Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Selection Process / RPI de-emphasized

Started by razCzar, May 31, 2017, 12:16:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razCzar

This is a comprehensive look at the regionals selection process from D1baseball. 

Good read - maybe with a few surprises. 

Even the comments section made some good points on RPI's failings.

Regional Reaction: Striving For Consistency
By Mark Etheridge – D1 Baseball
https://d1baseball.com/analysis/regional-reaction-striving-consistency/

High points:
-- RPI: "one of many tools in our tool box". (Sidwell)
-- Losing conference records hurt.
-- Forty wins was a magic number
-- Conference RPI was described as not being part of the selection criteria.
-- Perhaps, program prestige and branding can help
-- Evaluations from the Regional Advisory Committees (RAC)
-- The national seeds went according to expectations (and mostly down the RPI line)

BroyledNutts

I do not trust the RACs at all ... where most of the gerrymandering and privilege program bias can occur ...

Heard Sidwell say in an interview during the ACC Championship that OOC scheduling of quality opponents may or may not help a team, but scheduling weak OOC definitely hurts when considering teams against others in their RAC area ... that was one of the considerations that punished Virginia this year ... unless you're LSU of course, then you can stay home and play all the Louisiana schools for the first 21 and the RAC will consider it as a quality OOC cause Sidwell is a somebody with Tulane ...

Dr. Starcs

The committee will use any number of criteria to justify their decisions. Even if it contradicts itself.

Having said that, I think they did a good job for the most part this year, but I'd like for them to seed 1-16 and it sounds like that's in the near future.

Kevin

they can justify whatever they do. although many times they contradict themselves, as they talk about each team
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22