Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mississippi State vs Washington in OKC on Friday...

Started by Sow’sEar, March 20, 2017, 09:50:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sow’sEar

Could this be a battle of Arkansas' top two candidates?  Could the loser of this game get offered the job first as the winner moves on in the tournament?   Is either candidate even interested in the job? Might be a good game to go watch...

Porked Tongue

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 20, 2017, 09:54:14 pm
There's a "yes" in there.

:-)

Excited to see this game, irrespective of the clear implications for our search. Should be a dandy - UW's high octane offense vs MSU's stingy defense. Can Vivians get back on track? What will slow down Plum? The battle of the big girls inside will also be something. 

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Ericcartman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 20, 2017, 09:54:14 pm
There's a "yes" in there.
Unfortunately probable no. As I have read earlier in post Vic makes $660,000 and his daughter has 1 more year of eligibility. Doug makes I believe I read $440,000 and signed a contract last May that last until 2023. They do not let you just walk away from those contracts you must be bought out. How much who knows? So, most likely will be a mid-major turn around coach. I would like to think a definite sitting head coach. I have been looking and there seems so be some candidates already mentioned in earlier post.

LadybackBBFan

I love Washington's offense - 108 points against Oklahoma last night.  That is two games worth of scoring for Dykes teams if we could even get there in two games.  This should be an exciting game - I would like to see Mississippi State win so we could hire our new coach - hopefully.  Just my fantasy - I have no knowledge.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ericcartman on March 21, 2017, 08:18:33 am
Unfortunately probable no. As I have read earlier in post Vic makes $660,000 and his daughter has 1 more year of eligibility. Doug makes I believe I read $440,000 and signed a contract last May that last until 2023. They do not let you just walk away from those contracts you must be bought out. How much who knows? So, most likely will be a mid-major turn around coach. I would like to think a definite sitting head coach. I have been looking and there seems so be some candidates already mentioned in earlier post.

Have you personally read their contracts? I doubt it. Those are Women's coaches. I'd bet they don't have the huge buyout the Men's coaches do except in a few locations but that's just a guess. I'd also bet he knows much more about what goes on in the Hog athletic department than you do. That doesn't mean either one would accept the job if offered ,only that their names have been mentioned by some I'd trust over someone with 2 posts.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorjack

Who is Doug?  They are  talking about Vic at Miss St and Mike at Washington!!

Sow’sEar

Quote from: Ericcartman on March 21, 2017, 08:18:33 am
Doug who?

Ericcartman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2017, 12:11:33 pm
Have you personally read their contracts? I doubt it. Those are Women's coaches. I'd bet they don't have the huge buyout the Men's coaches do except in a few locations but that's just a guess. I'd also bet he knows much more about what goes on in the Hog athletic department than you do. That doesn't mean either one would accept the job if offered ,only that their names have been mentioned by some I'd trust over someone with 2 posts.
First off I never said that they would not take the job offer (just lots of big hurdles). Second, you are correct I have not read their contracts, but If you will take and google their names with the word salary you will see everything I have stated is accurate. I have no inside info. just an opinion like you.

Scott7703

Wouldnt waste my time googling that. Just be patient and let the rest of the tournament play out and then most should be pleased.

BWS

Watching that game last night and seeing that atmosphere, crowd of 15,000+, I'm skeptical if Arkansas is as appealing of a job for Mike Neighbors as it was three years ago. He is on record saying Arkansas was his dream job. Hopefully, that's still the case.

jackflash

Scott7703

Interesting that you aren't impressed with a team in the sweet 16.

psycHOGlogist

Tough night for the Huskies - they played two very good quarters and two weak ones. They didn't have an answer for MSU's 6'7" post, who played out of her mind tonight. It was also not a good night for Plum and Osahor to get pretty much no offensive help from their supporting cast.

I'm bummed for them, but part of me is glad because I think we'll now hit the accelerator on our coaching search, whether it ends with Neighbors or someone else.

mbgrulz

Quote from: BWS on March 21, 2017, 05:57:08 pm
Watching that game last night and seeing that atmosphere, crowd of 15,000+, I'm skeptical if Arkansas is as appealing of a job for Mike Neighbors as it was three years ago. He is on record saying Arkansas was his dream job. Hopefully, that's still the case.
I know he was a little miffed that he didn't so much as get a call 3 years ago. That was before he took UW to a final 4 and now a sweet 16. He is in a different stratosphere now. We'll see if coming home and being closer to his kids and family is enough to leave a great situation in Seattle.

Ericcartman

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 24, 2017, 10:00:17 pm
I know he was a little miffed that he didn't so much as get a call 3 years ago. That was before he took UW to a final 4 and now a sweet 16. He is in a different stratosphere now. We'll see if coming home and being closer to his kids and family is enough to leave a great situation in Seattle.
I think you are 100% correct. But he may want to and not be able to because of financial commitments .

