Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn QB leaves to join Kiffin at FAU

Started by NuttinItUp, August 15, 2017, 08:32:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Star of the show "Last Chance U" (season 1) and Auburn QB John Franklin III announced that he is heading to join Lane Kiffin at FAU for his last season of play.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/john_franklin_iii_headed_to_fa.html

Apparently he earned his bachelor's degree 10 days ago which gave him the ability to take advantage of the grad transfer rule.

In addition, it looks like Kiffin is signing several players (and a coach) from the show "Last Chance U":
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/8/15/16152308/last-chance-u-john-franklin-fau

(By the way, "Last Chance U" is a good show if you haven't  seen it. Season 2 is out now.)

NuttinItUp

August 15, 2017, 08:41:21 pm #1 Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:38:28 pm by NuttinItUp
Also, keep in mind this is in addition to former FSU QB De'Andre Johnson ("Last Chance U" season 2) who was Kiffin's big get when he first became coach:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/14/13956780/fau-deandre-johnson-fsu-quarterback-lane-kiffin

They also have a former OU QB:

https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma/former-oklahoma-qb-chris-robison-fau

In terms of what they usually get at FAU, they should be pretty loaded at least at QB this year.

PorkRinds

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 15, 2017, 08:52:53 pm
Franklin is terrible.

I am wondering if he will try his hand at receiver? He seems better suited to that position.

Hawghiggs

If I was Kiffin.  I wouldn't bolt for another job. I would build FAU into Transfer U. I would stay in contact with every ACC and SEC coach. Just to see who I could use to fill up my team with.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 15, 2017, 08:57:05 pm
If I was Kiffin.  I wouldn't bolt for another job. I would build FAU into Transfer U. I would stay in contact with every ACC and SEC coach. Just to see who I could use to fill up my team with.

He seems to be doing a decent job of that now. I wonder if it will translate to wins on the field? Conference USA could be a cakewalk for him if he loads up his team with players who got in trouble or transferred away from Power-5 schools.

Looks like their second game of the year is at pre-season #10 (Coaches poll) Wisconsin. If they pulled off an upset, it could get a lot of eyeballs on them.

Porked Tongue

Gus can't develop a QB.

Gus does best with other teams QB.

Going back to Cam, all of AUB best years have come with transferred QB's at the helm.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 15, 2017, 09:00:15 pm
He seems to be doing a decent job of that now. I wonder if it will translate to wins on the field? Conference USA could be a cakewalk for him if he loads up his team with players who got in trouble or transferred away from Power-5 schools.

Looks like their second game of the year is at pre-season #10 (Coaches poll) Wisconsin. If they pulled off an upset, it could get a lot of eyeballs on them.

Hell, If he just keeps it close. It'll get the talking heads going.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

drizzle

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 15, 2017, 09:15:55 pm
Gus can't develop a QB.

Going back to Cam, all of AUB best years have come with transferred QB's at the helm.

Well crap, that bodes well for them this year. 

hawganatic

Fourth school for this kid.   At some point you have to settle in and accept your role on a team.  Didn't really understand Auburn's expectation for him to play QB in the SEC when he couldn't win the starting job at the JUCO level.

Hope he's not doing this with the expectation of playing QB.  He's not going to win the position over De'andre Johnson.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 15, 2017, 08:32:42 pm
Star of the show "Last Chance U" (season 1) and Auburn QB John Franklin III announced that he is heading to join Lane Kiffin at FAU for his last season of play.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/john_franklin_iii_headed_to_fa.html

Apparently he earned his bachelor's degree 10 days ago which gave him the ability to take advantage of the grad transfer rule.

In addition, it looks like Kiffin is signing several players (and a coach) from the show "Last Chance U":
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/8/15/16152308/last-chance-u-john-franklin-fau

(By the way, "Last Chance U" is a good show if you haven't  seen it. Season 2 is out now.)

I read they may choose another school for season 3.

