Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In-state recruiting strategy for WBB

Started by brs_hogfan, April 06, 2017, 08:44:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brs_hogfan

April 06, 2017, 08:44:00 am Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:20:45 pm by brs_hogfan
I believe there is an opportunity for the women's team to do something similar to what the men's team did with recruiting the talented Arkansas Hawks starting five (2018).  Specifically, the AAO Banshees have five 2020 D1 quality starters ... Sasha Goforth, Destiny Salary, Wyvette Mayberry, Coriah Beck, and Taylen Collens.  I think each of these are high major level players.  Last weekend, for example, they won a tournament in Tulsa and beat the Oklahoma Swarm Blue Star 17u team in the championship game.  That Swarm team beat the Banshees 17u team by 15 points in the same tournament.  I'm guessing that Mike Neighbors will be watching the tournament in Fayetteville this weekend where the Banshees are playing.  I am told he has already started reaching out to players on the team.

Update: I want to correct this slightly by noting that the Swarm team beat the Banshees Premier 17u team by 15 and not the AAO Banshees 17u team.  And the 2020 team mentioned above is the Banshees Premier 16u team.

psycHOGlogist

Sweet! Get them locked up!

Or at least start the process. ;-)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 06, 2017, 08:44:00 am
I believe there is an opportunity for the women's team to do something similar to what the men's team did with recruiting the talented Arkansas Hawks starting five (2018).  Specifically, the AAO Banshees have five 2020 D1 quality starters ... Sasha Goforth, Destiny Salary, Wyvette Mayberry, Coriah Beck, and Taylen Collens.  I think each of these are high major level players.  Last weekend, for example, they won a tournament in Tulsa and beat the Oklahoma Swarm Blue Star 17u team in the championship game.  That Swarm team beat the Banshees 17u team by 15 points in the same tournament.  I'm guessing that Mike Neighbors will be watching the tournament in Fayetteville this weekend where the Banshees are playing.  I am told he has already started reaching out to players on the team.
Hmmm, Mayberry and Beck sounds familiar. Is there any correlation there?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

brs_hogfan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 06, 2017, 09:11:46 am
Hmmm, Mayberry and Beck sounds familiar. Is there any correlation there?

Yep ... Lee Mayberry' and Corey Beck's daughters.

yraciv

IDK much about girl's high school basketball, but I know that some of those girls live in Fayetteville and are Razorback legacies. And I hear the Goforth girl is going to be a good one. Where do Collens and Salary play? What is their skill set?

brs_hogfan

Quote from: yraciv on April 06, 2017, 09:30:04 am
IDK much about girl's high school basketball, but I know that some of those girls live in Fayetteville and are Razorback legacies. And I hear the Goforth girl is going to be a good one. Where do Collens and Salary play? What is their skill set?
Destiny Salary plays for Jonesboro High School.  Taylen Collens in Muldrow, OK I think.  Both are superb athletes.  Salary is a wing -- fast and can elevate.  Collens is a power forward but who can run the floor and handle the ball well too.  Both probably need to improve their shooting.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 06, 2017, 09:29:38 am
Yep ... Lee Mayberry' and Corey Beck's daughters.
Good deal. Good bloodlines. If they play anything like their fathers they gone be alright and hopefully we as in Arkansas gone be alright.

ricepig

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 06, 2017, 09:37:57 am
Destiny Salary plays for Jonesboro High School.  Taylen Collens in Muldrow, OK I think.  Both are superb athletes.  Salary is a wing -- fast and can elevate.  Collens is a power forward but who can run the floor and handle the ball well too.  Both probably need to improve their shooting.

You rate Salary over Eaton?

brs_hogfan

Quote from: ricepig on April 06, 2017, 10:38:04 am
You rate Salary over Eaton?
No, obviously we should be targeting Eaton too and she is ahead of Salary in most areas (or at least was before her knee injury). I think Salary is more athletic but Eaton is a better ball handler and shooter. I was just drawing parallels between the recruiting of the 17u Hawks and what might done with the 2020 Banshees (I think they are called 16u Banshees but actually they are 2020's which would make them a 15u team so I'm a bit confused on that point). It's a rare opportunity to have an entire local AAU starting team of worthy recruits.

Eaton plays on a different AAU team -- Arkansas Mavericks Elite in L-R.

