Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women's Final 4/UConn's Domminance

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, March 31, 2017, 01:36:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Does UConn's dominance take away from the Final 4?  I know for the players and coaches involved they are still very excited to be there and a great accomplishment but with the way UConn has dominated this year does it make the Women's Final 4 less interesting for the average fan?

My wife is an MSU alum and huge fan.  She has watched many of their games on TV this year and swore that if they got into the Final 4 in Dallas she would go.  State has a strong contingent of fans there, but for my wife it just wasn't practical.  She could make it to Dallas in time for the game but not any of the pregame festivities.  So you go down for one game and it's against UConn.  She didn't outwardly have this attitude, but it was I've got X,Y,Z so there's no way I can do it.  Any other team I would have insisted she go see if they win game 1 and if so enjoy the next day with fans and then the final.  But since they drew UConn I was like well honey......

I know or hope every other WBB fan will be watching, hoping beyond hope that UConn gets beat.  Any non-UConn fan in the arena should be cheering for MSU.

So does UConn's dominance lessen your interest and make you go meh they will most likely win in 2 beat downs so why bother?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BWS

For a basketball fan, its enjoyable to watch UConn. The way they play as a team and execute on offense and defense is a real treat to see. The way Auriemma coaches, I can understand why they have such a long winning streak. During the UCLA game, I watched Auriemma completely chew out Naphessa Collier after she fouled out. They were up by 15 with less than a minute to play and she scored a game high 28 points.

As for the Final Four, I don't think UConn is going to dominate like they have the previous years. Last years team definitely would, but this years team has shown some vulnerabilities. I think Miss St., South Carolina and Stanford can all beat UConn on a neutral court.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BWS on March 31, 2017, 03:00:34 pm
For a basketball fan, its enjoyable to watch UConn. The way they play as a team and execute on offense and defense is a real treat to see. The way Auriemma coaches, I can understand why they have such a long winning streak. During the UCLA game, I watched Auriemma completely chew out Naphessa Collier after she fouled out. They were up by 15 with less than a minute to play and she scored a game high 28 points.

As for the Final Four, I don't think UConn is going to dominate like they have the previous years. Last years team definitely would, but this years team has shown some vulnerabilities. I think Miss St., South Carolina and Stanford can all beat UConn on a neutral court.

Great input.  All 3 playing very well right now.  Would love to see State and USC in the final  They have had some great battles.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 31, 2017, 01:36:45 pm
Does UConn's dominance take away from the Final 4?  I know for the players and coaches involved they are still very excited to be there and a great accomplishment but with the way UCo

Only reason to be interested, unless you are an MSU, Stanford, or USC fan is to root against UConn. Hate them and Geno. Man, I hope someone takes them down.

Dr. Starcs

Would be a lot more interesting if Coates for SC wasn't injured.

yraciv

Quite the opposite actually. I'm not much of a women's basketball fan, so I like seeing dominating efforts in women's basketball. UCONN is about as dominant as it gets, so I've enjoyed watching them pound teams into submission. They do everything so well and are a joy to watch unlike the slowdown, low shooting percentage games from a lot of women teams.

That being said I don't think this team is as good as the other two in my opinion.  I was telling someone before the tournament, if I was in Vegas, I'd take the field over UCONN. I do like upsets and have a girlfriend that goes to MS State, so I'll be rooting for the upset tonight, but I certainly don't mind watching UCONN assert even more dominance.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: yraciv on March 31, 2017, 03:53:38 pm
Quite the opposite actually. I'm not much of a women's basketball fan, so I like seeing dominating efforts in women's basketball. UCONN is about as dominant as it gets, so I've enjoyed watching them pound teams into submission. They do everything so well and are a joy to watch unlike the slowdown, low shooting percentage games from a lot of women teams.

That being said I don't think this team is as good as the other two in my opinion.  I was telling someone before the tournament, if I was in Vegas, I'd take the field over UCONN. I do like upsets and have a girlfriend that goes to MS State, so I'll be rooting for the upset tonight, but I certainly don't mind watching UCONN assert even more dominance.

I lived in Starkville for 10 years and besides my wife being an alum, most of my inlaws are alums or fans.  Just being in the Final 4 has meant a lot to that university and community.  They really get behind their teams.

BWS

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 31, 2017, 03:44:34 pm
Would be a lot more interesting if Coates for SC wasn't injured.

I really think SC plays better without Coates.

ScientificRocket

Quote from: BWS on March 31, 2017, 03:00:34 pm

You guys need to chill out.  The Lady Huskies are going to absolutely stomp whatever team they face in the tournament.  They are badasses.  I am probably a little biased, but not by very much (I am a U of A alum living in Connecticut).

psycHOGlogist

Dr. Starcs

So y'all think SC will give uconn a better game with Coates out?

3kgthog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 31, 2017, 06:48:08 pm
So y'all think SC will give uconn a better game with Coates out?

Nope! Lol Happy for those ladies from Starkvegas.

farfromgroovins

hitman warrior23

Does UConn's dominance take away from the Final 4?  I know for the players and coaches involved they are still very excited to be there and a great accomplishment but with the way UConn has dominated this year does it make the Women's Final 4 less interesting for the average fan?

