Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players have to step up and have enough pride in themselves

Started by Lanny, February 05, 2017, 07:01:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sigpooie

Why is Kingsley trying to spin his layup in? He's miss some major need buckets with this move.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

tophawg19

Richardson bullied his players and they feared him but respected him too. When the players ran the hills, he ran with them . MA is a soft PC coach. with no toughness and it shows in the team.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

lutherheggs

Quote from: Lanny on February 05, 2017, 07:11:44 am
Yesterday should fall on the players, they didn't hustle, defense was slow to make adjustments
The played just like that vs. Okla St too. So if they continue these extreme up and down series of games, that is totally on the head coach.

They are becoming the football team. Nice win at Vandy, then embarrassed by an average Okla St team, then a good thumping of Alabama at home, then embarrassed by one of the worst teams in the country that was winless in conference play.

So next game, they will clobber Vandy then game after that, they will be embarrassed at LSU by a bad LSU team.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Etowah on February 05, 2017, 08:51:57 am
We did not lose because Mike did not have them prepared...I have the utmost in MA.  He is a great coach.

This stuff just happens to everyone......we ran into the perfect storm.

Missouri was playing for a cause greater than themselves....and they have under performed all year.  We ran into a buzz saw.  Missouri is the best 6 win team in the country.
Fyi, WilsonHog is using this post in another thread. You are at risk, young man.

luke hawg

Poor teams have great offensive production against us because we foul a lot. We give up tons of open threes and layups with full court trapping and usually lose the rebound battle. This isn't rocket science. It's been the same show for 6 years.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Lanny on February 05, 2017, 07:01:32 am
Arkansas is not good enough to mail it in and beat a team on the road.   Anderson may or may not be the best coach but the current players know
what it takes to beat a bad team.

Lanny did you think the officiating was good ? I know it gets old but it just seems to me like, especially on the road, refs get lost when the pace gets going. Like the two calls against Beard that should have been jump balls... Like the T on Moses that should have been left alone. The ref's seem lost to me and often blow the whistle anticipating a foul. We hustle to get back in the game and the ref's pull out the whistle. Every time we started to make a run they put Mizzou on the line. The Mizzou guys were taunting our players and the refs did NOTHING about it.

When you are having an off game on the road and your senior defensive leader is on the bench its really hard to mount a come back. IMO the SEC needs to do something about the officiating.

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:15:25 am
Lanny did you think the officiating was good ? I know it gets old but it just seems to me like, especially on the road, refs get lost when the pace gets going. Like the two calls against Beard that should have been jump balls... Like the T on Moses that should have been left alone. The ref's seem lost to me and often blow the whistle anticipating a foul. We hustle to get back in the game and the ref's pull out the whistle. Every time we started to make a run they put Mizzou on the line. The Mizzou guys were taunting our players and the refs did NOTHING about it.

When you are having an off game on the road and your senior defensive leader is on the bench its really hard to mount a come back. IMO the SEC needs to do something about the officiating.
What the calls on Beard illustrates is a perfect example of not adjusting to the officiating. Officials already showed they weren't going to allow reaching in an attempt to take the ball, what does Beard do? He reaches in the exact same way and they called it the exact same way, the officials were consistent, our guy didn't adjust. Stop reaching in, set the trap and look for the steal off the pass and rotation.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 10:12:28 am
Amen, we should've beat this team by playing good defense on it's own. You can always bring hustle and defense when the shots aren't falling.

Were you watching the same game ? The mizzou guys were just throwing the ball towards the rim and it was going in... Hard to beat that. Especially on the road. I saw more shite shots last night then I've seen go in , in a long long time. Throw in some dumb as crap officials and you have the perfect storm. Thats what I saw.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:21:30 am
What the calls on Beard illustrates is a perfect example of not adjusting to the officiating. Officials already showed they weren't going to allow reaching in an attempt to take the ball, what does Beard do? He reaches in the exact same way and they called it the exact same way, the officials were consistent, our guy didn't adjust. Stop reaching in, set the trap and look for the steal off the pass and rotation.

Reaching ?!!!! You ARE kidding right ? The guy threw an elbow at him and WE were called for blocking lol.. You don't get more incompetent than that.

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:23:46 am
Reaching ?!!!! You ARE kidding right ? The guy threw an elbow at him and WE were called for blocking lol.. You don't get more incompetent than that.
LOL, you saw what you wanted to see, Beard had already fouled when the guy made a basketball move to split the double, which caused the contact with the elbow, if there was any.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:21:30 am

Please coach. Explain to your team how you adjust to setting a perfect trap. Then when the opponent throws an elbow and knocks your guy to the floor and SOMEHOW gets called for blocking, how you adjust... I'm waiting coach.. We were off last night AND the officiating wouldn't allow us to get back in the game. Simple as that.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:25:05 am
LOL, you saw what you wanted to see, Beard had already fouled when the guy made a basketball move to split the double, which caused the contact with the elbow, if there was any.

