Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB DH at Tuscaloosa - G1 - Extra Inning L

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 12, 2017, 11:28:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

March 12, 2017, 11:28:29 am Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:46:57 pm by psycHOGlogist
Time to try to bounce back from the first run-rule loss of the season.

Storms in the circle, same lineup as the first game otherwise.

Hiers - C
Canfield - CF
Schroeder - RF
Cooper - LF
Belans - SS
Diaz - 1b
Hedgcock - DP
Yannetti - 2b
Russell - 3b

Bama is pitching Littlejohn in this game. Very good pitcher, but not as shut-down a pitcher as Osorio.

psycHOGlogist

T1 -
Hiers starts off the game with a BB.
Canfield popped out to SS, 1 down.
Schroeder singles through the left side, runners at 1st/2nd, 1 down for Cooper.
Cooper singles to RF, who makes a bad play on the ball. Schroeder to 2nd, Hiers scores (unearned, E9) 1-0  :razorback: s
Belans singles through left side, everyone advances. Bases loaded, 1 out for Diaz.
Diaz fouls out to 3b.
Hedgcock watches strike 3, leaving them loaded.

Still - much more like it.

Storms to face the top of the Bama order.

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

but I wish they had at least got two runs there
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 12, 2017, 11:47:21 am
but I wish they had at least got two runs there

Yeah. Or 3, but I'm greedy! ;-)

psycHOGlogist

B1 -
Leadoff batter reaches on a bad play by Diaz, who tossed the ball to Yannetti way over her head covering first. Argh. E3

2 hitter tries to bunt but pops out to Russell. No play to double the runner at 1st.
3 hitter hits a chopper, hits Storms' glove, but Yannetti scoops it up and gets the runner at 1b. Runner on 2b, 2 out.
Clean-up hitter hits a lazy can of corn to Schroeder, 3 outs. Still 1-0  :razorback: s

Storms looks good - got ahead of every hitter. Hope that continues!

Due up in T2 - Yannetti, Russell, Hiers.

psycHOGlogist

T2 -

Yannetti pops out to SS. Big swing, not great contact.
Russell shows bunt on the first couple pitches, but slaps one right back to Littlejohn, who throws her out easily at 1b.
Hiers singles to deep SS.
Canfield strokes one into RF, Hiers to 2b. 2 on, 2 out for Schroeder. 
Schroeder works a full count, but Littlejohn gets a VERY (ridiculously?) favorable 3rd strike call to sit Schroeder down.

Storms to the circle to face the 5-6-7 hitters for Bama.

psycHOGlogist

B2 -

5 hitter hits a sharp grounder to Russell, who makes a very nice grab and easily throws her out. 1 down.
6 hitter walks on 4 pitches. Storms fell behind both of the first two hitters this inning.

Storms was called for an illegal pitch, too, which I have to confess I don't see.

7 hitter singles into LF, sharply hit. Maybe playable by Russell, but pretty hard hit.
8 hitter K's.

Man - this ump sucks. Just for the record.

9 hitter - Grounds to 3b, who guns down the VERY speedy runner. Nice play. No damage.

Due up for the Hogs  in T3 - Cooper, Belans, Diaz

psycHOGlogist

T3 -

Cooper hits a soft grounder to 2b, 1 down.
The umpire still sucks. Giving Littlejohn these pitches that are clearly off the plate inside to RH batters. Storms not (yet?) getting close calls.
Belans with very patient at-bat, works a full count, but then hits a fly ball out to fairly deep CF, 2 down.
Diaz singles up the middle, 1 on, 2 out for Hedgcock.
Hedgcock looks a little dodgy at the plate, swings and misses for her 2nd K.

Due up for Bama in B3 - top of the order.

psycHOGlogist

B3 -

Leadoff batter called out for making contact with ball while her foot was out of batter's box. Which it was, per replay. Good call, so maybe I'll back off my ump criticism. :-) 1 down.

