Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cronin for Closer?

Started by DeCori Green Eggs and Birmingham, June 03, 2017, 01:53:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeCori Green Eggs and Birmingham

I haven't seen this discussed (I keep up pretty well, but certainly could have missed it), but what do you think about using Cronin in a true closer role for the tourney run? A hard to track 93 mph from the left side would really add something for us (it would arguably fill our biggest weakness). Teams have no info on him and, most importantly, he seems to have the perfect demeanor for it.

southarkhog06

I imagine it will remain "closer by committee", but he is certainly making his case on the field.

hawg1221

He needs to get better command. Yes he strikes out a lot of people, but you can't keep getting to 3-2 counts in big time situations

Literally everyone in our bullpen does that, particularly when they are in to "close" a game. I'm just mostly going off demeanor and difficulty to track pitches here. Plus, until he actually starts giving up baserunners and runs I am not overly concerned with efficiency.

hawg1221

Yes, to a certain degree you're right. The closer should be someone who can handle the most pressure on the mound. Do you feel confident that with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game with 2 outs that he has enough control to get the out without walking the guy?

dotnet

This looks like it's a closer by committee situation, and I think it'll remain that way. There are 3-5 guys who can strike out the side if they're on. There are issues with it, but it's not a terrible situation

Realistically I'm not sure we have anyone I'd feel great about in that situation, but there are few people in the country that you'd feel good about there (Jackson was amazing when he was the guy, but no one would have felt good about him in that situation). I'd feel as good about Cronin from what I've seen as I would anyone else, but the coaches know him much better than I do. And to be clear, I'm not opposed to the situational committee. As noted, we have several guys you could feel good about in any given situation. Cronin just looks like he wants the ball anytime, anyplace and those are the types of guys you want pitching when it matters most.

hawg1221

I will say he is gifted and I am excited about his future.

rzrbkman

He has pitched a total of 17.0 innings this season. There is some reason that DVH  does not use him more.

SquidBilly

I more like Reindl in a closer role.  Has good command of his stuff.

Cronin came in against LSU in the SECCG and looked very nervous but got the job done on the lefty and was immediately pulled.  I absolutely didn't agree with pulling him there as I knew we didn't have a sure fire anyone coming in but DVH is the coach and I am sure he had a plan and a good reason to pull him after one man.  I would like to hear the reason.  I would guess Coach wanted lefty on lefty and righty on righty.

TebowHater

Quote from: 12247 on June 03, 2017, 06:27:25 pm
Cronin came in against LSU in the SECCG and looked very nervous but got the job done on the lefty and was immediately pulled.  I absolutely didn't agree with pulling him there as I knew we didn't have a sure fire anyone coming in but DVH is the coach and I am sure he had a plan and a good reason to pull him after one man.  I would like to hear the reason.  I would guess Coach wanted lefty on lefty and righty on righty.

The reason was he pitched 70+ pitches two days before and was sore. He was only ever brought in to face that one batter (regardless of outcome) and DVH felt bad even doing that. Though I and many tried to explain this in the game thread at the time (but many were still upset), DVH said this in one of his interviews this week, confirming it.

LRHawg

jimmur74

NO thanks

Quote from: DeCori Green Eggs and Birmingham on June 03, 2017, 01:53:05 pm
I haven't seen this discussed (I keep up pretty well, but certainly could have missed it), but what do you think about using Cronin in a true closer role for the tourney run? A hard to track 93 mph from the left side would really add something for us (it would arguably fill our biggest weakness). Teams have no info on him and, most importantly, he seems to have the perfect demeanor for it.

BigSexyHog

Horrible outing tonight.  Dude couldn't throw strikes to d
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room