My wife is an MSU alum and huge fan.  She has watched many of their games on TV this year and swore that if they got into the Final 4 in Dallas she would go.  State has a strong contingent of fans there, but for my wife it just wasn't practical.  She could make it to Dallas in time for the game but not any of the pregame festivities.  So you go down for one game and it's against UConn.  She didn't outwardly have this attitude, but it was I've got X,Y,Z so there's no way I can do it.  Any other team I would have insisted she go see if they win game 1 and if so enjoy the next day with fans and then the final.  But since they drew UConn I was like well honey......

I know or hope every other WBB fan will be watching, hoping beyond hope that UConn gets beat.  Any non-UConn fan in the arena should be cheering for MSU.

So does UConn's dominance lessen your interest and make you go meh they will most likely win in 2 beat downs so why bother?

Why they play the game!!

PonderinHog

Is that what they call an Itty Bitty upset?  State outplayed UConn all night long.

XavierZane

Caught the last minute and overtime.  What a great game.  Being called the biggest upset in sports history, and one of the best games in Women's Basketball and Tourney history.  Lol, will the OP's wife ever forgive him? 

PonderinHog

Quote from: XavierZane on March 31, 2017, 11:54:57 pm
Caught the last minute and overtime.  What a great game.  Being called the biggest upset in sports history, and one of the best games in Women's Basketball and Tourney history.  Lol, will the OP's wife ever forgive him?
I hope he has a comfortable couch.

Dwight_K_Shrute

She's not mad at me, more at herself, but so excited for the win that it's not too bad. Job kept her from going as much as anything. She's a teacher. Parent Teacher conferences this week testing starts Monday.

psycHOGlogist

I loved it. The announcers were so annoying, the officials gave UConn the benefit of the doubt whenever they could, and the Bulldogs still took it.

Simply awesome.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 01, 2017, 01:01:56 am
I loved it. The announcers were so annoying, the officials gave UConn the benefit of the doubt whenever they could, and the Bulldogs still took it.

Simply awesome.

Yep now time for us to get a real damn coach to start us down that path.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 01, 2017, 01:18:14 am
Yep now time for us to get a real damn coach to start us down that path.

And from what I understand, Schaffer would love to come back and can't even get an interview. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

One last thing, never really been a fan of Auriemma, not sure why, but the way he handled the loss was impressive.  Class act last night. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ScientificRocket on March 31, 2017, 04:39:21 pm
You guys need to chill out.  The Lady Huskies are going to absolutely stomp whatever team they face in the tournament.  They are badasses.  I am probably a little biased, but not by very much (I am a U of A alum living in Connecticut).

Not so fast my Friend.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-womens-tournament-final-four-uconn-mississippi-state-overtime/p1yxdb2tv9lq1ky8ddd695hiy
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogz87

Last night while watching this game I thought of something.  For women's Final Four games, especially ones involving UConn, ESPN should have alternate commentators at the game.  Dave O'Brien and Doris Burke were a joke.  I started watching with a few minutes left in the third quarter after seeing the game was tied.  I flip over and O'Brien and Burke are as ho-hum as can be.  They were acting like it was a UConn vs ________ game in December and UConn was up by 40.  THere wasn't any excitement in their voices, no change of tone, etc. when Mississippi kept scoring to stay one step (2-4 points) ahead of UConn.  One of the most epic, greatest upset in sports history was on the verge of happening and O'Brien and Burke were just casually talking about the game.

On top of that, as the game progressed, it was obvious part of the reason they were so calm and ho-hum is because I think they knew/expected UConn would take the lead and pull away.  Once it started looking more and more possible that Mississippi State might actually pull-off the upset of the century, though, their extreme UConn bias came out.  There was one point that both of them were up-in-arms over a foul called on UConn; Doris Burke even finally raised her voice and called it an absolutely terrible call.  During the flagrant foul situation at the end of the game, both O'Brien and Burke were so matter-of-fact that the play was definitely, without question a flagrant foul.  For those that watched the game, you know the foul in question wasn't even a little bit intentional and it wasn't even that "hard" or "violent" of a foul.  It was one of the mildest flagrant fouls I've ever seen.

What got me is that the refs went back and reviewed it two plays later.  Like the "flagrant" happened, Mississippi State got the ball and ran their possession, UConn got the ball back and came down and ran their possession and then there was a dead ball timeout.  If the play/foul was so malicious and so "flagrant" why didn't the refs stop it right then and there and review it?     

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 01, 2017, 07:00:56 am
And from what I understand, Schaffer would love to come back and can't even get an interview. 

There is zero chance that either part of this is true.

tophawg19

Uh you were saying ? SEC all the way .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Inhogswetrust

OOPS! Don't count your stompings before the final horn!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 01, 2017, 09:16:04 am
There is zero chance that either part of this is true.
If he wanted an interview, he would get one for sure . But he is a King at MSU right now and I doubt we would pay what they would match .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

psycHOGlogist

If you think Schaeffer is going to leave MSU before the senior year of a) Morgan William, b) Victoria Vivians, and c) his own daughter, I have a bridge to sell you. 

logic

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 31, 2017, 03:14:50 pm
Great input.  All 3 playing very well right now.  Would love to see State and USC in the final  They have had some great battles.
You got your wish.

