Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis up by 20 with 14 min left in the game vs. Maryland

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 21, 2009, 03:47:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

So much for you suckas who think Memphis can't play. They played a very similar schedule last season and got to the NC game. They are ready for this NCAAT. I think they make the Elite Eight easily.

Calipari = SI's Coach of the Year
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

N HOG

It's painful watching them, realizing how much better they are than the Hogs -- and how much  better coached.

rzrbackrob

Memphis is playing well today, but being a hog fan I am more excited to see if the baseball team can win two in a row at Auburn.
Good is the enemy of great

ironside

If Memphis was playing in the ACC, they would have a losing season.

yraciv

hawg in memphis

Quote from: ironside on March 21, 2009, 04:17:37 pm
If Memphis was playing in the ACC, they would have a losing season.

Please------better to say nothing and let people think your stupid,than write something like that and prove it-----

Table Rocker

ironside

Quote from: hawg in memphis on March 21, 2009, 04:37:32 pm
Please------better to say nothing and let people think your stupid,than write something like that and prove it-----

You don't seem some smart yourself, either.

yraciv

Quote from: ironside on March 21, 2009, 05:48:14 pm
You don't seem some smart yourself, either.

The ACC with two teams left, and remind me what conference Maryland is in?  I assumed you were being sarcastic, but I guess not.

ironside

Quote from: yraciv on March 21, 2009, 05:50:15 pm
The ACC with two teams left, and remind me what conference Maryland is in?  I assumed you were being sarcastic, but I guess not.

They'd have a losing record in the league -- probably win all of their games outside the league, losing record in the league. The ACC is too tough. You can't just win games night in and night out because you're so athletic."

rzrbackrob

N HOG

Quote from: ironside on March 21, 2009, 06:00:14 pm
They'd have a losing record in the league -- probably win all of their games outside the league, losing record in the league. The ACC is too tough. You can't just win games night in and night out because you're so athletic."

Funny. You did intend for this to be funny, didn't you?

3kgthog

They beat Maryland. This isn't the Juan Dixon and Steve Blake Maryland team.

idiotghos

Go Tigers.

Missouri Tigers, that is.  Knock memphis out in the sweet sixteen so we don't have to hear any more of this.

Hawgin84

This is the year Memphis wins it all. I don't like Memphis at all! Can't stand them, despise Caliqueerie, but I think they win it this year.

donewithdale

Quote from: N HOG on March 21, 2009, 03:58:16 pm
It's painful watching them, realizing how much better they are than the Hogs -- and how much  better coached.

You have some issues if every good college team you watch is painful because of the Hogs current state.  Your agenda is past annoying.  No need to reach into TigerinMemphis' thread to bash us again. 

Niels Boar

The odd thing is that Memphis advanced on the basis of their offense. They were 21 of 37 from the arc on the weekend.  This from a team that shot 33% from the arc on the season.  If they shoot that well from the perimeter, they should be unbeatable. A return to the mean is more likely.  Maryland actually scored at a decent rate.  They just couldn't defend at all.  As I stated before the tourney, the Terps were right in Memphis' wheelhouse.  Their weaknesses were matched against Memphis' strengths.  Neither Missouri nor Marquette match up great with Memphis either.  However, Missouri would be the best defensive team Memphis has faced this season.  Their abilty to defend all over the floor at every position could give Memphis trouble.

SLC

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 21, 2009, 10:49:03 pm
The odd thing is that Memphis advanced on the basis of their offense. They were 21 of 37 from the arc on the weekend.  This from a team that shot 33% from the arc on the season.  If they shoot that well from the perimeter, they should be unbeatable. A return to the mean is more likely.  Maryland actually scored at a decent rate.  They just couldn't defend at all.  As I stated before the tourney, the Terps were right in Memphis' wheelhouse.  Their weaknesses were matched against Memphis' strengths.  Neither Missouri nor Marquette match up great with Memphis either.  However, Missouri would be the best defensive team Memphis has faced this season.  Their abilty to defend all over the floor at every position could give Memphis trouble.

Couldn't we also say the same about Mizzou.  Memphis will be the best defense Mizzou has seen all season. 

I really like Memphis to make it to the Elite 8 too.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Niels Boar

Quote from: SLC on March 21, 2009, 11:03:20 pm
Couldn't we also say the same about Mizzou.  Memphis will be the best defense Mizzou has seen all season. 

