Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Hogs on Collegiate Baseeball All America teams (3 teams)

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 01, 2017, 03:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Not a surprise, although I don't think that there are really 34 pitchers better than Knight and Stephan.  But I do get that it's about the stats you put up this season, not "how good" you are.

Just posted for general information as we enter Regionals, when most of us will be seeing some teams we have not seen this season.

http://baseballnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-Collegiate-Baseball-All-Americans-Release.pdf

ucahogfan

It's laughable that you can have Diechmann as a 1st team AA on the list as well as Robertson on the 3rd team and not have either Spanberger or Biggers.  Now, Spanberger is at a different position, but it is a mystery.  Or having Hjelle at UK not only as an AA, but also SEC pitcher of the year with an ERA near 4.00.  He did have a good conference ERA, but he racked up a lot of wins because of the UK offense.

They also put Evan Skoug on the 2nd team as a C, but Koch gets left off entirely.  That is another head scratcher.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 01, 2017, 03:19:32 pm
It's laughable that you can have Diechmann as a 1st team AA on the list as well as Robertson on the 3rd team and not have either Spanberger or Biggers.  Now, Spanberger is at a different position, but it is a mystery.  Or having Hjelle at UK not only as an AA, but also SEC pitcher of the year with an ERA near 4.00.  He did have a good conference ERA, but he racked up a lot of wins because of the UK offense.

They also put Evan Skoug on the 2nd team as a C, but Koch gets left off entirely.  That is another head scratcher.
I love Spanberger and Biggers, but I do not think it is that crazy that those 2 got it over him.

Spanberger had a lower OB%, batting avg, RBI total, Slugging %, stolen bases, and more strikeouts than Deichmann. Robertson had more HRs, RBI, stolen bases, slugging %, lower ob% but still close to Biggers', and better fielding % at the same position. I definitely think you could make an argument for Biggers over Robertson, but not Deichmann.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 01, 2017, 03:49:01 pm
I love Spanberger and Biggers, but I do not think it is that crazy that those 2 got it over him.

Spanberger had a lower OB%, batting avg, RBI total, Slugging %, stolen bases, and more strikeouts than Deichmann. Robertson had more HRs, RBI, stolen bases, slugging %, lower ob% but still close to Biggers', and better fielding % at the same position. I definitely think you could make an argument for Biggers over Robertson, but not Deichmann.

If Koch didn't wear down from catching so much... or Spanberger hit against cream puffs half as well as conference - it would be a different story

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 01, 2017, 03:49:01 pm

I should also consider that they play different positions.  Spanberger was primarily at 1B this year while Diechmann was an OF.  The OF crop was much weaker than the 1B crop this year; however, Spanberger had the majority of his stats against SEC competition after a horrendously slow start.  If Spanberger did to non-con teams what he did to SEC teams, he would have like 25-30 HRs and 75+ RBIs.  It is just a shame that he had such a slow start.

Missouri State has 3 AAs on that list in Berger, Eirman, and Fromson who are all on the 2nd team.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 01, 2017, 04:32:53 pm
If Koch didn't wear down from catching so much
Which is exactly why we need Casey Opitz to come in and handle some catching duties as a freshman next year.  Especially during the week and having Koch DH during those games so we don't lose his bat.