Gerald Gilber

you have to include 2020 Arkansas Mavericks and Lamar High School point guard Lakyn Sanders in this conversation, she will be in Fayetteville this weekend as well, She has played with and against every player listed and has shined
Can we play all our games at home????

brs_hogfan

Quote from: Gerald Gilber on April 06, 2017, 01:12:30 pm
you have to include 2020 Arkansas Mavericks and Lamar High School point guard Lakyn Sanders in this conversation, she will be in Fayetteville this weekend as well, She has played with and against every player listed and has shined

Agreed -- she is definitely another one we should be after.  The 2020 class is loaded.  Not mentioned in my original post because she plays on a different AAU team (Mavericks Ludgood team).

hitman warrior23

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 06, 2017, 08:44:00 am

No D1 coaches can even be at the event.

hitman warrior23

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 06, 2017, 01:16:12 pm
Agreed -- she is definitely another one we should be after.  The 2020 class is loaded.  Not mentioned in my original post because she plays on a different AAU team (Mavericks Ludgood team).

THANK YOU!!!! And agreed 2020 class is very loaded.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: hitman warrior23 on April 06, 2017, 01:25:19 pm
No D1 coaches can even be at the event.

Interesting. I didn't know there were different rules for D1 vs D2, D3, etc.

hitman warrior23

Talked to Collens last year they Were all about OSU very athletic player, very high Ceiling would be nice grab for anyone. And like Ive said about the 2020 class they can all compliment each other very well.

riccoar

brs_hogfan

Quote from: riccoar on April 07, 2017, 06:21:26 am
At this event or any event?
They can attend events during specified evaluation periods.  There will be some coaches at this weekend's event but apparently not D1 per Hitman Warrior23's post.

jackflash

where are the shooters going to come from in 2017

logic

Whether or not Arkansas has an outstanding 2020 class, matters little since most will leave the state.  80% of the top 100 classes of 2016 and 2017 committed to colleges outside of their home state.  Other than Jessica Jackson for the last 50 years almost every truly outstanding Arkansas girl basketball player did not play college basketball in Arkansas, and by all indications next year will no exception.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on April 08, 2017, 04:52:58 pm
Whether or not Arkansas has an outstanding 2020 class, matters little since most will leave the state.  80% of the top 100 classes of 2016 and 2017 committed to colleges outside of their home state.  Other than Jessica Jackson for the last 50 years almost every truly outstanding Arkansas girl basketball player did not play college basketball in Arkansas, and by all indications next year will no exception.

Logic you are either an eeyore or a troll.  And you seldom know what you are talking about Ruby Vaden came here, she was nearly as high ranked as JJ, Jordan Danberry came here, she was about the same.  Yes we have lost a few but we have gotten more than you seem to recall as well.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 08, 2017, 05:01:26 pm
Logic you are either an eeyore or a troll.  And you seldom know what you are talking about Ruby Vaden came here, she was nearly as high ranked as JJ, Jordan Danberry came here, she was about the same.  Yes we have lost a few but we have gotten more than you seem to recall as well.
Is name calling the best argument you can make. Just because you can list an exception doesn't change the fact that about 80% of outstanding girl basketball players leave that state.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on April 08, 2017, 05:44:45 pm
Is name calling the best argument you can make. Just because you can list an exception doesn't change the fact that about 80% of outstanding girl basketball players leave that state.

Dude I am trying to cut you some slack but I listed TWO very obvious exceptions.  If ignoring the facts the best you can do?  Do you have anything to add?  Concentrate on that.  I appreciate that you at least took a look at potential 2017 recruits still out there.  That is a step in the right direction.  Just try to be a little bit more positive.  The liabilities are only one side of any accounting ledger after all. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

brs_hogfan

April 09, 2017, 07:31:28 am #23 Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:46:59 am by brs_hogfan
Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 08, 2017, 06:54:05 pm
Dude I am trying to cut you some slack but I listed TWO very obvious exceptions.  If ignoring the facts the best you can do?  Do you have anything to add?  Concentrate on that.  I appreciate that you at least took a look at potential 2017 recruits still out there.  That is a step in the right direction.  Just try to be a little bit more positive.  The liabilities are only one side of any accounting ledger after all.

"logic" advocated using volunteer coaches for WBB to save money in his "Ladyback basketball is a lost cause thread".  It's hard to understand why he is even on the forum given his apparent disregard for WBB.

