Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once and for all on Jimmy(Officially Gone Now)

Started by Porked Tongue, March 02, 2017, 10:33:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

March 02, 2017, 10:33:56 am Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:24:06 pm by Porked Tongue
I was surprised when JD got hired.  I wouldn't have done it but I did support it.  When you step out of the box like that, you need some checks and balances in place.  Essentially, JD didn't know squat about actual basketball coaching and especially coaching the women's game.

In order to get around that, he needed quality assistants to guide him through.  They set him up for that but it didn't work due to his ego.  He wouldn't listen to them and treated them like plebs. Eventually the main assistants moved on and he backfilled with yes men including an assistant that had never coached girls. 

Other coaches routinely beat us down the stretch of games with their experience.  What experience we had is gone.  The only success he had was with inherited seniors who won despite him.  In what was a warning sign of things to come, he clashed HARD and alienated the best players he had that first year.  He doesn't want to learn.  He doesn't want to develop properly.  He just wants to be in charge.  100% in charge. 

Eventually, we eroded in our ability to get talented newcomers and holding on to the ones we have.  The kneeling fiasco was just another sign but one that rang the bell for those not really paying attention.  Since then, the strong base fans that have come and supported for years started to turn away.  They skipped the weekly luncheons and started skipping games.  We're talking long term supporters! Some are now promising not to donate until they see change.  Those people are the backbone of the support and they are disinterested.

JD has got a helluva free pass.  Most games are hardly covered by media and his exposure to it is minimal.  The last home game we only had one reporter there.  The UA submits their own story on away games and often without a quote from JD. He does have his weekly pressor but that's about it.  Probably a good thing as he tends to toss his kids under the bus after a close loss.  Which happens often.

He essentially runs his own press conferences.  He was approached, and admitted, they are trying to find him a clean exit and he's balked at every scenario.

Few players.
Few fans.
No interest.
Small roster.
No real successful recruiting.
No future.

No COACHING.

Bye Jimmy.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawg1221

Jimmy Dykes may be a good man, but he dropped the ball on this coaching gig. The way people perceive him from now on will be different.

logic

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 02, 2017, 10:33:56 am
Bye Jimmy.
I  agree that JD's ego doesn't allow him to take advice  from assistants. However, does Jeff Long's ego allow him to listen to advice from anyone, including fans? It took JL 7 years to fire Tom Collen.  And, in 6 of those 7 years Arkansas lost the first round of the SEC tournament and also didn't play in the NCAA tournament.

Hogtied85

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2017, 11:12:18 am
He gone.

Where is the press release???

If he is not gone, I would hate for you to have egg on your face.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 02, 2017, 12:55:53 pm
Where is the press release???

If he is not gone, I would hate for you to have egg on your face.

Just a prognostication.  Here is what I do know.  He is a horrible coach.  Program in a shambles on and off the court.  He was a tweeting machine.  From January 1 to Feb 16 he had approximately 100 tweets or RTs.  That's an average of 2 to 3 times per day.  In the last two weeks he has tweeted once, that was a RT on 2/28.  I observed a similar pattern of behavior with one Rory Segrest long before his actual separation was announced. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogtied85

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2017, 01:09:20 pm
Just a prognostication.  Here is what I do know.  He is a horrible coach.  Program in a shambles on and off the court.  He was a tweeting machine.  From January 1 to Feb 16 he had approximately 100 tweets or RTs.  That's an average of 2 to 3 times per day.  In the last two weeks he has tweeted once, that was a RT on 2/28.  I observed a similar pattern of behavior with one Rory Segrest long before his actual separation was announced.

I for one hope that you are right....

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 02, 2017, 11:14:17 am
Jimmy Dykes may be a good man, but he dropped the ball on this coaching gig. The way people perceive him from now on will be different.

what makes someone "a good man"? Asking for a friend.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 02, 2017, 01:52:12 pm
To some it means he goes to Cross Church aka Shiloh.

Scott7703

You think he gets another year Porked?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hogtied85

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 02, 2017, 02:17:24 pm
You think he gets another year Porked?

According to twitter he is on the road recruiting. SMH

ricepig

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 02, 2017, 02:47:55 pm

Jeff told him to get out there and get a roster for next year, he's coming back.

hawg1221

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 02, 2017, 01:52:12 pm

I personally don't know, hence the use of "may be". I just remember many posters when he was first hired claiming he was.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 02, 2017, 02:47:55 pm

He's in Van Buren watching the 7A tourney.  Yeah he's burning it up an criss crossing the map.  He's doing what I would expect until he is told to hit the bricks. 

