_ar

WilsonHog

A loss to Creighton in the second round of the NIT won't do much for Billy Clyde's job security. 

beachhawg

look for calipari at ky if opening happens

WilsonHog

Quote from: Bailey on March 23, 2009, 08:27:00 pm

And the rest of us would be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Bailey on March 23, 2009, 08:27:00 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 23, 2009, 08:29:22 pm
And the rest of us would be bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Cal at UK would be scary.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

NuttinItUp

Gillispie, not Gillespie

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Calipari will not go to Kentucky. That much is certain. Just wait and see on that one.

Table Rocker

wasn't cal supposed to go to KY the last time they were hiring?

Oliver

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 23, 2009, 08:36:13 pm

Yeah, and Roy Williams was supposed to go to UNC in 2000.

Razorod

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 23, 2009, 08:36:13 pm
KY made the mistake of making it obvious that donovan was their first choice. should have made Cal the obvious choice and he may well have gone. He wasn't going anywhere as a second choice.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 23, 2009, 09:12:28 pm
Yeah, and Roy Williams was supposed to go to UNC in 2000.

um, did calipari play ball at KY?

apples and oranges when you're talking about alma maters.

McKdaddy

I'd go after Cal first.
Then, my first alternate--and I suggested this to my UK buddies 2 years ago--would be Jay Wright.
Thirdly, I'd want to talk to Rick Barnes.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Oliver

March 23, 2009, 09:32:16 pm #17 Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:34:12 pm by Oliver Miller
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 23, 2009, 09:22:09 pm
um, did calipari play ball at KY?

apples and oranges when you're talking about alma maters.

Then mention that when you make it sound like a coach's word is set in stone when he declines a job offer initially.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 23, 2009, 09:32:16 pm
Then mention that when you make it sound like a coach's word is set in stone when he declined a job offer initially.

ok i'm sorry oh great oliver of hogville for not making my point crystal clear.

why would cal leave memphis for UK? memphis will match any offer that UK throws at him, he has an easy road to a 1-3 seed every year and has talent out the wazzoo at memphis right now and coming in next year.

maybe if he won the NC last year he would move on, but he hasn't and he knows his best chances are in the next few years.

now quit hogville-stalking me.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 23, 2009, 07:01:58 pm
Been rumors about a buy-out for the last couple of weeks.

It'll be interesting to follow, that's for sure. Makes for good discussion any time the Kentucky job opens. 

I don't think Billy Clyde's persona fits Kentucky very well. If he goes, the first question will be whether Travis Ford id ready for that job.

I believe they'll make another run at Donovan first.  If he turns them down, Ford will be the one they'll bring in.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Marshfieldhog

IF Cal goes to UK, then we need to man up and go out and get a big name...we keep falling behind in bball and there is no excuse for it.

hoglady

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 23, 2009, 09:59:36 pm
IF Cal goes to UK, then we need to man up and go out and get a big name...we keep falling behind in bball and there is no excuse for it.

If Cal goes to UK the entire SEC just fell behind.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TomasPistola

BG beat this guy...go Kentucky.

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Smokehouse

If I was Cal, no way I leave Memphis for KY.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Kevin Bacon on March 23, 2009, 10:56:23 pm
Where KY?
He is from Tenn.  What he meant was they're, as in they are, not there, as in over there is Kentucky
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 23, 2009, 09:59:36 pm
Maybe we could get Billy G, since that is who most on here wanted last time.  I here he will be looking for a job soon.  Honestly though, why would anyone leave Memphis?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Oliver

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 23, 2009, 11:44:48 pm
Maybe we could get Billy G, since that is who most on here wanted last time.  I here he will be looking for a job soon.  Honestly though, why would anyone leave Memphis?

Maybe so when you go 31-3, you'll get a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament because people will take you seriously enough outside of Conference USA. 

Maybe so people will start to put his name up there with Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, and Coach K if he started to win at a school like Kentucky.

Maybe because there is no way Memphis could match what Kentucky could throw at him money wise. 

Then again by staying, he's got a softball of a season until the NCAAT and he always recruits well.  So maybe he likes the easy way out.

UofMemphis

^ LMFAO...

Cal's not leaving Memphis...and we pay Cal more than UK has ever paid a coach in their history.

Cal and Billy D both turned down UK 2 years ago...why in God's green earth would anyone want to coach their.

coach for 2 years...get fired for not being Adolph Rupp or Rick Pitino.

this board is stuck in 1994 i see.
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: UofMemphis on March 24, 2009, 12:11:45 am
^ LMFAO...

Cal's not leaving Memphis...and we pay Cal more than UK has ever paid a coach in their history.