LadybackBBFan

Granted a lot of good high school players have left the state - this happens in every state.  However, here are some more names of outstanding players who have stayed and helped Arkansas be relevant in basketball: Sytia Messer, Shameka Christian, India Lewis, Sarah Pfiefer and if I did some research, I could probably come up with more.  Have the men's team kept the most talented players or have they gone to Kentucky recently.  I think the answer is obvious.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 09, 2017, 07:56:13 am
Granted a lot of good high school players have left the state - this happens in every state.  However, here are some more names of outstanding players who have stayed and helped Arkansas be relevant in basketball: Sytia Messer, Shameka Christian, India Lewis, Sarah Pfiefer and if I did some research, I could probably come up with more.  Have the men's team kept the most talented players or have they gone to Kentucky recently.  I think the answer is obvious.

exactly.  My point with logic in naming some exceptions to his general point was hopefully to get him to reexamine his premise.  I, like you, knew that with research I could name a lot of exceptions but know the most prominent ones.  But I didnt figure that the length of the list would dissuade his philosophical bent.  there are no doubt some who are as negative in some particular areas as logic, but that doesn't help build anything. Those who come to Arkansas want to help build the home team, the state, those who leave are looking to build something else.

riccoar

Well, in defense of Arkansas, this is the first elite hire for the Lady Razorbacks.  Hard to predict against Arkansas when you bring a guy in that has a record of big recruiting and his 3rd year as HC at Washington reached the Final 4 of the NCAAT.

logic

Quote from: riccoar on April 10, 2017, 07:47:14 am
Well, in defense of Arkansas, this is the first elite hire for the Lady Razorbacks.  Hard to predict against Arkansas when you bring a guy in that has a record of big recruiting and his 3rd year as HC at Washington reached the Final 4 of the NCAAT.
I hope that you are right but I have my doubts.  Time will tell and certainly the coach deserves time.

psycHOGlogist

This is not an in-state recruit, but rather than dredge up an old thread I thought I'd post it here. Talented JUCO forward from NEO is off the market.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/851879176638525441

Eager to hear some news one way or the other - staff hires, players staying or going, commits, visits ...

logic

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 09, 2017, 07:56:13 am
You are pointing out very good players based on their ranking in high school and I agree that many have played for Arkansas. However, almost all the elite players, those that were ranked in the top 10 to top 30 of their recruiting class played outside of Arkansas. In the last few years 2 or 3 elite boys have left the state; however, over the years at least since Sutton most have stayed.

flippinhogmana

Shameka Christon was as I recall the first player taken in the WNBA draft when she graduated from Arkansas. That is one in stater who stayed home for you.

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 11, 2017, 08:25:55 pm
Shameka Christon was as I recall the first player taken in the WNBA draft when she graduated from Arkansas. That is one in stater who stayed home for you.
That Shameka Criston turned out to be an elite player is more proof that recruiting is not a science.  Scottie Pippen is another Arkansas player that was not highly recruited and turned out to be an elite player.

flippinhogmana

Logic wasnt your general point "Whether or not Arkansas has an outstanding 2020 class, matters little since most will leave the state.  80% of the top 100 classes of 2016 and 2017 committed to colleges outside of their home state.  Other than Jessica Jackson for the last 50 years almost every truly outstanding Arkansas girl basketball player did not play college basketball in Arkansas, and by all indications next year will no exception" that the good athletes all leave the state?  Both LBBF and I have given you quite a few girls that refute your general assumption.  Now man up and see the picture a little bit brighter than what you were painting it, okay?

psycHOGlogist

Shameka Christon was the bluest of blue chip recruits at the time. She was EXTREMELY heavily recruited. It was not the LEAST bit surprising that she turned out to be an All-SEC (and indeed SEC POY)/WNBA caliber player.

If you don't believe me, here are some links to back it up:

Collen compares Jackson's ranking to Christon's here: http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Blue-Chip-forward-Jessica-Jackson-signs-with-Razorbacks-127233

ESPN had the Hogs' 2000 class ranked in the top 10, largely on the strength of Christon:
http://www.espn.com/recruiting/s/2000/0519/540172.html

And flippin and LBBF are completely correct - there have been MANY kids from Arkansas who were truly outstanding and played for the Hogs - in addition to those that LBBF named, how about Lonniya Bragg, Dana Cherry, Shanita Arnold, Ruby Vaden, and on and on.

logic

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 12, 2017, 11:29:09 pm
Shameka Christon was the bluest of blue chip recruits at the time. She was EXTREMELY heavily recruited. It was not the LEAST bit surprising that she turned out to be an All-SEC (and indeed SEC POY)/WNBA caliber player.

