Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Arkansas HC, HDN accuses Ole Miss of running ‘smear campaign’

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 26, 2017, 07:15:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SONofHAM

While I agree Ole Miss is wrong to put the blame on Nutt, him using the "smear campaign" terminology is ironic.  Pretty sure he used the same "smear campaign" tactic against some of his current and former players(Mustain & Hillis)
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

hawgon

Let Bielema stay here four or five more years with no more success than he has now.  Let the fan pressure build on him year after year.  Let the administration be decidedly tone deaf and give another raise and extension or two.  Then see if he is any more popular than HDN at that point.  The fanbase as a whole did not turn on HDN until very late.  Some of us on this board have been around long enough to remember getting banned for talking about HDN by the same administrators who hate him now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on May 28, 2017, 01:58:04 pm
Let Bielema stay here four or five more years with no more success than he has now.  Let the fan pressure build on him year after year.  Let the administration be decidedly tone deaf and give another raise and extension or two.  Then see if he is any more popular than HDN at that point.  The fanbase as a whole did not turn on HDN until very late.  Some of us on this board have been around long enough to remember getting banned for talking about HDN by the same administrators who hate him now.

This isn't about Bielema. And the fan base (on here anyway) didn't turn on Nutt because of being average and losing games he should have won. It isn't all about the wins anymore now than it was when HDN was here. Nutt screwed the pooch by virtue of his own actions and choices, just like BP.
Go Hogs Go!

Sivad

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2017, 08:41:25 am
He came in as basically a courtesy interview off of a losing season at Boise State.
Next thing Hog fans knew, he was all over the news and it was time to "bring Houston home."
Thanks to the LR "sports media" and the obstinate committee member Quinn Groovey who hardheadedly refused to even interview any other coaching candidate than his beloved HoustonDaleNutt.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Sivad on May 28, 2017, 06:28:57 pm
Thanks to the LR "sports media" and the obstinate committee member Quinn Groovey who hardheadedly refused to even interview any other coaching candidate than his beloved HoustonDaleNutt.

Yep, Bill Montgomery was a better QB than Grovey and he was certainly a better judge of coaching candidates.

Nutt was a charlatan, a fake.  Grovey fell for the rah rah BS.

LZH

hog.goblin

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2017, 04:08:56 pm
This isn't about Bielema. And the fan base (on here anyway) didn't turn on Nutt because of being average and losing games he should have won. It isn't all about the wins anymore now than it was when HDN was here. Nutt screwed the pooch by virtue of his own actions and choices, just like BP.

Your memory isn't too good.  This board was cheering the Gus Malzahn as OC hire when some of us told you it wouldn't work and Nutt would screw that up.  I got banned that summer for telling you that.

But Nutt didn't go nuts until fan pressure started to mount for him to hire an OC.  That brought in the Malzahn situation and his eventual undoing.  Yeah, it was about wins and losses.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on May 28, 2017, 09:42:09 pm
Your memory isn't too good.  This board was cheering the Gus Malzahn as OC hire when some of us told you it wouldn't work and Nutt would screw that up.  I got banned that summer for telling you that.

But Nutt didn't go nuts until fan pressure started to mount for him to hire an OC.  That brought in the Malzahn situation and his eventual undoing.  Yeah, it was about wins and losses.

Or maybe you are failing to remember that his undoing had more to do with his sanctioning the harassment of his young QB by players and adults outside the program, the coaching staff harassing their own OC in front of players, the "Mr. Interception King" email, player parents going to the AD about Nutt, etc, etc.

And if you were banned, you weren't banned for having an opinion about whether an OC hire would work or not, and you know that.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 29, 2017, 06:45:38 am
Or maybe you are failing to remember that his undoing had more to do with his sanctioning the harassment of his young QB by players and adults outside the program, the coaching staff harassing their own OC in front of players, the "Mr. Interception King" email, player parents going to the AD about Nutt, etc, etc.

And if you were banned, you weren't banned for having an opinion about whether an OC hire would work or not, and you know that.

Actually, yes I was.  And Nutt's bitterness about the whole deal was his perception that he was forced to hire Malzahn to land a The Springdale Five after .... can you say it...BACK TO BACK LOSING SEASONS.

Nutt's complete undoing was not being successful enough and the pressure that came with it.

