Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have our own "Catfish Hole" here in SW Ark

Started by labb, December 11, 2017, 10:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

#1 STUNNA

not sure who the kid in the middle is.. but Bishop is on the left and Montaric Brown is on the right.

#1 STUNNA

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:32:59 pm
I don't know much but I do know that the catfish down there isn't as good as the catfish at the catfish hole. I don't want to get into a big debate about it as I have debated this topic at length with such stubborn members as ricepig. 

But let's not start comparing the Fish Bowl to the catfish hole.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation on this matter.
Have you ever even eaten at the Fish Bowl in Ashdown? So you can honestly compare the 2? If so, when?

goodguytex

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 11, 2017, 01:24:00 pm
I'm sorry, I just don't like the catfish at the Catfish Hole :( preference I guess.

It's too flat and the breading is always on edge of being burnt. I've had way better catfish in NWA than Catfish Hole. Catfish John's and Flying Fish in Rogers both have really good, thick pieces of catfish.

Garland City in SW Arkansas has two catfish restaurants that are just excellent. Westshore and Doc's are right on the river so I'd be shocked if it didn't come from there. It's a must try if you're ever in the area.
Yup. Westshore and Docs are both exceptional for their catfish. I've eaten there many times.

goodguytex

Quote from: HawgHawk on December 11, 2017, 04:14:17 pm
Do you remember the Hush Puppy, just south of the river on Hwy 71?
I do. I used to know the owner years ago. Real nice too. Worked hard. Great food.
Dadgum yall! Got me hungry for catfish and hush puppies now!

HighcountryHog

no bumps, no fat chicks

Ugly Uncle

Tadpole's in Pleasant Plains is pretty good.  People come from miles around to eat there.  I like the buffet there better than just getting a few pieces at the other places.

White River catfish.  That is the best.
Retired Radio Host

Three and Snout

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:50:15 pm
He put on that solid weight loading up on the all you can eat catch at the catfish hole and I'll beg anyone's pardon for disagreeing with that statement.

They haven't had the all you can eat catch in several years.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2017, 11:25:58 am
That's the Domtar paper mill, biggest employer in Ashdown. It stinks, but folks that work there make a great living.

You know when you're in a town with a paper mill.  I worked at the plywood mill in Mountain Pine a very long time ago.  Both mills are good employers.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Razorbackrowe77

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 06:51:08 pm

No truer statement and if someone says otherwise they are a liar.

Westshore is phenomenal & Spruell's can hold their own too.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: majestic on December 11, 2017, 04:32:49 pm
Catfish is disgusting.

Catfish is not disgusting.  It is one of my favorites when filleted.

The Fish Nest in Glenwood is very good on Friday nights.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

rzrbk4life

Tadpole's in Pleasant Plains is pretty good.  People come from miles around to eat there.  I like the buffet there better than just getting a few pieces at the other places.

Never have been there but pass by often. Will have to stop by now
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Arky

Quote from: rzrbk4life on December 11, 2017, 07:19:02 pm
me 2.......wonder what days they're open

sigpooie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Cassperr

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:50:15 pm
I did NOT want to get into this today but I'm all mixed up in another catfish debate so here goes.

The Red River is fine for noodling catfish. I've noodled a bunch of big flatheads out of the river and it's one of my favorite places to noodle.

Having said that all these places that serve catfish in TX and south Arkansas probably aren't getting them from the Red River.  Maybe some gas stations are but I doubt too many restaurants are. If you can provide proof that they are then I'll be a big enough man to come in here and say I'm wrong.

Catfish hole has the best catfish in the state. They may get a little cheap when they're handing out fries but I ain't ever ate a bad piece of catfish from the catfish hole and if you think CBB would have packed on 150 pounds eating Red River south Arkansas catfish you are delusional. He put on that solid weight loading up on the all you can eat catch at the catfish hole and I'll beg anyone's pardon for disagreeing with that statement.

red river catfish is muddy!!!  yuck yuck yuck.  My mom has owned a fish market here in Texarkana going on 39 years and 95% of the fish comes from the Arkansas river. In the small chance we do get it from red river, customers can tell a difference.  As for the fish bowl, thats all farm raised catfish.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

Cassperr

Quote from: Razorbackrowe77 on December 11, 2017, 07:06:38 pm
No truer statement and if someone says otherwise they are a liar.

Westshore is phenomenal & Spruell's can hold their own too.

Westshore is a place that gets a lot of my money!!!  HAHA, love me some westshore!
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: rzrbk4life on December 11, 2017, 07:19:02 pm
Quote from: Arky on December 11, 2017, 07:22:38 pm
me 2.......wonder what days they're open

Come on by.  I live just down the road from there.

