Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Softball ....absolutely

Started by Iwastherein1969, March 26, 2016, 01:26:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

the worst program at the school which has had money spent on them as far as facilities go. Somebody needs, no, HAS GOT TO GO. This program hasn't pissed a drop ever. Either blow up the program, dismantle the equipment and sell it and invest the money in the women's swimming and diving team or maybe even women's equestrian. If this is the best team we can field, we don't need to be competing in the SEC. Hell, UCA took down Miss St the other night at Starkville. Just comply with Title IX.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ricepig

We just hired a new coach, are you not going to give her some time?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2016, 01:42:59 pm
We just hired a new coach, are you not going to give her some time?
the PC response to your question would be, "oh okay, yeah, give her 3 to 5 years and see if she can get things going up there"....but in my heart I don't see this program ever going anywhere because the state of Arkansas delayed girls HS fast pitch back in the day to slow pitch which was like playing modern football with leather helmets...the slow pitch years were just that, slow and it kept Arkansas girls from learning the real game of softball....Obviously we can go out of state but with the reputation of the state of Arkansas and the University of Arkansas, I can't see us ever catching up to the SEC....JMO minus the PC milquetoast

ricepig

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 26, 2016, 03:59:26 pm
the PC response to your question would be, "oh okay, yeah, give her 3 to 5 years and see if she can get things going up there"....but in my heart I don't see this program ever going anywhere because the state of Arkansas delayed girls HS fast pitch back in the day to slow pitch which was like playing modern football with leather helmets...the slow pitch years were just that, slow and it kept Arkansas girls from learning the real game of softball....Obviously we can go out of state but with the reputation of the state of Arkansas and the University of Arkansas, I can't see us ever catching up to the SEC....JMO minus the PC milquetoast

Well, we aren't going to shut it down, might as well try to recruit and win. Somebody has to be the Vandy of softball, might as well be us!

yraciv

Thank Title 1. Some sports has to help balance the scholarships.  Not like we can just blow it up.

Pancetta

They need 1 stud pitcher. That's what fastpitch revolves around. Offer a 100% scholarship to a few and hope one of them signs. If you can ever get an elite pitcher it would turn the
program around overnight.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: yraciv on March 26, 2016, 05:14:18 pm
Thank Title 1. Some sports has to help balance the scholarships.  Not like we can just blow it up.
I think I mentioned Title IX when I started this thread. Yes we can blow it up and allocate the money to women's sports elsewhere or start up another female sport....I don't know if the women have a swimming, diving, tennis or even equestrian team. But anything would be better than watching this. I coached my daughter in Texas in fast pitch softball and 90% of the game is the mound and what type of talent you put out there. If the new coach doesn't bribe some father in Texas (where the best girl's softball is played) who's daughter is a war-horse of a pitcher, she's not going to last long. Might as well take a shot at bending the rules because she's going to lose her job in a year or so anyway.

Knot2brite

As a high school softball coach, I will admit that Arkansas softball was stunted by the slow movement to fast pitch from slow pitch. All the other garbage you posted about getting rid of the program and blah blah blah is drivel and should be ignored. Arkansas needs to give this coach a chance to see what she can do. Judging her on this years performance is worthless. She is going to hace to recruit several pitchers ( one won't do it any more in college softball) and she needs to help develop a better relationship between arkansas high school coaches and the university. The last couple Arkansas coaches did not make the relationship between the high school and university a positive thing. Yeah we may be a little behind some of the other states but Arkansas is making great strides in improving softball in this state.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Pancetta on March 26, 2016, 11:18:17 pm
They need 1 stud pitcher. That's what fastpitch revolves around. Offer a 100% scholarship to a few and hope one of them signs. If you can ever get an elite pitcher it would turn the
program around overnight.
I agree with you.  Get a stud pitcher,  get your program on the map then recruiting those other positions get a whole lot easier.

psycHOGlogist

March 27, 2016, 08:18:42 pm #9 Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:39:30 pm by psycHOGlogist
The pitching the past couple years has been the biggest problem. Let's not forget that this "horrible, let's blow it up" program is 3 years removed from back-to-back NCAA tournament trips and losing in the subregional final to the #1 ranked team each year. So, yes, the team has really had a collapse in the past couple years (see: pitching), but it's far from hopeless. Just being in the SEC will help a good staff (which I hope we have) to recruit.