LZH

Quote from: hawgon on May 29, 2017, 12:30:47 pmNutt's complete undoing was not being successful enough and the pressure that came with it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If he had not had consecutive losing seasons he wouldn't have felt the pressure to get those Springdale kids signed and on campus. But I also agree that it was his ego that pulled the noose around his neck.

Around that time I spoke with a couple of different people who claimed to know exactly what happened, and each one had a different story. One is that FB forced Nutt to hire an OC and Malzahn was the obvious choice because of the kids that came with him. The other story is that FB wasn't all that upset about the offense but told Nutt that if he let those kids go to Florida and Notre Dame and USC or wherever, he'd better not have another poor season. Take your pick, they both sound pretty reasonable to me.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: oldhawg on May 28, 2017, 08:58:34 am
As I recall, some of his former Boise State players referred to him as a "used car salesman."

That's a real slap in the face to used car salesmen everywhere.

LOL...you beat me to it! I was going to protest Wilson's comment about the '73 Impala. Our family had a '72 Impala. He should have made the analogy to a Ford Granada.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

LZH

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on May 29, 2017, 02:10:31 pm
LOL...you beat me to it! I was going to protest Wilson's comment about the '73 Impala. Our family had a '72 Impala. He should have made the analogy to a Ford Granada.

Sho nuff.....for a company car my dad had a white 4-door '72 with dark blue interior and eventually traded it for a white '76 with maroon interior. Don't mess with them old Chevy 400's baby!

urkillnmesmalls

Show me any reference to HDN on a thread, and I'll show you a thread that devolves into the Springdale 5 and GM, every time, without fail.   ;D

Nutt just wants Ole Miss to leave him out of the accusations so he can get that job at Rocky Mountain State locked up in 2019.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 26, 2017, 09:21:06 am
All he had to do was release a statement to the Media that said, "This isn't as much about my era as it is about the current era. Yes, we have a few allegations out there about the time that I was here, but the vast majority (69%) of the allegations apply to the current staff and program". Then, let it go.

But he isn't going to do that because like a child seeking attention, he doesn't care if it is positive or negative attention as long as he is circulating his name and a part of the discussion. Being irrelevant must be killing him.

Yep, if you are in a hole, quit digging.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

010HogFan

Seeing "TCTWF" in this thread really brought me back. Good Times.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: 010HogFan on May 30, 2017, 01:42:03 pm
Seeing "TCTWF" in this thread really brought me back. Good Times.

Has there been a MOTHO reference yet?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Nobody has to run a smear campaign against Nutt. He "smeared" himself, long before these accusations.  That's why he's not coaching anywhere.  Nobody wants him.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

longtimeHogfan

Hootie's biggest asset was his own personal chief enabler one John Franklin Broyles and, by extension, at least one prominent member of the BOT's.  My feelings for the man are just a raw today as they were a decade ago. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

KlubhouseKonnected

Mitch Mustain was overrated. But he did play in 8 straight wins.

Nostalgia.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PearlHarbor

Quote from: hawgon on May 28, 2017, 01:58:04 pm

We all loved nutt for at least a minute.

hog.goblin

East Clintwood

Hootie's entire coaching career has been a smear campaign on himself.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Sivad

Quote from: PearlHarbor on June 02, 2017, 11:21:29 am
We all loved nutt for at least a minute.
To quote Beaumont Livingston in Jackie Brown - "Not for no minutes."

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: hogsanity on May 26, 2017, 10:32:35 am
we will have threads about HDN, because over a decade after he left those still get more posts than things about this coming season. It is understandable, the HDN situation made Hogville.

And you'll still cry about your boy HDN that you worshipped and adored till the bitter end.  King of the nutthuggers you'll always be.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on May 26, 2017, 10:32:35 am
we will have threads about HDN, because over a decade after he left those still get more posts than things about this coming season. It is understandable, the HDN situation made Hogville.

He is, the gift that keeps on giving. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 06:02:47 am
He is, the gift that keeps on giving. ;)

Especially when he is giving an interview while flushing...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 03, 2017, 10:19:14 am
Especially when he is giving an interview while flushing...................................

Maybe one day, he will learn how to take the high road.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: LZH on May 28, 2017, 08:28:55 pm
We all did for a while.
Nope... I was a student on the hill when HDN couldn't beat out Scott Bull for starting QB spot....  he got pissy and fled (ok, transferred) to Oklahoma State.    I lost all respect for him then and there..................
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 03, 2017, 04:13:02 pm
Nope... I was a student on the hill when HDN couldn't beat out Scott Bull for starting QB spot....  he got pissy and fled (ok, transferred) to Oklahoma State.    I lost all respect for him then and there..................