2 hitter works a full count then grounds out to Storms, 2 down.
3 hitter, who is pretty slow, hits a nubber in front of the plate, Hiers easily throws her out.
3-up, 3-down for Storms.

Due up for Hogs in T4 - Yannetti, Russell, Hiers.

flippinhogmana

Canfeild and Russell!  Canfield is showing more and more signs of waking up!

psycHOGlogist

T4

Yannetti - falls behind in the count but works a full count before watching a strike right over the middle of the plate. ?? No question that that was a strike. Not sure why there was no swing.

Russell - slaps a single right up the middle - nice piece of hitting.

Hiers - grounds out softly to 3b, Russell moves up to 2b. 2 outs for Canfield.
Russell moves up to 3b when C tries to pick her off 2b but throws it into CF.

Canfield - triples down the LF line past the LF and Russell scores!!! 2-0 :razorback: s
Runner on 3rd, 2 outs for Schroeder.

Schroeder gets pitched around, walks. 1st and 3rd, two outs for Cooper.

Cooper watches two perfectly good pitches go by, down 0-2, but pokes a single through the middle to score Canfield! Schroeder to 2b. Great piece of hitting by Cooper! 3-0  :razorback: s.

Runners on 1st/2nd for Belans, 2 outs.

Belans again with a patient at bat, watches the inside strike go by. Really have to start swinging at that. She knew it.

Due up to face Storms in B4 - 4-5-6 hitters.

flippinhogmana

thats more like it.  Love those two out hits!  Love that Storms is showing up big so far.  9 hits for the hogs, 1 for bama.  One error on the hogs, two for bama so far.

psycHOGlogist

B4 -

4 hitter hits a liner that results in a nice jumping grab by Belans - 1 down. Nice play by AJ!
5 hitter pops out to 3b.
6 hitter grounds one through the right side. Runner on 1st, 2 out.
7 hitter - works a very long at bat, runner steals. Runner on 2b. Eventually, batter pops out to shallow CF, Yannetti with the grab.

Due up for the Hogs in T5 - Diaz, Hedgcock, Yannetti

psycHOGlogist

T5 -
Diaz RIPS one down the LF line, VERY long single. Would have been a 2b for almost anyone else on the lineup. Good call, though - she'd have been out at 2b. Beringhele on to PR.

Bugarin PH for Hedgcock - watches two perfectly good pitches go by, then swings at a bad pitch way outside, K. Blech.

Yannetti - patient, works a walk. Runners on 1/2 for Russell. PPock on to run for Yannetti.

Russell lays down a SB, moves up both runners. Runners on 2nd/3rd for Hiers, 2 out.

Hiers - watches the first strike, then swings for the fences and misses, down 0-2. But the 1-2 pitch comes inside and hits her on the knee. Bases loaded for Canfield, 2 outs.

Canfield - falls behind 1-2, watches the third strike. Ugh. Second time we've left them loaded today, 11 LOB total.

Still up 3-0.

Due up to face Storms in B5 - 8-9-1 spots

psycHOGlogist

B5 -

8 hitter hits a high chopper in front of home, Hiers makes a nice play to get her at first. Close.
9 hitter hits a liner right at Belans.
1 hitter hits a can of corn to Canfield, fairly deep but not to the track. 3 down.

Due up for the Hogs in T6: Schroeder, Cooper, Belans.

psycHOGlogist

March 12, 2017, 01:25:06 pm #17 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:37:00 pm by psycHOGlogist
T6

Schroeder - works a good at bat, full count, then walks. Really patient at bat, fouling off some tough pitches to stay alive. Runner on 1b for Cooper. Parr on to run for Schroeder.

Cooper - SMASHES the ball at the 2b, and she can't come up with it on the very short hop. Parr to 3b, Cooper to 1b. Give her a hit on it (right call - she crushed it). First and 3rd, 0 outs for Belans.

Belans - swings and misses at the first pitch, then walks on next four. Bases loaded, no outs for Diaz. Kryzsko on to run for AJ.