I think they are open Thurs-Sat. from 3pm until 9.
Sundays from 12-3

Not sure if those are right, but I think so.  They might also be open on Wednesday nights.  I'm not sure.

Their frog legs are the best.
Retired Radio Host

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: swinemaster on December 11, 2017, 12:54:30 pm
Catfish is Catfish. Period.
yeah, but the catfish from South Arkansas cannot be topped....we have streams and ponds where those bottom feeding bastids live...the CH may have the better hushpuppies, but no way do they have the better catfish, it would be like saying Green Bay, WI serves better gumbo than they do in New 'Awlins...sacrilege
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2017, 06:27:03 pm
Have you ever even eaten at the Fish Bowl in Ashdown? So you can honestly compare the 2? If so, when?

Yes I have. I last are there in August. 

I can honestly compare the two. 

And they're not getting their catfish from the red river.  They're buying them from somewhere else.  They're getting smaller catfish.  Not the big flathead like I've noodled out of the red river.

I've ate catfish from all over the world.  And I live about fifty paces from a lake where i can sit on my boat dock and catch a mess of those tasty little rascals any day from may until September.  So I know more about catfish than your average guy and if I say the catfish hole is better than the fish bowl you need to take notes and not ask any questions sonny. 

SamBuckhart

I love pretty much all catfish if it doesn't come from the Mekong Delta. And its cooked right in peanut oil. Mekong fish  :puke:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Arky

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 08:00:50 pm

Sundays from 12-3

Not sure if those are right, but I think so.  They might also be open on Wednesday nights.  I'm not sure.

might just do that after Christmas.........if so, i'll pm ya & buy ya lunch/dinner

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Arky on December 11, 2017, 08:38:28 pm
might just do that after Christmas.........if so, i'll pm ya & buy ya lunch/dinner

Look forward to it!  Honk when you go by the church up on the hill across from the High School.  That is where I normally am.
Retired Radio Host

HogBreath

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 11, 2017, 07:04:34 pm
You know when you're in a town with a paper mill.  I worked at the plywood mill in Mountain Pine a very long time ago.  Both mills are good employers.
green end or dry end?  or layup?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ThinPiggy

Nick's BBQ in Carlisle (30 miles east of LR) has the best Catfish in the State of Arkansas. I'm kind of a catfish connoisseur.

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 08:14:36 pm
Yes I have. I last are there in August. 

I can honestly compare the two. 

And they're not getting their catfish from the red river.  They're buying them from somewhere else.  They're getting smaller catfish.  Not the big flathead like I've noodled out of the red river.

I've ate catfish from all over the world.  And I live about fifty paces from a lake where i can sit on my boat dock and catch a mess of those tasty little rascals any day from may until September.  So I know more about catfish than your average guy and if I say the catfish hole is better than the fish bowl you need to take notes and not ask any questions sonny.
What we're the names of your server, the manager?
What did the server look like? Do they serve Coke or Pepsi? Do they serve alcohol?

Birminghog

Catfish is magnificent when it's done right. Don't know if it's still there, but back in the late 70s there was a place called Ham's Fish and Steak House on Hwy. 82 between Stamps and Texarkana, right next to the Red River bridge if I remember correctly. Everything served family style - catfish, hush puppies, slaw, the whole bit. Absolutely terrific. Never got steak there - the catfish was too good.

Really hard to find a good catfish place in Alabama, at least compared to those I got used to in Arkansas. As a kid, we just caught them out of the pond back in the pasture and mama cooked them up. Oh, my.

Birminghog

Quote from: ThinPiggy on December 11, 2017, 09:22:47 pm
Nick's BBQ in Carlisle (30 miles east of LR) has the best Catfish in the State of Arkansas. I'm kind of a catfish connoisseur.

Only ate at Nick's once. Thought the catfish was disappointing.

Birminghog

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2017, 06:29:41 pm
Yup. Westshore and Docs are both exceptional for their catfish. I've eaten there many times.

Garland City. That's where Ham's was. Couldn't remember the name of the town. Wonder if it's now one of the places goodguytex mentioned. Thanks, tex.

hawgwash

Quote from: HawgHawk on December 11, 2017, 04:14:17 pm
Do you remember the Hush Puppy, just south of the river on Hwy 71?
Yes.  It was great.  And I loved the hush puppies there too.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2017, 09:43:04 pm
What we're the names of your server, the manager?
What did the server look like? Do they serve Coke or Pepsi? Do they serve alcohol?

Server's name was Lum.  Manager was Lem. Or maybe it was vice versa.  Just know it was lum and lem.  The server had an eye patch and a scar across his cheek like an old g I joe.  He had a dirty apron that said dirty white boy and he had a big chaw and spit a lot I remember.