Cal and Billy D both turned down UK 2 years ago...why in God's green earth would anyone want to coach their.

coach for 2 years...get fired for not being Adolph Rupp or Rick Pitino.

this board is stuck in 1994 i see.

and i see you are still waiting on your national championship...
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

UofMemphis

Quote from: semohawg on March 24, 2009, 12:27:50 am
and i see you are still waiting on your national championship...

that has nothing to do with John Calipari, but...

that title you cling to really seems to have secured the future of Arkansas basketball...since 1999 (last decade) Arkansas Basketball has fired 2 coaches...zero sweet 16's...zero elite eights...zero final fours...zero SEC titles.

UA has a fine program...but you guys have a little too much Memphis hate in you...recruits today don't wanna hear about 1995 and a fired Nolan Richardson...most remember the last 4-5 years...in that time...Memphis has been a beast...Rodney Carney, Shawne Williams, Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Tyreke Evans, Xavier Henry, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, etc....they don't care about what Nolan did.

don't act like Arkansas didn't ask RC for permission to talk to Cal after Stan was fired...Cal has really built Memphis into something special.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Hawg Barry on March 24, 2009, 12:35:52 am
  Fixed it.

what's wrong with FedEx??? we LOVE their money...the President, CEO, CFO, half the VP's, and most the fans are all big UofM boosters....they employ 30,000 people in Memphis.

we play in one of the finest arenas in America in FEDEXforum:

we have the FedEx internship program...basketball players get summer internships that pay 12-14,000 dollars...it's also NCAA approved.

we have a private 737 called "SKY KING" on reserve at Wilson Air next to FedEx that the basketball team takes everywhere.

we open FedExPark next season, on-campus...a new 2,500 seat baseball facility built by FedEx.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: UofMemphis on March 24, 2009, 12:46:42 am
what's wrong with FedEx??? we LOVE their money...the President, CEO, CFO, half the VP's, and most the fans are all big UofM boosters....they employ 30,000 people in Memphis.

we play in one of the finest arenas in America in FEDEXforum:

we have the FedEx internship program...basketball players get summer internships that pay 12-14,000 dollars...it's also NCAA approved.

we have a private 737 called "SKY KING" on reserve at Wilson Air next to FedEx that the basketball team takes everywhere.

we open FedExPark next season, on-campus...a new 2,500 seat baseball facility built by FedEx.

And Tiger High is still a third-rate cheating program in a fourth-rate city. 

Memphis State is a glorified mid-major, nothing more.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 24, 2009, 12:49:02 am

small words form a message board...Cal has never had ANY sanctions put on him by the NCAA...Memphis is the home of several large employers such as FedEx, International Paper, Service Master, AutoZone, Freds, etc. Memphis is also America's Cargo hub...Memphis plays a vital role to America and there many wonderful places to live around here.

just another sweet 16 for this little mid major tiger high...of course i'd rather be there than the NIT.

man, you guys are just full of hate, huh?

UofMemphis

Quote from: Lazarus P. Hog on March 24, 2009, 12:50:19 am
Would be a great move for Cal. Then we'll see the Trojan Horse invade Memphis (NCAA) and burn down Tiger High!!!  Bill Gillispe ends up Ouachita or A-Tech somewhere!!!!

yes...he can go there an get run off in 2 season, right?

i KNOW Cal isn't leaving....

he has a 5 million dollar "longevity bonus" that pays out next season (his 10th year in Memphis)

he has Xavier Henry signed to an LOI, a verbal from DeMarcus Cousins, and John Wall is Memphis' to lose at this point.

why would cal leave his 2.5 million dollar salary...5 million dollars...and the #1 class in America???

if Cal's going to leave...it will be after NEXT season.

Pork Twain

March 24, 2009, 01:25:55 am #35 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:53:56 am by BeoPig™
Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 23, 2009, 11:56:33 pm
Maybe so when you go 31-3, you'll get a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament because people will take you seriously enough outside of Conference USA. 
I guess he better get a job in the Big East then, because the teams that got the nod ahead of him were not SEC teams.  Much easier solution would be to stay at Memphis, which is loaded with recruits, and just continue to stockpile and win.

Maybe so people will start to put his name up there with Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, and Coach K if he started to win at a school like Kentucky.
Their names are up there because they have won it all and are good year in and year out.  You can do that at Memphis as well as Kentucky.