But yes, it IS going to be a long year this year. The pitching is just so thin, in part due to injury, that there is just not much hope for SEC games.

pccmizuno24

Deifel cant recruit! Her maryland team that she Recruited is 7-23!! She was hired because she is a WOMAN! Jeff Long looked at all power 5 conferences and then looked at all womens coaches and she was supposedly the "best" His dumb butt should have went and got a winner!

pigture perfect

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on March 28, 2016, 10:04:41 pm
Deifel cant recruit! Her maryland team that she Recruited is 7-23!! She was hired because she is a WOMAN! Jeff Long looked at all power 5 conferences and then looked at all womens coaches and she was supposedly the "best" His dumb butt should have went and got a winner!
jsmh.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

psycHOGlogist

So it seems pccmizuno and Hawgdwellings are the same person and full of the same silliness.

flippinhogmana

report the bastards! dual accts are illegal (well a violation of the voluntary association rules of the board, results in being barred if discovered)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

pccmizuno24

I only have 1 account! Too silly to remember 2 passwords

psycHOGlogist

the PC response to your question would be, "oh okay, yeah, give her 3 to 5 years and see if she can get things going up there".

What is even the least bit "PC" about that? It's just accurate. The program is in bad shape. She's been hired to try to fix it. She needs some time to do that. That's not PC - that's fact.

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 27, 2016, 01:30:30 am

I don't know if the women have a swimming, diving, tennis or even equestrian team.

Well, this tells me a lot about how big a fan you are of UA women's athletics.

Inhogswetrust

April 01, 2016, 07:06:25 am #16 Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:21:15 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 27, 2016, 01:30:30 am
I think I mentioned Title IX when I started this thread. Yes we can blow it up and allocate the money to women's sports elsewhere or start up another female sport....I don't know if the women have a swimming, diving, tennis or even equestrian team. But anything would be better than watching this. I coached my daughter in Texas in fast pitch softball and 90% of the game is the mound and what type of talent you put out there. If the new coach doesn't bribe some father in Texas (where the best girl's softball is played) who's daughter is a war-horse of a pitcher, she's not going to last long. Might as well take a shot at bending the rules because she's going to lose her job in a year or so anyway.

When you said "coached my daughter" AND "bribe some father" AND "might as well take a shot at bending the rules" that is all I needed to read to know about you, your coaching and what sports should be about most of the time. Also you not knowing what sports Arkansas sponsors shows how much you really don't care about the Hogs overall. Sad.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

flippinhogmana

Despite some railing on you rain, since I have shared exchanges with you before in other forums several times, I perhaps know you a bit better and know something more of your heart.  So, I will say this as an observation that is a bit different slant in two main areas:  1) we started behind and so did Oklahoma (and the some other states) in basketball too in going from six on six to full court basketball.  It hasnt set back Oklahoma in either of those sports.  It just means you have to work harder in evaluating recruiting and maybe get more out of state kids the first few years.

Second, lighten up brother...it isnt PC to give a new exec a chance to revitalize a program that has fallen on hard times...most jobs I every got as a city manger, the city was in financial and organization trouble when I took the job.  A couple were on the verge of bankruptcy, one was in everything but the actual declaration.  I think I like what I see in Deifel, but this is her first year for crying out loud, dont you think at least one year (with a lot of injuries especially to pitchers) honeymoon is in order?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 01, 2016, 07:37:22 am
Despite some railing on you rain, since I have shared exchanges with you before in other forums several times, I perhaps know you a bit better and know something more of your heart.  So, I will say this as an observation that is a bit different slant in two main areas:  1) we started behind and so did Oklahoma (and the some other states) in basketball too in going from six on six to full court basketball.  It hasnt set back Oklahoma in either of those sports.  It just means you have to work harder in evaluating recruiting and maybe get more out of state kids the first few years.