The hc at EMCC is a pos. Season 2 begin with him being embarrassed how he looked in season 1. Then in season 2 he turns into the pos again. I think he is just a pos thinking he is a good man.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on August 15, 2017, 10:47:55 pm
Fourth school for this kid.   At some point you have to settle in and accept your role on a team.  Didn't really understand Auburn's expectation for him to play QB in the SEC when he couldn't win the starting job at the JUCO level.

Hope he's not doing this with the expectation of playing QB.  He's not going to win the position over De'andre Johnson.

He came off as a selfish player in the show. It seemed to be all about him. Auburn signs the kid even though he couldn't beat out the other QB. Not very smart.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 15, 2017, 11:00:47 pm
He came off as a selfish player in the show. It seemed to be all about him. Auburn signs the kid even though he couldn't beat out the other QB. Not very smart.

He came off like an egotistical child. He keeps thinking that he is going to walk into a starting role where they will recognize his talents. Well, you have basically been the same guy with three teams, getting the same results, ever consider that it's just you?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 15, 2017, 08:55:45 pm
I am wondering if he will try his hand at receiver? He seems better suited to that position.

FWIW the OP's second link refers to him as "quarterback turned reciever"

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 15, 2017, 09:15:55 pm
Gus can't develop a QB.

Well, and that one year where they had a converted defensive back (is that right)? Lead them to a NCG loss.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 16, 2017, 12:22:52 am
FWIW the OP's second link refers to him as "quarterback turned reciever"

Sorry, I missed that when I read it the first time.

The ESPN article goes into more detail. Apparently he was both backup QB and receiver at Auburn last season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20351695/john-franklin-iii-transfer-auburn-tigers

dhizzle

Well eventually they might be a competitive team, assuming Kiffin can keep them in line. Remember the young men that transferred to the Mississippi Community College are power five players they just get in to trouble sometimes.

RME

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 15, 2017, 10:58:46 pm

The hc at EMCC is a pos. Season 2 begin with him being embarrassed how he looked in season 1. Then in season 2 he turns into the pos again. I think he is just a pos thinking he is a good man.

Agree. Buddy Stephens is a Grade A [CENSORED].

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 15, 2017, 08:52:53 pm
Franklin is terrible.

Yes, he is.  How can a player who can't pass be a QB?  I guess that same question could be asked just about every year at LSU.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 16, 2017, 09:22:48 am
Yes, he is.  How can a player who can't pass be a QB?  I guess that same question could be asked just about every year at LSU.

He won't get to pass much down there, at least I don't think that he will. Kiffin will plug him into a slot position, use him as a receiver, maybe a hand off occasionally and then the proverbial trick play where they hand off to him on what appears to be a jet sweep or something and he throws the ball. He'll just be a tool in the offense, not the trigger man. Just an opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 09:27:50 am
He won't get to pass much down there, at least I don't think that he will. Kiffin will plug him into a slot position, use him as a receiver, maybe a hand off occasionally and then the proverbial trick play where they hand off to him on what appears to be a jet sweep or something and he throws the ball. He'll just be a tool in the offense, not the trigger man. Just an opinion.

I'll be interested to see what kind of trick plays Kiffin/FAU throws at pre-season #10 Wisconsin. (preseason Coaches poll; AP poll not out yet)

A little added interest in seeing that game now, at least. It would have been a surefire blowout pre-Kiffin. (might still be..)

hawganatic

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 16, 2017, 12:29:05 am
Well, and that one year where they had a converted defensive back (is that right)? Lead them to a NCG loss.

Think he was converted from QB to defensive back, and then back to QB.

The Kig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 16, 2017, 09:35:07 am
I'll be interested to see what kind of trick plays Kiffin/FAU throws at pre-season #10 Wisconsin. (preseason Coaches poll; AP poll not out yet)

A little added interest in seeing that game now, at least. It would have been a surefire blowout pre-Kiffin. (might still be..)

Kiffin, like him or not, is a really good coach...at least on the Offensive side of the ball.  He is a trainwreck at times in his off the field life, but is pretty creative as a coach. 

