Should have never been hired in the first place
27 (31.4%)
What does Wally know about the situation
10 (11.6%)
AYFSM? Next year could have been worse
9 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Dwight_K_Shrute

Personally thought Wally's opinion was based on generalities that might apply to any coach needing more time and not this specific situation. I don't think he realizes what shape the program was in off the court, and is just sympathetic to a guy he likes.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Boarcephus

Wally touched on something in his article which I think plays a more significant role in his firing other than just wins and loses, boosters.  When he backed his players right to protest he alienated a major player of two who supported the Ladybacks and it is their right to withhold financial support to the program as much as it was the players right to protest.  One thing we know about Long is it's all about the cash flow for him and Jimmy picked the wrong side to support and it cost him his job, just as it did the coaches at Minnesota and Missouri.  Just my .02. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

March 07, 2017, 09:21:34 am #2 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:39:04 am by ricepig
Quote from: Boarcephus on March 07, 2017, 08:59:11 am
Wally touched on something in his article which I think plays a more significant role in his firing other than just wins and loses, boosters.  When he backed his players right to protest he alienated a major player of two who supported the Ladybacks and it is their right to withhold financial support to the program as much as it was the players right to protest.  One thing we know about Long is it's all about the cash flow for him and Jimmy picked the wrong side to support and it cost him his job, just as it did the coaches at Minnesota and Missouri.  Just my .02. 

While I think that played a small part in it, the W/L's and not enough players for a roster, were probably bigger deterrents. Wally wrote the article because Joe promised him a meal at Corky's, that's how Wally works. Wally couldn't have named you two players on the team before the season, if that.

Rocket23

He is also good friends with Joe Klein who was very vocal about Jimmy's firing.  Waiting another year or two would have put us in an even deeper hole.  Some people just aren't cut out to be head coaches.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 09:21:34 am
While I thing that played a small part in it, the W/L's and not enough players for a roster, were probably bigger deterrents. Wally wrote the article because Joe promised him a meal at Corky's, that's how Wally works. Wally couldn't have named you two players on the team before the season, if that.

The JK connection is what struck me the moment I read the column.  A truly uninformed opinion piece. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogtied85

I agree with Jimmy Dykes being fired but to hold someone and the university hostage for their God given rights is a crying shame. What they did is not a crime nor should it be. Now to say I will withdraw scholarship money from a group of young ladies because they see the world differently that you do is ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself. Because what you're saying is that in order to receive this money you have to forfeit your rights as a citizen. No where in the bill of rights or Constitution does it say I have to stand up and give honor. This is a man made thing anyway and most folks don't even know the significance of standing and saluting anyway. "With liberty and justice for all" give me a break. I'm not racist nor am I prejudice; its just a simple observation. No matter what side of the coin your on. You have to admit there is something wrong with unjustified killings in America white or black. I for one love all people and people should be allowed to express how they feel about things. If the University of Arkansas and donors had an issue with players kneeling then the school should put it in the bylaws; but they can't; why? Because it's illegal. Doing something like that would put the school in so many civil right violations and lawsuits. If you choose to not support the U of A with your money then that's your right but remember if you donating money give it freely. without stipulation. After all isn't the purpose for monetary donations for Athletics and someone personal beliefs and political stand point.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 07, 2017, 08:30:51 am
Personally thought Wally's opinion was based on generalities that might apply to any coach needing more time and not this specific situation. I don't think he realizes what shape the program was in off the court, and is just sympathetic to a guy he likes.

There is literally no other possible explanation. Wally is a dim-bulb who knows absolutely nothing about the state of the WBB program on the Hill. See also: Joe Kleine.

psycHOGlogist

Jimmy was not fired because of the kneeling. He just wasn't. If the program were winning, not bleeding players, recruiting well, not alienating coaches, not losing games due to inept coaching, Jimmy would have a job, kneeling or not.

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 09:21:34 am
While I think that played a small part in it, the W/L's and not enough players for a roster, were probably bigger deterrents. Wally wrote the article because Joe promised him a meal at Corky's, that's how Wally works. Wally couldn't have named you two players on the team before the season, if that.

This. Absolutely this.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 07, 2017, 10:19:53 am
Jimmy was not fired because of the kneeling. He just wasn't. If the program were winning, not bleeding players, recruiting well, not alienating coaches, not losing games due to inept coaching, Jimmy would have a job, kneeling or not.

This. Absolutely this.

YES YES and YES. What he said

DeltaBoy

This is what I believed happened.  He shot himself in the foot.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BWS

Wally Hall's article sounded like someone who had no idea what was going on within the program, other than the kneel controversy.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 07, 2017, 09:54:35 am
Because it's illegal. Doing something like that would put the school in so many civil right violations and lawsuits. If you choose to not support the U of A with your money then that's your right but remember if you donating money give it freely. without stipulation. After all isn't the purpose for monetary donations for Athletics and someone personal beliefs and political stand point.