Memphis would be the favorite.  It goes without saying that they are supposed to bother Missouri. Maybe they are the best defensive team Missouri has seen.  Kansas is awfully good on defense against a much tougher schedule.  Memphis held teams to 40% in effective FG% during the season.  Both opponents this weekend shot around 50% against them.  Their defensive stats are probably inflated. 

However, Missouri is guardable.  I would favor Memphis if Missouri advances.  If Memphis locks them down, blocks a lot of shots, and kills them on the boards, they win in a blowout.  On the other hand, Taylor and Tiller are as good a defensive backcourt as there is in the nation.  Lyons also draws tons of fouls.  It would help if he got Rozier in foul trouble. If Missouri's pressure and versatility were to bother Memphis on offense, it could degenerate into a scrum like the Kansas-Missouri tilt in Columbia.  Missouri handles the ball very well, and their forwards can hit jump shots.  In that event if Missouri gets solid perimeter shooting, they could win.  Missouri beating Marquette isn't exactly a done deal, though.  It should be close.

SLC

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 21, 2009, 11:28:46 pm
Memphis would be the favorite.  It goes without saying that they are supposed to bother Missouri. Maybe they are the best defensive team Missouri has seen.  Kansas is awfully good on defense against a much tougher schedule.  Memphis held teams to 40% in effective FG% during the season.  Both opponents this weekend shot around 50% against them.  Their defensive stats are probably inflated. 

However, Missouri is guardable.  I would favor Memphis if Missouri advances.  If Memphis locks them down, blocks a lot of shots, and kills them on the boards, they win in a blowout.  On the other hand, Taylor and Tiller are as good a defensive backcourt as there is in the nation.  Lyons also draws tons of fouls.  It would help if he got Rozier in foul trouble. If Missouri's pressure and versatility were to bother Memphis on offense, it could degenerate into a scrum like the Kansas-Missouri tilt in Columbia.  Missouri handles the ball very well, and their forwards can hit jump shots.  In that event if Missouri gets solid perimeter shooting, they could win.  Missouri beating Marquette isn't exactly a done deal, though.  It should be close.

I don't know, it seems (please correct me if I am wrong, I certainly am not an expert on Mizzou) Mizzou has had it's biggest problems on the road.  That same Kansas team blew Mizzou out at KS.  But since the game will be in KC, maybe that works to Mizzou's favor and they play Memphis tough or even win. 

Thanks Niels,

SLC
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

The Boar War

Quote from: N HOG on March 21, 2009, 03:58:16 pm

I just enjoy watching college basketball.  Its going to be a rough couple of weeks if you feel pain everytime you see a team or coach that's better than ours.

eathill5

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

N HOG

Quote from: The Boar War on March 22, 2009, 09:35:00 am
I just enjoy watching college basketball.  Its going to be a rough couple of weeks if you feel pain everytime you see a team or coach that's better than ours.

I'm over it now.

Have resigned myself to our fate.

ironside

Quote from: eathill5 on March 22, 2009, 04:58:32 pm
mizzou will beat them badly.

Maybe so. I'm hoping one of Mizzou player's will let it be known Memphis would have a losing record in the Big12 too.

heathtits

Whoopdie doo. They beat the worst team in the ACC to make the Tourni and they're in the easiest bracket.

Mizzou would be a much tougher game than Pitt for them me thinks.

They will be living on a prayer to make it past the Elite 8.

Calipari coach of the year? HAHAHAHA. Mike Anderson, Bill Self, Jamie Dickson, or even Jim Boeheim are 300x more deserving.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: heathtits on March 22, 2009, 11:35:16 pm
Whoopdie doo. They beat the worst team in the ACC to make the Tourni and they're in the easiest bracket.

Mizzou would be a much tougher game than Pitt for them me thinks.

They will be living on a prayer to make it past the Elite 8.

Calipari coach of the year? HAHAHAHA. Mike Anderson, Bill Self, Jamie Dickson, or even Jim Boeheim are 300x more deserving.
Memphis will beat missouri by double digits.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Beaverfever

Memphis would have a losing record in the ACC?  Seriously?  Wow, I've heard everything.  They should have won the NC last year and they have won 27 or so games in a row.  Get over your jealousy.  Memphis is as good as a program as there is these days. 

heathtits

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 23, 2009, 02:22:27 pm
Memphis would have a losing record in the ACC?  Seriously?  Wow, I've heard everything.  They should have won the NC last year and they have won 27 or so games in a row.  Get over your jealousy.  Memphis is as good as a program as there is these days. 

