Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME #1 THREAD: #1 ARKANSAS (42-17) vs #4 ORAL ROBERTS (42-14)

Started by SPAL, May 29, 2017, 01:39:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

#1 Arkansas vs #4 Oral Roberts  at Fayetteville, Arkansas
                                    FRIDAY @7PM Central

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2017 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL
                                    ROAD TO OMAHA GAME THREAD

#1 ARKANSAS (42-17) VS #4 ORU (42-14)

First Pitch is set for 7:00 PM CT and WILL NOT BE TELEVISED. This game will be streamed live online on WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN app. also.

THIS IS A DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHICKS3636 will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks#1, A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, Maddhog,  Wisco Pig, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, ucahogfan, will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

jry04

I posted this in the other thread, but who do you guys think will/should start game 1? Murphy has done a great job lately getting us out of a jam v MSU and throwing 7 scoreless against a national seed Florida team. He will have to pitch and win at some point for us to win the regional, so  do we do it against the 4 seed in game 1 or in a potential championship game v OSU/MSU's 4th or 5th pitcher? I say go Knight/Stephan in games 1 and 2 and worry about the rest of the pitching after starting 2-0.

One thing I will say is Murphy is probably better than any weekend starter ORU faced this year in conference. Literally every team in the conference had a 200+ RPI, and ORU played the 250th ranked schedule. They are a solid team and could beat us, but they are untested.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

N HOG

I agree with the post which said there basically is no 4 Seed in our region.

Got to go with Stephan or Knight.

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on May 29, 2017, 01:44:24 pm
Got to start one of the studs. Oru is no push over.
I agree they aren't, and I agree we need to start our studs. However, starting Murphy doesn't necessarily mean you think they are a pushover. Him or Taco will have to start a game this week if we plan on winning the regional. It all comes down to who do you think is a better matchup for them? The 4 seed ORU in game 1 or in a game 3/4 championship game against potentially MSU/OSU? I think ORU only has 2 lefties in their order, so it is probably wise to save Murphy.

ucahogfan

Quote from: N HOG on May 29, 2017, 01:46:55 pm
I agree with the post which said there basically is no 4 Seed in our region.

Got to go with Stephan or Knight.
ORU is definitely a 4 seed.  They are a strong 4 seed, but the resume screams 4 seed.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 29, 2017, 01:51:29 pm
ORU is definitely a 4 seed.  They are a strong 4 seed, but the resume screams 4 seed.
That is what I was thinking. Good team, but their only top 50 wins came in mid-week games. It is hard to get a real good feel for them when you don't play anyone outside the top 200 in your conference.

Hawgphish

N HOG

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2017, 01:53:25 pm
That is what I was thinking. Good team, but their only top 50 wins came in mid-week games. It is hard to get a real good feel for them when you don't play anyone outside the top 200 in your conference.

How many top 50 wins does our 2 Seed have?

jry04

Quote from: N HOG on May 29, 2017, 02:11:18 pm
How many top 50 wins does our 2 Seed have?
0-3 v top 50 and 10-9 v the top 100. 108th ranked SOS. Weak pitching, and from what I can tell on their message board they have had a ton of problems at catcher in the last few weeks. They have 2 guys who can crush the ball with 22 and 19 HRs. Burger is a potential 1st round pick.

SPAL

This is a very winnable regional. I'm more concerned with game 1 than I am game 2. ORU with that lefty is a tough out.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 02:18:11 pm
This is a very winnable regional. I'm more concerned with game 1 than I am game 2. ORU with that lefty is a tough out.
Are they for sure throwing him? I know it makes sense from a matchup standpoint, but he literally hasn't thrown a game 1 all year. They have gone with Bryce Howe or McGregor all season long as their Friday night guy. It started with Howe the first few series, then by conference play it was McGregor every week.

jry04

I looked at the ORU message board. They do not know who they are throwing. They noticed we have a worse record v LHP, but said their normal game 1 starter is McGregor, so they would be moving the rotation around if they start Ausua.

Also, they have posters saying we are the weakest 1 seed and this regional is best case scenario. I am glad they feel that way. Hopefully their team does, too. One poster even said if they win this they are probably going to TCU or DBU, and completely omitted the possibility of UVA winning the Fort Worth regional.

GuvHog

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2017, 02:24:02 pm
Are they for sure throwing him? I know it makes sense from a matchup standpoint, but he literally hasn't thrown a game 1 all year. They have gone with Bryce Howe or McGregor all season long as their Friday night guy. It started with Howe the first few series, then by conference play it was McGregor every week.