Just like all the countries donating money to the Clinton Foundation did so for the sole purpose of helping the needy with nothing expected in return?  You're entitled to your belief but I feel that in this state, at this time, the protests ruffled some feathers and a couple registered their dissatisfaction with the powers that be. 

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pancetta

Jimmy got fired because he proved to be a poor leader.  The players didn't buy in, the coaches didn't buy in, recruits stopped considering us as a possible destination.  Now it's up to Jimmy to decide what he's going to do about it.  He can be humble and realize that failure isn't in of itself a terrible thing, as long as you are willing to own up to it and learn from it. 
He can use this experience to grow as a person and as a leader regardless of whether he goes back into coaching or broadcasting or business. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

John Snow

A lot people who kept up with Woman's ball were unhappy with Jimmy Dykes after year 2 with rumors of Jimmy Dykes trying to force his Evangelical Christian beliefs down his  players throats like not allowing his black players to be able to play hip hop music and his wife teaching them to look more like a lady . The rumors of players wanting to leave became true the next year we all knew JD was done for the way he treat his players and coaches.The only reason he let his players kneel was in effort to keep them from wanting to transfer and it backfired.

ricepig

Quote from: Pancetta on March 07, 2017, 12:29:22 pm
Jimmy got fired because he proved to be a poor leader.  The players didn't buy in, the coaches didn't buy in, recruits stopped considering us as a possible destination.  Now it's up to Jimmy to decide what he's going to do about it.  He can be humble and realize that failure isn't in of itself a terrible thing, as long as you are willing to own up to it and learn from it. 
He can use this experience to grow as a person and as a leader regardless of whether he goes back into coaching or broadcasting or business. 

Bad time to be going back into the broadcasting business with ESPN cutting $250M in on-air talent.

farfromgroovins

What surprises me the most about all this is that this many people read Wally Hall.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Boarcephus

Quote from: John Snow on March 07, 2017, 12:34:44 pm
A lot people who kept up with Woman's ball were unhappy with Jimmy Dykes after year 2 with rumors of Jimmy Dykes trying to force his Evangelical Christian beliefs down his  players throats like not allowing his black players to be able to play hip hop music and his wife teaching them to look more like a lady . The rumors of players wanting to leave became true the next year we all knew JD was done for the way he treat his players and coaches.The only reason he let his players kneel was in effort to keep them from wanting to transfer and it backfired.

I've heard basically the same thing.  What I was told he tried to play "tough guy" with them and it didn't fly.  You take into account his relationships with the players, the kneeling and the record, he was expendable.   I think what surprised me the most was his being hired in the first place. 

snoblind

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 07, 2017, 10:19:53 am

This. Absolutely this.

Sorry, man.  You're wrong.  Guv is over in Jump Ball supporting Wally and Joe's position and saying it's all about the kneeling.  Must be interesting to live in GuvWorld.

:)

pigture perfect

I know I lost interest in the program over the kneeling incident. I don't think I'm the only one. I don't think it was because he was an evangelical Christian either. It was also the wins and losses. In short, he was the poster child for being in over his head.

I do miss him as an pbp man though. Hope fully ESPN will take him back.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 07, 2017, 01:05:44 pm
What surprises me the most about all this is that this many people read Wally Hall.
One has to understand that his column makes a wonderful "poop pad" for a bird cage.

Porked Tongue

Joke.  Fluff piece where he talks 10 paragraphs about nothing then slips in a play to back his buddy Joe.

Must be a quota he has to meet on telling you his friends are.

To that one single point he makes, experiments off the page like that one should get LESS time.  There's nothing to hang your hat on with JD.  No prior success and a program down by every measurable.

Bonehead

Wally Hall need to retire he don't know anything about what went on. Slot of things went on that the media know nothing about ,far as Joe Kleine he can't coach either, Dykes was fired because none of his player's wanted to play for him. He should never been hired the first place. Jimmy Dykes was full of darn!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 02:47:07 pm
Sorry, man.  You're wrong.  Guv is over in Jump Ball supporting Wally and Joe's position and saying it's all about the kneeling.  Must be interesting to live in GuvWorld.

:)

Serious question - who tf is Guv? Clearly, s/he doesn't know what he's talking about, even a little.

ricepig

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 07, 2017, 06:44:38 pm
Serious question - who tf is Guv? Clearly, s/he doesn't know what he's talking about, even a little.
Oh my, if you haven't been Guv'd in a thread, you haven't enjoyed the true ambience of HV.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 06:59:55 pm
Oh my, if you haven't been Guv'd in a thread, you haven't enjoyed the true ambience of HV.