HDN lost me in the early 2000's when he apparently couldn't see (on offense) that a play action fake to the RB with a slant to his TE's behind the LB's was open all day. High percentage of completion, keep the sticks moving, scoring more often and taking some of the heat off his O-Line and RB's. I took a lot of grief in "The Pit" in post game tail gating because I said he was a moron and didn't know how to call an offense. Turned out that I was right. MOTHO
Go Hogs Go!

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SpiritBen/status/869908831060377601

First 30 minutes are gold.

Kentrell Lockett's description of how Nutt used the Circle of Trust to set up certain players as scapegoats when discipline problems would occur, his choice of team movies (golf tournament to save the ranch) and how even that was held against the players, and the simplicity of his play calling ("He killed the Wildcat", "'Run TS', get the ball to Tobias Singleton's hands") insulted the intelligence of his players.

Spirit Ben is still bitter. Confirms that Nutt would try to get reporters fired who did not toe the company line using Danny. The company line was petty.

Both agree that any moron should have been able to win more with the talent Orgeron left behind.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jbcarol on June 04, 2017, 06:30:42 am

Kentrell Lockett's description of how Nutt used the Circle of Trust to set up certain players as scapegoats when discipline problems would occur, his choice of team movies (golf tournament to save the ranch) and how even that was held against the players, and the simplicity of his play calling ("He killed the Wildcat", "'Run TS', get the ball to Tobias Singleton's hands") insulted the intelligence of his players.

Spirit Ben is still bitter. Confirms that Nutt would try to get reporters fired who did not toe the company line using Danny. The company line was petty.

Both agree that any moron should have been able to win more with the talent Orgeron left behind.
According to Nutt's official "Circle of Trust" locker-room poster, college football consists of four levels.

1. The inner circle of excellence.
2. The circle of untrustables.
3. The circle of the uncommitted

and (gulp)

4. The world of the univested.

WHICH ARE YOU? 

Sivad

Quote from: jbcarol on June 04, 2017, 06:30:42 am

Everybody should listen to that.
Ole Miss detests Houston Nutt as much as Arkansas does.
He pulled the same petty crap and showed the same incompetence over there as he did here.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 06:24:03 pm
HDN lost me in the early 2000's when he apparently couldn't see (on offense) that a play action fake to the RB with a slant to his TE's behind the LB's was open all day. High percentage of completion, keep the sticks moving, scoring more often and taking some of the heat off his O-Line and RB's. I took a lot of grief in "The Pit" in post game tail gating because I said he was a moron and didn't know how to call an offense. Turned out that I was right. MOTHO

The beginning of the end of hootie for me happened at a South Carolina game in Razorback Stadium.  Don't remember the year...at least 10-years ago, maybe more.  Hootie opted to go for it on 4th down from his own 30-35-yardline or somewhere down there.  Didn't make it and the resulting TD by the Gamecocks turned out to be the winning margin.  That soured me on everything hootin. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

DeltaBoy

Hooten tried to get another HC job and it has been no dice so he pulling out all the stops to get back in the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MNHogFan

Hard to say for me which side I would favor, hope Ole Miss gets the book thrown at them and I hope HDN doesn't get one dime. He is toast as far as a head coaching job other than maybe some division 3 school.

Hawgboy64

"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

GuvHog

Quote from: Sivad on June 04, 2017, 10:35:20 pm
Everybody should listen to that.
Ole Miss detests Houston Nutt as much as Arkansas does.
He pulled the same petty crap and showed the same incompetence over there as he did here.

I have no sympathy for Ole Miss. They were stupid enough to hire a head coach that Arkansas basically ran off and that was after Ole Miss let the best FB Head coach they'd had since Johnny Vaught (David Cutcliffe) walk away. They should have known better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: JayHog on May 27, 2017, 06:12:53 pm
I never understood all the HDN hate. All he did was take us to bowl games every year. I'm sure his record at Arkansas is better than CBB's record, but there's not all that hate for CBB. I never understood it

He did win some games, but he didn't do as well as he should have. It is criminal that he didn't win something worthwhile while having Dmac, Jones and Hillis in the backfield.