That's a good question. Their big lefty has been their Saturday night starter all year. It will be interesting to see of ORU changes their rotation for the regional.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2017, 02:28:22 pm
I looked at the ORU message board. They do not know who they are throwing. They noticed we have a worse record v LHP, but said their normal game 1 starter is McGregor, so they would be moving the rotation around if they start Ausua.

Also, they have posters saying we are the weakest 1 seed and this regional is best case scenario. I am glad they feel that way. Hopefully their team does, too. One poster even said if they win this they are probably going to TCU or DBU, and completely omitted the possibility of UVA winning the Fort Worth regional.

I don't know, but they should. I assumed they were smart enough to throw their ace against us. Maybe they aren't if they are saying that other stuff.

BroyledNutts

I posted this in the ORU by the numbers thread - SPAL, remove this if it appears redundant :
Some ORU Pitching meat to chew on (56 games):

Average about 9 SO, 4BB per 9 innings
Opponents bat .246 against
Average 1/2 HR per 9 given up
Allow a little over 8 hits per 9
Average crowd they play in front of is a little over 1,000 (road games)
Against power 5 schools, no pitcher threw more than 7 innings(Ausau), most averaged 3 - there are a lot of games, even in conference, where 5 or more pitchers were used - it appears they change pitchers frequently
Most of their outs against P5 teams were induced by fly outs

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason in their rotation as to who starts...they have three pitchers with the most starts on the team (McGinn 15, Ausua 14, McGregor 13) but they have 6 guys with 18 or more appearances(132 total app), and of those 6 there are only 5 starts, but 177 total innings pitched, as compared to 249 total innings for the three starters ... Kyler Stout(33/12, 1.72) is there closer apparently, with 27 of those non-starter appearances, with 11 saves and 31.1 total innings pitched...Glaze, Howe, and McCutchin seem to be the go to relievers, with 69 appearances and 105 total innings pitched.

jry04

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 02:32:00 pm
That's a good question. Their big lefty has been their Saturday night starter all year. It will be interesting to see of ORU changes their rotation for the regional.
He has actually been their game 3 starter all season. He has not started anything but game 3 this season.

He lost to DBU and Hawaii this year, but beat Alabama giving up just 1 run in 6 innings. Those are the 3 best teams he has pitched to all year, and Alabama's offense is miserable.

GuvHog

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2017, 02:50:16 pm
He has actually been their game 3 starter all season. He has not started anything but game 3 this season.

He lost to DBU and Hawaii this year, but beat Alabama giving up just 1 run in 6 innings. Those are the 3 best teams he has pitched to all year, and Alabama's offense is miserable.

Okay I stand corrected. My bad. Did he start in game 3 against North Dakota State. If so, that's the only one of the three against them that ORU won.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 02:53:38 pm
Okay I stand corrected. My bad. Did he start in game 3 against North Dakota State. If so, that's the only one of the three against them that ORU won.
Yes, it was Ausau in game 3 ...and he did go 7 innings, so I need to correct my info...

PeabodyHawg

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2017, 02:28:22 pm

These are some of the same people who continue to give money to the Oral Roberts family.....

woodhog14

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2017, 01:42:13 pm
I posted this in the other thread, but who do you guys think will/should start game 1? Murphy has done a great job lately getting us out of a jam v MSU and throwing 7 scoreless against a national seed Florida team. He will have to pitch and win at some point for us to win the regional, so  do we do it against the 4 seed in game 1 or in a potential championship game v OSU/MSU's 4th or 5th pitcher? I say go Knight/Stephan in games 1 and 2 and worry about the rest of the pitching after starting 2-0.

One thing I will say is Murphy is probably better than any weekend starter ORU faced this year in conference. Literally every team in the conference had a 200+ RPI, and ORU played the 250th ranked schedule. They are a solid team and could beat us, but they are untested.

DVH has said Stephan will start Friday and Knight on Saturday.

jry04

Quote from: woodhog14 on May 30, 2017, 10:49:42 am
DVH has said Stephan will start Friday and Knight on Saturday.
Yes, I know. At the time of my quoted post yesterday he had not.

woodhog14

JHicks3636

I've got this first game for us guys. I'm sending cigarettes, liquor and hookers over to the ORU hotel on Thursday night.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 30, 2017, 11:02:01 am
I've got this first game for us guys. I'm sending cigarettes, liquor and hookers over to the ORU hotel on Thursday night.
Don't forget to pull the fire alarm at 3 am Friday.