Second, lighten up brother...it isnt PC to give a new exec a chance to revitalize a program that has fallen on hard times...most jobs I every got as a city manger, the city was in financial and organization trouble when I took the job.  A couple were on the verge of bankruptcy, one was in everything but the actual declaration.  I think I like what I see in Deifel, but this is her first year for crying out loud, dont you think at least one year (with a lot of injuries especially to pitchers) honeymoon is in order?
'and the band played on'    anyone who even remotely questions my loyalty to the UA hasn't read a single one of my posts other than in this thread....I suggest to a couple in here, read my posts in other forums in order to get an accurate gauge on my opinions...thank you...if you people who are big supporters of the softball coach are willing to give her X number of years, knock yourselves out...I just cannot watch a team with the Arkansas logo on the SEC network getting drilled by (fill in the blank)...the only good thing coming out of this program is however many girls that are on the roster get a full scholarship to the UA.....ask the young men on the baseball team who have represented the UA quite well for the past 40 years whether or not they are getting a full ride and would they like to have one....I'm sure the answer would be yes, we sure would like to have a full ride, but alas, no, they get the 1/2 or 1/4 scraps and trudge on...its a shame

ricepig

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 03, 2016, 07:21:27 am
'and the band played on'    anyone who even remotely questions my loyalty to the UA hasn't read a single one of my posts other than in this thread....I suggest to a couple in here, read my posts in other forums in order to get an accurate gauge on my opinions...thank you...if you people who are big supporters of the softball coach are willing to give her X number of years, knock yourselves out...I just cannot watch a team with the Arkansas logo on the SEC network getting drilled by (fill in the blank)...the only good thing coming out of this program is however many girls that are on the roster get a full scholarship to the UA.....ask the young men on the baseball team who have represented the UA quite well for the past 40 years whether or not they are getting a full ride and would they like to have one....I'm sure the answer would be yes, we sure would like to have a full ride, but alas, no, they get the 1/2 or 1/4 scraps and trudge on...its a shame

You do know that they only have 12 scholarships to give in softball, that's .3 more than baseball.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2016, 08:53:41 am
You do know that they only have 12 scholarships to give in softball, that's .3 more than baseball.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I
no I didn't...and if Wikipedia is right, I stand corrected...but I just find it difficult to believe that scholarships are split in any of the female sports because according to Title IX, money should be allocated equally. And I don't know that any of the women's sports have 85 to 110 scholarships as football....maybe so

ricepig

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 03, 2016, 12:03:41 pm
no I didn't...and if Wikipedia is right, I stand corrected...but I just find it difficult to believe that scholarships are split in any of the female sports because according to Title IX, money should be allocated equally. And I don't know that any of the women's sports have 85 to 110 scholarships as football....maybe so
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html
http://www.gocollege.com/financial-aid/scholarships/athletic/softball.html

pccmizuno24

Shoukd have hired Anderson from SAU! 51-9 and headed to d2 college workd series! I guess Arkansas at 17-39 is good enough! Oh and that stud recruiter at arkansas , old maryland team is 12-40! Way to hire a head coach with a whopping 54 games of headcoaching experience!

Kevin

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on May 12, 2016, 05:37:46 pm
Shoukd have hired Anderson from SAU! 51-9 and headed to d2 college workd series! I guess Arkansas at 17-39 is good enough! Oh and that stud recruiter at arkansas , old maryland team is 12-40! Way to hire a head coach with a whopping 54 games of headcoaching experience!

I take it you are not happy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

psycHOGlogist

Lol this guy making the same post in multiple threads. The same (ridiculous) posts he made last year, too.

I'm sorry your friend didn't get hired, but Tim Walton would have been 17-39 with this team.

coltseaver

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 03, 2016, 12:03:41 pm

Title IX does not state that money should be allocated equally and it doesn't state that because football gets 85 scholarships (and it's 85, not 85 to 110,) that women's sports should get 85 scholarships. In fact, Title IX does not compare specific sports to one another. The comparison is made to the student body as a whole, men/women. With regards to scholarships, Title IX actually states that student athletes receive money proportional to their participation. No where does it state that all male/female athletes receive equal money. It should, but it doesn't. Title IX was a huge step in the advancement of women, but far from making them equal as far as sports are concerned.

MrKlem10

Quote from: coltseaver on May 16, 2016, 11:07:52 am
Title IX does not state that money should be allocated equally and it doesn't state that because football gets 85 scholarships (and it's 85, not 85 to 110,) that women's sports should get 85 scholarships. In fact, Title IX does not compare specific sports to one another. The comparison is made to the student body as a whole, men/women. With regards to scholarships, Title IX actually states that student athletes receive money proportional to their participation. No where does it state that all male/female athletes receive equal money. It should, but it doesn't. Title IX was a huge step in the advancement of women, but far from making them equal as far as sports are concerned.