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Ericcartman on March 24, 2017, 10:11:51 pm
I think you are 100% correct. But he may want to and not be able to because of financial commitments .

Do you mean buyout? I'm sure we're aware of whatever buyout or other contingencies exist, and if we are pursuing him, we are prepared to satisfy them (or at least try to).

flippinhogmana

we will have a coach announced before the month is out....I believe I said that already.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 24, 2017, 11:42:43 pm
we will have a coach announced before the month is out....I believe I said that already.

^^^id pay attention to this.

hog63

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 24, 2017, 10:00:17 pm

He was talked with the last time

mbgrulz

Quote from: hog63 on March 25, 2017, 10:05:24 am
He was talked with the last time
Not what i heard...JL had his guy in JD from the jump.

psycHOGlogist

March 26, 2017, 01:20:19 am #24 Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:30:31 am by psycHOGlogist
Quote from: mbgrulz on March 25, 2017, 11:09:59 pm
Not what i heard...JL had his guy in JD from the jump.

I don't think what you heard is correct. Even a little.

Here's some reporting from the time that references a search process. (It's also really appalling to read this stuff now, knowing what a garbage coach full of hollow words he turned out to be. Well, hindsight is 20-20, I suppose).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/arkansas-hires-espns-dykes-coach-160006273--ncaaw.html

mbgrulz

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 26, 2017, 01:20:19 am
I don't think what you heard is correct. Even a little.

Here's some reporting from the time that references a search process. (It's also really appalling to read this stuff now, knowing what a garbage coach full of hollow words he turned out to be. Well, hindsight is 20-20, I suppose).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/arkansas-hires-espns-dykes-coach-160006273--ncaaw.html

It may not be correct, but that would mean somebody REALLY close to the situation is wrong.

flippinhogmana

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 27, 2017, 10:01:59 am
For those of you who forget this was posted back at the time:

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/3/26/5526838/could-mike-neighbors-be-the-next-head-coach-of-the-ladybacks-arkansas-razorbacks-womens-basketball

Man, to read that and think "what might have been..." Literally, any of those candidates (with the possible exception of Adams, who got in trouble and lost her job at Wichita St this year -- in the middle of a successful season -- over being too verbally tough on her players), would have almost CERTAINLY been better than who we ended up with. (And even with Adams, you can bet we wouldn't have had the flag kneeling incident.)

Sigh.

Well, maybe there are second chances to get it right.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 27, 2017, 10:21:18 am
Man, to read that and think "what might have been..." Literally, any of those candidates (with the possible exception of Adams, who got in trouble and lost her job at Wichita St this year -- in the middle of a successful season -- over being too verbally tough on her players), would have almost CERTAINLY been better than who we ended up with. (And even with Adams, you can bet we wouldn't have had the flag kneeling incident.)

Sigh.

Nothing wrong with a swing and a miss by the AD it happens to even the best.  But in our case it was a swing and a miss so hard that the bat flew out of his hands went several rows into the stands and killed someone. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 27, 2017, 10:31:29 am
Nothing wrong with a swing and a miss by the AD it happens to even the best.  But in our case it was a swing and a miss so hard that the bat flew out of his hands went several rows into the stands and killed someone. 

ROFLMAO. Word.

psycHOGlogist

Apparently Hammons is no longer interested in UF. I guess that's what you get for low-balling an offer.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/report-becky-hammon-turns-florida-womens-job

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 27, 2017, 10:21:18 am

Sigh.

Whether it is politics, public policy in general when I was a city manager, or in matters like this I sometimes wonder if I am the only one who has a memory past yesterday or maybe thirty days.  Because of this I sometimes shout at the tv when people simply dont analyze things correctly because they dont seem to remember the context and formative events and actions taken by whom at the time (well it could be people dont remember things because they have an agenda that makes them want to sweep certain things under the rug).  If it is innocent non-recollect, it brings to mind something a friend of mine used to say about people 'they have a good memory-but its short'!

but in point of fact, something curious DID happen here.  It appears to be a deliberative process, then out of left field, seemingly out of then air 'an conventional candidate' is chosen.  Was the search simply for show?  I have seen a few of those, enough to know its sometimes happens.  I cant imagine as long said at the time that 'JD was head and shoulders above the other candidates'.  What rational professional could reach such a conclusion?

BWS

Cameron Newbauer will be Florida's new coach. Great hire.

psycHOGlogist

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BWS on March 27, 2017, 03:39:49 pm
Cameron Newbauer will be Florida's new coach. Great hire.

Very much in line with their last 2 MBB hires. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.