-phil

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 30, 2017, 11:45:38 am

-phil
That one is all me. What hotel?

Double elimination, yes? Best case for us would be 3 straight wins? Or can we win it in 2? I'm so braindead right now

HogFansReunited

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 30, 2017, 11:52:16 am
That one is all me. What hotel?

Double elimination, yes? Best case for us would be 3 straight wins? Or can we win it in 2? I'm so braindead right now

It would take 3 straight wins.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

JHicks3636

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 30, 2017, 11:45:38 am

I'm going for suspensions rather than making them tired. Have you ever seen the contract that every student, faculty memeber and employee must sign at ORU? The morals clauses would have had me expelled about 5 seconds after I stepped on campus.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 30, 2017, 12:02:20 pm
I'm going for suspensions rather than making them tired. Have you ever seen the contract that every student, faculty memeber and employee must sign at ORU? The morals clauses would have had me expelled about 5 seconds after I stepped on campus.

I just read their moral clause, no way I would make it. Not sure how they can get away with the biblical stuff. I went to a private Baptist College and it wasn't even close to that bad.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

SPAL

SPAL

If anyone would like to cover PBP on Saturday, pm one of us or Chime in here.

CJ HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 30, 2017, 12:43:23 pm
Is it Friday yet?
Are we gonna have a Pick'ems contest this year? I need to see if my picker works...

trippigs

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 30, 2017, 11:58:07 am
It would take 3 straight wins.
[/quo

I hope to be there for 2 of them....couldn't make the Saturday game so we gave our tickets to friends. Go jpgs

SPAL

Quote from: CJ HOG on May 30, 2017, 02:31:14 pm
Are we gonna have a Pick'ems contest this year? I need to see if my picker works...

Wilson is the guy that usually sets that up. If he doesn't, we can set up a much less user friendly version..

JHicks3636

This isn't life or death but I don't want to upset any of our fans. As you know when I do pbp I like to make up nick names for the opposition. I don't do anything profane but I may be a little irreverent at times. Will anyone be offended if I do this for Oral Roberts since they are a designated religious university? Please note that I'm not worried about upsetting the visitors.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 30, 2017, 07:41:58 pm
This isn't life or death but I don't want to upset any of our fans. As you know when I do pbp I like to make up nick names for the opposition. I don't do anything profane but I may be a little irreverent at times. Will anyone be offended if I do this for Oral Roberts since they are a designated religious university? Please note that I'm not worried about upsetting the visitors.

Your good ... have fun.

ricepig

Only if we lose..........

Wisco Pig

Please do not incur the wrath of 900-ft. Jesus.

Birminghog

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 30, 2017, 08:08:38 pm
Please do not incur the wrath of 900-ft. Jesus.

90 ft., but whatever.

I guess this is not the right time for me to tell the one about the guy who sent his dog to the Oral Roberts Obedience School?

hogfan14

FAYETTEVILLE — Oral Roberts University Coach Ryan Folmar said junior left-hander Miguel Ausua (11-2, 1.67 ERA) will start against the Arkansas Razorbacks Friday night when the teams play in the NCAA regional at Baum Stadium.

Ausua, 6-0 and 180 pounds, primarily was a reliever at Panola (Texas) Junior College, but the Puerto Rico native has been a workhorse for the Golden Eagles this season. He has pitched 86 1/3 innings in 15 games, including 14 starts.

"He's got good stuff," Folmar said. "He's pitched in our rotation all year long and been extremely consistent.

"He's been the same guy every time he's gone out and taken the ball this year."

Ausua's fastball hits between 86 and 90 miles per hour, Folmar said, and he also throws a slider, curveball and changeup. He has 79 strikeouts and 27 walks.

"He's been that guy that's won a lot of big games for us," Folmar said. "He can give you problems in a lot of different ways."

So he's crafty lefty?

"That he is," Folmar said. "That he is."

LRHawg

Can't fault them for going with what's worked against us. Too bad he has to face us after we've had a few days to stew over losing to LSU. Boys're gonna be fired up.

jry04

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 30, 2017, 11:35:05 pm
FAYETTEVILLE — Oral Roberts University Coach Ryan Folmar said junior left-hander Miguel Ausua (11-2, 1.67 ERA) will start against the Arkansas Razorbacks Friday night when the teams play in the NCAA regional at Baum Stadium.

Ausua, 6-0 and 180 pounds, primarily was a reliever at Panola (Texas) Junior College, but the Puerto Rico native has been a workhorse for the Golden Eagles this season. He has pitched 86 1/3 innings in 15 games, including 14 starts.

