Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Mountain Lion" Killed In Rogers

Started by 95_alum, October 21, 2011, 01:07:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

95_alum

October 21, 2011, 01:07:53 pm Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:14:54 pm by 95_alum
Good news everybody: IT WAS NOT A MOUNTAIN LION!

http://www.4029tv.com/r/29550319/detail.html

JaketheSnake

No wild mountain lions in Arkansas?  I think a lot of people would argue with te AGFC on that

deshahawg

How could someone think that was a mountain lion?!

95_alum

October 21, 2011, 06:01:49 pm #3 Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:03:54 pm by 95_alum
No doubt! Can you imagine the hysteria if that were a week earlier (during the War Eagle Craft Fair)?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

johnny cash

About this time of year last year just north of Bobby hopper tunnel the game and fish and state police was loading a Mnt lion no doubt.  We slowed down visibly saw big cat the tail the give away.  There are some here people use to have them as pets turned some loose. Car was pretty messed up front end plastic laying on highway.

DeltaBoy

They are here but the ASG&F doesn't want to admit it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Guess its a good thing that the car hit this bobcat, & we have pictures of it........

If not, the story might have grown to......"It was a big black mtn. lion".......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rickm1976

I have seen two in my lifetime, and heard two others.  My brother saw a black one chasing after some sheep just before dark.  I know there is supposedly no such thing as a "black panther", but he saw it from about twenty feet away, and said it was about the size of a large golden retriever except not as tall, and had a long tail.  He said it was definitely a black cat about 6' long head to tail, much bigger than the sheep, and had a tail almost as long as the body.  I don't know what else it could have been.

We reported two of the three sightings, and a game warden said it was a case of mistaken identity, and was probably a bobcat.  I am an avid predator hunter, and have taken several bobcats.  Bobcats aren't about 6' long from head to tail, and only weigh about 15-25 lbs. on average.  Their tails are only about 3-4 inches long.  In each of the above sightings, the animal's tail was about the same length as the body.  I know of several people who have been seeing them for the past 30-40 years regularly.  Any wildlife officer who says there aren't any mountain lions other than escaped pets in Arkansas is a liar or a fool.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 25, 2011, 07:44:58 pm
I have seen two in my lifetime, and heard two others.  My brother saw a black one chasing after some sheep just before dark.  I know there is supposedly no such thing as a "black panther", but he saw it from about twenty feet away, and said it was about the size of a large golden retriever except not as tall, and had a long tail.  He said it was definitely a black cat about 6' long head to tail, much bigger than the sheep, and had a tail almost as long as the body.  I don't know what else it could have been.

We reported two of the three sightings, and a game warden said it was a case of mistaken identity, and was probably a bobcat.  I am an avid predator hunter, and have taken several bobcats.  Bobcats aren't about 6' long from head to tail, and only weigh about 15-25 lbs. on average.  Their tails are only about 3-4 inches long.  In each of the above sightings, the animal's tail was about the same length as the body.  I know of several people who have been seeing them for the past 30-40 years regularly.  Any wildlife officer who says there aren't any mountain lions other than escaped pets in Arkansas is a liar or a fool.

There are Mtn. Lions in Arkansas, AG&FC is just reluctant to admit it.....& they are not all escaped pets.

Dillar Dog

What kind of dolt would let one escape?

HoggyCat

Quote from: 95_alum on October 21, 2011, 01:07:53 pm
IT WAS NOT A MOUNTAIN LION!

Well duh.......there's none in Arkansas!!

***sarcasm***
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

ur

95_alum

Quote from: ur on October 31, 2011, 04:01:25 pm
South of West Fork.

I left that cat a gut pile Friday. Should've put a camera over it.  :P

(thanks for the heads up)

pigture perfect

If the AGFC says there are no Cougars in Arkansas, why is it illegal to kill one as stated in the hunting regs?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 31, 2011, 11:38:40 pm
If the AGFC says there are no Cougars in Arkansas, why is it illegal to kill one as stated in the hunting regs?