Ah, I only hang out over here, so I guess I'm still an innocent. ;-)

snoblind

Rice and I are going to tell him you are over here saying he's wrong.  Get ready, man.  And Rice is correct, you've been missing a special HV treat.  Guv logic is well, special.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 10:15:28 pm
Rice and I are going to tell him you are over here saying he's wrong.  Get ready, man.  And Rice is correct, you've been missing a special HV treat.  Guv logic is well, special.

Are Guv and Wally related?

snoblind

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 07, 2017, 10:19:44 pm
Are Guv and Wally related?

Not that I know.  Folks that have met Guv say he is a nice guy.  Lives around Pine Bluff.  Was a funeral director, took disability at some point.  In his 60's, I think.

hogman64

Wally Hall wrote the article for Joe Kleine...... he knows nothing of womens basketball  for that matter he doesn't even know anything about razorback baseball....Dykes knew his players had no respect for him and the only way he could play the kneeling was go along with it.   A strong  respected coach would have had the ability to never let it happen.

Inhogswetrust

March 08, 2017, 06:15:24 am #30 Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:41:23 am by Inhogswetrust
I agree with Jimmy Dykes being fired but to hold someone and the university hostage for their God given rights is a crying shame. What they did is not a crime nor should it be. Now to say I will withdraw scholarship money from a group of young ladies because they see the world differently that you do is ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself. Because what you're saying is that in order to receive this money you have to forfeit your rights as a citizen. No where in the bill of rights or Constitution does it say I have to stand up and give honor. This is a man made thing anyway and most folks don't even know the significance of standing and saluting anyway. "With liberty and justice for all" give me a break. I'm not racist nor am I prejudice; its just a simple observation. No matter what side of the coin your on. You have to admit there is something wrong with unjustified killings in America white or black. I for one love all people and people should be allowed to express how they feel about things. If the University of Arkansas and donors had an issue with players kneeling then the school should put it in the bylaws; but they can't; why? Because it's illegal. Doing something like that would put the school in so many civil right violations and lawsuits. If you choose to not support the U of A with your money then that's your right but remember if you donating money give it freely. without stipulation. After all isn't the purpose for monetary donations for Athletics and someone personal beliefs and political stand point.

The biggest piece of bull durn yet this year on here perhaps......................Just because actions are not a crime doesn't mean there might not be consequences to those actions. People get fired all the time for stuff that isn't a crime. I give to the athletic department. I also expect a certain amount of decorum and behavior from the players and coaches that represent MY Alma Mater while IN uniform for that money. It's not about how someone sees the world. Boosters are not stupid. They know players and coaches might not see the world exactly the same as they do. They also know players and coaches might not act as they would in all situations. They have every right to expect a certain behavior for the privilege of those to receive that money especially while in uniform or during the event. IF someone gives money to a organization they have a right to have stipulations. There is always people that give money to organizations or causes that decide later to withdraw their support. It's always comical and dumb for someone to try to tell others what and HOW they should use their money.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogman64

Very strange perspective and one full of holes.............

Boarcephus

March 08, 2017, 07:43:28 am #32 Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:54:18 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 08, 2017, 06:15:24 am
The biggest piece of bull durn yet this year on here perhaps......................Just because actions are not a crime doesn't mean there might not be consequences to those actions. People get fired all the time for stuff that isn't a crime. I give to the athletic department. I also expect a certain amount of decorum and behavior from the players and coaches that represent MY Alma Mater while IN uniform for that money. It's not about how someone sees the world. Boosters are not stupid. They know players and coaches might not see the world exactly the same as they do. They also know players and coaches might not act as they would in all situations. They have every right to expect a certain behavior for the privilege of those to receive that money. IF someone gives money to a organization they have a right to have stipulations. There is always people that give money to organizations or causes that decide later to withdraw their support. It's always comical and dumb for someone to try to tell others what and HOW they should use their money.

Yes it was and very well put.  When it comes donations, there are certain groups people give money to out of the goodness of their hearts, like the ASPCA, the Humane Society, Salvation Army, their Church, etc and they do so without stipulation on how the money is spent.  Now if they find out it's being abused, like the pastor living in a $10 million home, they can pull their funds but when it comes to college athletics and gov't donations, these big players are expecting to buy influence and if you think they aren't, you're kidding yourself.  You might be able to convince me otherwise, don't think so but you can try, but I firmly believe that the big donors had a huge role in getting Pinkel and Dykes fired and if you want further proof of the power of the donors you don't have to look any further than the Minnesota coach because they had a good year and were bowl bound. 

hog63

I would guess that Wally Hall never came to one WBB game while JD was the coach.