Spring sports will always be under funded because they are not considered as revenue sports.  Title IX also does not mean equal money, it means equal opportunity, facilities, and equipment standards....

Another question...what kind of turnover do you think the program will have this season?

yraciv

So I don't follow softball other than record and knowing we've been getting runruled all year, but I do keep an eye on all razorback programs.  Is there anything of promise for this program?  How is the recruiting class looking? Anyone we think will have a big impact there? Is there softball recruiting rankings/ Just curious.

And no matter the sport and how bad, I don't agree with firing the coach year 1.  I give most a 2 year pass before the heat is put on because these aren't her players.

yraciv

May 21, 2016, 05:20:37 pm #28 Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:40:05 pm by yraciv
Tried to answer my own question on recruiting.  Apparently we got Caroline Hedgcock who is a dominant player in IL. Something like 18 HR, .563 avg.  Limited on mound by injury, but 7-0, .49 era.  We've got something like 11 commits, so IDK much other details, but hopefully some of them are ready.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: yraciv on May 21, 2016, 05:20:37 pm
Tried to answer my own question on recruiting.  Apparently we got Caroline Hedgcock who is a dominant player in IL. Something like 18 HR, .563 avg.  Limited on mound by injury, but 7-0, .49 era.  We've got something like 11 commits, so IDK much other details, but hopefully some of them are ready.

Seems to be pretty hard to get softball recruiting information except from the very top players.  Isn't it funny though on how the SEC softball is getting so many good players from California.  Years ago Ladies did not want to move so far from home.  Now they are almost like the boys.

Hopefully with our Coaches ties to the California market and the east after her coaching in Maryland we can cherry pick a few very good players specifically Pitchers and get her program turned around in a couple years.

psycHOGlogist

May 23, 2016, 11:02:08 am #30 Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:06:04 pm by psycHOGlogist
I've posted this elsewhere (so apologies to anyone who is tired of reading this from me), but the incoming recruiting class has 3 Top 100 players in it.

The best is LHP Hedgcock, who is ranked 26th overall. She committed to Deifel at Maryland and has flipped to follow her here to Arkansas. This is, so far, the most significant recruit that the new staff has landed (though they have maintained the commits of several other good players, including the next two).

Next year's class also includes OF Jade Miller, who is ranked as the #32 overall player, and RHP Autumn Storms, who is ranked as the #77 overall player in the 2016 class.

None of our other recruits are in the Top 100, nor are they in the "Next 100" list compiled by the ranking service I have access to (Flo Softball - this is reasonably reputable, but like with any service, they have their hits and misses). Overall, FloSoftball ranks our 2016 class #11 nationally - which is awesome - on the strength of these 3 Top 100 players. We are higher on that list than Missouri, Florida, Kentucky, Ole Miss, TAMU, and Tennessee (but behind Auburn and Georgia, who tied at #9, South Carolina at #7, Alabama at #5, and LSU at #2).

The 2017 class is less top heavy but perhaps a bit deeper with talent? We have two Top 100 commits - #42 RHP Mary Haff and #87 3b/C Nicole Duncan. (I believe we also had #25 Makenna Dowell committed before the coaching change, but she is now committed to Auburn.) Despite a smaller number of Top 100 kids, though, we have 5 additional commits listed among the "next best" group - these include Jada Dotson (OF), Kayla Green (C), Kennedy Ratliff (IF), and Taylor Moore (OF) - and possibly Hannah McEwen (OF). I think McEwen is a commit, and her club page lists her as such, but she's not listed on some sites. The classes for 2017 are not ranked yet (as the kids have not signed), but it will be interesting to see where we fall. It should be noted that a lot (though not all) of these kids committed to the previous staff - the commitment process in softball happens very, very early relative to basketball (and even volleyball), but this staff has added additional names and kept many of the good ones on board.

I think there is reason for optimism - certainly for improvement over our current empty-cupboard woes, though perhaps not yet for dreams of challenging for conference championships. It will be very important to make progress in the circle. I think Moll improved considerably over the year, and who knows what she could have done if she did not have to throw so many innings for us. Seeing what Hedgcock, Storms, and even Stewart, Carter, and Brochu can do next year will be critical. Our pitching coach (Boo deOliveira) is highly respected, so I think we can hope for the best. 

coltseaver

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 22, 2016, 08:27:54 am
Hopefully with our Coaches ties to the California market and the east after her coaching in Maryland we can cherry pick a few very good players specifically Pitchers and get her program turned around in a couple years.

