Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 12, 2024, 10:22:25 pm

RJ's Awareness = 0

Started by _Collin1, August 16, 2006, 11:40:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

_Collin1

I don't see how any of you can support Robert Johnson as a starter.  Frankly, I want almost throw up in my mouth everytime I think about getting to my seats and seeing him call the plays in the huddle on Sept 2.

Robert Johnson may be an improved passer... scrambler.... etc.  But one thing didn't change from his freshman year to his sophomore year, and it surely wont change into his Junior year....  and that's his awareness.

I cannot tell you how many times we have had a 3rd and 15 and RJ will dump it in the flats.  He absolutely refuses to pass it farther that 15 yards.  Please... somebady tell me how many completions RJ had in 7 games as a starter that went over 15 yards.  I bet over half of them were YACs anyways.

Bottom Line, RJ has no awareness in the game.  Prime example was a play against Georgia last year.  2nd and 10, RJ does a 5 step drop and looks for his hot route.  Hot route has single coverage he doesnt throw, second route is past 15 yards and he doesnt throw.  RJ takes off for the sidelines after being chased out of the pocket.....  At this point a quarterback would do these things

A)  Chuck it out of bounds since you are outside the tackles and take a 3rd and 10
B)  Make a Sophomore mistake and try to hit a receiver that has come back to you
C)  Run out of bounds to make it 3rd and 18.

The answer is obviously A, maybe B.  RoJo went with plan C and gave us a 3rd and 18 instead of a 3rd and 10.  What a ridiculous play... all he had to do was throw it out of bounds instead of running out of bounds.  RJ has NO FIELD AWARENESS.  He couldnt tell you if it was 1st down, 4th down, 3 yards to go, 4th quarter, halftime....  clueless.....  which is exactly what you are if you think RJ wont screw up Sept. 2.  Period.

The truth is Harsh.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Hugehogsfan

Ok how many different threads on this do we need?  Good points, but I am having trouble keeping up with all the different QB threads. 

ReturnToDynasty?

Although all the signs indicate that RoJo will suck again, you just never know how much he has improved.  He does have more experience, so that's the x-factor.  And he has new coaches and a new system to boot.  We won't really know until he starts against USC, and he no doubt WILL start against USC.

I guess the worst part is this.  In my opinion, no matter how much better Mitch is than RoJo, Mitch will not start against USC.  The coaches will not put that pressure on Mitch, although he is probably or will be the best QB.  Like it or not, it just won't happen.  And I don't really know what to think about that? 

Should I be mad at the fact that the coaches are "scared" that Mitch will severely bruise his psyche with a bad start in his first career game; and thus hurting our chances to win by not putting the best guy in at QB to start the game?  Are they being pansies or are they being smart?

bigred7987

and the play you described happened how many times? once when he ran out of bounds and we lost THREE YARDS. 

PORK CHOP

Landonhog

August 16, 2006, 11:52:03 am #5 Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:55:33 am by Landonhog
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.........

:puke:

Man, these are getting old.... 

Hugehogsfan

hey pork chop are you talking about your avatar or jim rome quote?

GuvHog

Quote from: BigC51 on August 16, 2006, 11:40:33 am
I don't see how any of you can support Robert Johnson as a starter.  Frankly, I want almost throw up in my mouth everytime I think about getting to my seats and seeing him call the plays in the huddle on Sept 2.

Robert Johnson may be an improved passer... scrambler.... etc.  But one thing didn't change from his freshman year to his sophomore year, and it surely wont change into his Junior year....  and that's his awareness.

I cannot tell you how many times we have had a 3rd and 15 and RJ will dump it in the flats.  He absolutely refuses to pass it farther that 15 yards.  Please... somebady tell me how many completions RJ had in 7 games as a starter that went over 15 yards.  I bet over half of them were YACs anyways.

Bottom Line, RJ has no awareness in the game.  Prime example was a play against Georgia last year.  2nd and 10, RJ does a 5 step drop and looks for his hot route.  Hot route has single coverage he doesnt throw, second route is past 15 yards and he doesnt throw.  RJ takes off for the sidelines after being chased out of the pocket.....  At this point a quarterback would do these things

A)  Chuck it out of bounds since you are outside the tackles and take a 3rd and 10
B)  Make a Sophomore mistake and try to hit a receiver that has come back to you

The answer is obviously A, maybe B.  RoJo went with plan C and gave us a 3rd and 18 instead of a 3rd and 10.  What a ridiculous play... all he had to do was throw it out of bounds instead of running out of bounds.  RJ has NO FIELD AWARENESS.  He couldnt tell you if it was 1st down, 4th down, 3 yards to go, 4th quarter, halftime....  clueless.....  which is exactly what you are if you think RJ wont screw up Sept. 2.  Period.

The truth is Harsh.

How do you know his awareness hasn't improved? From what the people who've attended practice have said, his awareness has improved a great deal.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Landonhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 16, 2006, 11:56:19 am

The truth is Harsh.

How do you know his awareness hasn't improved? From what the people who've attended practice have said, his awareness has improved a great deal.