If you were talking to me I'm not jealous and I'm not denying they're a top program but to say Cal as of now is the coach of the year is a joke. I named 4 above that deserve it more than him. Add Travis Ford to that list.

And why not start a Duke, UCONN, UNC thread just like this and say UNC up 20 on so and so. Roy Williams coach of the year? Same for Mike or Jimmy. Its obnoxious and arrogant especially on a hog board.

Its a stupid thread designed to piss people off who aren't in the mood after a horrible hog season.

heathtits

Beaverfever

I'm talking to anybody that thinks Memphis would have a losing record in the ACC. 

heathtits

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 23, 2009, 02:30:13 pm
I'm talking to anybody that thinks Memphis would have a losing record in the ACC. 

Oh Agreed, that statement was much dumber than this thread.

donewithdale

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 23, 2009, 02:30:13 pm

That's crazy.  Maryland finished 7-9 and Memphis was clearly better on a neutral court.  Just for the sake of conversation, allow Memphis to have the same roster they have now even though the ACC tends to recruit a different type of student athlete at many of the universities than Memphis. Memphis probably could have finished 2nd with 4 or 5 losses and would have ended up exactly where they are now - a 2 seed.

ACC standings
UNC 13-3
Duke 11-5
Wake 11-5
FSU 10-6
Clem 9-7
BC 9-7
MD 7-9

HognotinMemphis

ironside

Quote from: heathtits on March 23, 2009, 02:25:56 pm
If you were talking to me I'm not jealous and I'm not denying they're a top program but to say Cal as of now is the coach of the year is a joke. I named 4 above that deserve it more than him. Add Travis Ford to that list.

And why not start a Duke, UCONN, UNC thread just like this and say UNC up 20 on so and so. Roy Williams coach of the year? Same for Mike or Jimmy. Its obnoxious and arrogant especially on a hog board.

Its a stupid thread designed to piss people off who aren't in the mood after a horrible hog season.

I don't think he started this thread to inflame people. Memphis is different to us hog fans than UCONN,UNC,etc. They are a local basketball school that is a non-threat in football. Many locals in the tri-state area are big time hog fans(check) that are excited with the town how well Memphis is doing since the Hogs are unfortunately not in the tournament this year. It is ok to be a hog fan and root for Memphis basketball. You have my permission.

UofMemphis

Quote from: heathtits on March 23, 2009, 02:25:56 pm

why shouldn't Cal be in consideration?

1) he has ALREADY been named SI's Coach of the Year for 2009.

2) Memphis lost 3 starters in: Joey Dorsey, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Derrick Rose to the NBA and STILL got to 31 wins, top-3 in the polls, a #2 seed, and a 20+ game winning streak.

3) Memphis is now the winningest single season team...and the winningest program over a 4 year period.

Bill Self and John Calipari should be the only 2 coaches in consideration...i give Cal the nod...and so does Sports Illustrated.

whole lotta Memphis hate on this board....
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

donewithdale

Quote from: ironside on March 23, 2009, 08:01:48 pm
I don't think he started this thread to inflame people. Memphis is different to us hog fans than UCONN,UNC,etc. They are a local basketball school that is a non-threat in football. Many locals in the tri-state area are big time hog fans(check) that are excited with the town how well Memphis is doing since the Hogs are unfortunately not in the tournament this year. It is ok to be a hog fan and root for Memphis basketball. You have my permission.

You are right.  TigerinMemphis can't be accused of starting this thread to flame.  He did call posters "suckas" but that is mild.  Now it also reasonable for posters here to take this as a flame given the number of threads and posts he makes using Memphis' success to bash the Arkansas program.

As far as liking Memphis, you choose to do so.  I was a fan too once back in the 80's when we didn't have a series with them and I didn't understand the cesspool that is Memphis recruiting and didn't get their jealousy of the non city colleges that surrounded them(not talking specifically basketball).  I used to go see the Tigers in the Mid South Coliseum long before many of you bandwagon jumpers even knew Memphis STATE was a college.  Once our series started, my loyalty went to where it should be as, at the time, an Ark student and now grad.  Once our series ended, I wasn't going to jump back on the Memphis bandwagon with all of the negative crap that has come out of there about the Hogs.  That lying piece of crap Easterwood along with Gary Parrish did it for me on Memphis when they deliberately tried to harm our program.

