Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema at combine w Patriots

Started by twistitup, March 04, 2018, 06:24:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The OTR

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 04, 2018, 02:15:03 pm
Rumors that Bo Mattingly's "Being Bill Belichik's jelly sandwich Boy" is in the works.

Fixed that for you.

Athog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 04, 2018, 08:25:09 am
Belichick has said that he likes Bielema. Maybe this is his next opportunity. Hope he gets it and learns some stuff then gets back in the game. I'm glad he's gone, but I hope he lands in his feet again.

Good post! I agree.

Athog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 04, 2018, 08:31:49 am
Is he going to help them recognize big and slow?

Are the athletes Morris is bragging on big and slow?

twistitup

Quote from: Athog on March 13, 2018, 06:59:00 am
Are the athletes Morris is bragging on big and slow?

They are in the process of losing weight and getting into SEC shape....that didn't seem to be a focus of the previous staff.

Just think of the W's we COULD have had if the focus was on conditioning to make it through 4qtrs of football.

We are competing against each other - it's hard to tell what you have.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Cure

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 12, 2018, 02:40:01 pmDoes everyone just think that he made some huge mistake by talking to BB? I highly doubt Bill suddenly became incompetent in his decision making.
Absolutely not, the guy didn't forget how to evaluate or coach, it just didn't work out for him at Arkansas.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

twistitup

Quote from: Cure on March 13, 2018, 07:31:18 am
Absolutely not, the guy didn't forget how to evaluate or coach, it just didn't work out for him at Arkansas.

I think he would still be a head coach if he could find a staff....

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Cure on March 13, 2018, 07:31:18 am

100% agree.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

twistitup

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 13, 2018, 09:35:41 am
100% agree.

....but why could he not keep a quality staff together? It hard to be an CEO style head coach if you don't have assistants under you to manage.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: twistitup on March 13, 2018, 09:50:04 am
....but why could he not keep a quality staff together? It hard to be an CEO style head coach if you don't have assistants under you to manage.

That's a great question and I don't have the answers. I wouldn't doubt if many left so they didn't have to play the SEC West and ruin the numbers that will go into the record books with their names by it.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

RME

Probably because his huge ego got in the way. He had great assistants. I just personally think he held them on such short leashes that it affected more than we realize in terms of playcalling, development, etc.

jkstock04

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 12, 2018, 02:40:01 pm
So, I'm just going to say it, but Belichick is one of the best coaches in NFL history. He's notorious for finding talent. Does everyone just think that he made some huge mistake by talking to BB? I highly doubt Bill suddenly became incompetent in his decision making.

Maybe...just maybe...there's a highly bitter group here who will just moan no matter what about a coach weve already fired.
Anyone who thinks Bielema is an awesome or even good coach has to have an absolute piss poor view of Arkansas or the ability for ANYONE to coach here. In other words, this coaching job is an impossibility since a coach of Bielemas (supposed) caliber couldn't get it done. That's the only excuse in his corner. Seems legit to me. /s

Unfortunately for us, Bielema did paint this as a reality of our program at least by outside perception. Instead of being a middle of the road team that competes for the conference on occasion...we are now a cellar dweller that competes for middle of the road on occasion. It will be up to Chad Morris to change that perception.

What an awful 5 year stretch...I just can't buy it that Bielema really is a great coach, "it just didn't work out here." That is so cliche and homeristic...especially if you somehow believe that AND have the opinion it is possible to compete for championships here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 13, 2018, 12:28:10 pm
Anyone who thinks Bielema is an awesome or even good coach has to have an absolute piss poor view of Arkansas or the ability for ANYONE to coach here. In other words, this coaching job is an impossibility since a coach of Bielemas (supposed) caliber couldn't get it done. That's the only excuse in his corner. Seems legit to me. /s

Unfortunately for us, Bielema did paint this as a reality of our program at least by outside perception. Instead of being a middle of the road team that competes for the conference on occasion...we are now a cellar dweller that competes for middle of the road on occasion. It will be up to Chad Morris to change that perception.