Most of the hate comes from how childish he was and how helpless he was when he ego took over. He was a complete embarrassment to the school every time someone stuck a microphone in his face. As a fan I would cringe every time he was to be interviewed before he ever even said a word... I and everyone else knew what was coming. He lacked the maturity to have the job he had and was always more than willing to humiliate himself when given the opportunity.

I think when he dies, it would be fitting for his tombstone to read "But What About Me?"

Seebs

He solely killed DMAC's Heisman chances when he publicly called out ESPN on not backing DMAC more. Go back and look - several voters with ESPN ties left McFadden completely off their ballot.  You did not take on the mother-ship at that time and he did it.

He thought he was doing a favor and ended up embarrassing himself and causing harm. Sound familiar?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on June 05, 2017, 06:58:04 am
The beginning of the end of hootie for me happened at a South Carolina game in Razorback Stadium.  Don't remember the year...at least 10-years ago, maybe more.  Hootie opted to go for it on 4th down from his own 30-35-yardline or somewhere down there.  Didn't make it and the resulting TD by the Gamecocks turned out to be the winning margin.  That soured me on everything hootin.
It was worse than that. Arkansas ran the same play four straight times: D-Mac off tackle to the right.

As I recall he made 5 yards on 1st down, 3 yards on second down, one yard on 3rd down and (after one of those crazy time outs where Nutt and his brother use sign language while Mike Markuson jumps up and down like his pants are on fire) he got nothin' on 4th down.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Seebs on June 13, 2017, 02:45:10 pm
He solely killed DMAC's Heisman chances when he publicly called out ESPN on not backing DMAC more. Go back and look - several voters with ESPN ties left McFadden completely off their ballot.  You did not take on the mother-ship at that time and he did it.

He thought he was doing a favor and ended up embarrassing himself and causing harm. Sound familiar?

Tim Tebow probably had more to do with DMac not winning than MOTHO.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Seebs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on June 13, 2017, 04:30:07 pm
Tim Tebow probably had more to do with DMac not winning than MOTHO.
How many ballots was Tebow left off of I wonder? It is not that Tebow won, it is the fact that DMAC was left off of several ballots. There were three better players? No. It had to be personal.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

factchecker

Quote from: Seebs on June 13, 2017, 05:25:33 pm
How many ballots was Tebow left off of I wonder? It is not that Tebow won, it is the fact that DMAC was left off of several ballots. There were three better players? No. It had to be personal.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 01:42:31 pm
He did win some games, but he didn't do as well as he should have. It is criminal that he didn't win something worthwhile while having Dmac, Jones and Hillis in the backfield.

Most of the hate comes from how childish he was and how helpless he was when he ego took over. He was a complete embarrassment to the school every time someone stuck a microphone in his face. As a fan I would cringe every time he was to be interviewed before he ever even said a word... I and everyone else knew what was coming. He lacked the maturity to have the job he had and was always more than willing to humiliate himself when given the opportunity.

I think when he dies, it would be fitting for his tombstone to read "But What About Me?"

The Donald Drumphf of college football =)

I am pure darksider, i could spend all day talking about what i saw on campus during his tenure my god that man had issues.

BP4

What made most of us want HDN gone was the fact he didn't do jack with the best backfield of 2000s college football
Future Hogvillian

311Hog

Quote from: BP4 on June 14, 2017, 02:13:59 pm
What made most of us want HDN gone was the fact he didn't do jack with the best backfield of 2000s college football

my favorite and shortest way to sum up MOTHO is this.

He was beaten by teams he had no business losing to, and he won games thanks to herculean efforts from his players against teams he had no business beating.  And then he promptly took all the credit for the wins, and threw kids under the bus for the losses.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 13, 2017, 03:09:45 pm
It was worse than that. Arkansas ran the same play four straight times: D-Mac off tackle to the right.

As I recall he made 5 yards on 1st down, 3 yards on second down, one yard on 3rd down and (after one of those crazy time outs where Nutt and his brother use sign language while Mike Markuson jumps up and down like his pants are on fire) he got nothin' on 4th down.

Oh, my....I'd forgotten that.  Maybe I'd subconsciously blacked it out of my memory.....

All through the Hooten fiasco I repeatedly told people I didn't 'hate' hootie.  I don't hate anyone.  But, boy....if I did....some people would sure be easier than others.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BP4 on June 14, 2017, 02:13:59 pm

There was a lot more to it than just that for me. He had a tendency to "mail it in" in terms of coaching effort and solid game planning. He was more capable than that and we all saw that at times during his tenure.
Go Hogs Go!