Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What bewilders you the most about this season?

Started by rzrbackramsfan, October 21, 2017, 10:15:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 21, 2017, 10:52:34 pm
He said in year 1 that he learned to be mellow. Never be too high or too low

Fair enough, he's a chill guy.  Still though, you can't look completely out of it.

hogsanity

the lack of size and speed. I really thought they had been recruiting to fix that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

phadedhawg

What bewilders me, and has for a couple years now, is how the talk from the staff in preseason and lesser extent, local media, bears zero resemblance to the team we see when we get into conference games. 

jkstock04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 21, 2017, 10:37:22 pm
Show me where his support exists because I think you're making crap up.
When Bielema is back next season and fluff ball stories in the offseason about how much he cares for the players take off at a forest fires pace...get back to us.

There are many who couldn't give two shits about tonight's performance. After all...that left tackle may be on the academic honor roll.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razortrack

Pecos Hog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 21, 2017, 10:46:13 pm
Of those losses, We've lost to the #1 Team who's 8-0, the  #4 team 7-0, #21 Auburn record 6-2, A&M 5-2 and finally SC who's 5-2.Total record of teams we lost to..31-6. We have lost to every team we were supposed to, and beat every team we were supposed to. Not a big mystery..

So we are having a good year?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 22, 2017, 12:35:01 am
What bewilders me, and has for a couple years now, is how the talk from the staff in preseason and lesser extent, local media, bears zero resemblance to the team we see when we get into conference games.

Been going on for as long as I can remember.    Not sure why fans pay attention to Arkansas "media".   Should have to prove it before it is believed as the program has not done enough to earn that trust. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razortrack

I was bewildered too as to how we were able to compete against Auburn's second and third string. Uncommon!!!

BroyledNutts

What bewilders me?

That we have grown men in every position on this football team that apparently cannot remember the first basic things about playing the position they played in high school and were recruited to play at Arkansas.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 21, 2017, 10:19:10 pm
We played TAMU TOUGH and looked like a cow paddy against Bama and Tigger2.

Uh, are you forgetting someone? (Hint, their mascot is Gamecocks.)

This only sorta answers the question—I thought Austin Allen would be the best quarterback in the SEC (or, top 2). So I guess I could say his lack of good play has bewildered me. But seeing how the season has gone, it doesn't. I know partly why he's one of the worst QBs in the SEC, maybe the worst.

RazorbacksFTW

Not bewildered at all we have had a terrible Oline since Bret's first year and it's gotten worse every year.

I believe the Oline is why we have been and will continue to lose.
This is probably the worst Oline I have ever seen in college football.

Our Oline is so bad defenses never have to blitz extra guys they can just send the standard 4 every play and get to the qb in a couple seconds.

Pork Twain

The huge steps we took back in almost every single phase of the game.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

phadedhawg

Quote from: RazorbacksFTW on October 22, 2017, 12:50:08 am
Not bewildered at all we have had a terrible Oline since Bret's first year and it's gotten worse every year.

I believe the Oline is why we have been and will continue to lose.
This is probably the worst Oline I have ever seen in college football.

Our Oline is so bad defenses never have to blitz extra guys they can just send the standard 4 every play and get to the qb in a couple seconds.

I remember Bert's teams doing some good things on offense with Brandon Allen.  I don't think Brandon is too much above little brother ability wise, he just had a few pieces of an Oline blocking for him. 

Austin was fed to the wolves the last two seasons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

East Clintwood

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 21, 2017, 10:28:24 pm
YES.  Also, how did that come to be? His idea, Jeff Longs? Jen?

Also, who did it?  Was Bret up all night trying to stitch those things on?

I have it on good authority that it was one of Jeffy's staff, the Assistant Athletic Director for Coaching Attire and Overall Spiffiness, Joyclyn Rappaport.   She's one of the 68 assistant directors that do Jeffy's work for him so he can do the really important work of self promotion,
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

depressed_fan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 21, 2017, 10:15:32 pm
I'll take some of the best responses and make a poll.

A few things that bewilder me the most are:

How do you come off a whiping by Bama, play a team that beat you 56-3 last year and get owned again?

Why is Bret so emotionless after even huge moments in the game or lapses/successes by our team?  Is he saving the emotion for the postgame press concurrence?

Why are our fans so awesome? This was a sellout right?  Good job to the fans that went to this.  Even if I was in the area, I wouldn't have gone to this if they paid me.

Bret is emotionless b/c he knows this isn't working and this is his last year anyway.
The was most likely a sellout for a while or close but a lot of tickets were being given away. A guy said on the post game radio show his boss offered him tickets free and he turned it down. They were on stubhub for 6$

I'm sure there's a demand to go if it's cheap enough for the type of fan with nothing else to do who's never been to a game and just wants the experience.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Pecos Hog on October 22, 2017, 12:38:45 am
So we are having a good year?
About where normal people would expect us to be..Ask me when the season is over and i'll tell you whether it was a good year or not. It will be nice to get into the soft spot of our schedule. Good news is hard part is over.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Meatman

That there haven't been more broken bones, hospital stays.

hehawg

How has the Oline has almost been nonexistent. I mean I get we lost some folks but where was the future planning for replacements? Ragnow seems to be the only lineman on offense who knows the playbook and blocks. This in itself doesn't allow the offense to get any production or rythym. Both qbs are laying on there backs every other play. Nobody has taken ownership or stepped up to get this line fired up. I'm just baffled at how bad they really look in year 5 when all this should be trending upward.
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

latrops

Quote from: AP85 on October 21, 2017, 10:30:09 pm
What he did at Wisconsin vs what he has done here.

