Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Christyn Williams' Top 5

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 11, 2017, 06:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

ricepig

I guess firing Jimmy eliminated us..................

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: ricepig on March 11, 2017, 07:02:41 pm
I guess firing Jimmy eliminated us..................

Not sure if serious ...

ricepig

psycHOGlogist

Scott7703

I predict Arkansas is back in the mix when new coach is hired.

Rocket23

Doesn't surprise me, may change once we hire a coach.  Can't understand UCLA just based on performance and history.  Went to tournament in 2010 and 2016.  Should go this year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 11, 2017, 06:55:11 pm
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/840726409249193985

It was fun to dream.

A new exciting coach with a good name and winning reputation and I still think we get a visit and a long look. 

psycHOGlogist

I would have to assume she's basing her choices off of relationships with staff and other factors. UCLA's coach is a good recruiter and an up and comer, and the campus is beautiful. If she's going for the "best" programs on their own, I can't imagine she'd eliminate South Carolina (especially since Staley was just named Olympic coach). (Also, Tennessee's program is on the way down, imo.)

Wish her the best, except whenever her team plays the Hogs. If whoever we hire changes things for her, so much the better, but I'm not counting on it.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 11, 2017, 08:27:22 pm
Also, Tennessee's program is on the way down, imo.

Have to disagree about Tennessee -- they landed the top ranked 2017 recruiting class.  More likely they are on their way back up.  And their tradition and high attendance figures are a good draw for recruits.

Anyway, hopefully a strong coaching hire can get UA another look from Williams.

logic

It was fun to dream.
In the last 50 years, I don't believe we have had more than a couple of really great girl basketball players that didn't leave the state. Girls are strange.  I have no ideal what their mentality is and that includes Christyn. It happens with boys too but the large majority have loyalty to our state.

hogman64

Quote from: logic on March 12, 2017, 08:15:30 am
In the last 50 years, I don't believe we have had more than a couple of really great girl basketball players that didn't leave the state. Girls are strange.  I have no ideal what their mentality is and that includes Christyn. It happens with boys too but the large majority have loyalty to our state.

she could at least give the U of A a spot in the top 5, out of respect to the state.(or just leave it at top 7 for now).....I suspect she wont be spending much time in the state of Arkansas after high school...

flippinhogmana

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 11, 2017, 09:43:44 pm
Have to disagree about Tennessee -- they landed the top ranked 2017 recruiting class.  More likely they are on their way back up.  And their tradition and high attendance figures are a good draw for recruits.

Anyway, hopefully a strong coaching hire can get UA another look from Williams.

We weren't going to get her with JD, but as you suggest, that all might change and we might be back in the running with a real chance in a couple of weeks.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: logic on March 12, 2017, 08:15:30 am

It's a chicken and egg problem.  When a program fails to achieve success, has poor attendance, and controversy surrounding it, it's hard to blame a player for wanting to go somewhere with a better record in all those areas.  I don't blame Christyn at all for not listing Arkansas as one of her top choices.  She needs to do what she feels is best for her and her goals in life.  On the other hand, it's hard to turn around a program if the state's best players are leaving.  So let's hope that we get an inspiring coach that can start building a program where the best players in the state want to stay and the fans want to come watch.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 12, 2017, 10:35:07 am
It's a chicken and egg problem.  When a program fails to achieve success, has poor attendance, and controversy surrounding it, it's hard to blame a player for wanting to go somewhere with a better record in all those areas.  I don't blame Christyn at all for not listing Arkansas as one of her top choices.  She needs to do what she feels is best for her and her goals in life.  On the other hand, it's hard to turn around a program if the state's best players are leaving.  So let's hope that we get an inspiring coach that can start building a program where the best players in the state want to stay and the fans want to come watch.

Completely agree.

logic

Quote from: hogman64 on March 12, 2017, 08:25:19 am
she could at least give the U of A a spot in the top 5, out of respect to the state.(or just leave it at top 7 for now).....I suspect she wont be spending much time in the state of Arkansas after high school...
That would be true if it was a boy leaving leaving the state for another college but women don't think like men.  I don't  have a clue as to how they think.  At one time I thought they didn't get enough attention and resented their state.  However, now I don't believe that is the reason.  Perhaps, in their minds, distance is sexier.   Kind of like it is with chimps at least in that one study. Researchers found that over 50 percent of young chimps were sired by males outside the tribe.  Apparently a stranger is sexier to a girl than boys they know well.

In any event, I guess it is not all that bad since no doubt girls from other states think the same way and so some may choose the Razorbacks.

