Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs mentioned in Ivan Maisel's three point stance

Started by razobak, October 19, 2009, 09:09:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razobak

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/3-point-stance

Quote3. The 23-20 loss to Florida will linger at Arkansas until the teams next play in 2014, give or take a possible SEC championship game. For one thing, Alex Tejada’s missed 38-yard-field goal in the fourth quarter ended the Hogs’ streak of scoring in the red zone at 23 possessions. Second, Tejada had been 7-of-7 on field goals this season before going 2-of-4 Saturday. The self-belief necessary to beat a No. 1 team can be hard to maintain.

Doesn't mention the refereeing, but he makes good points.  Make those FGs, or hit a wide open Van Stumon in the end zone, and we win despite the refereeing.  While the officiating was hideous, and indefensible, we still had every opportunity to win this game. 

I just hope we learn from it and absolutely PUNISH ole piss for the crime of being next on our schedule.

I do like how he hinted at us meeting in the SECCG in the future.  It's becoming widely clear that Arkansas is going to be a force in the SEC for years to come.  WPS!!  :razorback:
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

The Marmot

We lost due to our own mistakes and the refs mistakes.

How one weighs each is completely subjective.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Houston h

38 yard field goal means the ball was at the 21, not in the red zone.......

GolfnHog

Quote from: The Marmot on October 19, 2009, 09:12:52 am

I agree in principle, however one is self inflicted; the other is outside a teams control when playing within the rules.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

scootman

The fact of the matter is that we will never know if we would've won the game without the bad calls. That's what sucks so bad for me, is that the refs have skewed what might have been. We don't know if we would've won and because of the refs we never will. It takes away that definitive line.
A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: The Marmot on October 19, 2009, 09:12:52 am

Maybe if the refs don't help Florida so much we win anyway. That is the whole thing the refs helped Florida on about 7-8 calls. You can always go back and say we lost because of mistakes. What if they call PI on Florida on a couple of those plays? We'll never know but we do know they helped Florida. If we get half of those calls we win the game.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: Houston h on October 19, 2009, 09:21:55 am

I think the first one he missed was like 31 which was in the redzone

hogfanforever

I thought about it in a different way this morning...

Florida had to earn EVERY point they got (ok, maybe not EARN, but work for)

We left points on the field. Probably 10 of them.

using that line of thinking, I know that the team has arrived
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Houston h on October 19, 2009, 09:21:55 am

I believe we got the ball to the 20, then Mallett threw an incomplete, and then B Green lost a yard on 3rd down...setting up a 38 yard field goal snapped from the 21.

Regardless, we had 2nd and 3 from the 20 yard line...we get a first down there, and we could ween that clock down to under a minute, essentially commanding the last possession of the game.

inhognation

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 19, 2009, 09:52:24 am
I believe we got the ball to the 20, then Mallett threw an incomplete, and then B Green lost a yard on 3rd down...setting up a 38 yard field goal snapped from the 21.

Regardless, we had 2nd and 3 from the 20 yard line...we get a first down there, and we could ween that clock down to under a minute, essentially commanding the last possession of the game.

This is correct.  We are now 23-24 in the red zone this season according to the NCAA stats website.  We got to the 20, even though we were outside the red zone on the kick, so it counts as a red zone opportunity.  FWIW

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfanforever on October 19, 2009, 09:50:11 am
I thought about it in a different way this morning...

Florida had to earn EVERY point they got (ok, maybe not EARN, but work for)

We left points on the field. Probably 10 of them.

using that line of thinking, I know that the team has arrived

For the most part true, except:
1. We gave them a TD on the blown coverage =   7 points
2. We missed two wide open receivers for TD's =  14 points
3. We missed two FG's that we shouldn't have =    6 points
Total....................................................... =  27 potential point swing
Go Hogs Go!

hogmary

That may be true that we blew those scoring opportunities and gave up one big play for a td, but how about the defense getting two fumble recoveries in the red zone when the Gators were driving?

Also, since the refs ignored the out of bounds hit on Dennis Johnson, guess they felt they were running out of time to call a pf penalty and called it on Malcolm.

To me, the play that lost the game for us was the holding that called back the td.  If we hadn't used more time to get the td back, we would have had more time at the end of the half and could have tried again for a td instead of settling for a fg.  Interesting that the refs go blind when the Gators (or Bama, for that matter) hold.