Diaz - hits it off the end of the bat to SS, pop out for 1 out.

Box on to PH for DP slot - goes down 0-2. Predictably, she watches the third strike go by on the inside corner. Gah!

We continue to take the first pitch, which is usually right down main street. Frustrating.

Yannetti - goes down 1-2, hits the softest of ground balls to 2b, out at first. THIRD time we have left them loaded, this time with 0 outs. Very disappointing. Hope it doesn't change the momentum.

Due up to face Storms: 2-3-4 spots.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

we've left the bases loaded three times-that a no-no, plus Storms was on the bench getting cold for a long time.

psycHOGlogist

March 12, 2017, 01:40:43 pm #20 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:57:48 pm by psycHOGlogist
B6 -

2 hitter - singles up the middle.
3 hitter - Storms walks batter on 4 pitches. For first time all game, looks shaky. PR for 3 hitter.
4 hitter -  Starts with another two balls. Yikes. Deifel out to talk to her. Comes back with a strike. She hits a short hop to 1b, Diaz steps on 1b for out, throws to 2nd, but runner returns to 1b. No DP. Runners at 1/3, 1 out. THIS CLOSE to being a triple play.
Meuchel is out arguing -  but he gets tossed. Fun! :-)
5 hitter - Flies out to fairly shallow LF, no one advances. Still runners at corners, 2 outs.
6 hitter - having a good at bat, fouling off a lot of pitches, she singles up the middle, scoring runner from 3b. 3-1  :razorback: s
Runners at 1-2 for 7 hitter, 2 outs.
7 hitter - walks. Bases loaded for the 8 hitter. PH comes in, freshman from Alabama, .336 hitter.
PH - Storms sits her down with K! Bama leaves them loaded. Turnabout is fair!

Due up for the Hogs - Russell, Hiers, Canfield.

flippinhogmana

Auturm Storms is the woman!  And our number one pitcher!

flippinhogmana

I want Nicole to have one more crack at Littlejohn.

psycHOGlogist

T7 -

Russell lines the first pitch to the 2b, 1 out.
Hiers hits the first pitch on a soft nubber to 2b. 2 out. Yikes. Canfield needs to take a pitch or two here.
Canfield - makes her work a bit, but floats a pop up to 2b.

Due up for Bama - 9-1-2

flippinhogmana

okay now I dont want Nicole to have another crack.  Set em down Autumn, reach down deep one more time.

psycHOGlogist

March 12, 2017, 02:06:34 pm #25 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:21:38 pm by psycHOGlogist
B7 -

9 hitter - Storms sits her down - K.
1 hitter - singles to SS. Tough play. Belans makes a nice play to grab it, but can't get the speedy runner who dives in face first.
2 hitter - hits a triple. Badly played by Schroeder in RF, run scores. Runner on 3. 1 out. Ugh.
They put the 3 hitter - Bama's best offensive threat - on with an IBB.
Runners at first and 3rd, 1 out.
4 hitter - Storms gets behind 3-0, but gets it back to full count. C'mon, ump. Walks her on a pitch he's been calling a strike all day for Littlejohn. This is bs. Even the Alabama announcer says so. Bases loaded, 1 out.
5 hitter - Storms is struggling with control here. She laces a fly ball to LF, runner from 3b tags, tie game. 3-3.
Sigh. Should have  been the 3rd out.
6 hitter grounds one sharply to SS, who flips to 2nd for the force.

Due up for Hogs - Schroeder, Cooper, Belans.

psycHOGlogist

T8 - no international tie-breaker.
Schroeder swings at a 3-0 pitch, flies out to deep CF. Should have taken that pitch and been a baserunner.

Bama brings in Osorio. Sigh. 1 down, Cooper up.
And as if on cue, Cooper starts waving at rise balls over her head.
Cooper hits a nubber to 3b, she's actually safe at 1b (imo), but the ump calls her out. 2 outs.
Belans continues the trend of swinging at rise balls out of the zone. Man. Full count, swing and miss at .... a rise ball. Would have been a walk.

