Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does negative posting hurt our recruiting?

Started by razorback4ever, July 24, 2006, 04:05:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback4ever

August 12, 2006, 01:05:43 pm #50 Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:11:05 pm by razorback4ever
Thanks for the opinions.
It seems to me that most posters agree, it doesn't help. It could make the difference in helping turn a recruit away if that recruit thought the fan base was wanting the head coach fired. This would only make a difference to someone who was on the fence, being recruited by Arkansas and several top programs. But isn't that the very person everybody is Bitch'n about us not signing? Complaining that we are only going after guys that are recruited by directional schools, never beating out the "BIG BOYS" for those 5 star recruits.
Those 5 star recruits usually are from out of state, and could be influenced by what they perceive to be the mood of the fan base, which in this boards case, is misleading.
I truly believe that the majority of the fans in this state are not represented favorably by the posting of a minority of vocal HDN haters, and this makes our fan base look bad to someone from the outside looking in. I understand that other boards have the same thing, that's really not the point.
This is Arkansas. The deck is already stacked against us when it comes to national perception. Do we really need to give people from out of state the idea that MOST hog fans are nothing but whining HDN haters, never satisfied with anything but championships? That is not the fan base I grew up with, and I don't believe it is now, but that is only because I live in this state and bleed Razorback red.
Arkansas has always had an advantage with it's fan base when it comes to recruiting and representing the university. Loyal and rabid from border to border, the whole state backed the Razorbacks, which makes us unique in college football. Our biggest asset is our rabid fan base.
If I didn't know better, this board would make me think MOST Arkansas fans are like the vocal bashers on this board. That is my main gripe, and my main point. A kid that is on the fence could base his decision on many things, including the crowds at ballgames and the overall mood of the fan base. You want to go not only where you think you can win, but also to where the fan base loves you and the team, creating a great college football atmosphere.
Today's world is different than even 10 years ago. The internet is used daily by many recruits. His perception of this university CAN be influenced by what he reads from it's fans on message boards, and help him make a decision about a school recruiting him. Again, I agree that winning makes the most difference, but an out of state kid sitting on the fence deciding between Arkansas and 5 other National Powers could be affected. Just my opinion, but I don't think I am far off.

SpareRib

August 12, 2006, 03:51:59 pm #51 Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:53:35 pm by Porkaholic
Quote from: razorback4ever on August 12, 2006, 01:05:43 pm

Today's world is different than even 10 years ago. The internet is used daily by many recruits. His perception of this university CAN be influenced by what he reads from it's fans on message boards, and help him make a decision about a school recruiting him. Again, I agree that winning makes the most difference, but an out of state kid sitting on the fence deciding between Arkansas and 5 other National Powers could be affected. Just my opinion, but I don't think I am far off.

This thread brought out some interesting observations.  Last night several folks mentioned having received solicitations from another site inviting them to join.  Why are they losing members?  Read the posting and the answer is pretty clear.  We ain't perfect, but we're sure more heads-up than that one.  I draw the same line for myself personally with this exercise that I did with team members in the workplace - that it's OK to offer fact-based criticism, but it's not OK to name- call or hurl insults.  That's really pretty chickensh*t.  Whether the subject is recruiting or player morale, I think the same principle applies.

Now, let's look for a moment at the good stuff.  The guys sitting in on the practices that take the time to post their observations have done an awesome job.  TRG with his interviews does an awesome job.  The obvious concern with the difference between fact and rumor, and the heated exchanges of opinion are all good.  This board may have been started to provide a quality information resource and a virtual clubhouse for its posters, but by it's sheer size and quality, I think it can be a positive voice for the U of A and the state of Arkansas.  I think this is an opportunity.

JMHO and I'm stickin' to it.

Pork Out!
WPS!!!

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

PigPusher

It creates a negative rather than a desireable positive atmosphere.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

eddie yarnell

This is my first post, so foregive me if I am not as polished as most. I have followed Hogville for the past two years, silently. I have read the good, bad, positive and negative and feel that post concerning Coachers, Administration, ect. have little effect concerning the recrutment of future RAZORBACKS.
   I however do feel that bashing current, past or future Razorbacks does have a negative affect on recruting, how much we will never know.

