Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you rather have the Razorbacks the way they were before Nutt?

Started by arkjay19, August 19, 2006, 12:20:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkjay19

Everybody always wants to call out HDN and say that we can never do anything with him here.  How much respect was Arkansas getting before he got here?  Arkansas was just another Utah, Boise State, or Fresno State back in the mid-90's, just in a better conference.  He has taken it from a below average program and put it on the national map.  With the help of Broyles getting brand new facilities constantly, Nutt has coached the program to getting top recruits,  top coaches, and playing in top bowl games.  He showed his dedication to Arkansas when he turned down more money to go to Nebraska, this is not a gateway job for him, this is where he loves to be.  He may not be the best coach in the world, but can't we give this coach respect, and maybe, just maybe, give him some time to build this program up a little more?

RazorRaider

We are getting back to where we we were at before he became coach.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 19, 2006, 12:20:33 pm
Everybody always wants to call out HDN and say that we can never do anything with him here.  How much respect was Arkansas getting before he got here?  Arkansas was just another Utah, Boise State, or Fresno State back in the mid-90's, just in a better conference.  He has taken it from a below average program and put it on the national map.  With the help of Broyles getting brand new facilities constantly, Nutt has coached the program to getting top recruits,  top coaches, and playing in top bowl games.  He showed his dedication to Arkansas when he turned down more money to go to Nebraska, this is not a gateway job for him, this is where he loves to be.  He may not be the best coach in the world, but can't we give this coach respect, and maybe, just maybe, give him some time to build this program up a little more?

Heck yeah!   What do you think?  Will 10 more years be enough for Dale to get us to the promised land?  :puke:
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PigPusher

Quote from: RazorRaider on August 19, 2006, 12:22:42 pm

Please explain what you mean by that.  I don't see any resemblance.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

WilsonHog

To answer the question posed in the title of your thread, no. I would not. I would like it to be on the level of the elite programs in the SEC, and I don't believe it can be with our current head coach.

Now I have a question for you: what do you mean by "on the national map?"

idochog

Another 2 yr free pass by HDNs lead buttkisser Jim Lindsey and we will back there.
I love Jesus!

antonio65

I am waitting to see what is done with the talent we just got in here and how he allows Gus to do his job to make a judgement.

hogman64

Dedication to Arkansas  =  LSU, please, please can I come down and take Nick's place.....If it's more money I am  ready to listen..................yea he is dedicated allright.........

UhOhioHog

We are finally getting some good recruits.  Danny Ford didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare for HDN.  Now if the Nutt will just ride the Gus Bus we can get back to Atlanta!

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogman64 on August 19, 2006, 12:29:39 pm
Dedication to Arkansas  =  LSU, please, please can I come down and take Nick's place.....If it's more money I am  ready to listen..................yea he is dedicated allright.........

Right. If LSU would have yielded to Nutt's request that he not have to publicly go to Baton Rouge for an interview, Nutt would be the Tigers' head coach right now. Nutt met the LSU representatives in Dallas, but couldn't go to Baton Rouge to interview without having to resign at Arkansas first.

hog caller

Houston is a good coach and relates to the players well. the shenagins that the other SEC schools were playing with the sanctions we had pasted on us for 5 years hurt recruiting tremendously. with other schools telling kids we wouldn't be on TV or could,t go to a bowl game . it has cost us dearly.i can't blame that on HDN .oh ,he has had his moments but overaqll he 's a pretty damn good caoch. smite me if you want but the truth hurts sometimes and is hard to swallow.WPS

piglett06

I feel some hot air.  If the big doubters here do not believe things are not improving then one would have to conclude that we're being negative for negative sake.  We also tend to conveniently not mention that not to long ago we lost a number of talented players to the draft. That  had a very dramatic affect on our program.  Fact. Coach Nutt has his weaknesses, but strengths also. We are improving and Nutt is a part of it because he is still there and still the head coach.  That being said I believe we could do a lot better, but, "It is what it" is for now.

RazorRaider

Quote from: PigPusher on August 19, 2006, 12:24:34 pm
Quote from: RazorRaider on August 19, 2006, 12:22:42 pm

Please explain what you mean by that.  I don't see any resemblance.
Plain and simple before during the Danny Ford and Jack Crowe eras (Some pretty dark times) we had trouble beating anyone in the SEC even the Miss. Schools. We have now gotten to the point to where those two schools are the only conference wins we can get. If this trend continues we will be right back where we started at. We have became stagnant and that is putting it mildly. Eventually even the Miss. schools will start to surpass us if we don;t improve and start doing so son. How long will people continue to put up with this HC we have now? At what point will the entire fanbase finally get on the same page and realize this man is not the right man for the job? What is it going to take?
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

piglett06

And, in your opinion nothing is being done to improve the program?

hogsmaster

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 19, 2006, 12:24:49 pm
To answer the question posed in the title of your thread, no. I would not. I would like it to be on the level of the elite programs in the SEC, and I don't believe it can be with our current head coach.

While I would love to have an elite program, I just don't see many coaches that will make us an elite team in the SEC.  I think we can do better than what we have achieved in Nutt's tenure, but it is very hard to out-recruit teams like Florida, LSU, Alabama, and Tennesse, regardless of who our coach is.  Auburn also brings in a very good recruiting class on a yearly basis.

Realistically, we should always have a winning season, go to SEC Championship game once every 2-4 years, win it every 4-8 years, and contend for the NC every 10-15 years.  Can it be better?  Yes, but very hard at Arkansas, no matter how much I love the Razorbacks.

RazorRaider

Quote from: piglett06 on August 19, 2006, 12:38:28 pm

The only improvements that may have been made were forced upon coach Nutt. A good leader knows when changes should be made and makes them. He does keep to the status quo watching things get and finally has his boss thrust the changes upon him.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsmaster on August 19, 2006, 12:38:35 pm

While I would love to have an elite program, I just don't see many coaches that will make us an elite team in the SEC.  I think we can do better than what we have achieved in Nutt's tenure, but it is very hard to out-recruit teams like Florida, LSU, Alabama, and Tennesse, regardless of who our coach is.  Auburn also brings in a very good recruiting class on a yearly basis.

Realistically, we should always have a winning season, go to SEC Championship game once every 2-4 years, win it every 4-8 years, and contend for the NC every 10-15 years.  Can it be better?  Yes, but very hard at Arkansas, no matter how much I love the Razorbacks.

That is a sad, sad commentary on Razorback football.

GuvHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 19, 2006, 12:33:51 pm

Right. If LSU would have yielded to Nutt's request that he not have to publicly go to Baton Rouge for an interview, Nutt would be the Tigers' head coach right now. Nutt met the LSU representatives in Dallas, but couldn't go to Baton Rouge to interview without having to resign at Arkansas first.

Actually H. Nutt told LSU he wouldn't interview period, public or private. He said if
LSU made an offer he'd consider it, otherwise he wasn't interested.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 19, 2006, 12:43:02 pm

Actually H. Nutt told LSU he wouldn't interview period, public or private. He said if

Really.

I'm sure that's why he met them in Dallas.

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

I never cease to be amazed at how gullible some of us allow ourselves to be.

hogman64

If you are married  why dont you  just spout out that statement  and replace "LSU"  with " other women" and see how dedicated your wife thinks you are , big boy.........

hogsmaster

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 19, 2006, 12:42:11 pm
Quote from: hogsmaster on August 19, 2006, 12:38:35 pm

That is a sad, sad commentary on Razorback football.

I agree, but I think that is who we are.  We overachieve, earning everything we get; we are not Notre Dame, USC, or Oklahoma.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogman64 on August 19, 2006, 12:46:49 pm

If you are married  why dont you  just spout out that statement  and replace "LSU"  with " other women" and see how dedicated your wife things you are , big boy.........

Ouch.

Somebody get Guv a towel..................he's bleeding from that shot.

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorRaider on August 19, 2006, 12:40:22 pm

The only improvements that may have been made were forced upon coach Nutt. A good leader knows when changes should be made and makes them. He does keep to the status quo watching things get and finally has his boss thrust the changes upon him.

Her we go again! Provide some irrefutable proof of the first statement or refer to
it as simply your opinion. Never state something as fact unless you can back it up.

piglett06

Quote from: RazorRaider on August 19, 2006, 12:40:22 pm

Your beginning post was, "We are getting back to where we we were at before he became coach." My question is are we doing things to improve the program disregarding who is doing it. If the answer is yes we are doing things to improve the program then that is positive. Which suggests we are going in the right direction and the program is not continuing as it was before he was coach. I personally feel it would be good to replace Nutt, but disregarding that the program is headed in the right direction.

GuvHog

If you are married  why dont you  just spout out that statement  and replace "LSU"  with " other women" and see how dedicated your wife thinks you are , big boy.........

My wife and I have been married for 19 years and are very dedicated to each
other thank you very much, but that has nothing to do with this.

LSUfan20

Immediately before Nutt Arkansas was losing football games.  Under Nutt, Arkansas is losing football games.  If someone can make recruit competitively to Iowa City, Iowa, then someone can do so at Fayetteville, Arkansas.

hogman64

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 19, 2006, 12:53:42 pm

congratulations and I bet you havent made that statement about other women either......

WilsonHog

Once again you read it, but you did not comprehend it.

Let me spell it out. I'll even use myself as an example so as not to offend you.

I too am married. Suppose I said to another woman, "I'm not going to pursue you, but it you make me an offer I will consider it."

Am I being loyal to my wife?

GuvHog

Quote from: hogman64 on August 19, 2006, 12:56:28 pm

congratulations and I bet you havent made that statement about other women either......

That's because there haven't been any other women. She has been and will allways be my one and only.

fire_hog

Arkansas was just another Utah, Boise State, or Fresno State back in the mid-90's, just in a better conference. 

It's funny you should mention those teams, since ALL OF THEM have had more success and have been ranked higher than the Hogs in the past 5 years.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

arkjay19

The last few years HDN and staff have showed that they can recruit some big name players after those NCAA sanctions finally ended.  Then, just think if that one year we keep Ahmad Carroll, Shawn Andrews, Lawrence Richardson(who had another year of eligibility), and Jason Peters.  When all of those people who could've stayed left, it hurt the team in skill and most importantly experience.  If those guys stay, it changes the last two years drastically.  HDN has coached through hardships and the SEC, he deserves respect.

HatfieldHog

When I read posts like these from newcomers to this board, I realize that I don't have the time to list all of the truths that refute the bulk of what has been posted!  One thing that I will address:  What makes you think that Nutt has in any way helped the progress of what Broyles has done with our facilities?  You think that 2 losing seasons has helped to bring this money in.  You might be right:  I can see it now!  It'll be called the Razorback Telethon:  "Send in your pledge to help build a house for these little piggies to play in, since the big bad wolf blew their house down...."  Come on man, get a grip!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

arkjay19

Exactly Boise State, Fresno State, and Utah all play in conferences that couldn't compete with the lower half of the SEC, that is why it is so tough to take a team of that caliber like Arkansas was, and make it into a power.  It even takes guys five years or so at those mid-majors to get them noticed.  You have to at least double it for the SEC.

GuvHog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on August 19, 2006, 01:06:13 pm

When I read posts like these from newcomers to this board, I realize that I don't have the time to list all of the truths that refute the bulk of what has been posted!  One thing that I will address:  What makes you think that Nutt has in any way helped the progress of what Broyles has done with our facilities?  You think that 2 losing seasons has helped to bring this money in.  You might be right:  I can see it now!  It'll be called the Razorback Telethon:  "Send in your pledge to help build a house for these little piggies to play in, since the big bad wolf blew their house down...."  Come on man, get a grip!

See ya

Say What? The only reason the expansion of RRS happened was BEACUSE of  H. Nutts
Record the first 2 years. Without those 2 winning seasons there would've been no reason to expand RRS.

piglett06

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 19, 2006, 01:02:41 pm
The last few years HDN and staff have showed that they can recruit some big name players after those NCAA sanctions finally ended.  Then, just think if that one year we keep Ahmad Carroll, Shawn Andrews, Lawrence Richardson(who had another year of eligibility), and Jason Peters.  When all of those people who could've stayed left, it hurt the team in skill and most importantly experience.  If those guys stay, it changes the last two years drastically.  HDN has coached through hardships and the SEC, he deserves respect.

What I was trying to say, but you did much better.  +2  No one mentions the deflections, but they very definitely put our team on a lower level real quick.

Tejano Jawg

This debate is never phrased "which situation is/was better...which coach is/was better?"...but "WHICH ONE IS WORSE?" That's a sad way to have to look at it. But that's the reality of our program since Hatfield's last 2 years (the 2 Cotton Bowl years). Since then we've had Crowe (.391 winning %), Kines (.300), Ford (.464), and now Nutt (.588). Actually, despite their records, the one you'd have the fewest BAD things to say about was probably Kines. They've all had some big wins (heck, Crowe even beat Texas) but the overall feeling of "bad" has always outweighed the "good". Crowe will always be judged by the Citadel game, Ford for all the losses to SMU, and Nutt...well, take your pick.

Another way to look at it...when there has been good, it has always been short-lived. Never sustained. We have hardly seen a good stretch that hasn't been followed by complete meltdown. I look forward to the time to come again when a LOSS is the anomaly, not a win. I want a loss to be looked at as a singular thing, not as another reminder of the overall state of our program.

This debate may never end. Hopefully, this season will change that.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

piglett06

Well you know Coach Nutt and the promise he brought probably did have some affect on the expansion.  No one, I would surmise, can bring proof to the table that he didn't

Tmac813

Arkhog you're wasting your breath.  I"ve been on here a few months, and the rampant nutt-bashing never stop.  There is on thing that would shut alot of the darkside rs up?  Just win some important football games!  No more moral victories.  I hate to be a hugger on some issues, and a darksider on others, but let's face it, the fan base is sick of "almost and would've should've could've".  There is no such thing in my book as a moral victory?  What is that? as long as we put up a fight, but we go down nobly.  "A good fight is one you win"  Sorry, about the rant, but with football season coming up I'm getting psyched for some Razorback football.  At the same time people have short memories as well.  The Razorbacks of the nineties in football were an absolute joke.  If HDN can step back and allow the assistants to do the job, I think alot of the Darksiders will cease with their opinions of gloom and doom.. BTW for the most part I'm a HDN fan, while I think the critiscms leveled at him have merit, some of the posters go to far...

ballhog™

I want a program where the coach doesn't have to have all the planets align just the right way to have a great season.

A program where a down year is 7 or 8 wins and I'm not wondering if we will go to a bowl but which one.

A program that is consistently in the top 25 and a few breaks from being top 10 or playing for a national championship.

A program where it wouldn't be considered a miracle to win the overall conference championship.

A program where we don't have to be a darkhorse to win, but are picked to win and hold up with what we should do.

The Razorbacks used to be most of these at one point.  I want us to do it in the SEC.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Bigmac

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 19, 2006, 01:08:45 pm
Exactly Boise State, Fresno State, and Utah all play in conferences that couldn't compete with the lower half of the SEC, that is why it is so tough to take a team of that caliber like Arkansas was, and make it into a power.  It even takes guys five years or so at those mid-majors to get them noticed.  You have to at least double it for the SEC.

Evidently the likes of Minnesota and UNLV competed rather well with the lower half of the SEC. Just ask HDN. Not to mention we are like 2-3 against Kentucky and 3-2 against Vandy (a school that doesn't even have an athletic department.
All this "gotta respect HDN" dribble is getting ridiculous. I don't mind giving the man his due but when this relentless posting of HDN has done no wrong makes me want to right the ship by pointing out his obvious shortcomings.
The ship is turning but it should of been turning a few years back. We have already had some damage to the ship from not turning it sooner and hitting those icebergs (lack of national respect). Hopefully the damage can be fixed but Nutt will always be known for wreckless driving regardless of what happens. He is the one and only driver the this ship.

Oh I tried the Suppose I said to another woman, "I'm not going to pursue you, but it you make me an offer I will consider it." I am now nursing a black eye. THANKS!

Bigmac

Quote from: piglett06 on August 19, 2006, 01:12:36 pm
Quote from: arkhog9 on August 19, 2006, 01:02:41 pm

What I was trying to say, but you did much better.  +2  No one mentions the deflections, but they very definitely put our team on a lower level real quick.

Has no one ever questioned the mass exodus of that class. Sure there were a couple of bonafide NFL players that were juniors in that group but the rest were not. Why was it they all bolted. Did they see that HDN was planning on bolting as well and was expecting an opportunity to? Did they leave because they felt they had recieved all the training they would be able to get from HDN and his assistants, that there was nothing else that the coaching staff could offer them? Did they know that JFB was putting HDN on the hot seat? Did they know that as players there was no chance of winning any type of championship for them so why stick around? My guess and my opinon is the they had recieved all the training they were going to get so they picked up and left regardless of their chances of improving their draft status for the next year whether injuries or not was a consideration. Of course getting injured on the hill you never know when you may recover from "Dr" Weber.

arkjay19

I am saying that Nutt has made a much better situation than before he came here, not that he is the lesser of two evils.  I know that Nuttbashers go to far and they want this ELITE program.  There is LSU, USC, Florida, Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Auburn that are the elite in NCAA Football.  You cannot just expect a coach with NCAA sanctions and the toughest conference in the world(look at how many teams in that list are in the SEC) and just make them this juggernaut all of a sudden.  It took Tressel, Beamer, Stoops, and even Bowden some times to build up their programs.  Even Carroll and Tuberville had to build their programs back up, except had a much better starting point that Nutt.  HDN may have his shortcomings, but who else would have come to Arkansas and led the program to six straight bowl games?