What an awful 5 year stretch...I just can't buy it that Bielema really is a great coach, "it just didn't work out here." That is so cliche and homeristic...especially if you somehow believe that AND have the opinion it is possible to compete for championships here.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, but the downfall of BB was trying to become Alabama and just try to use a "I'm gonna line up against you and we're going to impose our will on you" mentality that he used at Wisconsin. I don't think he's an elite coach in any way, but trying to do things his way was just an uphill battle from the start going through the SECW.

I wish him the best as he may be getting his foot in the door with an Elite NFL coach, but I'm glad we've turned the page and have moved on to the next chapter with s coach I have high expectations for.

AirWarren

Hog N Bama

I don't think he's a good coach at all. Good talker yes.

Vantage 8 dude

Frankly I could care less about where (former) Coach BB lands. I do not wish him ill; however, after the past five years I just wish him gone.....which we finally got thankfully.

LZH

Ring a ding ding.....

SooieGeneris

Without getting the players in top condition, it wouldn't have mattered who was on the staff IMO.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

twistitup

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 13, 2018, 05:02:17 pm
Without getting the players in top condition, it wouldn't have mattered who was on the staff IMO.

I agree....conditioning is a big part of it, hard to win when you can't finish.

farmhawg

Amen, anyone that thinks he is a head coach, just review the last five years. Worst coach we have ever had and that includes smiley.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hawganatic

Anyone who thinks Bielema is an awesome or even good coach has to have an absolute piss poor view of Arkansas or the ability for ANYONE to coach here.

Just because it didn't work doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad coach, or that Arkansas is a bad job.  Sometimes it's just a bad match, plain and simple.  It's like a bad marriage.  Doesn't always mean that there is something wrong with him or her, just a bad match.  Move on and find a better match.

And I'm not saying that to say that Beliema is a good coach, just showing how your either/or mindset on this is wrong.

pumphog

Bielema was also at Sam Darnold's pro day today.  Looked rested and a little trimmer.  Amazing what a few months off with money will do.

razorbackfaninar

The only conclusion you can draw is that Brett Bielema was a bad coach for Arkansas.  I don't think anyone can go so far as to say he's a great coach, but he's not devoid of football knowledge and a complete idiot as a lot of people on here would like you to believe.  He wasn't good at the job he was hired for at Arkansas. I think that it is possible to be extremely competitive and yes even potentially compete for championships here, I also think that Bielema is not a moron who knows nothing about the game of football. Those two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. If I hired Stephen Hawking to cut my grass when he was alive I can pretty much tell you he would have been terrible at it.  That doesn't make him an idiot or mean that he has nothing to contribute, just that he was bad at the job I hired him for.  I think the same about Bielema.  He may not be a good head coach, or maybe just not a good SEC head coach, he definitely wasn't a good head coach at Arkansas, but i think the man knows a lot about the game

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 04, 2018, 08:25:09 am
Belichick has said that he likes Bielema. Maybe this is his next opportunity. Hope he gets it and learns some stuff then gets back in the game. I’m glad he’s gone, but I hope he lands in his feet again.

$11 million, or whatever he got, is a pretty soft landing.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Cinco de Hogo

A man can have a great job but if he doesn't bring home the bacon he's not a good provider.  That was CBB, a lot of fans evidently don't like bacon!

alohawg

So this is how the Patriot dynasty ends....
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 21, 2018, 04:57:39 pm
$11 million, or whatever he got, is a pretty soft landing.

I'd be willing to wager if you asked him if he'd rather have $4 million or $11 million and nationwide humiliation, he'd go with the former.

twistitup

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 21, 2018, 06:18:53 pm
I'd be willing to wager if you asked him if he'd rather have $4 million or $11 million and nationwide humiliation, he'd go with the former.