Due up: 7-8-9

psycHOGlogist

B8
7 hitter - easy fly out to RF.
8 hitter - works a full count (questionable ball/strike calls continue, imo), flies out to the warning track in LF, 2 out.
9 hitter - K.

Due up: Diaz, DP (Box?), Yannetti

psycHOGlogist

T9

Diaz - grounds sharply to SS, 1 out.
Benz PH for Box - K's swinging at a 1-2 rise ball.
Yannetti - K's. Guess what? Rise ball.

Top of the order coming up for Bama.

flippinhogmana

Storms deserved a lot better.

psycHOGlogist

B9 - pessimistic prediction - this is it. Hope I'm wrong.

1 hitter - Can of corn to LF, 1 down.
2 hitter - works full count, but then HR's to end the game, 4-3.

Damn, I was right.

Very tough loss for the Hogs.

ricepig

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 12, 2017, 02:46:39 pm
B9 - pessimistic prediction - this is it. Hope I'm wrong.

1 hitter - Can of corn to LF, 1 down.
2 hitter - works full count, but then HR's to end the game, 4-3.

Damn, I was right.

Very tough loss for the Hogs.

You have to be mentally tough to win these type of games, part of the learning process.

psycHOGlogist

I agree. This one was mental.

Not every opponent will have a pitcher like Osorio, and we manhandled Littlejohn, but couldn't get the clutch hit to break it open (in theory, we could have won this one by run rule with 1 or 2 well timed hits).

Sow’sEar

Good game by hogs...  it's clear to me that this team is going to do better than their 1 conference win a year ago.    I also thought the home umpire needlessly squeezed Stormes in the bottom of the seventh.   I know they're human, but college umps should know better than to try to appease the home crowd in a do or die inning like that....

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Lulu Hog on March 12, 2017, 02:59:04 pm
I also thought the home umpire needlessly squeezed Stormes in the bottom of the seventh.   

This, x 1000. It was ridiculous, imo.

psycHOGlogist

Won't be able to do the G2 pbp, so if someone wants to (flippin?) go ahead. It's through 1, tied at 0 so far.

Go Hogs! #WPS

flippinhogmana

Int the bottom of the 2nd bama loads the bases mainly on walks by Moll.  Another freshman (Hedgcoxk) comes in to pitch and works out of it.  gut check times hogs.

Yani strikes out
Russel strikes out swinging
Hiers ks as well

flippinhogmana

March 12, 2017, 04:02:38 pm #37 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:15:20 pm by flippinhogmana
I should mention that its Osario that is pitching for the tide

Into the bottom of the 3rd

Hemphill singles on an 0-2 count
Runyon sacrifices, runner to second one out
runner goes to third on a wild pitch
Shroeder singles, rbi, 1-0 bama
next batter singles as well, runners at 2 and 3rd, one out
next batter hits into an FC, runner out at third, still 1st & 2nd, now 2 out
next batter with a single and and rbi, 2-0 bama
now a passed ball on Hiers, runner scores, 3-0

And I have to go too!  Some one else can take it up!

psycHOGlogist

We lost 5-0. Good effort (apparently) by Hedgcock. The last two runs were unearned.

Tough weekend sweep in Tuscaloosa, but the Sunday effort was much better than the Friday. Should have won game 1. I like that we were able to rough up Littlejohn a bit. Bodes well for some of the other in conference pitchers we will see.

We have a big OOC game on the road at Tulsa on Wed, then host Tennessee for a weekend series next weekend. They took 2 of 3 from South Carolina in Knoxville this weekend, but looked somewhat vulnerable doing so. Could be an interesting series.

flippinhogmana

we dont get many breaks in the schedule from here on in, especially the next 20 games (16 against ranked teams as shown by the schedule although i dont think the three agiainst Missouri are still ranked, but that would still leave 13 of them that are).