Maybe because there is no way Memphis could match what Kentucky could throw at him money wise. 
You sure about that

Then again by staying, he's got a softball of a season until the NCAAT and he always recruits well.  So maybe he likes the easy way out.
If he and Memphis are serious about getting respect then the easy solution is to take care of business in March.  This is not college football.  Strength of schedule means nothing if you are strong enough to make it to the finals every year.

blacksuit

Quote from: UofMemphis on March 24, 2009, 01:14:25 am

This thread was pretty calm until you started posting in it. Anything can happen at this early hour, and firing a coach after two years would be pretty unusual, but if they do fire Gillispie, you gotta figure they have an A-list coach lined up. There are only a handful of coaches who fit the profile. Cal would be such a man, so if they do fire BG, I would be a little worried if I was a fan of Memphis basketball.

UofMemphis

Quote from: blacksuit on March 24, 2009, 02:34:33 am
This thread was pretty calm until you started posting in it. Anything can happen at this early hour, and firing a coach after two years would be pretty unusual, but if they do fire Gillispie, you gotta figure they have an A-list coach lined up. There are only a handful of coaches who fit the profile. Cal would be such a man, so if they do fire BG, I would be a little worried if I was a fan of Memphis basketball.

so why exactly would Cal leave the program he's built, 5 million dollars, and the #1 recruiting class in America for UK?

Memphis/FedEx can match any offer from UK...and why would Cal turn down NC State 3 years ago and Kentucky 2 years ago?

just doesn't make sense.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: UofMemphis on March 24, 2009, 01:14:25 am

just another sweet 16 for this little mid major tiger high...of course i'd rather be there than the NIT.

As nice as I think it is that you cheer for the Indianapolis Colts of college basketball and keep doing your "little engine that could" routine, I look forward to the day that Memphis falls back off the Memphis basketball map.

The mid 90's, for me personally, were grand. Memphis was dormant (save for the defending national champs beating Memphis in Kansas City in 1995) and the Razorbacks were a power.

History or not, Arkansas has something that Memphis has never and will never see, a national championship.

Heck, I still remember the parade and the big fuss about Memphis winning the NIT two years in a row around here. Dajuan Wagner was suppose to be Carmelo Anthony before we heard about 'melo. Memphis won the NIT and celebrated like it had never celebrated before.

Now, a couple sweet 16s and Memphis is John Wooden's UCLA dynasty? Spare me. And don't come back here until your team wins a championship.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: UofMemphis on March 24, 2009, 02:43:34 am
so why exactly would Cal leave the program he's built, 5 million dollars, and the #1 recruiting class in America for UK?

Memphis/FedEx can match any offer from UK...and why would Cal turn down NC State 3 years ago and Kentucky 2 years ago?

just doesn't make sense.

Realistically, he wouldn't. I wouldn't if I was in the thing for money and chances at a championship. As we've found out lately, you don't have to play in a BCS conference to contend for championships. Just post 30 some odd wins and count on a top 3 seed.

But realistically, what else can Calipari do at Memphis? He's rebuilt the program, championship or not. Where does the motivation come from? He has to hear the whispers and the slights from the talking heads. "Yeah, Memphis is good, but who have they beaten?". And it's a fair question. Maybe if he was in a bigger market? Kentucky starts to look pretty good. Heck, even Arkansas for that matter. With the ESPN contract, any place in the SEC can offer exposure that Memphis only dreams about. Every conference game on national tv? Yes please. You know that's an enticing recruiting package.

Honestly though? I never expected Cal to stay this long, so maybe I'm completely off-base. And I think the man is as smug and arrogant as they come. I saw him on the news the other day addressing the Maryland Terps trash talking. Something about "we don't play in that league...if you invite us, we'll join". Just pure arrogance. Last year after the Texas game his famous-to-me "Guys, we're hitting our free throws" speech now reeks of Houston Nutt syndrome.

Btw, where does everyone in the greater Memphis area buy their t-shirts? 'cause here's the thing, I couldn't find anyone wearing one in the early part of the decade, now I can't get away from them.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 24, 2009, 12:49:02 am

Pretty good results over the last few years.  I would take their results over our big time SEC results.

Pork Twain

March 24, 2009, 03:01:10 am #41 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:11:38 am by BeoPig™
Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 24, 2009, 02:53:44 am
Realistically, he wouldn't. I wouldn't if I was in the thing for money and chances at a championship. As we've found out lately, you don't have to play in a BCS conference to contend for championships. Just post 30 some odd wins and count on a top 3 seed.
You don't even have to do that

But realistically, what else can Calipari do at Memphis? He's rebuilt the program, championship or not. Where does the motivation come from? He has to hear the whispers and the slights from the talking heads. "Yeah, Memphis is good, but who have they beaten?". And it's a fair question. Maybe if he was in a bigger market? Kentucky starts to look pretty good. Heck, even Arkansas for that matter. With the ESPN contract, any place in the SEC can offer exposure that Memphis only dreams about. Every conference game on national tv? Yes please. You know that's an enticing recruiting package.
His motivation could be to build a powerhouse in Memphis and take advantage of the recruiting hotbed that it is.  It could be to dominate the tourny and win multiple championships.  If he continues to win like he has then he will get just as much exposure as any SEC team.