Hog Breath

Quote from: razorback4ever on August 12, 2006, 01:05:43 pm
Thanks for the opinions.
It seems to me that most posters agree, it doesn't help. It could make the difference in helping turn a recruit away if that recruit thought the fan base was wanting the head coach fired. This would only make a difference to someone who was on the fence, being recruited by Arkansas and several top programs. But isn't that the very person everybody is Bitch'n about us not signing? Complaining that we are only going after guys that are recruited by directional schools, never beating out the "BIG BOYS" for those 5 star recruits.
Those 5 star recruits usually are from out of state, and could be influenced by what they perceive to be the mood of the fan base, which in this boards case, is misleading.
I truly believe that the majority of the fans in this state are not represented favorably by the posting of a minority of vocal HDN haters, and this makes our fan base look bad to someone from the outside looking in. I understand that other boards have the same thing, that's really not the point.
This is Arkansas. The deck is already stacked against us when it comes to national perception. Do we really need to give people from out of state the idea that MOST hog fans are nothing but whining HDN haters, never satisfied with anything but championships? That is not the fan base I grew up with, and I don't believe it is now, but that is only because I live in this state and bleed Razorback red.
Arkansas has always had an advantage with it's fan base when it comes to recruiting and representing the university. Loyal and rabid from border to border, the whole state backed the Razorbacks, which makes us unique in college football. Our biggest asset is our rabid fan base.
If I didn't know better, this board would make me think MOST Arkansas fans are like the vocal bashers on this board. That is my main gripe, and my main point. A kid that is on the fence could base his decision on many things, including the crowds at ballgames and the overall mood of the fan base. You want to go not only where you think you can win, but also to where the fan base loves you and the team, creating a great college football atmosphere.
Unfortunatly........you hit the nail on the head.

Hog Fan from Camden

It can't help, that's for sure.   :o  :razorback:

WilsonHog

I'm sure it does. Probably more so than a losing conference record over the last 16 years, two Top 25 finishes in 16 years, no BCS bowls in 16 years, and five losing seasons in the last 16 years.

Hey, if we can just get everyone to be positive, that'd give HDN a new recruiting pitch.

"Son, the University of Arkansas is the place to be. You probably won't finish in the Top 25 or play in a BCS bowl, and at least once in your four years you'll probably have to play on a losing team. But when you log onto Hogville, brother the positive messages will be flowing!"

razorback4ever

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 13, 2006, 12:45:51 pm
I'm sure it does. Probably more so than a losing conference record over the last 16 years, two Top 25 finishes in 16 years, no BCS bowls in 16 years, and five losing seasons in the last 16 years.

Hey, if we can just get everyone to be positive, that'd give HDN a new recruiting pitch.

"Son, the University of Arkansas is the place to be. You probably won't finish in the Top 25 or play in a BCS bowl, and at least once in your four years you'll probably have to play on a losing team. But when you log onto Hogville, brother the positive messages will be flowing!"

That's fine, we know where you stand on this issue. I do think you are taking the subject way to literally, trying to drive home your point. I too agree that winning and losing make the most difference in recruiting, and I have admitted so several times before. Will you at least admit that a fence sitting 4-5 star recruit from out of state COULD be affected by reading negative post on this board? As to your statement about positive posting, sarcasm isn't needed.
I have never been a DARKSIDER, even though I have been very unhappy with the last few seasons. I have been very frustrated with HDN, just like many others. I however, believe circumstances have placed us in this position that were not entirely HDN's fault. The head coach catches the blame when things don't go right. I understand that. If the investigation had not taken place, I would have been calling for Nutt's head after back to back losing seasons. With the investigation, I gave him a pass until that affect was gone. This is the first year our seniors and juniors were not recruited under that investigation. Do I have illusions that we are now a Miami or FSU, no. But given the chance we have to start winning and recruiting better, I feel that those 4-5 star recruits the BIG BOYS are after COULD base a decision on many things, including what they read on this board.

Hog Breath

Funny how a bit of logic, applied to the dark side of a board, results in the form of a trash can.

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorback4ever on August 14, 2006, 10:10:31 am
Will you at least admit that a fence sitting 4-5 star recruit from out of state COULD be affected by reading negative post on this board?

No.

chiefsfan

If a recruit really based his collegiate decision over what fans on a message board say about the program, then he probably isnt going to make a great decision...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hawgndaaz

no, back to back losing seasons, HN, Markuson, and NWA hurt recruiting

Richard_white

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on August 15, 2006, 12:01:43 am
no, back to back losing seasons, HN, Markuson, and NWA hurt recruiting

NWA hurts recruiting?  How is that?  Is it the mountains?