LadybackBBFan

How about he never deserved the three years he got.  Who was the worse - Dykes or Gardner?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 07, 2017, 08:30:51 am

I do not think Wally really kept up with Lady's BB but just based his opinion on Jimmy only having 3 years.  But from the fans I really respect this program was getting worse and not better so more time meant it would be worse next spring than this spring.  Even though Jimmy has signed a few really good players he seems to lose some of his older players for what ever reason which leads to us playing younger players before they are ready. 

I think Long did what he thought was best for the program.  I am sure he had all the material needed to make this decision and did not come in half cocked.

PonderinHog

This is awesome!  You just perfectly described Guv without knowing who he is!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 09, 2017, 08:07:34 am
How about he never deserved the three years he got.  Who was the worse - Dykes or Gardner?

This is a very good question. I suppose we'll have to see. Sad that it's even up for debate.

logic

Although I agree that the kneeling was their right and that only narrow minded people would be upset.  Nevertheless, anyone with money has the  right to spend or donate it to whatever cause they choose. Whether or not they are narrow minded or making poor choices in where, how, or if they donate money is beside the point.

Vantage 8 dude

Based merely on the team's record and apparent discord (for whatever reason(s)) I think the decision letting Dykes go was totally justified. In watching the number of defections and the miserable play, especially in the back half of the season, letting him stay another year was likely only going to prolong the agony. Time to go with someone who actually has some coaching, especially women's, experience.

Boarcephus

Quote from: logic on March 09, 2017, 10:01:45 pm
Although I agree that the kneeling was their right and that only narrow minded people would be upset.  Nevertheless, anyone with money has the  right to spend or donate it to whatever cause they choose. Whether or not they are narrow minded or making poor choices in where, how, or if they donate money is beside the point.

After reading this I get the impression that your definition of narrow-mindedness is anyone who disagrees with your point of view. 

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 10, 2017, 05:09:45 pm
After reading this I get the impression that your definition of narrow-mindedness is anyone who disagrees with your point of view. 
You are missing the point on how kneeling impacts many people.  A lot of people, especially older boosters, have family members including themselves who fought for the flag and some died for the flag.  I am one who has had family members who fought for the flag and died for the flag.  Disrespecting the flag is not something that I can accept.
In addition many people have members of the police force who we respect.  We know what this country would be like without policeman - who were being protested by the kneeling.  I had two brothers who were policemen.  How many people who you know do not know or have a policeman in their life in someway?

tophawg19

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 11, 2017, 08:58:51 am
You are missing the point on how kneeling impacts many people.  A lot of people, especially older boosters, have family members including themselves who fought for the flag and some died for the flag.  I am one who has had family members who fought for the flag and died for the flag.  Disrespecting the flag is not something that I can accept.
In addition many people have members of the police force who we respect.  We know what this country would be like without policeman - who were being protested by the kneeling.  I had two brothers who were policemen.  How many people who you know do not know or have a policeman in their life in someway?
I agree with this . And like most others , if I do something that reflects negatively on my company then I would be fired . Kneeling cast a negative light on the program and turned away Patriotic fans . When you do something that costs money , a scholarship could be pulled . This has nothing to do with Legal or Civil rights but a violation of conduct policy. Any conduct damaging to the team in anyway or bringing bad publicity can cost loss of scholarship. Just like Arkansas is a right to work state and you can be fired for whatever reason they chose or no reason .A scholarship is a gift and privilege not a right .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HognitiveDissonance

The 'kneelers' put  both Dykes and Long in a no-win situation.
Obviously, it's America and they can 'protest' all they want. Free country.
If you crack down on that, you lose half the team, if they weren't already lost.
If you allow it, you lose some of the fan support.

Can't win there.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 07, 2017, 01:05:44 pm
Because there are people like me who will read everything...good or bad, agree or disagree.
I don't think Wally is a great writer, but it's in the paper each day, and I will usually skim through it.
But yes, Wally lost me long ago for pettiness, cronyism, overly defensive about the media, etc.
Hard to believe he's in the Hall of Fame. But that's another thing. Do they let just about anyone in the Hall of Fame? You have obvious choices like McFadden, Jerry Jones, Willie Roaf, etc on and on. Household names. But then they admit 3/4 of the class each year to people you've never heard of. I'm sure they are legends in someone's mind, but if the average person would struggle to identify them, maybe they shouldn't be in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. Just my .02. It's become a very diluted place, which hurts the truly deserving.

Boarcephus

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 11, 2017, 08:58:51 am

I don't feel I'm missing the point because you and I are in complete agreement on this.