2 in the next class are Cali kids, one is a pitcher

Quote from: yraciv on May 21, 2016, 05:20:37 pm
We've got something like 11 commits, so IDK much other details, but hopefully some of them are ready.

9 commits in the next class, at least 1 transfer

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on May 23, 2016, 11:02:08 am
Seeing what Hedgcock, Storms, and even Stewart, Carter, and Brochu can do next year will be critical. Our pitching coach (Boo deOliveira) is highly respected, so I think we can hope for the best.

Brochu has asked for her release

psycHOGlogist

Thanks for the update. That doesn't surprise me. Wish her well!

psycHOGlogist

Another update - FloSoftball has tentatively ranked the 2017 recruiting classes. As best I can tell, it is simply based on how many of their Top 100 players have committed to each school, so it's not a perfect metric, but it's a start toward one. According to the article, 5 Top 100 players remain uncommitted, so even the rankings based on just this subset of recruits could change.

The good news is we have a top 25 ranking - #24 (based on having the two Top 100 commits we have, Duncan and Haff).

The bad news is that every SEC team except Kentucky is above us (#2 Florida, #3 Missouri - will be interesting to see what happens here. Their coach is in a lot of hot water with the school and may get fired, #5 Mississippi St, #7 Alabama, #8 Auburn, #9 South Carolina, #12 LSU, #13 Ole Miss, #15 Tennessee, #17 UGA, and #21 TAMU), even though UGA and TAMU also just have two Top 100 commits.

Just thought people might be interested. Still a ways to go before this group signs, and as I said above, the Mizzou situation could end up causing some chaos if their coach is let go.

jackflash

New head coach only been here one year. Think I will give more time but I judge her.

coltseaver

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 02, 2016, 12:14:04 am
Another update - FloSoftball has tentatively ranked the 2017 recruiting classes. As best I can tell, it is simply based on how many of their Top 100 players have committed to each school, so it's not a perfect metric, but it's a start toward one. According to the article, 5 Top 100 players remain uncommitted, so even the rankings based on just this subset of recruits could change.

The good news is we have a top 25 ranking - #24 (based on having the two Top 100 commits we have, Duncan and Haff).

The bad news is that every SEC team except Kentucky is above us (#2 Florida, #3 Missouri - will be interesting to see what happens here. Their coach is in a lot of hot water with the school and may get fired, #5 Mississippi St, #7 Alabama, #8 Auburn, #9 South Carolina, #12 LSU, #13 Ole Miss, #15 Tennessee, #17 UGA, and #21 TAMU), even though UGA and TAMU also just have two Top 100 commits.

Just thought people might be interested. Still a ways to go before this group signs, and as I said above, the Mizzou situation could end up causing some chaos if their coach is let go.

I believe only 2 from the hot 100 remain uncommitted.

Earlywine may lose his job, maybe he won't. Not sure how that affects the Hogs. The program already had it's problems. 5 transfers, including one that this board was so concerned with losing to an out of state school. They have had similar issues prior to this year as well. His comments aren't new from him or his staff. Do we not remember all his commentary when Fagan transferred in? Coaching changes are typical this time of year in softball. It's already going on with a lot of programs. Arizona St., Virginia, etc. It's going to be difficult for any team who cannot make their own conference tournament to convince a worthy transfer to come to said school. Of Mizzou's 5, I think the reality is that those players can't play in the SEC. Same goes for most schools. There are exceptions, like Fagan, but those transfers come with their issues as well.

We're still in Larabee world when it comes to these commits. Thankfully because of how he handled the money, the 2017 class is small, as is the 2018 class. If there are any game changers outside of the current players/signees, look for them in the 2019 class (or transfers) and that is up to CSD and co.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: jackflash on June 02, 2016, 07:58:14 am
New head coach only been here one year. Think I will give more time but I judge her.

I wasn't suggesting that the coach should or shouldn't be judged -  most of the 2017's committed to the previous staff (though there are a couple new ones, too). Just wanted to share the info, as others had inquired about how good our incoming classes were. This staff will really have its first chance to have "their" classes with the 2018 and 2019 kids. It's crazy how early kids commit in softball. There are stories out there about 8th and 9th graders making commitments.

coltseaver

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 02, 2016, 11:57:30 am
I wasn't suggesting that the coach should or shouldn't be judged -  most of the 2017's committed to the previous staff (though there are a couple new ones, too). Just wanted to share the info, as others had inquired about how good our incoming classes were. This staff will really have its first chance to have "their" classes with the 2018 and 2019 kids. It's crazy how early kids commit in softball. There are stories out there about 8th and 9th graders making commitments.

