Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh My . . . Jimmy Dykes hired as new U of A Women's Hoops coach

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 30, 2014, 10:14:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 31, 2014, 12:45:06 pm
I do not think it is a great hire in terms of a top women's college coach, but I think it is a great hire in terms of name and something fresh.  Our last two were bigger name hires and did not turn out great.  I would say that there is no better sport to take a chance on a new face than women's basketball.  Not like it is bringing in a lot to the university.  Biggest news in Arkansas womens basketball in the last ten years, is this hire.

I think that I have absolutely detested women's basketball my entire life and what it looks like on the floor but this hire actually has me intrigued in paying attention to the Hogs next year.  I wonder how many others feel this way.  I did not even know this forum existed before now.

Women's basketball is great basketball if you like basketball.  I tend to think the coaches need to be better coaches than they do in men's basketball because they can't rely on raw talent as much.  They have to have fundamentally sound teams and they have to be really good at the X and O's and as tacticians. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: Bear14 on March 31, 2014, 12:08:04 pm
Girls don't watch ESPN.

Hipsters and prom queens don't, but I imagine that female athletes do, especially ones that have the talent to play D1 ball.
Go away, batin'

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawgon on March 31, 2014, 12:59:14 pm
Women's basketball is great basketball if you like basketball.  I tend to think the coaches need to be better coaches than they do in men's basketball because they can't rely on raw talent as much.  They have to have fundamentally sound teams and they have to be really good at the X and O's and as tacticians. 
I love basketball and always have but would never call women's basketball great.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 31, 2014, 03:18:01 pm
I love basketball and always have but would never call women's basketball great.

It is  better basketball than men's basketball was for a few years.  It is more fundamentally sound.  The tactics and coaching matchups matter more.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawgon on March 31, 2014, 03:22:24 pm
It is  better basketball than men's basketball was for a few years.  It is more fundamentally sound.  The tactics and coaching matchups matter more.
That is a matter of opinion and unfortunately far more would prefer not to watch it even when it is not competing with any other sport.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Kevin

way to bring him home, mr long. seems to be a theme with the current hires
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

baumsquad

Quote from: Hawgon on March 30, 2014, 08:17:33 pm
You're taking a reasonable approach.  You are remaining positive while acknowledging how "unorthodox" the hire is.

What is it though with the people who just drink the Kool-Aid no matter what and act like this is a great hire.  He might turn out to be a great coach, but it isn't a great hire.

exactly he may turn out great but NOT great hire and could turn out to be laughing stock
JUST WIN BABY!!

tophawg19

i know this . the womens basketball coaches are laughing at the hire . Even the head of the league says she is disappointed in it and that we didn't hire a proven coach who has earned the opportunity
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 31, 2014, 04:52:54 pm
i know this . the womens basketball coaches are laughing at the hire . Even the head of the league says she is disappointed in it and that we didn't hire a proven coach who has earned the opportunity

We have a woman at the head of the SEC??...that's the only league we are in.

Pork Twain

Interesting...

ricepig

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 31, 2014, 05:01:00 pm
Interesting...

What the head of the Women's Basketball Coaching Association said, was that she was disappointed a proven coach wasn't hired, but that she was for doing whatever it took to grow the game, and this hire could accomplish that. And yes, I'm paraphrasing her words.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2014, 05:08:25 pm
What the head of the Women's Basketball Coaching Association said, was that she was disappointed a proven coach wasn't hired, but that she was for doing whatever it took to grow the game, and this hire could accomplish that. And yes, I'm paraphrasing her words.
I figured he was partially full of crap and was using my hidden sarcasm as a false curiosity...

hoglady

Quote from: Hawgon on March 31, 2014, 12:59:14 pm

I agree but sometimes there's just pure talent.
I was keeping score at one of the AAU tournaments years back and Shameka Christon just happened to be one of the players. I think she was 14 then playing 16 and under ball. There was no denying who the best player on the floor was. She was really something to see.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 30, 2014, 10:38:06 am
So we pass on a guy with a national title, some Final Fours, and a wife that still works here. We also pass on a coach that has more career wins than even Blair and he's right down the road.