Exactly...  We have no reason not to trust Gus and Alex...none...  So get over it people...

Hollywood_HOGan

The truth is Harsh.

Holy geez. I doubt RJ too but c'mon. He's a college kid.

If Gus and Alex thinks he should start, bring it on. I trust those two a million times more than the nutt.

PigMan

The coaches say he's ready.  That is good enough for me.

DevilHog

Clint was terrible until his junior year. I one point, if I remember correctly, he had more int. than completions. I'm extremely skeptical of Johnson, but we will be forced to see what happens.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: DevilHog on August 16, 2006, 12:01:58 pm
Clint was terrible until his junior year. I one point, if I remember correctly, he had more int. than completions. I'm extremely skeptical of Johnson, but we will be forced to see what happens.

Um not exactly true. Clint broke the passing yards for a season that year.

Had 387 yards against LSU.

But yes he did improve alot from his soph to jr seasons.

If Gus and Alex think RJ is ready, bring it on and lets see what he can do this year.

ConwayHog

Because Arkansas is 0-0 alltime in practice events.  When the lights come on, let me know how his awareness is.  He had great PRACTICE awareness last year as well.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on August 16, 2006, 12:04:59 pm

If Gus and Alex think RJ is ready, bring it on and lets see what he can do this year.

I agree, sure we all want to see what mitch can do, but If he cant do head and shoulders better right now and Gus and alex think its for the best, lets go.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Hawgon

I think most of the doubt about Johnson is because of the nature of his shortcomings.  It is not talent that holds him down, it is the mental aspect of the game.  We all witnessed this several times.  On the infamous run out of bounds play against Vanderbilt, he had two guys open.

Malzahn and Wood can work and work with the guy and he can look great in practice.  But, until he does the mental things right many times over in game situations, there will be doubt.  It will also be shattering to his mental confidence if he only plays two or three series and is jerked in favor of giving MM a chance.

This just isn't a good situation all the way around.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on August 16, 2006, 12:10:48 pm

I agree, sure we all want to see what mitch can do, but If he cant do head and shoulders better right now and Gus and alex think its for the best, lets go.
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

EPB23

In a nutshell, that's all any of us should be concerned about.

NATEHOGG216

Hey fresh, I really think he might be a lil better this year with the help of some new receivers,  and as long as he can keep from throwing at their feet.

ConwayHog

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on August 16, 2006, 12:11:52 pm
Hey fresh, I really think he might be a lil better this year with the help of some new receivers,  and as long as he can keep from throwing at their feet.

Hey do you really want to hear me griping at the games this year? ;D

werehog

RoJo will be aware of the USC pass rush.

_Collin1

The RJ comparison I can come up with is who Clint replaced.....  Pete Burks.  And that's being nice.

_Collin1

Quote from: bigred7987 on August 16, 2006, 11:50:29 am
and the play you described happened how many times? once when he ran out of bounds and we lost THREE YARDS. 

He lost 8 yards on that particular play.  That happened more than once last season.  There are things you have to be able to manage as a quarterback...  play clock, game clock, when to throw out of bounds, etc.

I have never seen a Quarterback so unaware of the current situation.  I am also tired of all the people that are saying he is doing well in practice.  WAKEUP PEOPLE, its 2006 not 2005.  All the posts last year at this time were about how stellar he was in practice.

_Collin1

Quote from: PigMan on August 16, 2006, 12:00:21 pm
The coaches say he's ready.  That is good enough for me.

I guess 4-7 and 5-6 are good enough too?  If you are satisfied with everything that Houston says, you may as well join Bo and Chuck's Razorback Spin team.

HDale

The truth is Harsh.

The truth is Harsh.

Isn't that the game where he ran out of bounds 1 yard short of a first down without anyone within 5 yards of him? (on 3rd and 3)
I will always hate the Dork

Hog Belly

The truth is Harsh.

Totally irresponsible of you to say this. Trial and error is lifes best teacher. If he's the best we have at zero hour, play him.

GuvHog

Quote from: BigC51 on August 16, 2006, 12:28:51 pm

He lost 8 yards on that particular play.  That happened more than once last season.  There are things you have to be able to manage as a quarterback...  play clock, game clock, when to throw out of bounds, etc.

I have never seen a Quarterback so unaware of the current situation.  I am also tired of all the people that are saying he is doing well in practice.  WAKEUP PEOPLE, its 2006 not 2005.  All the posts last year at this time were about how stellar he was in practice.

It's you who should wake up. You're correct, it is 2006 but you're still living in 2005.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pork Twain

The truth is Harsh.
+1 for you for finding another dead horse to beat.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hog Belly

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 16, 2006, 12:39:06 pm

It's you who should wake up. You're correct, it is 2006 but you're still living in 2005.

Absolutely! Everyone keeps refering to "HE" lost this yardage, "HE" lost this game. It is my guess that these people have never played a TEAM sport in their life or they would understand that these guys win and loose AS A TEAM. I HAVE NEVER seen an interview where 1 player takes credit for the win. Very irresponsible for this kind of attitude and post.