Vantage 8 dude

I am so totally glad that MSU finally took the "queens" down. Can't stand UCONS.

XavierZane

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 01, 2017, 08:32:00 am
Last night while watching this game I thought of something.  For women's Final Four games, especially ones involving UConn, ESPN should have alternate commentators at the game.  Dave O'Brien and Doris Burke were a joke.  I started watching with a few minutes left in the third quarter after seeing the game was tied.  I flip over and O'Brien and Burke are as ho-hum as can be.  They were acting like it was a UConn vs ________ game in December and UConn was up by 40.  THere wasn't any excitement in their voices, no change of tone, etc. when Mississippi kept scoring to stay one step (2-4 points) ahead of UConn.  One of the most epic, greatest upset in sports history was on the verge of happening and O'Brien and Burke were just casually talking about the game.

On top of that, as the game progressed, it was obvious part of the reason they were so calm and ho-hum is because I think they knew/expected UConn would take the lead and pull away.  Once it started looking more and more possible that Mississippi State might actually pull-off the upset of the century, though, their extreme UConn bias came out.  There was one point that both of them were up-in-arms over a foul called on UConn; Doris Burke even finally raised her voice and called it an absolutely terrible call.  During the flagrant foul situation at the end of the game, both O'Brien and Burke were so matter-of-fact that the play was definitely, without question a flagrant foul.  For those that watched the game, you know the foul in question wasn't even a little bit intentional and it wasn't even that "hard" or "violent" of a foul.  It was one of the mildest flagrant fouls I've ever seen.

What got me is that the refs went back and reviewed it two plays later.  Like the "flagrant" happened, Mississippi State got the ball and ran their possession, UConn got the ball back and came down and ran their possession and then there was a dead ball timeout.  If the play/foul was so malicious and so "flagrant" why didn't the refs stop it right then and there and review it?   

Yeah, they were awful.  The announcers were condescending toward the Miss. State coach for being angry that flagrant, but it was because the refs retroactively changed things and handed UCONN two points and the ball with the shot clock off.  The announcers refused to acknowledge that at all, and if that UCONN player hadn't had an epic lapse in judgement they easily could have won.  The refs put UCONN in a position to win it at the end of regulation too.

hawg1221

Domination by one team in a sport is never good for the game.  My opinion of course.

hoglady

Figured if Ms. St. could keep in close they might have an advantage at the end.
UConn execution and decision making was questionable at the end. I mean they took at shot with 12 seconds left in overtime that gave MSU a chance to win. A team used to playing close games normally doesn't make that mistake. (3 single digit games out of the 111 straight wins). Those kids aren't used to any end of game pressure.
Glad to see UConn go down.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 01, 2017, 06:17:44 pm
Domination by one team in a sport is never good for the game.  My opinion of course.
Totally agree in so many ways. Just as IMO the "head lock" dominance that UCLA had on the men's side under Wooden, the similar UCONN string has in general NOT been helpful to the sport. Heck, when you typically win by 30-40 points (or more) whatever interest or suspense in the outcome of the game has obviously been eliminated. In fact, it's as if the game need not be played to being with. I suspect about the only folks who've been thrilled with the UCONN streak have been UCON alum/supporters.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Had a feeling MSU might not have enough left after that epic OT win.  I know not 1 MSU player or coach would agree with this but this is almost a gravy game for the SEC and it's as if there are no losers.  Yes MSU lost the game but they claimed their own piece of history in the semi's.  Both teams can walk off that court with their heads held high. 

riccoar

I'm guessing ole Vic just earned another new contract.

psycHOGlogist

I think Vic has some questions to answer about his player rotation in last night's game, but yes, making the NC game from Starkville -- someone is about to get paid.

DeltaBoy

Yes cause they LOST TO MSU!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 02, 2017, 07:08:57 pm
Had a feeling MSU might not have enough left after that epic OT win.  I know not 1 MSU player or coach would agree with this but this is almost a gravy game for the SEC and it's as if there are no losers.  Yes MSU lost the game but they claimed their own piece of history in the semi's.  Both teams can walk off that court with their heads held high.
My thoughts exactly even before yesterday's game. While I know that MSU certainly wanted to win the championship game, not sure how much "gas was still in the tank" after the war with UCON.

One thing I think no doubt spelled a huge difference for MSU on Friday night. For the first time in the tournament I saw a team actively attack the Huskies on both ends of the court. Seems that in every game before that the other teams more or less conceded any potential rebounding position and aggressive play making to the lady Huskies. Opponents would sit back hoping that their long range "bombers" would consistently miss; however, even when they did they often allowed the Huskies players to have two, three, even for four additional shots. MSU was clearly the more aggressive team for most of the game the other night. While I realize a lot of teams wouldn't necessarily have MSU's talent, however, they have to quit playing scared and practically conceding the game before it even begins.