Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Iron > Rattlesnake

Started by Big Papa Satan, April 13, 2006, 08:12:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Papa Satan

So I hook a brand new Titleist off the tee box on six this afternoon at Forrest City CC.  The ball hits a tree and bounces off about five feet into the woods.  I went to get my ball and heard some sound, like the ziiiiiiip sound when you cast off when you're fishing.

Fricking timber rattler was beside my ball.  Was about three feet long, big around as a roll of half-dollars, and mad as hell.  Apparently, Titleists and rattlers have some sort of feud or something.

Now, would it have cost me a stroke if I'd dropped away from Mr. Snake and let him have the ball?

Either way, I didn't wait to find out.  I beat his head in with my three iron.  I suppose Ping irons and snakes don't get along, either.

Nobody else would go in the woods after lost balls today after that.

pseudorabies

According to the Decisions on the Rules of Golf, a live snake is considered an outside agency and a dead one a loose impediment. Relief is provided for outside agencies. A loose impediment can be moved, as long as the ball isn't shifted.

In the case of a rattlesnake or dangerous situation, it would be unreasonable for the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair for the player to incur a penalty. A drop would be allowed, but not closer to the hole. If the ball and snake were in a hazard, a drop would be accepted in the same hazard or in another similar hazard that wasn't closer to the hole.

If it wasn't possible to drop in a hazard, the player would have the option of dropping outside of the hazard under a one-stroke penalty.

HamShank

Here's the lingo.  Also what you need to know should it happen on a green:

19-1. By Outside Agency
If a ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies except:

a. If a ball in motion after a stroke other than on the putting green comes to rest in or on any moving or animate outside agency, the player must, through the green or in a hazard, drop the ball, or on the putting green place the ball, as near as possible to the spot where the outside agency was when the ball came to rest in or on it, and

b. If a ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency except a worm or an insect, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and the stroke replayed.

If the ball is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: pseudorabies on April 13, 2006, 08:28:14 pmIn the case of a rattlesnake or dangerous situation, it would be unreasonable for the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair for the player to incur a penalty. A drop would be allowed, but not closer to the hole. If the ball and snake were in a hazard, a drop would be accepted in the same hazard or in another similar hazard that wasn't closer to the hole.

Ohhh.  None of us had a rule book handy and weren't quite sure what the rule was, so what I did was move the ball a club length from the woodline, no closer to the hole, and took no penalty. 

Missed a seven foot putt to miss par, though.

Boarcephus

Should have had your caddy get the ball.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Big Papa Satan

Boarcephus

You don't have your own caddy??  Bum.   I thought everyone on this board had their own caddy, cept me.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 13, 2006, 09:08:19 pm
You don't have your own caddy??  Bum.   I thought everyone on this board had their own caddy, cept me.

He hasn't swam the Rio Grande yet.

Boarcephus

Had not thought about it that way.  All I need to do is outbid Tyson or Georges up here and I can get my own.  Guarantee the guys in my group would love it.  Come to think of it, that would be a helluva gag to pull on them one weekend.  Go down, find a guy and give him $20 and follow me around with my clubs.  Is worth considering......

pseudorabies

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 13, 2006, 09:13:21 pm

thats just wrong.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: pseudorabies on April 13, 2006, 10:26:44 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 13, 2006, 09:13:21 pm
You don't have your own caddy??  Bum.   I thought everyone on this board had their own caddy, cept me.

thats just wrong.

But freaking hilarious.

Where is Fatty when we post such a PC comment like that?

Big Papa Satan

Perhaps Fatty isn't a golfer.

Hawg414

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 13, 2006, 08:12:03 pm
So I hook a brand new Titleist off the tee box on six this afternoon at Forrest City CC.  The ball hits a tree and bounces off about five feet into the woods.  I went to get my ball and heard some sound, like the ziiiiiiip sound when you cast off when you're fishing.

Fricking timber rattler was beside my ball.  Was about three feet long, big around as a roll of half-dollars, and mad as hell.  Apparently, Titleists and rattlers have some sort of feud or something.

Now, would it have cost me a stroke if I'd dropped away from Mr. Snake and let him have the ball?

Either way, I didn't wait to find out.  I beat his head in with my three iron.  I suppose Ping irons and snakes don't get along, either.

Nobody else would go in the woods after lost balls today after that.

actually, this exact scenario happened at the bell south (wasnt it the bell south?) two weeks ago.  cant recall the golfer - davis love perhaps - but just as the other posters said, he got a free drop no closer to the hole. 

if only Chubbs would have known this rule, he'd still have his hand. 

gwddog

chubbs didn't have a choice it was his last ball. well worth the risk to finish the tournament, he would still have one hand left worst case. anyway stuff happens.
back 2 back 2 back

gwddog

and by the way a bulldog would have played the lie! lol
back 2 back 2 back

Hawg414

Quote from: gwddog on April 14, 2006, 07:41:29 pm
chubbs didn't have a choice it was his last ball. well worth the risk to finish the tournament, he would still have one hand left worst case. anyway stuff happens.

haha.. youre right, it was his last ball.  i forgot about that. 

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: gwddog on April 14, 2006, 07:44:10 pm
and by the way a bulldog would have played the lie! lol

A Bulldog would've darn himself at the mere mention of a snake.

gwddog

you're probably right didn't say we wouldn't my comment was that we would have played the lie. evidently unlike a yellow jacket.
back 2 back 2 back

Big Papa Satan

You can't play a lie with darn dripping down your pants leg.

gwddog

thanks uncle ivan for the advise. i've not ever experianced that situation. and by the way that's a penalty for giving advise to the other team.
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 16, 2006, 12:03:49 am
You can't play a lie with Shiite dripping down your pants leg.
back 2 back 2 back