Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once and for all on Jimmy(Officially Gone Now)

Started by Porked Tongue, March 02, 2017, 10:33:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BWS

There's no doubt in my mind who's number one on JL's list. The questions are will they still be interested in the job and would the UA be willing to pony up the money to get them, who's asking price will probably be within the $800,000 - $1,000,000 range.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: BWS on March 03, 2017, 06:27:13 pm
There's no doubt in my mind who's number one on JL's list. The questions are will they still be interested in the job and would the UA be willing to pony up the money to get them, who's asking price will probably be within the $800,000 - $1,000,000 range.

Love fact people post this yet no names given. Paper will give names, but no one one here will give any.  What's the big secret

savimbi2002

Sykes lost me when he let the players take control of the program. National anthem shenanigans was a major, fatal embarrassment. Bye,bye, DA

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Bonehead on March 03, 2017, 05:13:17 pm
I told you so yesterday

Thank you Bonehead, I appreciate you being a good man and listening. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Hogtied85

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 03, 2017, 09:24:01 pm
Thank you Bonehead, I appreciate you being a good man and listening.

By the looks of it. Our target might be Coach Neighbors. All two assistant coaches are now following him. But I will say that I am not sure if they weren't already following him.

Bonehead

Scott7703

Quote from: Bonehead on March 03, 2017, 09:54:39 pm
I think they are going after Vic Shaefer

Does this hire salvage the roster? What are the chances the right coach could get Freeman back?

psycHOGlogist

The targets are most likely Schaefer and Neighbors. Both have ties to Ark. Schaefer has a new AD this year, as Stricklin left to take the UF job. Starkville sucks, and a sane person would be happy to get out of there. He and his staff have ties to Arkansas.

Neighbors is an alum and has family in the Fayetteville area. I just don't know which is Plan A and which is Plan B. Both will be pretty expensive, but if we want Schaefer, we are going to have to pay the man. He currently makes over 650K in salary alone, plus whatever income he might generate from endorsements and camps. Neighbors makes less, but we'll still have to pony up to get him.

To all those nay-sayers who said Long would admit he made a mistake and get rid of Dykes -- maybe lighten up a little?

Bonehead

Freeman is going back to Georgia, she will not be back

Bonehead

Wilson probably 90% chance she's gone they won't get a release until after new coach is named.

John Snow

Why not consider a great coach in your own backyard with UALR coach Joe Foley a proven winner  and familiar with Arkansas high school basketball.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Bonehead on March 03, 2017, 10:28:32 pm
Freeman is going back to Georgia, she will not be back

Take a look at her twitter - she's checked out. Wish her well.

ThreeLittlePigs

Does Sytia Messer have a shot? Her resume has to make her a viable candidate.

psycHOGlogist

She's not of the caliber of Schaeffer or Neighbors, but if they start looking at assistants you have to believe that they'd at least gauge her interest in leaving Baylor.

Bonehead

Messer applied last time. once again listen to me it's Vic Shaefer job if he want's it

snoblind

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Bonehead on March 04, 2017, 01:28:51 am
Messer applied last time. once again listen to me it's Vic Shaefer job if he want's it

Vic recently spoke in LR and talked about how much he wanted the job when Blair left and how upset his wife was when he didn't get it.

Could work for or against landing him. Also as bad as people think Starkville is, it is a nice little college town. There is more going on there than you think. Welcoming vibe, good restaurants, sense of community. I lived there for 10 years. Wouldn't be surprised if his family is very happy there.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Scott7703

Quote from: Bonehead on March 03, 2017, 10:31:21 pm
Wilson probably 90% chance she's gone they won't get a release until after new coach is named.

Hate to hear that about freeman being a done deal. Hope the new coach can hang onto Wilson. Major talent

LadybackBBFan

I would prefer Schafer over Neighbors, but Schafer is a Texas A&M Alum.  I would think he would go back to Texas A&M as Gary has to be near retirement - at least I would think so.  I almost went down and talked to him last night about his dream job being open - just to see his reaction.  I wish I had.

Mr. Porkleone

tophawg19

i agree with a couple others , joe Foley should get a long look . When a coach can win conference titles with those disadvantages , then he can coach and recruit well. Fayetteville would be like Heaven to him
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kaki

Does anyone else think that Vic's age, think I saw he is 57 is less desirable for program stability?  He has done a great job at Starkville, so it is nothing against his coaching ability, but since Blair, this will be our fourth hire.  Hopefully we can get a program builder and sustainer.