Honestly though? I never expected Cal to stay this long, so maybe I'm completely off-base. And I think the man is as smug and arrogant as they come. I saw him on the news the other day addressing the Maryland Terps trash talking. Something about "we don't play in that league...if you invite us, we'll join". Just pure arrogance. Last year after the Texas game his famous-to-me "Guys, we're hitting our free throws" speech now reeks of Houston Nutt syndrome.
All about perspective.  I see this as confidence. 

Btw, where does everyone in the greater Memphis area buy their t-shirts? 'cause here's the thing, I couldn't find anyone wearing one in the early part of the decade, now I can't get away from them.

hawgsav1

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 24, 2009, 02:56:01 am
Pretty good results over the last few years.  I would take their results over our big time SEC results.

I would too.  But i'd also take our history over their history.  I'd also rather not have players who are taking pay cuts when they sign their pro contracts.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hawianiceman on March 24, 2009, 03:47:43 am
Dumbest statement I've ever heard. The same thing people said about USC during their success. Granted the O.J Mayo incident and Reggie Bush incident are eye opening but they've actually been probed by ESPN but no NCAA punishment has come down.....yet.
I'll take accusations against Memphis seriously when they actually found to have NCAA violations.

Trust me, the allegations against USC are all true.  I'm not just saying this as sour grapes, but rather from knowledge of the situation.  The fact that the NCAA hasn't come down on them is quite appalling.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hawianiceman on March 24, 2009, 04:00:51 am
Which is why is said........yet. Do I believe USC is paying bball recruits I don't know but look at their recent bball recruits what does that tell you about what they are doing http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=925402.

i'm not doubting the caliber of the recruits they're pulling in.  And trust me, what happened this year concerns me immensely.  I realize our program is in a crisis phase as of now, but I'm not sure whether firing John Pelphrey is the answer. However, I'm not convinced that John Pelphrey IS the answer either. We haven't shown improvement as a team (in fact, we got worse) and all the discipline hasn't seemed to work, and just absolutely nothing seems to be going right as of now.

Hogimus Prime

March 24, 2009, 04:19:43 am #45 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:37:08 am by Hogimus Prime
if i'm coach Cal i'm not leaving Memphis for Kentucky.   Those fans are crazier than us.  i know they have a history over there but they ran off a good coach in Tubby Smith and they are wanting BCG fired after 2 years.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 24, 2009, 04:19:43 am
if i'm coach Cal i'm not leaving Memphis for Kentucky.   Those fans are crazier than us.  i know they have a history over there but they ran off a good coach in Tubby Smith and they are wanting BCG fired after 3 years.
actually, BCG has been there 2 years
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 24, 2009, 04:19:43 am
if i'm coach Cal i'm not leaving Memphis for Kentucky.   Those fans are crazier than us.  i know they have a history over there but they ran off a good coach in Tubby Smith and they are wanting BCG fired after 3 years.

I wouldn't go to Kentucky either.  They couldn't stand a cheating coach, and their expectations are high.  Not making the NCAAs is an unpardonable sin at Kentucky.  Losing to Creighton today would have sealed it for BCG.  His performances have been worse than what Tubby Smith did in his last 2 years at Kentucky.  No, Calipari is better off staying at Memphis.  Kentucky needs someone who understands and respects the fanbase as well. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 24, 2009, 04:33:54 am
               actually, BCG has been there 2 years

fixed it.   

Pork Twain

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 24, 2009, 02:46:03 am
As nice as I think it is that you cheer for the Indianapolis Colts of college basketball and keep doing your "little engine that could" routine, I look forward to the day that Memphis falls back off the Memphis basketball map.

The mid 90's, for me personally, were grand. Memphis was dormant (save for the defending national champs beating Memphis in Kansas City in 1995) and the Razorbacks were a power.

History or not, Arkansas has something that Memphis has never and will never see, a national championship.

Heck, I still remember the parade and the big fuss about Memphis winning the NIT two years in a row around here. Dajuan Wagner was suppose to be Carmelo Anthony before we heard about 'melo. Memphis won the NIT and celebrated like it had never celebrated before.

Now, a couple sweet 16s and Memphis is John Wooden's UCLA dynasty? Spare me. And don't come back here until your team wins a championship.
You need to back away from the Haterade.  What did Memphis ever do to you?  Nobody is comparing them to UCLA, but one championship and they are just as good as we are.  Some of you guys need to stay off your high horse.  Makes you sound like a pompus ass.