Hogtied85

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2017, 02:56:59 pm
He's in Van Buren watching the 7A tourney.  Yeah he's burning it up an criss crossing the map.  He's doing what I would expect until he is told to hit the bricks.

I just don't see the value. A lot of people are telling me he is getting another year because of his buyout.. I am confused...Because when Collen lost he was fired immediately..Someone just told that he is to well liked to be fired....Please shade light on this

Bonehead

Tom Collen had 3yr's and they bought him out. Trust me he is not out of the woods. It's not about how well you are liked, when the parents, Fan's, media get to hammering the athletic director he look's for a way out. Kid's aren't even visiting

psycHOGlogist

A program's best recruiters are its student athletes.

How do you think the U of A looks to recruits right about now?

Bonehead

What kind of kid want to play for a coach, that tell them what kind of music to listen to.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Bonehead on March 02, 2017, 04:58:58 pm
What kind of kid want to play for a coach, that tell them what kind of music to listen to.

For real? Gag.

"Be Arkansas!!!*"

*Comes with complete collection of Carpenters CD's and the complete Sandi Patty Box Set.

Hogtied85

Quote from: Bonehead on March 02, 2017, 04:58:58 pm

I wonder when the axe will fall.

flippinhogmana

look for either a presser or a leak tomorrow and if it goes down, dont be surprised by a quick and highly acclaimed hire.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Hogtied85

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 02, 2017, 11:10:19 pm
look for either a presser or a leak tomorrow and if it goes down, dont be surprised by a quick and highly acclaimed hire.

So he's really really gone????

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 02, 2017, 11:12:38 pm
So he's really really gone????

For goodness sake, should he not be?

Of all I have heard negative about it being hard to recruit here, I think that is a load of bunk.  A good coach, a good recruiter still has players to start with.  I think a good coach could even change the mind of about four players, but that remains to be seen.  I guarantee you that if it isn't a done deal (both the departure and the hire) quickly; next year will be sad to watch.  But if it is, I wouldn't be surprised to find next year actually better than this year.  Okay, go ahead and call me crazy, but for me, it couldn't get any worse so an upside is entirely possible.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

If/when there is a change, you'll have to look at several scenarios:

1) Would the coaching change make any of the players who are currently planning to leave want to stay? (No idea)

2) Would the coaching change make any of the players who are NOT currently planning to leave change their minds and want to leave? (Always a possibility)

3). Would our 2017 signees ask for NLI releases after a change?

4) Would our 2018 commit reopen her recruitment?

5) Would the new coach -- presuming s/he is currently a HC -- bring any of his/her commits to Arkansas?

6) Would the new coach have better luck obtaining late 2017 commits than Dykes and his staff were having?

All of these (except #4, I guess) could have a significant impact on what Arkansas can put on the floor next year.

From where I sit, it can't be too much worse than what will happen without a change. Bring the new coach in and let him/her start from scratch. If it's a good coach/recruiter like flippin suggests, it could be three years before we're back to being competitive, but it'd be worth it.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 03, 2017, 12:27:42 am
If/when there is a change, you'll have to look at several scenarios:

1) Would the coaching change make any of the players who are currently planning to leave want to stay? (No idea)

2) Would the coaching change make any of the players who are NOT currently planning to leave change their minds and want to leave? (Always a possibility)

3). Would our 2017 signees ask for NLI releases after a change?

4) Would our 2018 commit reopen her recruitment?

5) Would the new coach -- presuming s/he is currently a HC -- bring any of his/her commits to Arkansas?

6) Would the new coach have better luck obtaining late 2017 commits than Dykes and his staff were having?

All of these (except #4, I guess) could have a significant impact on what Arkansas can put on the floor next year.

From where I sit, it can't be too much worse than what will happen without a change. Bring the new coach in and let him/her start from scratch. If it's a good coach/recruiter like flippin suggests, it could be three years before we're back to being competitive, but it'd be worth it.

if you get a coach (dont laugh so quickly) who has done well in their conference, who has gone deeper into the NCAA tourney than we have in a while, who has recruited and actually developed highly rated players, the answers to your question could all be on the plus side with the exception of bringing present recruits with him:  Dont look for that to happen. 

hog63

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 03, 2017, 02:27:19 am
if you get a coach (dont laugh so quickly) who has done well in their conference, who has gone deeper into the NCAA tourney than we have in a while, who has recruited and actually developed highly rated players, the answers to your question could all be on the plus side with the exception of bringing present recruits with him:  Dont look for that to happen. 

If we have a new hire the timeline will be controlled by how well their team is doing in the tourney. It may not be a quick hire.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hog63 on March 03, 2017, 09:13:35 am
If we have a new hire the timeline will be controlled by how well their team is doing in the tourney. It may not be a quick hire.

