Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smash mouth spread offense (Break Down)

Started by ambien_sky, December 15, 2017, 09:24:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ambien_sky

Here is a detailed and comprehensive break down of Chad Morris'  Smash Mouth Spread Offense.  It's from 2015,  but a great read.  It really shows how this offense can work brilliantly with kids that aren't exactly 5 star players.  I think this offense will work well here at Arkansas.  It also talks about Gus Malzahn clearly being an influence. 

When Gus recommended him,  I don't think he had ill intent like some believe here.  Arkansas wanted Gus,  and when he decided to stay at Auburn, I think he recommended a coach that would be very similar to him.  Here is the link.

//https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hawgmasta

Gotta get your all stars, get your game on and get paid. All that glitters is gold. Championships baby

oldhog63

"The main challenge with building a run game around both inside zone and power is that the guards need to be able to mash people on zone to get movement against the front and understand footwork and combo blocks, but they also must be mobile enough to pull on power and experienced in reading flow on the move."

Myself and others have asked about Hjalte Froholdt given he can also be a dominant defensive lineman. I think Hjalte will be great in executing the quote above. Who would fill the other guard?

DThog90

Quote from: oldhog63 on December 15, 2017, 09:39:46 am
"The main challenge with building a run game around both inside zone and power is that the guards need to be able to mash people on zone to get movement against the front and understand footwork and combo blocks, but they also must be mobile enough to pull on power and experienced in reading flow on the move."

Myself and others have asked about Hjalte Froholdt given he can also be a dominant defensive lineman. I think Hjalte will be great in executing the quote above. Who would fill the other guard?
Best of the rest. Clary,  Gibson, Deion Malone? What happened with this guy?

oldhog63

Quote from: DThog90 on December 15, 2017, 10:08:08 am
Best of the rest. Clary,  Gibson, Deion Malone? What happened with this guy?
Clary would need to get stronger as I didn't see him getting much movement. But, to his defense, he should never have been put in that situation as a freshman. Hopefully, an offseason in the weight room will help.

redleg

I can see Hammonds and Hayden being big-time play makers in this offense!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Yamahog

It will be SO interesting to see how the new coach utilizes the current players in his new system. I think it will work out great!