"He's got good stuff," Folmar said. "He's pitched in our rotation all year long and been extremely consistent.

"He's been the same guy every time he's gone out and taken the ball this year."

Ausua's fastball hits between 86 and 90 miles per hour, Folmar said, and he also throws a slider, curveball and changeup. He has 79 strikeouts and 27 walks.

"He's been that guy that's won a lot of big games for us," Folmar said. "He can give you problems in a lot of different ways."

So he's crafty lefty?

"That he is," Folmar said. "That he is."
Should be interesting. Great numbers but he has not done it against anyone of note, and had not pitched a game 1 all year so it will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

bighog2255

More info on Ausua from ORU website:

PRIOR TO ORU
Spent two seasons pitching at Panola College in Carthage, Texas, for head coach and former ORU coach Todd Shelton ... Was a first team all-conference selection in each season with the Ponies ... Made 21 appearances and two starts as a sophomore posting a 4-0 record with two saves, including one during the opening round of regionals against Alvin Community College ... Struck out 48 batters in 37.2 innings of work in 2016 tallying a 5.26 earned run average ... Pitched in 12 games during his freshman campaign going 0-4 with an 8.76 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 24.2 innings ... Helped Panola qualify for the NJCAA Region 14 Tournament both seasons ... Was a cum laude graduate from Josefa Velez Bauza High School in 2014 ... Also lettered in volleyball and track and field in high school ... Won a silver medal in the 4x400 relay at the 2013 Ponce Grand Prix ... Picked up a gold medal in the 4x400 relay at the state meet and was a finalist in the 400 meters.

bighog2255

Quote from: jry04 on May 31, 2017, 06:42:56 am
Should be interesting. Great numbers but he has not done it against anyone of note, and had not pitched a game 1 all year so it will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

He hasn't had many opportunities against good teams (their conference is awful), but he did pitch really well at Alabama:

Win, 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 31, 2017, 07:31:52 am
He hasn't had many opportunities against good teams (their conference is awful), but he did pitch really well at Alabama:

Win, 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K
My comment still stands. He has not done it against anyone. Alabama hit .260 as a team, and that was after they started to get on a bit of a roll in conference play. More most of the year they were hitting in the .240s-.250s. It was still a solid win because at the time that was a big game for them.

Against Hawaii he gave up 4 runs on 6 hits in 2.2 innings. Against DBU he gave up 3 runs on 6 hits in 3 innings. Against South Dakota State he gave up 4 runs on 7 hits in 5 innings. He has 2 shutout performances against North Dakota State. FYI, NDSU has a .261 batting average with 19 HRs against the 292nd ranked SOS. NDSU faced 0 top 50 opponents all season and still hits .261 as a team.

He threw 8.1 scoreless against WIU. Great performance against anyone, but they are also hitting .251 as a team with 12 HRs against the 269th ranked SOS. WIU faced 30 RPI 200+ teams and managed to hit like that as a team? He threw 6.2 scoreless v Omaha. Omaha is hitting .244 as a team against the 242nd ranked SOS. They won 12 games this year.

I don't mean to discredit the kid, but it is hard for him to strike fear into me when you dig beyond the surface other than the fact he is a lefty. Every good outing he has had has been against an absolutely terrible hitting team. He may come out and shut us down, but I will have to see it to believe it. What he did this season is great, but half our pitching staff would have a 1.50 ERA if we were able to face Miami, OH 36 times like ORU basically did. His, and the rest of the rest of the pitching staff's, numbers look great but how good are they really? When you see an ERA as low as his you think he must be killing it every game. He has given up runs and hits this year, but has canceled those games out against miserable opponents with great games. It hasn't been a steady season of 1 and 2 run games. It has been 4 runs and then 0 runs. I am more worried about their lineup, personally.

Kevin

over the years, soft tossing lefties have given the hogs problems. I remember Arizona state threw a lefty outfielder, at us, the guy threw like 6 shut out innings.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

So the four seed is throwing their Sunday guy? 

I get matchups, and this guy is clearly in the category of any good pitcher can shut down a good offense on any given day... but if this move scares you as an Arkansas fan, then you don't really think this team is good enough to get by TCU/Virgina/MSU/OSU/etc.

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on May 31, 2017, 08:26:22 am
over the years, soft tossing lefties have given the hogs problems. I remember Arizona state threw a lefty outfielder, at us, the guy threw like 6 shut out innings.
No doubt, we have struggled with them and could struggle Friday. I also think this lineup top to bottom is better than most lineups we have had under DVH.