Was just thinking the same thing. If we want a high caliber coach they could be busy for awhile.  Long and Co like to operate in stealth mode when it comes to hiring coaches.  It may be a good thing not to fire JD until new coach is reasonably locked up.  Don't let the schools you are poaching see it coming.  Take a coach like Mike Nabors at Washington.  If he is your top target, gauge interest, put a great package together, and go get him leaving Washington little time to counter.  If on the other hand JD is already gone Washington might reasonably expect that Arkansas and it's home connections might be making a run at him and start sweetening the pot before there is even a conversation.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hog63 on March 03, 2017, 09:13:35 am

Was just thinking the same thing. If we want a high caliber coach they could be busy for awhile.  Long and Co like to operate in stealth mode when it comes to hiring coaches.  It may be a good thing not to fire JD until new coach is reasonably locked up.  Don't let the schools you are poaching see it coming.  Take a coach like Mike Nabors at Washington.  If he is your top target, gauge interest, put a great package together, and go get him leaving Washington little time to counter.  If on the other hand JD is already gone Washington might reasonably expect that Arkansas and it's home connections might be making a run at him and start sweetening the pot before there is even a conversation.

But are true and accurate considerations, but neither is incompatible with what I said.  You will allow that there are agents, and that contacts and terms of agreement that need not be made official until a later date, right?  It wouldn't be the first time Long or another Ad had a new coach in hand a good bit before it was announced.

Mr. Porkleone

Throw he banks a Geno. He needs a new challenge.

Seriously though, there's some good coaches out there, but I think they need to play in smaller areana, BWA just too big. Maybe convert Barnhill to handle ladies basketball.

parallaxpig

What does it matter.  If he stays 95 people will show up for games.  If he leaves 105 will show up. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

tophawg19

Joe Foley would be a solid hire
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Scott7703

Sure wish this was accurate but doubt it is. Long will let him completely run it in the ground before making a change.

Porked Tongue

Porked Tongue

Props to Long for recognizing this failure.

Porked Tongue

This has been all but a done deal for a little over a week.  Dykes news conference the other day just showed his naivety on his future.

I shared a few weeks ago they had been looking for an easy way for him to exit but he just wasn't receptive to the overtures.

Not sure what will happen to him now but I don't think the UA will employ him in any capacity.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 03, 2017, 04:24:23 pm

Names to replace?
I think Long already knows his man.  My understanding is there is a Plan A and Plan B candidate.  The Plan A is going to be tough but the Plan B is on board.  Just have to wait now on that.  Plan B is 10x the coach Dykes was.  Both A and B are long time women's coaches.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 03, 2017, 04:27:04 pm
This has been all but a done deal for a little over a week.  Dykes news conference the other day just showed his naivety on his future.

I shared a few weeks ago they had been looking for an easy way for him to exit but he just wasn't receptive to the overtures.

Not sure what will happen to him now but I don't think the UA will employ him in any capacity.

That's a shame. He would be great in a marketing or fundraising role.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 03, 2017, 04:28:49 pm
I think Long already knows his man.  My understanding is there is a Plan A and Plan B candidate.  The Plan A is going to be tough but the Plan B is on board.  Just have to wait now on that.  Plan B is 10x the coach Dykes was.  Both A and B are long time women's coaches.

Man? Not a woman?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 04:30:04 pm
Man? Not a woman?
Well, that might be a figure of speech.  It might change, but the leader is a male as defined by Webster.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 03, 2017, 04:28:49 pm

I would say both names are a very significant upgrade

The_Iceman

If one of those names is Mike Neighbors, "significant upgrade" doesn't come close to describing the hire.

Porked Tongue

This is a somewhat big hiring for Long.  He tried and failed with JD and cut that cord.  But now, he will need to hire really well to offset that prior failure.

Bonehead

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Hogtied85

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 03, 2017, 05:16:29 pm

Bonehead thank you. For the record I was secretly hoping this would happen because in the past Jeff would let this linger on and on. For anybody that I doubted I will eat crow. Now go get Mike Neighbors.

You know its really interesting I was watching Coach Neighbors twitter he said something that Jimmy would say. He said I'm All In

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogtired10 on March 03, 2017, 05:21:36 pm
Bonehead thank you. For the record I was secretly hoping this would happen because in the past Jeff would let this linger on and on. For anybody that I doubted I will eat crow. Now go get Mike Neighbors.

You know its really interesting I was watching Coach Neighbors twitter he said something that Jimmy would say. He said I'm All In

+1

poloprince

And to think some wanted him hired in men's bball lol
$PoLoPrInCe$