Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh My . . . Jimmy Dykes hired as new U of A Women's Hoops coach

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 30, 2014, 10:14:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

010HogFan

I don't believe this for a second. Why would he quit broadcasting?

Inhogswetrust

Just got a txt about that not from Jimmy but I know him. Congrats Jimmy!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 30, 2014, 10:15:26 am
I don't believe this for a second. Why would he quit broadcasting?

So he can stay closer to his family in Arkansas?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Inhogswetrust

HawgAdvocate

Nipsey Mussle

hogzilla3

It is apparently true, ESPN analysts are reporting as well! Wow is all I can say!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2014, 10:17:17 am
Coaching/recruiting experience? Staff? First real coaching job?
Wasn't he on Pitino's staff at UK?

WizardofhOgZ

Wild Bill Hog

Nipsey Mussle

WilsonHog

@jefflongUA: "Please join me in welcoming our new Head Women's Basketball Coach @JimmyDykesLive tonight at 6:30 Bud Walton Arena!" http://t.co/Yf3LyyomDI

razorback1829

A WOW hire that might help generate some excitement for our woman's program. Jimmy knows the game and I think he should be able to adjust to the rigorous woman's basketball recruiting gauntlet. Seriously though, I like it! Really not taking much of a risk in a non revenue generating sport. I don't see anything wrong here.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 10:19:29 am
Wasn't he on Pitino's staff at UK?

He left coaching though in 1991. Good luck to him. If he doesn't succeed then, oh well, back to the WBB drawing board.

Jackrabbit Hog

It shows that Jimmy wants to give back to his school and that is admirable.  As others have said, maybe this will rekindle interest in the women's program.

But, let's check back with this in about four years.  I'll bet he's back on espn doing games again.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

WizardofhOgZ

I will predict a Sweet Sixteen appearance for our Lady Hoopsters within 3 years.

This game - like all sports up at the U of A - is 80% about recruiting and I feel Dykes' high profile from his ESPN work will open doors to a level of recruits that our ladies' program has never had access to.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

1highhog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 30, 2014, 10:20:34 am
Sutton's I think, but I could be wrong.

I know he was on Sutton's at UK, so he learned from one of the best.  Many on here might be to young to even remember Sutton, especially his glory days, but any Coach that got to learn from him got some good stuff.  I never thought I'd see the day that Dykes would leave the relative security he had at ESPN to Coach, especially in such a tough league as the Women's game in the SEC.  Here's wishing you all the success in the world Jimmy!

Inhogswetrust

He's done all except as a head coach in college.

Inhogswetrust

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 30, 2014, 10:27:05 am
I will predict a Sweet Sixteen appearance for our Lady Hoopsters within 3 years.

This game - like all sports up at the U of A - is 80% about recruiting and I feel Dykes' high profile from his ESPN work will open doors to a level of recruits that our ladies' program has never had access to.
I think he'll do really well. He's all about the fundamentals and harps on them to a fault.

He's the 2nd active U of A coach with a hot blonde wife.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: farmhawg on March 30, 2014, 10:29:07 am
Odd hire when there are coaches with experience.....

I'll give you that. However as a friend of his I'll obviously say give him a chance.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2014, 10:26:04 am
He left coaching though in 1991. Good luck to him. If he doesn't succeed then, oh well, back to the WBB drawing board.

True of any coach for any team.....................

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 10:30:14 am
He's done all except as a head coach in college.

Except that was 20+ years ago. Good for the lady Backs that they have a new coach, and it's fun to cheer for this occurrence for LadyBack fans.

It's an odd, but likely inexpensive, hire in a non-revenue generating sport. There's not really anything to lose here.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 10:33:33 am
True of any coach for any team.....................

Not really, but I see this is important to you so I can understand your defensive stance.

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Break & Run

I think he'll be able to recruit like heck.  First thing he needs to do is find out if Tyler Scaife has any sick family she needs to move closer to home for!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Dr. Starcs

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 1highhog on March 30, 2014, 10:29:42 am
I know he was on Sutton's at UK, so he learned from one of the best.  Many on here might be to young to even remember Sutton, especially his glory days, but any Coach that got to learn from him got some good stuff.  I never thought I'd see the day that Dykes would leave the relative security he had at ESPN to Coach, especially in such a tough league as the Women's game in the SEC.  Here's wishing you all the success in the world Jimmy!

He learned from Eddie as a walk on player (where I first met him) and then coaching for him.

Dr. Starcs

Jimmy better go get him some men.........errr.......you know what I mean.

3kgthog

So we pass on a guy with a national title, some Final Fours, and a wife that still works here. We also pass on a coach that has more career wins than even Blair and he's right down the road.

Jeff failed to separate friendship from business and this is a stupid business decision.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 10:37:31 am
He learned from Eddie as a walk on player (where I first met him) and then coaching for him.
Do you know him by any chance?

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

tophawg19

23 years out of basketball coaching . this hire makes no sense . we have 2 former ladybacks working as assistants at good programs who would be better . long may have 1 up'ed his hiring of smiley
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

FineAsSwine

Those ladybacks are gonna have some hot hands. They're gonna saddle up opponents guards and ride 'em up the sidelines.

Look out SEC!

#neveryield
Hogs up! Covid down!

Stang1970

Asst under Eddie Sutton and a player.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2014, 10:35:36 am
Not really, but I see this is important to you so I can understand your defensive stance.

I freely admit I'll be biased in this hire. However it is true of any coach of any team that IF they are not successful they will be replaced. Do I think it is a risk in the general public's eyes absolutely but all coaching hires are a risk to some degree. I do know that NOBODY love's the UA and Hogs more than him. Could he be critical while calling Hog games sometimes? Sure. However THAT was his job. He called it like he saw it as it should be. As far as importance is concerned it is about Jimmy being happy not about me wanting him being a Hog coach or not. IF he didn't want it then I would have been fine with that. IF he isn't as successful as he thinks he should be after a few years then he would step down because of his love for his school.

Nipsey Mussle

Those complaining about how much this hire bothers them probably couldn't name 3 players on the team without looking it up.

Doug

Guys, you complain that the Razorbacks don't get enough respect in the media, then they bring on someone with NATIONAL recognition and respect, and now you're complaining about that?

Seriously? You can't have it both ways.

This is a HUGE hire. His name, alone, gets the Razorback program into recruits minds across the nation.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

-Blu

I like Dykes, guy comes from a good basketball background, really knows the game, and really cares about the university.  He also has a little name recognition, so maybe that will help with recruiting. Good hire IMO.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 10:44:28 am
23 years out of basketball coaching . this hire makes no sense . we have 2 former ladybacks working as assistants at good programs who would be better . long may have 1 up'ed his hiring of smiley

Were there other qualified candidates potentially sure. NOBODY is ever going to agree 100% on any hire when they aren't doing the hiring. BUT after hired then the new coach should be given 100% support for a few years no matter who it is.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 10:45:52 am
I freely admit I'll be biased in this hire. However it is true of any coach of any team that IF they are not successful they will be replaced. Do I think it is a risk in the general public's eyes absolutely but all coaching hires are a risk to some degree. I do know that NOBODY love's the UA and Hogs more than him. Could he be critical while calling Hog games sometimes? Sure. However THAT was his job. He called it like he saw it as it should be. As far as importance is concerned it is about Jimmy being happy not about me wanting him being a Hog coach or not. IF he didn't want it then I would have been fine with that. IF he isn't as successful as he thinks he should be after a few years then he would step down because of his love for his school.

Again, I understand your bias, but there is a very large difference in replacing a coach in a primary revenue-generating sport vs. replacing one that generates very little.

Politics and booster involvement would be the biggest differences. If Dykes can't get it done here, replacing him should go on without any drama or fuss from boosters.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 10:31:59 am
I'll give you that. However as a friend of his I'll obviously say give him a chance.
I'm thinking on Jimmy's Jet (the personal version) you're more of a baggage handler.

Wild Bill Hog

Will he be able to stop the AR talent from leaving the state?  What is his relationship with AR HS coaches?  How big is his name in WBB HS ranks - in AR or outside the state?

Time will answer these questions, and it is a money losing entity after all.  Collen had like 6 or 7 years so what is 4 or 5 to a "hometown boy"?  Success or failure isn't going to have any impact anyway.  Go Jimmy!