I don't think picking up a handful of other teams rejects is going to make them competitive with Wiscy, but there is little doubt that he will make them competitive in their conference, maybe even immediately.  May just be too large of a talent gap at other positions, but it would be comical if it ended up being a nail biter for  Wiscy.
Poker Porker

NuttinItUp

Quote from: The Kig on August 16, 2017, 10:16:20 am
Kiffin, like him or not, is a really good coach...at least on the Offensive side of the ball.  He is a trainwreck at times in his off the field life, but is pretty creative as a coach. 

I don't think picking up a handful of other teams rejects is going to make them competitive with Wiscy, but there is little doubt that he will make them competitive in their conference, maybe even immediately.  May just be too large of a talent gap at other positions, but it would be comical if it ended up being a nail biter for  Wiscy.

True. As long as FAU has a shot (within 2 scores) at some point in the 4th quarter, they will probably consider that a win against a far superior Wisconsin team.

Of course, every once in awhile the underdog pulls an upset. Even FCS schools sometimes beat FBS schools, which is a much larger gap than this would be. (see North Dakota State over #13 Iowa in 2016 or Appalachian State over #7 Michigan in 2007)

LRHog

the craziest part of this is how this kid got his degree. If you watch the show you know he's dumb as a box of rocks.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 15, 2017, 10:58:46 pm

I agree. That coach is a total jackhole!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

PorkRinds

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 16, 2017, 08:49:27 am
Agree. Buddy Stephens is a Grade A [CENSORED].
I like to call him JUCO Petrino.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 16, 2017, 11:43:44 am
I like to call him JUCO Petrino.

well, some people will want to dump BB for him tomorrow then.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogs1091

Auburn's got bigger problems than a back-up QB leaving their team.  One problem for Auburn is their week 2 road game.  Auburn better get concerned about the line-of scrimmage matchups they will be facing in week 2.

Clemson OL                                                                   Auburn DL

LT:  Hyatt   6'5"  305 lbs.  Jr.                                       DE:  Davidson   6'3"  282 lbs.  So.
An elite LT who has started 29 games.
Graded out at 90% with 3 knockdown
blocks this past Jan. against Alabama.               

LG:  Hearn   6'5"  330 lbs.  RJr.
Started all 15 games last season                           
Has played in 29 games.
                                                                                        NT:  Russell   6'3"  310 lbs.  Jr.
C:    Falcinelli   6'4"  305 lbs.  RGr.
Has played in 24 games.

RG:  Crowder  6'2"  340 lbs.  RGr.
First Team All-ACC (Media and Coaches)
Has started 28 games.
Has played in 34 games.
                                                                                        DT:  Brown   6'5"  316 lbs.  So.
RT:  Pollard   6'5"  315 lbs.  So.
Started the last half of last season
(7 games).  Played 53 snaps and
logged 2 knockdown blocks against
Ohio State.  Played 95 snaps and
tallied 2 knockdowns against Alabama
in NC game.

Clemson DL                                                                       Auburn OL

DE:  Ferrell   6'5"  260 lbs.  RSo.                                     LT:  James   6'4"  324 lbs.  Sr.
Potential future NFL 1st Round
Draft pick.
                                                                                             LG:  Horton   6'4"  318 lbs.  So.
DT:  Wilkins   6'4"  300 lbs.  Jr.
All-American   Probable future
NFL 1st Round Draft pick.
                                                                                             C:    Golson   6'5"  312 lbs.  Sr.
DT:  Lawrence   6'4"  340 lbs.  So.
Freshman All-American in 2016 season.
Probable future NFL 1st Round Draft pick.                RG:  Bell   6'5"  355 lbs.  GrSr.
                                                                                           A Graduate Transfer from Florida State, but was unlikely to be a starter at FSU
DE:  Bryant   6'5"  265 lbs.  Jr.                                       in 2017.
At worst, a potential future NFL 2nd Round           
Draft pick.                                                                         RT:  Smith   6'6"  303 lbs.  Sr.