They didn't serve coke or Pepsi or beer.  They just had an old garden hose in the corner and if you needed something to drink you just walked over to the water hose and got a drink.

HawgHawk

Yeah, I loved the Hush Puppy. My best friend and I, along with our then wives, got run out one night when they were having a boiled shrimp night, all you can eat. Lol. We ate so much shrimp, they accused us of hiding them in the girl's purses. We let them search the purses so they ended up embarrassed. We had eaten everyone of those lil boogers! As I recall, 9 or 10 platters. They sure were good!

Aunt_Razorback

Quote from: majestic on December 11, 2017, 04:32:49 pm
Catfish is disgusting.
Agreed. I always went with my dad when he would eat it cause of the slaw and hushpuppies. Catfish are bottom feeders. 🤭

moses_007

Some pretty good catfish at Jordan's Barbecue in Bryant.  I eat there often.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 08:00:50 pm

Sundays from 12-3

a place that serves frog legs as well as Catfish is TRUE Arkansas!!! YUM

HogBreath

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:32:59 pm

But let's not start comparing the Fish Bowl to the catfish hole.

Skandar, sounds like you're still suffering some lingering side effects from that time when Cowboy Bill gave you that Oklahoma Stampede.

Everyone knows the Fish Bowl is number one.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Kneph13

There is something wrong with people that don't like good catfish. That's all I have to say about that.
There is no Political Correctness in war

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 10:12:05 pm
Server's name was Lum.  Manager was Lem. Or maybe it was vice versa.  Just know it was lum and lem.  The server had an eye patch and a scar across his cheek like an old g I joe.  He had a dirty apron that said dirty white boy and he had a big chaw and spit a lot I remember.

They didn't serve coke or Pepsi or beer.  They just had an old garden hose in the corner and if you needed something to drink you just walked over to the water hose and got a drink.
And you're full of crap. And probably couldn't find your way to Ashdown if your life depended on it.

hawgwash

Quote from: HogBreath on December 12, 2017, 05:38:48 am
Skandar, sounds like you're still suffering some lingering side effects from that time when Cowboy Bill gave you that Oklahoma Stampede.

Everyone knows the Fish Bowl is number one.
He probably thinks ALL the catfish restaurants should be moved to NWA.

goodguytex

Quote from: Birminghog on December 11, 2017, 09:59:43 pm
Garland City. That's where Ham's was. Couldn't remember the name of the town. Wonder if it's now one of the places goodguytex mentioned. Thanks, tex.
Both westshore and Docs are in Garland City. Hushpuupy I do believe was in doddridge. I think it's closed down now. Spruells was in doddridge as well and is also out of business.

hawgwash

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 07:12:50 am
Both westshore and Docs are in Garland City. Hushpuupy I do believe was in doddridge. I think it's closed down now. Spruells was in doddridge as well and is also out of business.
Hush Puppy was on Highway 71 between Ashdown and Texarkana, right by the Red River.  I believe it closed and reopened a number of years ago.  Building is gone now, burned down I think.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2017, 06:33:37 pm
I do. I used to know the owner years ago. Real nice too. Worked hard. Great food.
Dadgum yall! Got me hungry for catfish and hush puppies now!
Great fish and shrimp
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 07:12:50 am

Doc's is what used to be Hams. And The Hushpuppy was north of Texarkana, on Hwy 71, at the intersection with Hwy 108.

bp

hassettsportsman

Yes, Doc's is the former Hamm's.  It's open Thursday-Saturday.  My only criticism is that they recently did away with Draft beer.  Westshore has recovered nicely after the Red River flooded them out.  Other SW ARK local foodie spots were at Lake Erling(Bodcau) south of Magnolia.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 07:05:26 am
And you're full of crap. And probably couldn't find your way to Ashdown if your life depended on it.

You may be the biggest catfish I've caught in a while, goodguytex.

Three and Snout

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 08:32:45 am

He's not the sharpest barb in the mud.

HoopS

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 08:32:45 am

and that's saying something for a professional Noodler.

hassettsportsman

FYI....the Red River at Garland is about as low as I have seen....need rain in SW Ark!  Although the bass fishing in my lake is outstanding....in the Black Gold Triangle.

Sooiepride

I'm gonna start a Crappie Hole restaurant.  I like catfish, but IMO white perch are waaaay better.  I could call it the Crapp Hole.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

hassettsportsman

I totally concur.....Sacalait(Crappie) and Bream are some of the finest freshwater fishes.  It's too bad you can't sell them commercially.  Thus, Catfish will have to do when dining out....those little fiddlers...MMMM.  Will serve all 3 at the deer camp final regular season hunt this weekend...along with some fresh backstrap.