Collen compares Jackson's ranking to Christon's here: http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Blue-Chip-forward-Jessica-Jackson-signs-with-Razorbacks-127233

ESPN had the Hogs' 2000 class ranked in the top 10, largely on the strength of Christon:

And flippin and LBBF are completely correct - there have been MANY kids from Arkansas who were truly outstanding and played for the Hogs - in addition to those that LBBF named, how about Lonniya Bragg, Dana Cherry, Shanita Arnold, Ruby Vaden, and on and on.

Thank you.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 12, 2017, 11:29:09 pm

Shanita Arnold was the truth. Didn't she end up transferring or something?

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 18, 2017, 09:44:59 am
Shanita Arnold was the truth. Didn't she end up transferring or something?

Yes, she transferred after playing one year for both Gardner and Collen.  She transferred to either Arizona or Arizona State.

psycHOGlogist

Arizona, which is too bad because they have been perennially awful.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 18, 2017, 10:25:11 am
Arizona, which is too bad because they have been perennially awful.
Yeah, I think it was a bad move on her part. If the best women's basketball players in Arkansas actually went to Arkansas we could have a pretty good program.

brs_hogfan

Going back to my original post, I am told that Mike Neighbors and Lacey Goldwire have been in attendance at each of the first two 2020 Banshees team's games at the Adidas Gauntlet event in Phoenix this weekend.  So maybe he has the same idea!

brs_hogfan

Or I guess just looking at in-state recruiting hard in general per this tweet:  https://twitter.com/ARHoopsDillon/status/855922983822540800

He actually means all the Banshee teams playing in Phoenix.  They have a lot of other teams playing elsewhere.

psycHOGlogist

Get on 'em, Mike!! Thanks for the updates, brs!

brs_hogfan

https://twitter.com/ArkansasBanshee/status/857673253187440640

2019 Rokia Doumbia plays for the AAO Banshees 17u Adidas Gauntlet team. 

Based on how closely Mike Neighbors followed the four Banshees Gauntlet teams at the Phoenix Gauntlet event, I would be surprised if there are not more offers coming.  The above mentioned AAO Banshees 17u team and the Banshees Premier 16u team (which actually comprises all 2020's except one 2019 player) are both loaded with high major D1 quality players and both went undefeated.

psycHOGlogist

Cool - good to see us looking at 2019's in state. The 18s are obvious, and to a degree so are the 20's.

brs_hogfan

Well, that didn't take long.  Another one ...

https://twitter.com/ArkansasBanshee/status/857693513563111424

2020 Destiny Salary from Banshees Premier 16u team.  2020 Sasha Goforth also on that team (and already offered by UA).

hitman warrior23

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 27, 2017, 03:37:59 pm
Well, that didn't take long.  Another one ...

https://twitter.com/ArkansasBanshee/status/857693513563111424

2020 Destiny Salary from Banshees Premier 16u team.  2020 Sasha Goforth also on that team (and already offered by UA).

Huge Congrats! To bad he wasnt in Wichita
HA!   2020 is loaded!

psycHOGlogist

April 27, 2017, 05:04:49 pm #46 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:15:13 pm by psycHOGlogist
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 27, 2017, 03:14:12 pm
Cool - good to see us looking at 2019's in state. The 18s are obvious, and to a degree so are the 20's.

Let me correct myself. Pretty sure she's a TN kid who plays AAU with the Banshees.

Hogtied85

Have been looking at coach neighbors twitter he and devin cosper are following Jenna Staiti a 5* post player who is transferring from Maryland. He is also following a you lady from Jonesboro with the name Kayla Mitchell and Tatum Veitenheimer

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 27, 2017, 05:43:17 pm
Have been looking at coach neighbors twitter he and devin cosper are following Jenna Staiti a 5* post player who is transferring from Maryland. He is also following a you lady from Jonesboro with the name Kayla Mitchell and Tatum Veitenheimer

Not that it was still in any doubt but if DC is apparently helping recruit now, it certainly settles whether she is coming back or not.

psycHOGlogist

Tatum Veitenheimer is terrific, but she recently committed to Oklahoma. Dykes was recruiting her for a long time, but we did not make her list of finalists (when he was coach).

https://twitter.com/tatumballin4_32

Kayla Mitchell is another AAU player for the Banshees, a 2019 from Jonesboro. Here's her most recent highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?a=&v=gFGJ4Onw0oM