Scott7703

Quote from: kaki on March 04, 2017, 08:31:37 am
Does anyone else think that Vic's age, think I saw he is 57 is less desirable for program stability?  He has done a great job at Starkville, so it is nothing against his coaching ability, but since Blair, this will be our fourth hire.  Hopefully we can get a program builder and sustainer.

Not me. Only way I wouldn't hire him is of he came out and said he'd head to a&m if given the chance which he wouldn't say.

Inhogswetrust

March 04, 2017, 09:13:42 am #73 Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:26:43 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 02, 2017, 10:33:56 am
I was surprised when JD got hired.  I wouldn't have done it but I did support it.  When you step out of the box like that, you need some checks and balances in place.  Essentially, JD didn't know squat about actual basketball coaching and especially coaching the women's game.

In order to get around that, he needed quality assistants to guide him through.  They set him up for that but it didn't work due to his ego.  He wouldn't listen to them and treated them like plebs. Eventually the main assistants moved on and he backfilled with yes men including an assistant that had never coached girls. 

Other coaches routinely beat us down the stretch of games with their experience.  What experience we had is gone.  The only success he had was with inherited seniors who won despite him.  In what was a warning sign of things to come, he clashed HARD and alienated the best players he had that first year.  He doesn't want to learn.  He doesn't want to develop properly.  He just wants to be in charge.  100% in charge. 

Eventually, we eroded in our ability to get talented newcomers and holding on to the ones we have.  The kneeling fiasco was just another sign but one that rang the bell for those not really paying attention.  Since then, the strong base fans that have come and supported for years started to turn away.  They skipped the weekly luncheons and started skipping games.  We're talking long term supporters! Some are now promising not to donate until they see change.  Those people are the backbone of the support and they are disinterested.

JD has got a helluva free pass.  Most games are hardly covered by media and his exposure to it is minimal.  The last home game we only had one reporter there.  The UA submits their own story on away games and often without a quote from JD. He does have his weekly pressor but that's about it.  Probably a good thing as he tends to toss his kids under the bus after a close loss.  Which happens often.

He essentially runs his own press conferences.  He was approached, and admitted, they are trying to find him a clean exit and he's balked at every scenario.

Few players.
Few fans.
No interest.
Small roster.
No real successful recruiting.
No future.

No COACHING.

Bye Jimmy.

It wasn't ego as much as stubbornness. Jimmy has two things that are most important in his life, his faith and family. Those are good things, especially the family part. I'm not religious at all but jimmy is very much so. That being said he's not perfect and his dogmatic faith can be construed as unyielding and stubborn. His faith lends itself to him being "my way is the only way" kind of guy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porked Tongue

Age shouldn't be a factor here.  Obviously really old is not desireable but the main thrust should on getting a proven women's head coach.

That come come from many directions.

Just can't go with a gimmick.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 04, 2017, 09:13:42 am
It wasn't ego as much as stubbornness. Jimmy and he has two things that are most important in his life, his faith and family. That being said he's not perfect and his dogmatic faith can be construed as unyielding and stubborn. His faith lends itself to him being "my way is the only way" kind of guy.

All that might be true, but he's a dick.

Inhogswetrust

March 04, 2017, 09:22:22 am #76 Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:41:27 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 04, 2017, 07:06:20 am
Vic recently spoke in LR and talked about how much he wanted the job when Blair left and how upset his wife was when he didn't get it.

Could work for or against landing him. Also as bad as people think Starkville is, it is a nice little college town. There is more going on there than you think. Welcoming vibe, good restaurants, sense of community. I lived there for 10 years. Wouldn't be surprised if his family is very happy there.

I don't dislike Starkville but would not want to live there one year much less ten. I also think Vic or Mike would both be good hires at least looking at their Resume's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 04, 2017, 09:15:22 am
All that might be true, but he's a dick.

Only to those that don't like him. He is not a social type person. He can be very guarded and that might make some think he is as you think. He truly cares about others but can sometimes not be able to show it in a way others would believe it.

MoHog74

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 04, 2017, 09:24:56 am
Only to those that don't like him. He is not a social type person. He can be very guarded and that might make some think he is as you think. He truly cares about others but can sometimes not be able to show it in a way others would believe it.