LOL.....Exactly what some of us have asked earlier.  Don't remember seeing anything in the regulations again this year, about Moose, Black tailed deer, Wolverines, or Antelope being illegal to kill in the state......how come they are not listed in there??  It is my understanding, that none of those species are supposed to be in Arkansas either........but the AGFC regulations singles out cougars??  We may never figure out how we can illegally shoot something that's not here.......guess you would really need a "keen eye" to spot them.....hard to see what the AGFC is worried about.  Maybe as long as nobody shoots one & brings it in, they can claim there are none........& any reports of sightings will always be dismissed.......or the standard excuse... say it was a pet that got loose.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 01, 2011, 01:35:32 am
LOL.....Exactly what some of us have asked earlier.  Don't remember seeing anything in the regulations again this year, about Moose, Black tailed deer, Wolverines, or Antelope being illegal to kill in the state......how come they are not listed in there??  It is my understanding, that none of those species are supposed to be in Arkansas either........but the AGFC regulations singles out cougars??  We may never figure out how we can illegally shoot something that's not here.......guess you would really need a "keen eye" to spot them.....hard to see what the AGFC is worried about.  Maybe as long as nobody shoots one & brings it in, they can claim there are none........& any reports of sightings will always be dismissed.......or the standard excuse... say it was a pet that got loose.
If the wording is "Cougars" are you sure they are talking about mountain lions???  Other cougars may be about.

Rzbakfromwaybak

November 02, 2011, 02:03:40 am #17 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:06:42 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 01, 2011, 10:08:46 pm
If the wording is "Cougars" are you sure they are talking about mountain lions???  Other cougars may be about.

You are exactly right .......they are out there too, thicker than the mtn. lions  & actually a lot more dangerous.....

They are just not listed in the hunting regulations........least not yet.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 02, 2011, 02:03:40 am
You are exactly right .......they are out there too, thicker than the mtn. lions  & actually a lot more dangerous.....

They are just not listed in the hunting regulations........least not yet.

Usually armed with a double barrel weapon, but I hear they are usually fake. 

HoggieStyle

Caught on a trail cam near Atoka in southeast Oklahoma.

http://newsok.com/trail-camera-near-atoka-snaps-a-mountain-lion/article/3429730

Hit by a truck near Minco, southwest of Oklahoma City.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-mountain-lion-found-hit-by-car-20111102,0,63289.story

I got news kids...if they're in Oklahoma, they're in Arkansas.

Chuck Boarris

The cops shot one in a neighborhood 5 miles from my house inside the Bossier City city limits. If we have them here in Shreveport/Bossier, then they are in Arkansas.

PonderinHog

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 03, 2011, 09:59:11 am
Caught on a trail cam near Atoka in southeast Oklahoma.

http://newsok.com/trail-camera-near-atoka-snaps-a-mountain-lion/article/3429730

Hit by a truck near Minco, southwest of Oklahoma City.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-mountain-lion-found-hit-by-car-20111102,0,63289.story

You would think so.....but evidently  (according to the AGFC)  mtn lions are not allowed to cross our state line......

Verge

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 03, 2011, 09:59:11 am

1. Does it really matter?

2. Proof?

Is it like jesus maybe, we are just supposed to have faith that they live and reproduce here with any evidence.

HoggieStyle

Does it matter? No. I just think it is stupid for AGFC to say there are none in Arkansas. Don't have any proof, but I would be shocked if there aren't some happy mountain lion families up in NW Arkansas.

Verge

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 07, 2011, 08:04:00 pm
Does it matter? No. I just think it is stupid for AGFC to say there are none in Arkansas. Don't have any proof, but I would be shocked if there aren't some happy mountain lion families up in NW Arkansas.

I just don't see why it's shocking for th AGFC to say they don't live here, when there isn't any proof that they do. It's also rather odd that so many people pretend to want them to live here... why would they want to live here? The same people wishing are the ones who get pissed when they lose a calf or dog to predation, they go out and shoot one of it's staple foods every November, and many would love to shoot a mountain lion as well for plain old thuggish redneckery.

Maybe the AGFC put up signs in cat language that said, "don't come here, life is probably better elsewhere," hence the denial?

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hudge

I feel sure there are mountain lions in AR. If the AGFC admitted there was, they have to allot money aside to study them. That is the main reason they say there are not any "wild" ones in the state.