Salvaboar Dali

The truth is Harsh.

Awareness doesn't improve with experience? That runs against all logic.

TulsaHogFan

BigC51, quick question, where did you sit when you went to practices?

taintlint

The truth is Harsh.

He sucks

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on August 16, 2006, 12:47:29 pm

I got $100 that his spot is "home"

Landonhog

You probably need to define which year... '05 or '06....  They're one in the same to him...

Pork Twain

Quote from: taintlint on August 16, 2006, 12:58:49 pm

The truth is Harsh.

He sucks
Great post and way to make yourself out to be a simpleton (that's a dumbass)...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on August 16, 2006, 01:02:52 pm

Its been 20 minutes and i still don't have an answer from him.  It shows he is online, so whats keeping him.

Btw i am not touching that bet with a 20 foot pole.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on August 16, 2006, 01:08:39 pm

Its been 20 minutes and i still don't have an answer from him.  It shows he is online, so whats keeping him.

Too bad. He might have answered "work".  :)

hog caller

well, he still looks at Monk all the time and if Monk is not open he takes off running. this isn't going to work in sept.

_Collin1

Im talking to the people pushing for RoJo to start.  There is a poll out on a post somewhere here on Hogville where its 50/50 on him being the starter.

_Collin1

Quote from: Hog Belly on August 16, 2006, 12:42:29 pm

Absolutely! Everyone keeps refering to "HE" lost this yardage, "HE" lost this game. It is my guess that these people have never played a TEAM sport in their life or they would understand that these guys win and loose AS A TEAM. I HAVE NEVER seen an interview where 1 player takes credit for the win. Very irresponsible for this kind of attitude and post.

Get off your high horse, the poster... ME, has played 11 years of football, 18 years of baseball, and 7 years of softball. 

I didnt blame RoJo for the loss people.  I said he doesnt have the awareness.  Argue that.

_Collin1

There is an option to be logged on "forever".  Sorry I didnt immediately reply to your requests.  I am leaving for practice now...  see you down there.

_Collin1

Quote from: Hog Belly on August 16, 2006, 12:32:28 pm

The truth is Harsh.

Totally irresponsible of you to say this. Trial and error is lifes best teacher. If he's the best we have at zero hour, play him.

He wasn't the best.   The kid with the Redshirt on as a true freshman for the first 7 games was the best at zero hour.

_Collin1

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on August 16, 2006, 12:44:09 pm

The truth is Harsh.

You're completely wrong.  There are many examples in life where awareness has nothing to do with experience.  As a quarterback of a D1 school you should be able to manage a game.  Period.

southeasthog

Also if anyone remembers, Clint would not throw the ball away until his junior year. He would always stay in the pocket too long and either try to force it or get sacked. His "awareness" and the coaches on his butt to throw it away if nothing was there didn't click with him until then. Rojo may improve in this area with AW working with him.

Um not exactly true. Clint broke the passing yards for a season that year.

Had 387 yards against LSU.

But yes he did improve alot from his soph to jr seasons.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: BigC51 on August 16, 2006, 06:08:12 pm

There is an option to be logged on "forever".  Sorry I didnt immediately reply to your requests.  I am leaving for practice now...  see you down there.

First one?

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: BigC51 on August 16, 2006, 06:11:14 pm

The truth is Harsh.

You're completely wrong.  There are many examples in life where awareness has nothing to do with experience.  As a quarterback of a D1 school you should be able to manage a game.  Period.

Please share an example where a QB's awareness got worse. Also, how can we judge if RJ's awareness is improving or worsening with only one year of significant duty under his belt?

_Collin1

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on August 17, 2006, 12:20:46 am
Quote from: BigC51 on August 16, 2006, 06:08:12 pm

First one?

Would you like my blood type too?

_Collin1

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on August 17, 2006, 12:22:44 am

The truth is Harsh.

Please share an example where a QB's awareness got worse. Also, how can we judge if RJ's awareness is improving or worsening with only one year of significant duty under his belt?

I never said it wasa WORSE.  I said it was equal to 0. 

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: BigC51 on August 17, 2006, 08:32:23 am
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on August 17, 2006, 12:22:44 am

The truth is Harsh.

I never said it wasa WORSE.  I said it was equal to 0. 

Still, how do you judge this? What is your methodology?

Judging by the starting position, Mustains would have to be at least -1 on your scale.

_Collin1

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on August 17, 2006, 10:48:52 am
Still, how do you judge this? What is your methodology?

Judging by the starting position, Mustains would have to be at least -1 on your scale.

Awareness means the ability to run the game.  To get out of bounds, when its better to be sacked than try to pitch it off, when to call a timeout, when to run out of bounds and when to throw it out of bounds, where your receivers are... checking more than just your hot route....

I never brought Mitch into the conversation.  If I had to bring a player in that has an awareness of 10 (on a scale), Peyton Manning would be a 10.  Ball management, offensive line management, audibles, check offs, clock management.  These are all skills he completely lacks.