Than again, maybe brs_hogfan is correct in that when a team doesn't have success the best players look for a team that does.

LadybackBBFan

For what it is worth, I have coached a lot of different girls in two sports - basketball and softball.  I believe that Dad's (in some cases moms) have a lot more influence on girls than they do on boys.  Parents want their daughter to play where they know she will be successful.

pigture perfect

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 12, 2017, 04:20:05 pm
For what it is worth, I have coached a lot of different girls in two sports - basketball and softball.  I believe that Dad's (in some cases moms) have a lot more influence on girls than they do on boys.  Parents want their daughter to play where they know she will be successful.
I agree with this. Seen it happen many times.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hogtied85

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 12, 2017, 04:20:05 pm

Which is why i said this hire has to be a slam dunk. The only two assistants I would keep is Chenel Harris and Tari Cummings mainly because they can recruit especially Chenel

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 13, 2017, 02:33:09 pm
Which is why i said this hire has to be a slam dunk. The only two assistants I would keep is Chenel Harris and Tari Cummings mainly because they can recruit especially Chenel
My guess is that the only staff member who is completely safe is Amber.  Most coaches will bring their current staff or most of them with them in basketball.  I think that would especially be true if we had a slam dunk hire like Schaffer or Neighbors.  If the coach comes from a smaller school or is an assistant, then that is a total different situation.  I am not saying that on e of the two that you mentioned would not be kept, but I would be surprised if both are kept.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 13, 2017, 03:30:54 pm
Most coaches will bring their current staff or most of them with them in basketball.  I think that would especially be true if we had a slam dunk hire like Schaffer or Neighbors.  If the coach comes from a smaller school or is an assistant, then that is a total different situation. 

I agree with that. We also have exactly zero evidence that Chenel can recruit. I mean, nothing. She's a nice-seeming person, but we have commitments from exactly one athlete - Grayce Spangler, a local kid whose dream it has always been to be a Hog.

I'm not knocking her as a recruiter - I'm just saying the evidence persuade me thus far that she's a hot shot in that area.

I would not expect Cummings to stay, at this point, regardless.

Inhogswetrust

What? She might decide to spend the rest of her life after college in Arkansas. she owe the UA nothing as a recruit. Coaching changes make things happen both good and bad sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dwight_K_Shrute

This is so opposite of Monk situation it's not even funny.

For one we have had a struggling program that hit such depths that there were players leaving mid year.  Finished at the bottom of the conference and just fired the coach.

No one in there right mind would blame this kid for not having Arkansas in her top 5 when we don't even have a coach.

There was an element of stringing along in the Monk case.  There was also an established coach who had just gone to the NCAA's and sent one player to the NBA and possibly two if Qualls had not gotten hurt.

Don't even try to play that game.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 14, 2017, 01:27:03 pm
This is so opposite of Monk situation it's not even funny.

For one we have had a struggling program that hit such depths that there were players leaving mid year.  Finished at the bottom of the conference and just fired the coach.

No one in there right mind would blame this kid for not having Arkansas in her top 5 when we don't even have a coach.

There was an element of stringing along in the Monk case.  There was also an established coach who had just gone to the NCAA's and sent one player to the NBA and possibly two if Qualls had not gotten hurt.

Don't even try to play that game.

Correct except for one thing. There was not simply a "little element" of stringing along by the Monks. It was "complete and full fledged".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bobetty

meanwhile, Miss Williams recently lost to Berryville in the state tournament.   Hmmm.

hogman64

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 14, 2017, 01:11:42 pm
What? She might decide to spend the rest of her life after college in Arkansas. she owe the UA nothing as a recruit. Coaching changes make things happen both good and bad sometimes.

I didn't say she "owed " anything...All the reasons for her not to commit to play ball at the U of A are valid.  We just see things differently I would  see it as a level of respect for the state for her to list the U of A in  a group of 5 or 7, even if she told the coach.... "  I am keeping you on the list but just so you know, I wont be playing there"....Just the way I would  want my daughter to do it, if in that position.....

psycHOGlogist

Well, we WERE in top 8 and then in her top 7.

hogman64

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 16, 2017, 08:35:38 am
Well, we WERE in top 8 and then in her top 7.

so we got that going for us, which is nice.

logic

It was fun to dream.
Can you blame her for wanting to play for a winning team that has a large number of fans that go the the games? It doesn't  matter who Arkansas hires as the next head coach because he or she will not be able to win since elite players will not sign  with the lady razorbacks. Elite players, even if from Arkansas, have much better choices than playing for a losing team that has less than 1,000 fans going the games.