Tito disagrees

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Some of you guys need to start charging Bret rent as he is living rent free in your heads. ;D
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on March 22, 2018, 06:36:29 pm
Some of you guys need to start charging Bret rent as he is living rent free in your heads. ;D

What's the difference between Bret and Lou or Ken or, wait skip those guys, Danny or Hootie or Bob or, wait skip that guy?

Right! Actually quite a bit, Ole Bret set a bunch of historical records some of you are mighty proud of.  How much was it those records cost us, right at 50 million for Bret and his boss.

Hawgphat

I'm not going to publicly disrespect Bret Bielema.  That would serve no useful purpose whatsoever.  He obviously was regressing the program rather than progressing it, and a change at the helm had to be made.  He's gone now; - - and I wish him well anywhere else.

jkstock04

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on March 21, 2018, 04:39:07 pm
The only conclusion you can draw is that Brett Bielema was a bad coach for Arkansas.  I don't think anyone can go so far as to say he's a great coach, but he's not devoid of football knowledge and a complete idiot as a lot of people on here would like you to believe.  He wasn't good at the job he was hired for at Arkansas. I think that it is possible to be extremely competitive and yes even potentially compete for championships here, I also think that Bielema is not a moron who knows nothing about the game of football. Those two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. If I hired Stephen Hawking to cut my grass when he was alive I can pretty much tell you he would have been terrible at it.  That doesn't make him an idiot or mean that he has nothing to contribute, just that he was bad at the job I hired him for.  I think the same about Bielema.  He may not be a good head coach, or maybe just not a good SEC head coach, he definitely wasn't a good head coach at Arkansas, but i think the man knows a lot about the game

Stephen Hawking cutting your grass does not seem to me to be equivalent to Bret Bielema coaching Arkansas football. Now if Stephen Hawking were to have wrote an essay on a book he supposedly knew frontwards and back...and failed miserably, that would be a closer ironic hypothetical comparison to the Bielema days of Arkansas football.

We are fresh off a 4 win season...two or three points away from a 2 win season. The only excuse for Bielema would be "because Arkansas." I would bet every last penny I have that's his sales pitch to the Patriots or whoever. I don't buy it. Ya...this isn't a plush job like Georgia or Alabama...but it's been proven we can compete much better than shown of late. And I don't think that's simply circumstantial. Jeff Long held the tail of the donkey and Bielema did you know what.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: farmhawg on March 13, 2018, 09:20:24 pm
Amen, anyone that thinks he is a head coach, just review the last five years. Worst coach we have ever had and that includes smiley.
yep
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 22, 2018, 06:44:16 pm
What's the difference between Bret and Lou or Ken or, wait skip those guys, Danny or Hootie or Bob or, wait skip that guy?

Right! Actually quite a bit, Ole Bret set a bunch of historical records some of you are mighty proud of.  How much was it those records cost us, right at 50 million for Bret and his boss.

I've moved on dude. Join me,won't you?
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on March 23, 2018, 12:58:34 am
I've moved on dude. Join me,won't you?

Nobody moves on, we'll be talking about Ole Bret 50 yeas from now.  And you'll read the threads and tell everyone to move on.  LOL!

jkstock04

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 23, 2018, 10:32:16 pm
Nobody moves on, we'll be talking about Ole Bret 50 yeas from now.  And you'll read the threads and tell everyone to move on.  LOL!
I'll move on but I'll never forget. The way our media and a portion of this fan base puts terrible coaches and administrators above the program itself "because they are nice guys" and all the other fluff stuff that doesn't mean diddly when it comes to competing in the SEC is something that will never cease to amaze me.

There are a lot of hurt feelings over who was wrong and who was right during this entire ordeal. Those who were wrong want it to just kind of quietly go away lol. I probably would too.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

twistitup

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 24, 2018, 06:47:55 pm

I'll move on but I'll never forget.

Those who were wrong want it to just kind of quietly go away lol. I probably would too.