So you Hog fans that support Memphis, go ahead.  But don't think those of us that despise Memphis don't have our reasons.

heathtits

Quote from: UofMemphis on March 23, 2009, 11:18:08 pm
why shouldn't Cal be in consideration?

1) he has ALREADY been named SI's Coach of the Year for 2009.

2) Memphis lost 3 starters in: Joey Dorsey, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Derrick Rose to the NBA and STILL got to 31 wins, top-3 in the polls, a #2 seed, and a 20+ game winning streak.

3) Memphis is now the winningest single season team...and the winningest program over a 4 year period.

Bill Self and John Calipari should be the only 2 coaches in consideration...i give Cal the nod...and so does Sports Illustrated.

whole lotta Memphis hate on this board....

There is no Memphis hate here. They are a great team and have had huge success recently. No one is denying that.

But until they play a major conference schedule, I will never put them in the same light as other top programs.

HognotinMemphis

A team doesn't make the Sweet 16 or better FOUR YEARS IN A ROW without a damn great head coach who is very good at coaching before, during and after games. Double Period and END OF STORY.

heathtits

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2009, 03:57:47 pm
A team doesn't make the Sweet 16 or better FOUR YEARS IN A ROW without a damn great head coach who is very good at coaching before, during and after games. Double Period and END OF STORY.

Its really not that hard to make the sweet 16 when you're guaranteed at least a 3 seed almost every year even if your team isn't that good.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2009, 03:57:47 pm

A great coach wins national championships when he has better talent.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: heathtits on March 25, 2009, 04:04:41 pm
Its really not that hard to make the sweet 16 when you're guaranteed at least a 3 seed almost every year even if your team isn't that good.
Ahhhhh. Tell that to all the 2 and 3 seeds who don't make the Sweet 16 every year.

heathtits

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2009, 07:59:07 pm
Ahhhhh. Tell that to all the 2 and 3 seeds who don't make the Sweet 16 every year.

Very true.

But with that kind of talent coming in YEAR after YEAR, I'm not ready to call Cal a "great" until he wins it all. I said the same for Roy until he won it all, although not with his players.

Players can take you very far, but the coach has to bring them over the cusp.

sickboy

Quote from: heathtits on March 25, 2009, 08:05:37 pm
Very true.

But with that kind of talent coming in YEAR after YEAR, I'm not ready to call Cal a "great" until he wins it all. I said the same for Roy until he won it all, although not with his players.

Players can take you very far, but the coach has to bring them over the cusp.

Look, I get what you're saying. But the guy has won 5 A10 championships, 4 Conference USA championships, 1 NIT Championship, as of now 3 sweet 16 appearances, 4 elite 8 appearances, 2 Final Four appearances, 1 National Championship appearance, he's a 2 time coach of the year recipient and holds an all time win percentage of .762.

That to me is a great coach.

heathtits

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on March 25, 2009, 10:44:45 pm
Look, I get what you're saying. But the guy has won 5 A10 championships, 4 Conference USA championships, 1 NIT Championship, as of now 3 sweet 16 appearances, 4 elite 8 appearances, 2 Final Four appearances, 1 National Championship appearance, he's a 2 time coach of the year recipient and holds an all time win percentage of .762.

That to me is a great coach.

No doubt, his resume is up there if not better than some of the best.

But you gotta win it all to be greatness. No one remembers second place.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 21, 2009, 03:47:18 pm
So much for you suckas who think Memphis can't play. They played a very similar schedule last season and got to the NC game. They are ready for this NCAAT. I think they make the Elite Eight easily.

Calipari = SI's Coach of the Year

Oops.

eathill5

Get over it.

eathill5

Quote from: SLC on March 21, 2009, 11:03:20 pm

I guess somebody forgot to tell Mizzou about their defense.
Get over it.

akp4105

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 23, 2009, 01:29:19 pm
Memphis will beat missouri by double digits.

Double digits? Going to the elite 8 easily? Let's hear the excuses. .