Nope I saw Beard with his hands on the ball. There was NO contact whatsoever until the offensive player initiated it with his elbow. How do you change your coaching to overcome stupid refs ?

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:26:24 am
Nope I saw Beard with his hands on the ball. There was NO contact whatsoever until the offensive player initiated it with his elbow. How do you change your coaching to overcome stupid refs ?
Ummm like I said, the refs showed they weren't going to allow reaching in so you adjust and STOP reaching. They were consistent, it is up to the players to adjust to how it was being called. What, did you think they were going to stop calling the reaching because we frowned up and complained?

Timfromlittlerockhog

Best start in 19 years. We had an off game. It happens. We were off after that the officials decided to keep Mizzou ahead by calling the dumbest fouls EVER... Mike has to get the slow starts fixed. Especially on the road. I believe he will. But many of you guys need to keep in mind we have three jucos in our lineup. Often all three start.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:28:41 am
Ummm like I said, the refs showed they weren't going to allow reaching in so you adjust and STOP reaching. They were consistent, it is up to the players to adjust to how it was being called. What, did you think they were going to stop calling the reaching because we frowned up and complained?

Its not reaching to grab the ball.

Knot2brite

What I am about to say has no proof and is purely speculation....I think there is a problem on this team that is underlying and slowly simmering. I think we have some division between some players about who is scoring and who isn't. I think there is a reason that we see some players out of the lineup at certain points of the game. I starting seeing this in December and it has gotten to the point that even the casual fans can start to see it. There is still some chemistry problems on this team and I think MA is having to deal with that as well as inconsistency from just about every player on this team. This isn't an excuse but rather a problem that has to be fixed at some point..the problem is that we are running out of season quickly
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:29:25 am
Its not reaching to grab the ball.
It is if the refs are deeming you are getting hand along with ball and calling it. Doesn't matter what YOU think, if the refs are calling it, you don't cry about it, you adjust how you set the trap and you DON"T REACH IN!!!!

Timfromlittlerockhog

A reaching in foul requires that you make contact with the offensive players. That didn't happen. What you are saying is reaching wasn't allowed ? Go back and watch the game. Reaching was allowed. Over and over. Just not during traps. Which is what we do. So I'll say it again. The refs were not going to allow us to come back in that game.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:31:06 am
It is if the refs are deeming you are getting hand along with ball and calling it. Doesn't matter what YOU think, if the refs are calling it, you don't cry about it, you adjust how you set the trap and you DON"T REACH IN!!!!

IF its a legal trap. And IF its a legal reach. Which both of them were. Then the officials should allow them to play on. Thats what I'm saying. People on here seem to think that officiating has NO effect on the outcome of the game. They ARE WRONG. Trapping is what we do. And when the guy is holding the ball right in front of Beard at eye level he's going to take the ball away. Which is a legal play. Unless you are playing in front of SEC officials on the road. I'm telling you the officiating needs to be fixed. Its a huge problem. Its a little better this year than it was last year. But that and us having a poor shooting display cost us this game. NOT the coaching.

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:31:09 am
A reaching in foul requires that you make contact with the offensive players. That didn't happen. What you are saying is reaching wasn't allowed ? Go back and watch the game. Reaching was allowed. Over and over. Just not during traps. Which is what we do. So I'll say it again. The refs were not going to allow us to come back in that game.
Have you ever heard the term "adjust to the officiating"? As I said it doesn't matter if YOU believe it was a foul or not, the officials showed early they weren't going to allow you to be physical in the traps and reach in for the ball, the players and coaches have to adjust to that, and that doesn't mean you frown up, throw your hands up in disgust, it means you STOP doing it so they don't continue to call it.

Edit: On the other hand, we have had officials that did allow us to be physical in traps and reach for the ball without calling it. Then it becomes the other teams problem of having to adjust to it and become stronger with the ball or move the ball to avoid the traps. I know being a MA fan this is hard for you to understand, but it is called "ADJUSTMENTS".

Timfromlittlerockhog

I feel bad for some of you posters. When Mike makes the NCAA tournament some of you are going to be inconsolable. The SEC desperately needs to fix its officiating.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:35:37 am
Have you ever heard the term "adjust to the officiating"? As I said it doesn't matter if YOU believe it was a foul or not, the officials showed early they weren't going to allow you to be physical in the traps and reach in for the ball, the players and coaches have to adjust to that, and that doesn't mean you frown up, throw your hands up in disgust, it means you STOP doing it so they don't continue to call it.

Sure. But would you tell CBB that he needs to stop trying to run the ball because every time he does there's a holding call ? I wouldn't think so. Its part of what we do. I see a problem with the officiating in college basketball. Especially in the SEC. You say adjust to bad officiating. I say the SEC makes enough money to fix the problem. And they SHOULD.