Jeff failed to separate friendship from business and this is a stupid business decision.

tend to agree

psycHOGlogist

The competition Dykes had was the coaches at mid-major programs (Wichita State, TN-Martin, Albany) who have done well in the lower leagues and were looking to move up and, depending on who you believe, the WVU coach.

I strongly suspect that the WVU coach would have been very expensive to lure away from his home state.

We weren't going to get Blair.

Porked Tongue

Blair was NEVER going to return to coach.  He's content.

bobcat ball

Who cares? I sure don't and I bet JL does either. And he shouldn't either. To many of you worry how others think and feel about Arkansas and what's done on the hill. Most of the ones you guys think care actually could care less.

WOO PIG

lc480

Wonder if the the Uconn coach will complain about Louisiana tech hiring Tyler Summitt?
If Dykes is not good enough to be a head coach, what qualifications does Tyler have that are any better than Jimmy.?
I bet he will get a pass on his experience, because hes Pats boy.

Hogtied85

Personally hiring Jimmy Dykes is stroke of genius. Who cares if he hadn't coached in 20++ years. There have been plenty of coaches who have left winning programs to take over failing programs and have sucked in the process and as a result they were fired. These coaches by the way are apart of WBCA. So really the WBCA disapproval of Jimmy Dykes is laughable at best. I support Jimmy Dykes he will do a great job. People will be surprised. The results will speak for itself. ;)

Pork Twain

You don't know that but who cares if they are?  What are they going to do, beat us in a sold-out, packed arena of 50 people?

Tim

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 30, 2014, 10:26:45 am
It shows that Jimmy wants to give back to his school and that is admirable.  As others have said, maybe this will rekindle interest in the women's program.

But, let's check back with this in about four years.  I'll bet he's back on espn doing games again.

Nailed it

Tim

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 02, 2014, 04:13:48 pm
Personally hiring Jimmy Dykes is stroke of genius. Who cares if he hadn't coached in 20++ years. There have been plenty of coaches who have left winning programs to take over failing programs and have sucked in the process and as a result they were fired. These coaches by the way are apart of WBCA. So really the WBCA disapproval of Jimmy Dykes is laughable at best. I support Jimmy Dykes he will do a great job. People will be surprised. The results will speak for itself. ;)
Oh.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Tim on March 10, 2017, 03:13:51 pm
Oh.

Interesting to read back through all six pages of the thread and see who said what.  I am surprised to find that I didnt post about the hire a single time.  I recall that I had significant reservations at the time.  I guess not saying anything at all says how reserved I was or at least I would have given a polite 'welcome' post at least.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Tim

Quote from: HF#1 on March 30, 2014, 11:52:35 am
A. He can't be worse than Tom Collen

B. He can't recruit worse than Tom Collen

C. National name, knows his stuff.  Knows x's and o's.

D. Alum, proud supporter of the program.

E. Will do a fantastic job and will keep the in state talent at Arkansas.

Love the hire.
Wrong wrong wrong

Tim

Quote from: GuvHog on March 30, 2014, 01:20:31 pm
Huge hire IMHO for 2 reasons

1. Unlike the previous women's Head coach, Dykes' name is known nation wide so when he steps into the homes of recruits, he'll get major league attention. He could very will get shots at recruits that Collins could only dream of getting a shot at.

2. He is great at x's and O's so the team will be more than fundamentally sound.
How would you have known he was great at Xs and Os?

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 30, 2014, 10:27:05 am
I will predict a Sweet Sixteen appearance for our Lady Hoopsters within 3 years.

This game - like all sports up at the U of A - is 80% about recruiting and I feel Dykes' high profile from his ESPN work will open doors to a level of recruits that our ladies' program has never had access to.

That's funny.

tophawg19

couldn't tell them anything but some saw the writing on the wall
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LadybackBBFan

I believe his national recognition did generate some interest and did initially help in recruiting.  However, his demeanor, attitude, aloofness, and coaching ruined any positive impact that he had.  Please no more out of the box hires.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 10, 2017, 03:58:01 pm
Interesting to read back through all six pages of the thread and see who said what.  I am surprised to find that I didnt post about the hire a single time.  I recall that I had significant reservations at the time.  I guess not saying anything at all says how reserved I was or at least I would have given a polite 'welcome' post at least.

Well, this thread started on the men's board and was migrated. There were other threads on the women's board -- at least that's my recollection. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