There's also a couple of ex ones. We lost a good OF to Florida.

Very crazy. There is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ commits who have not even set foot inside a high school classroom.

sw403

Thanks for the update.  Love softball!!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: coltseaver on June 02, 2016, 11:51:32 am
I believe only 2 from the hot 100 remain uncommitted.

Yeah, that is how I counted, too, but the article that said 5 came out AFTER the Hot 100, so ...???? It's a very small number, and the two that I saw were at the "bottom" (less Hot) end of the Hot 100.

And my only point about the Mizzou situation was that if Earlywine IS ultimately let go, those commits might go elsewhere and shift the rankings around. Would they come to Arkansas? Eh ... I suppose it's randomly possible, but unlikely at this juncture.

Thanks for the (as usual) great insight into the $$ situation. Hope we see those blue chip 2018s and 2019s rolling in soon!

I did see today on twitter that Hedgcock was named Illinois Gatorade POY, which is a nice honor (though not necessarily a guarantee of SEC greatness).

nwahogfan1

I have watched just about every College World Series Softball game at OKC and there is some very good players there. But  I noticed a difference in coaching styles and players abilities.

I just wonder with our coaching staff if she wants to build to be more like Okla with bigger players who are more of a power hitting team or more like Auburn and Georgia (except for Ga. 1st baseman) with smaller quicker players who have tons of speed.  Both played good defense and had good pitching but the thing I really notices was the size of the players on these teams.  I guess one tries to play small ball while the other scores with the long ball.

coltseaver

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 03, 2016, 01:24:25 pm
I did see today on twitter that Hedgcock was named Illinois Gatorade POY, which is a nice honor (though not necessarily a guarantee of SEC greatness).

She is also a HS All American, as are Manzo, Miller, and Parr

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 05, 2016, 04:59:10 pm
I have watched just about every College World Series Softball game at OKC and there is some very good players there. But  I noticed a difference in coaching styles and players abilities.

I just wonder with our coaching staff if she wants to build to be more like Okla with bigger players who are more of a power hitting team or more like Auburn and Georgia (except for Ga. 1st baseman) with smaller quicker players who have tons of speed.  Both played good defense and had good pitching but the thing I really notices was the size of the players on these teams.  I guess one tries to play small ball while the other scores with the long ball.

Hard to tell since we really don't know what kind of kids she's bringing in. We can't really go off her recruiting history as she now has a lot more "buying power" to attract players than she did at Maryland or Louisville if that's even relevant. I don't specifically remember what the makeup of the Cal teams were when CSD was there, but Ninemire historically has had a good mix of speed and power. One would assume CSD would look for something similar. We just have to wait and see who commits. All of this is moot if they don't have pitching to stay in games. You can't really small ball too much when you're down 21-0 against Auburn.

I'm not sure what Georgia games you're watching but outside of their OF, their starters are huge. They have the Emanuel sisters who Lu didn't even recruit. Other than that, they are a bunch of bruisers.

Myers' team, physically, is a lot like his championship teams. He had a good mix of big, small, fast, strong, etc. options. Big difference in those 2 teams and the Auburn teams is the pitching. Also not his kids. He is a master of culture change and getting the most out of his players. On paper, I doubt that group of Auburn kids was more heavily recruited than any of the other SEC WCWS teams. There's something to be said for a 30 year resume.

nwahogfan1

I watched Auburn and Ga. for the 2nd time and I agree with you they have a good mixture of speed and power.  I guess I missed it the first time through or just compared them to some of the other teams.  I also noticed that even though some of their players at Aub and Ga were not so big in stature as some they sure could swing the bat.  My goodness the power generated by some of those smaller ladies is amazing.  My wife said those girls play just like the boys.  LOL.  I said yes they do.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: coltseaver on June 05, 2016, 10:21:36 pm
Big difference in those 2 teams and the Auburn teams is the pitching. Also not his kids. He is a master of culture change and getting the most out of his players. On paper, I doubt that group of Auburn kids was more heavily recruited than any of the other SEC WCWS teams. There's something to be said for a 30 year resume.