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:37:39 am
Sure. But would you tell CBB that he needs to stop trying to run the ball because every time he does there's a holding call ? I wouldn't think so. Its part of what we do. I see a problem with the officiating in college basketball. Especially in the SEC. You say adjust to bad officiating. I say the SEC makes enough money to fix the problem. And they SHOULD.
At the end of the day they shot TWO more free throws than us, and that is with us fouling intentionally at the end of game. Game wasn't called one sided at all. There were certain fouls they were going to call, elbow pushing off? reaching in trapping situations?, our guys just kept doing them.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:39:57 am
At the end of the day they shot TWO more free throws than us, and that is with us fouling intentionally at the end of game. Game wasn't called one sided at all. There were certain fouls they were going to call, elbow pushing off? reaching in trapping situations?, our guys just kept doing them.

Lets just agree to disagree. Its not about the foul total. Its about the way the game is being called. If you take away one teams bread and butter with the way you are calling non-existent fouls its going to impact the game. I'm not going to argue with you. Mike is the coach and I believe we will make the NCAAT this year. And he has my support.

rude1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:48:18 am
Lets just agree to disagree. Its not about the foul total. Its about the way the game is being called. If you take away one teams bread and butter with the way you are calling non-existent fouls its going to impact the game. I'm not going to argue with you. Mike is the coach and I believe we will make the NCAAT this year. And he has my support.
Oh so you don't want to acknowledge that they were calling fouls on Mo., it's one sided if they don't let us do what we want and only call on the other team?

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: rude1 on February 05, 2017, 11:54:26 am
Oh so you don't want to acknowledge that they were calling fouls on Mo., it's one sided if they don't let us do what we want and only call on the other team?

I said it was the perfect storm. Mizou was throwing up shite shots that were going in. OFTEN. And the refs were NOT going to allow us to do what we do... We were setting up legal traps and stealing the ball. The refs were making ghost calls to keep us out of our defensive sets. If you call a holding call against a football team EVERY time they attempt to run the ball they become one dimensional. They are only left with the pass. Officiating effects the game. Its over simplifying things to count the number of fouls. But if thats what you want to do, go for it.

I'm not conceding anything. I'm just saying we have an honest disagreement and I'd rather just drop it. You aren't going to see my point and I'm not going to see yours. Case closed.

tophawg19

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:37:39 am
wouldn't have to. he's smart enough to know if rules changed to stop running. then we would go more passing. Mike is still trying to run a Jackie Chan karate chopping defense and whining about calls even though he knows rules were made to stop it

ricepig

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:22:55 am
Were you watching the same game ? The mizzou guys were just throwing the ball towards the rim and it was going in... Hard to beat that. Especially on the road. I saw more shite shots last night then I've seen go in , in a long long time. Throw in some dumb as crap officials and you have the perfect storm. Thats what I saw.

I saw us not raise our arms on 3 straight 3pts even though the shooter was in front of us, lack of effort. Throw in our 10-15 reach fouls every night, and you have the Arkansas defense. Oh, and if course the officials cost of the game, lol.

tophawg19

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 05, 2017, 11:48:18 am
if your bread and butter is against the rules , then it's time for a change . smart coaches adjust. dumb ones go to the NCAA 1 time in 6 years

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 05, 2017, 11:30:23 am
What I am about to say has no proof and is purely speculation....I think there is a problem on this team that is underlying and slowly simmering. I think we have some division between some players about who is scoring and who isn't. I think there is a reason that we see some players out of the lineup at certain points of the game. I starting seeing this in December and it has gotten to the point that even the casual fans can start to see it. There is still some chemistry problems on this team and I think MA is having to deal with that as well as inconsistency from just about every player on this team. This isn't an excuse but rather a problem that has to be fixed at some point..the problem is that we are running out of season quickly

I've been feeling this for a while now. It's a real possibility.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Coach V. Slocombe

Yep the officials lost us that game...lol...sheeeeezzzz and I guess the officials made Kingsley throw the elbow and get a tech also?
I don't put on the uniform to play the game, I put on the uniform to win the game.   Larry Bird
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.  Vince Lombardi

Sivad

rude1

Quote from: Coach V. Slocombe on February 05, 2017, 01:55:54 pm
Yep the officials lost us that game...lol...sheeeeezzzz and I guess the officials made Kingsley throw the elbow and get a tech also?
Those pesky officials kept picking our ball handlers pockets causing us to mount 17 turn overs.

20gauge

They called blocking on Bearc not a reach when the Mizzou player tries to split the double. I'm tired of the refs being blamed for every dang loss. This has went on 6 years and dang freedom of movement crap has been in place a couple. Coach the players to move their feet. I bet our practices sound like a darn slap fight. That's the issue not bad refs costing us games.

Are there some bad calls yes. The bigger picture is that MA is not evolving with the game and teaching it accordingly.

im sure teams feel the same when they come in to our building and play.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2017, 09:37:53 am
I don't recall Nolan having much of a problem getting his kids to play hard.

Good coaches either get them to play hard all the time or they don't get to play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi