Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 16, 2024, 04:27:11 am

Sam Walton on RoJo

Started by silvertip, August 17, 2006, 09:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

Many years ago, I read a rather profound comment by Sam Walton, speaking about how Wal-Mart dealt with young managers that weren't quite up to snuff. To paraphrase:

" We try to "re-cycle our failures." You learn by making mistakes. So, why should we invest all that time & money training a rookie, and then run him off just when he has learned from his mistakes? Lots of times, we find they are just ready to be a lot better."

Something like that. And SO...uh...what was the question???

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Quote from: silvertip on August 17, 2006, 09:04:27 pm
Many years ago, I read a rather profound comment by Sam Walton, speaking about how Wal-Mart dealt with young managers that weren't quite up to snuff. To paraphrase:

" We try to "re-cycle our failures." You learn by making mistakes. So, why should we invest all that time & money training a rookie, and then run him off just when he has learned from his mistakes? Lots of times, we find they are just ready to be a lot better."

I'm fine with Rojo if we just use him as the official "greeter" to the stadium.

Not sure about keeping him in a mid management position, though.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

HatfieldHog

You don't build a "Retail Giant" like Wal-Mart, without being very smart.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

THROWITDEEP

I bet if Sam were alive today he would hire a man like Robert Johnson as a manager due to the competitive nature that he has learned as a NCAA Division I quarterback.

Robert Johnson is not my pick as our quarterback either, but he is all we have until Mustain comes in the game.

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Quote from: HatfieldHog on August 17, 2006, 09:22:27 pm
You don't build a "Retail Giant" like Wal-Mart, without being very smart.

See ya

...or selling your soul to Communist China...
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

leroyjenkins

bill gates is smart, would you let that guy have anything to do with athletics???? apples and oranges. that is like saying, gus was a great coach give him lee scott's job.

TXrazorback

Quote from: leroyjenkins on August 17, 2006, 09:36:07 pm
bill gates is smart, would you let that guy have anything to do with athletics???? apples and oranges. that is like saying, gus was a great coach give him lee scott's job.

not sure what to say to that..........
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

leroyjenkins

dont say anything, i was making a stupid point to counter a silly analogy

hog caller

wwwhogfan

This works for careers, 20-30 years, you have time for this line of thinking........NCAA football, 4 years baby.......

silvertip

Quote from: leroyjenkins on August 17, 2006, 09:40:10 pm
dont say anything, i was making a stupid point to counter a silly analogy

Alright, LJ, I was going to just ignore your stupid point. But you just wouldn't let it alone.

No, what Walton had to say has absolutely zero connection to your stupid point. He was talking about a general principle of management, which can apply to any organization. Be it a Fortune 500 company or a football team.

I'm not even going to try to explain it to you. It's not at all complicated. If you didn't get it the first time, odds are you'll never get it.

silvertip

Quote from: wwwhogfan on August 18, 2006, 02:17:10 am

This works for careers, 20-30 years, you have time for this line of thinking........NCAA football, 4 years baby.......

Tell Joe Ferguson that there wasn't enough time for Stoerner to turn it around.

Or tell Al Borges that Jason Campbell was too far into his career, to become an NFL QB in just one more year.

CiriusPorker

I think some of you have missed the point of this thread.

I truly feel RoJo will shock some of you on sept. 2 with his improved status. 

There's a saying, "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".  Johnson has endured mistakes, losing his starting position, widespread public criticism, competition against a top freshman talent.  And yet he stayed.

Whatever didn't kill him or push him away, has made him stronger and better.