Under-rated observation.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 06, 2016, 01:02:45 pm
Under-rated observation.

He has proven at Arizona State and now at Auburn that you do not have to take a long time to turn a team around and into a winner.  3rd year at Arizona State - NCAA champion.  3rd year at Auburn - playing for the title.  The previous year to his taking over Auburn - 7 - 17 in the SEC.  Similar at Arizona State.

coltseaver

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on June 06, 2016, 04:58:45 pm
He has proven at Arizona State and now at Auburn that you do not have to take a long time to turn a team around and into a winner.  3rd year at Arizona State - NCAA champion.  3rd year at Auburn - playing for the title.  The previous year to his taking over Auburn - 7 - 17 in the SEC.  Similar at Arizona State.

It's possible. There are certainly differences though. Lot of West Coast kids on those Arizona teams. All but one of those years he was there, the team made the WCWS. Hard to argue there wasn't some talent there.

The quick turnaround at Auburn was much more impressive. He brought along a kid or two, but the talent there wasn't a lot different than what we have in Fayetteville.

We talk a lot about pitching on these boards. While I don't argue its necessity and importance, neither of the kids in the finals are Ricketts or Lawrie, or Finch, etc. It's not just about pitching. Moll was perfectly capable of getting ground ball outs in the SEC. She had two huge problems this season. No one to share the load, and no run support. Plenty of teams make the tournament with a couple of Molls. Staggering fact...2016 Team hits for Auburn: 581. Arkansas? 118. Granted, Auburn has had 9 games in the SEC tourney, regionals, and super regionals, but still a pretty large discrepancy. Here's another fact. Almost half of Arkansas recorded hitters had 2 or fewer at bats. 15% for Auburn. Only 30% of Auburn's are in the single digits.

Here's the difference we don't get from television or stats. Ask an Auburn player if they believe they can win the WCWS. They will likely respond with "We WILL win the WCWS." As the story goes, Clint Myers met with his team at Auburn for the first time and told them their goal for the next year was to win the WCWS. After the players chuckled a little bit and awkwardly looked at each other, they realized he was serious. That was the beginning of change at Auburn. The players bought in, the Myers' did their thing, and here we are.

SEC Softballer1

Well I thought I would check on the blog to see how everyone felt about how the 1st year went. Tough year but they did win one more SEC game than I predicted. Kills me to watch as we could have been better. I wish the current coaching staff luck, but my prediction two years from now there will be another "Who is Long's top candidates" topic hit the screen. As Colt mentioned it can happen...look at Auburn. The decision has to made that they want to compete at a high level from the powers. My opinion is they took a huge gamble on the hire and helped on compliance at the same time. It is not that difficult to turn around with the right folks...but will take $$$ to get them. We have the facility, campus, education and heck in the one of the most beautiful areas of one of the most beautiful states to live in. We have to "coach em up"!

pccmizuno24

Quote from: SEC Softballer1 on June 07, 2016, 02:11:55 pm
Well I thought I would check on the blog to see how everyone felt about how the 1st year went. Tough year but they did win one more SEC game than I predicted. Kills me to watch as we could have been better. I wish the current coaching staff luck, but my prediction two years from now there will be another "Who is Long's top candidates" topic hit the screen. As Colt mentioned it can happen...look at Auburn. The decision has to made that they want to compete at a high level from the powers. My opinion is they took a huge gamble on the hire and helped on compliance at the same time. It is not that difficult to turn around with the right folks...but will take $$$ to get them. We have the facility, campus, education and heck in the one of the most beautiful areas of one of the most beautiful states to live in. We have to "coach em up"!

well said! she had a dumpster fire at maryland.... her recruits still sucked! Arkansas is a better job, than Maryland but just a stepping stone to the West Coast! Long will be in another hiring mode in a year or two.

psycHOGlogist

So which is it, dude? Is she an awful coach who can't recruit, or is she going to use her success at Arkansas as a stepping stone to a coaching job out west? You can't even get your repetitive trolling right.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 07, 2016, 09:17:08 pm
So which is it, dude? Is she an awful coach who can't recruit, or is she going to use her success at Arkansas as a stepping stone to a coaching job out west? You can't even get your repetitive trolling right.

Keep it civil guys.  Two posts were removed that were not civil.