It bewilders me.

Indeed.  His strengths there haven't materialized here.  The main concern with him coming in was about his offensive system.  That hasn't been much of an issue as Chaney and Enos have done ok.  The lack of player development and suspect line play (both sides) are very disappointing.  Everyone expected our lines to be better, especially the online.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 21, 2017, 10:34:50 pm
You expected us to be this bad? No you didn't. I said 6 wins was a realistic goal because if many factors. We won't even win 4. Nobody expected this in year 5.

Experts picked us to be last and fans didn't believe it....and that was before the injuries. Now everybody's got their panties in a wad because they were right. Our fans think we're Bama when we are really Arkansas. Five years after CBB is gone we will hearing the same b*tching and complaining from the same delusional fans about the next coach.

Danny J

What bewilders me the most? How our O line can be worse than last year which was the worst O line at Arkansas in the modern era of football. My God I shutter to think about next year

SchrodingersHog

The most bewildering thing is that I still hear fans giving BB a pass on his first year.  Knowing what we know now about his poor coaching, he doesn't deserve it.  We should have gone at least 6-6 that first year.  There WAS talent on that team, they just had a piss poor coach on the sidelines.

jdelo77

How did we regress so badly ??? The offensive line was one of the best when Pittman was here now , the worst in the sec ...the defense is giving 8 yard cushions on 3rd & 4 ...and this is just the start

Pecos Hog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 22, 2017, 03:02:45 am
About where normal people would expect us to be..Ask me when the season is over and i'll tell you whether it was a good year or not. It will be nice to get into the soft spot of our schedule. Good news is hard part is over.

Don't count me in that crowd that thinks that 2-5 is okay.    In reality, the season IS over.    At this point I'm not sure we can win 2 more games.    It was apparent in our first game against FAMU that things were not right with this team.  After that game I thought we finish no better than 5-7.   Now I doubt that we'll win 5.      You have to ask yourself, how did we get this bad?     But, we all know the answer.

latrops

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on October 22, 2017, 10:31:07 am
Experts picked us to be last and fans didn't believe it....and that was before the injuries. Now everybody's got their panties in a wad because they were right. Our fans think we're Bama when we are really Arkansas. Five years after CBB is gone we will hearing the same b*tching and co5mplaining from the same delusional fans about the next coach.

So just accept that we are a middling program and quit trying?  That is certainly the easy thing to do... that which results in minimal disappointment.   Pretty sure way to shrink the fan base and eliminate passion.

Boardon Hamsay

Experts picked us to be last and fans didn't believe it....and that was before the injuries. Now everybody's got their panties in a wad because they were right. Our fans think we're Bama when we are really Arkansas. Five years after CBB is gone we will hearing the same b*tching and complaining from the same delusional fans about the next coach.

Lot of truth here. A lot of fans tend to base their expectations on what they hear (i.e. coachspeak) instead of what they actually see on the field. It's like they were trying to turn a vision test into a hearing test. On paper, the ceiling was 6 or 7 wins given the scheme change on D, OL questions, lack of WR experience, lack of a real team leader, etc., and even then, you needed some breaks to get there. Said differently and looking more broadly, Arkansas is simply the guy or girl at the bar that thinks he or she is an 8 or a 9 but is really a 5 or a 6 most nights.

So based on what we were on paper, there's nothing really surprising about our win loss record right now. They really haven't passed the eyeball test since the start of the season. If I had to label something as bewildering this year, it would be that the lack of development, adjustments, leadership, physicality, speed, etc. has actually caused the eyeball test results to get worse. Some of that is due to the way the schedule worked out and I expected us to lose these last two games badly. The growing player frustrations on display(AA, Agim last night, etc.) and the mistakes getting worse though tell me everything I need to know about when this team in now. It just is what it is.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

rhames

There were people on here that were thinking 6-6. Heck that is what most media people picked. We can't even compete. That's a problem in year 5 with a coach who has consistently under achieved here.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 21, 2017, 10:15:32 pm
I'll take some of the best responses and make a poll.

A few things that bewilder me the most are:

How do you come off a whiping by Bama, play a team that beat you 56-3 last year and get owned again?

Why is Bret so emotionless after even huge moments in the game or lapses/successes by our team?  Is he saving the emotion for the postgame press concurrence?

Why are our fans so awesome? This was a sellout right?  Good job to the fans that went to this.  Even if I was in the area, I wouldn't have gone to this if they paid me.
That Cole Hedlund was the starting kicker again.
Complete head scratcher after watching 2015 and 2016.

This is a like a summary case of some of the problems here. Who is making some of these decisions?

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 21, 2017, 10:37:22 pm
Show me where his support exists because I think you're making crap up.

Michaeledavis
Mckinneyhog
and a few more
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******