At one of the early WBB luncheons, the drawing was for a Jimmy Dykes autographed basketball.  What you say may be true, but it sure appeared that he certainly wasn't short on ego.  An Uncle Henry's hog hat would have been a much better prize.   :)

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 04, 2017, 09:24:56 am

I am certain that his former players and former assistant coaches have a different take.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 04, 2017, 12:01:27 pm
I am certain that his former players and former assistant coaches have a different take.

What part about my point about him "sometimes not being able to show it in a way other's would believe it" did you not understand. I'd bet some former players and assistant coaches for ALL head coaches feel the same. NOBODY is liked or respected by everyone. Coaching is a job that you will make enemies in. I've known Jimmy since college and there are things about him I don't like and I'm sure there are things about me he doesn't like. True of everyone in all relationships in life.

psycHOGlogist

No need to get your knickers in a twist. My point is simply that your opinion is not universal, and you don't get to say what's true about his personality. I appreciate your sharing your perspective from having known him so long.

Inhogswetrust

March 05, 2017, 07:51:12 am #82 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:46:12 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 04, 2017, 09:12:33 pm
No need to get your knickers in a twist. My point is simply that your opinion is not universal, and you don't get to say what's true about his personality. I appreciate your sharing your perspective from having known him so long.

The stuff I posted has to do with his personalty and knowing him for so long. Therefore my opinion carries the weight of long term experience. To call someone a dick without backing it up and say WHY that is the case is simply trolling. He's not God but he isn't the devil either. But he does have specific and rather unyielding views of the world and how life should be lived. Most people as dogmatic about their faith as he is are that way. Nothing wrong with that as long as they respect the rights of others that disagree, even if they have difficulty showing it. Sure I wanted him to be successful as the Hog coach. We all did. However I did have reservations about him being able to do so knowing him as I do but he was hired and deserved his chance. It didn't work out so everyone can move on. I'll tell you this he WILL want his replacement to succeed because he loves the whole school and program. A lot of people fired by their Alma Mater will always love it and support it in some way and want it to be successful. That doesn't mean they will like the person that runs the department or everyone in it at any specific point in time.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 05, 2017, 07:51:12 am
The stuff I posted has to do with his personalty and knowing him for so long. Therefore my opinion carries the weight of long term experience. To call someone a dick without backing it up and say WHY that is the case is simply trolling. He's not God but he isn't the devil either. But he does have specific and rather unyielding views of the world and how anything in life should be lived. Most people as dogmatic about their faith as he is is that way. Nothing wrong with that as long as they respect the rights of others even if they have difficulty showing it. Sure I wanted him to be successful as the hog coach. We all did. however I did have reservations about him being able to do so but he was hired and deserved his chance. It didn't work out so everyone can move on. I'l tell you this he WILL want his replacement to succeed because he loves the whole school and program. A lot of people fired by their Alma Mater will always love it and support it in some way and want it to be successful. That doesn't mea they will like the person that runs the department at any specific point in time.

So do I (have rather unyielding views on truth and the way life-my life especially- ought to be lived).  However, there is your witness and your example that ought to tell your tale, not your rigidness.  Some people never get that message.  A lot of people are imperfect, even less than me, you build those people you nurture them, you take them where they are at and with kindness you raise them.  Now on the other hand as a coach I expect a lot (and still I don't expect you to be perfect, just controlled and giving it your all, all the time).  I expect you to make the team more important than yourself.  If I expect that, doesn't it start with me?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

PonderinHog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 05, 2017, 08:26:30 am
So do I (have rather unyielding views on truth and the way life-my life especially- ought to be lived).  However, there is your witness and your example that ought to tell your tale, not your rigidness.  Some people never get that message.  A lot of people are imperfect, even less than me, you build those people you nurture them, you take them where they are at and with kindness you raise them.  Now on the other hand as a coach I expect a lot (and still I don't expect you to be perfect, just controlled and giving it your all, all the time).  I expect you to make the team more important than yourself.  If I expect that, doesn't it start with me?
Are you saying you can catch more flies with sugar than you can with salt?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 09, 2017, 09:15:03 am
Are you saying you can catch more flies with sugar than you can with salt?

No but my mother used to say that!