Bigmac

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 19, 2006, 01:50:51 pm
I am saying that Nutt has made a much better situation than before he came here, not that he is the lesser of two evils.  I know that Nuttbashers go to far and they want this ELITE program.  There is LSU, USC, Florida, Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Auburn that are the elite in NCAA Football.  You cannot just expect a coach with NCAA sanctions and the toughest conference in the world(look at how many teams in that list are in the SEC) and just make them this juggernaut all of a sudden.  It took Tressel, Beamer, Stoops, and even Bowden some times to build up their programs.  Even Carroll and Tuberville had to build their programs back up, except had a much better starting point that Nutt.  HDN may have his shortcomings, but who else would have come to Arkansas and led the program to six straight bowl games?

I hope you're right. I hope he does build the program but for how many years do keep our faith in HDN that he will do that. I honestly want him to succeed but is having 5-6 mediocre to bad seasons worth 1 good season then drop off again? Has HDN shown anywhere that he is capable taking this program to a higher level. Albeit, the recruiting class has been better but some (that's putting it mildly) of that credit goes to Gus. There is a fine line between having faith and being a fanatic. HDN keeps making the line finer each year.

arkjay19

We got Hillis, McFadden, Jones, Dick, Olajabutu, Monk, Grant, Sims, Jackson, Ugoh, Roper, etc.  How many of those impact players were recruited by Gus.  Nutt will get us to the top of the hill, Gus will keep us there.

fire_hog

Pop Quiz:

What do Utah, Boise St., Washington St., Louisville, Iowa, Illinois, Stanford, Maryland, Oregon St., Texas A&M, Arizona, and Tulane all have in common? (Besides being powerhouses that we can't hope to compete with in recruiting)

Answer: They have all finished in the top ten since Dale has been at Arkansas.

Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama have also all been in the final BCS top 10 since Dale has been here. That is half of the SEC. Have we been there? No. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Has what we've been doing working?". I'll let each person figure that one out on his own.

In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

HoggusMaximus

I dont have a anti houston nutt comment for this thread this is a really good post. although i dont see why he would need more time, he has had since 1998 to start building up. But nevertheless Good Pro Nutt post +1

arkjay19

So how's Tulane been doing lately?  Wasn't Arizona one of the worst programs in the country and hired a Stoops to try to repair it?  Didn't Illinois have some winless conference seasons?  Everyone wants Nutt to build a program that is in the Top Ten every year and not fall off after a good season.  Yet, they want to compare Arkansas to teams that did have Top Ten season and then completely fell off the map.  Great comparison(sarcasm intended)

He needs more time because he couldn't recruit the way he wanted to for a long time and he had to do it in the toughest conference in the NCAA.  Two more years Arkansas will be a constant Top 20 team.

Swino

Pork Twain

The more people that come on here trying to blow HDN smoke up my A$$ the more I dislike hearing that man's name.  Give it a rest already.  You guys are worse than the guys that bash him in every other post.  There is a lot more to talk about right now then HDN and his ability to F' up a program
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

fire_hog

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 19, 2006, 02:26:35 pm
He needs more time because he couldn't recruit the way he wanted to for a long time and he had to do it in the toughest conference in the NCAA.  Two more years Arkansas will be a constant Top 20 team.

I am almost speechless.

Time? He's been here 8 years. Not 2. Not 3. Hell, not even 4 when traditionally a coach damn well better be producing. 8 years.

Couldn't recruit the way he wanted to? I presume you are referring to the "cloud". Otis Kirk himself said there was only ONE recruit that ever even mentioned it being a factor, and Dale's class rankings have been remarkably consistant over the years, cloud or no cloud. 7th or 8th in the SEC. Otherwise known as "sucking".

I hate to tell you this, but being in the SEC is kinda actually a good thing for recruiting purposes normally.

Two more years? I am astounded. It's not even "Wait til next year" anymore, it's "Wait til year-after next, we'll get em then!".

P.S.  As to the first part of your post, the answer is yes. I would rather have one year of glory and championships before falling back into mediocrity, as opposed to being there all the time.