Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10 wrestlers of alltime

Started by hogfan064, May 30, 2006, 01:51:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

I'm going by in ring ability, impact on wrestling, persona, and charisma.  Here's what I think

1. Ric Flair-He had it all.  Could carry a 1 hour match, best talker ever, and put butts in the seats wherever he went.  Sadly WWE is turning him into a jobber, but even today he still can put on a good show at nearly 60

2. Hulk Hogan-Ok I hate the guy, but you got to have him up here.  He's a terrible performer, but his impact was greater than anyone.  He also had the most memorable turn ever when he joined Hall and Nash

3. Steve Austin-Few remember that at one point he was a good mat wrestler.  Brought the business back after a down period of nearly 10 years.  Great persona. 

4. HBK-Best in ring performer ever IMO.  Carried the company during the mid 90s.  Lots of charisma and still today will put on the best match of anyone.  The guy sacrifices his body for our entertainment

5. Gorgeous George-The inspiration behind every cocky character today.  He is really what brought us modern day sports entertainment.  Sure it was an entirely different era, but his impact will always be felt

6. Harley Race-The top guy in the late 70s and early 80s.  A real tough guy.  Even was a manager in the mid 90s in WCW.  Put Ric Flair over

7.  Brett Hart-Not a big Hart fan, but no doubt the guy could put on a great match.  Good charisma and his impact is felt more internationally than here in the US.  Carried the WWF for about 4 years in an awful era

8. Bruno Samartino-Held the belt for something like 7-9 years without losing.  When he did lost its said Italians everywhere wept.  When the WWWF was getting started he was the face of the company

9. Mick Foley-Ok, maybe not, but come on the guy can cut a promo better than anyone.  He sacrificed his body like noone ever has. His matches in Japan are legendary.  It can be said he helped put ECW on the map.  His name might not be as big as Austin or Hogan, but he made hardcore popular.

10. Andre the Giant-Not the best in ring performer, but he has to be on this list .  You can say Andre the Giant anywhere to anyone and they will know who you are talking about.  He also put over Hogan and was the biggest part of the biggest event in wrestling history

hydrophonic

I'll be thinking about my 10 between now and when I get home.  Maybe I'll get to it tonight, but I've got 8 hours of wrestling on the DVR and I bought Fight Night Round 3 last night so I'm not making any promises.  Not that any of y'all were going to be holding your breath until my all important list was up.   ;)

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 01:51:37 pm9. Mick Foley-Ok, maybe not, but come on the guy can cut a promo better than anyone.

I tend to have two different lists these days - one for old school type wrestlers and one for sports entertainers.  I tend to put Foley in the sports entertainment category and near the top.  He is in the same class as Hogan, The Rock, and The Undertaker - which is pretty good company for sports entertainers and not so great company for wrestlers.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

hogfan064

Quote from: hydrophonic on May 30, 2006, 02:04:00 pm
I'll be thinking about my 10 between now and when I get home.  Maybe I'll get to it tonight, but I've got 8 hours of wrestling on the DVR and I bought Fight Night Round 3 last night so I'm not making any promises.  Not that any of y'all were going to be holding your breath until my all important list was up.   ;)

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 01:51:37 pm9. Mick Foley-Ok, maybe not, but come on the guy can cut a promo better than anyone.

I tend to have two different lists these days - one for old school type wrestlers and one for sports entertainers.  I tend to put Foley in the sports entertainment category and near the top.  He is in the same class as Hogan, The Rock, and The Undertaker - which is pretty good company for sports entertainers and not so great company for wrestlers.

Yeah, but none of those guys did the things that Mick did in the ring.  Undertaker could be on the list.  Probably the best gimick ever.  Taker never really carried the company though.  In the mid 90s he was overshadowed by Hart and HBK and in the late 90s Austin and Rock.  If there was a top 15 I'd put Rock and Taker in there

Rooka

Not sure in what order, but everyone you mentioned on your list hogfan064 is good, plus I would possibly consider Ricky Steamboat(I just like him okay), Lou Thez, Ted Dibiase, and why not Sting. Sting is another that I would like to see up there, but is probably on a totally different level.

hogfan064

May 30, 2006, 02:19:06 pm #4 Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:23:29 pm by hogfan064
Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 02:16:00 pm
Not sure in what order, but everyone you mentioned on your list hogfan064 is good, plus I would possibly consider Ricky Steamboat(I just like him okay), Lou Thez, Ted Dibiase, and why not Sting. Sting is another that I would like to see up there, but is probably on a totally different level.

Sting probably would've been if he wasn't misused during the entire NWO angle.  Sting should've been the top face in WCW, but for whatever reason they seemed to hold him back in the mid and late 90s.  If you would've asked me in 1992 would Sting be one day one of the alltime greatest I would've said yes. 

Lou Thez should be in the top 10 and I apologize for not having him in there.  I just forgot about him.

Ted Dibiase was good, but not top 10 material.  He's probably in that Randy Savage type group. 

Steamboat had some classic matches against Flair  and the one against Macho Man at Wrestlemania III is one of the greatest Mania matches ever.  However, Steamboat never carried a company and really his persona at times was comic book.  No doubt a great performer though

Rooka

Yea, I agree.  Sting was totally misused and it is a shame it happened.

hogfan064

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 02:22:46 pm
Yea, I agree.  Sting was totally misused and it is a shame it happened.

WCW never built on the momentum his character was bringing after the Flair feud.  The dark Sting persona also never reached its potential.  Each week we just waited for a Hogan-Sting NWO-WCW match to finally happen and it just took to long

Rooka

You know, I think the maddest I have ever got while watching WCW was when Sting and Goldberg were facing each other.  Sting locked in the Scorpian Death Lock and right when you thought Goldberg was going to tap, Hogan came in w/ a steel chair.  I cannot remember a time where I was yelling that hard at the television.

hogfan064

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 02:29:36 pm
You know, I think the maddest I have ever got while watching WCW was when Sting and Goldberg were facing each other.  Sting locked in the Scorpian Death Lock and right when you thought Goldberg was going to tap, Hogan came in w/ a steel chair.  I cannot remember a time where I was yelling that hard at the television.

WCW pushed DDP and Goldberg when Sting should've been the choice.  Goldberg didn't even care about the business and DDP was an old guy who had a great finisher, but that was it. 

Rooka

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 02:38:31 pm

WCW pushed DDP and Goldberg when Sting should've been the choice.  Goldberg didn't even care about the business and DDP was an old guy who had a great finisher, but that was it. 
Hit it right on the head, Hogfan064, exactly the way I feel.

hogfan064

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 02:40:15 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 02:38:31 pm

Hit it right on the head, Hogfan064, exactly the way I feel.

And I was never a Sting fan, hated him since he left Eddie Gilbert in UWF's First Family.  But I know Sting was the best face for WCW. 

Rooka

I was a big Sting fan and still am.  I still rout for him on Impact.  I am not sure if he should have come back because the last thing he needs is to get injured.

hogfan064

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 02:45:35 pm
I was a big Sting fan and still am.  I still rout for him on Impact.  I am not sure if he should have come back because the last thing he needs is to get injured.

If he's coming back for a fulltime run then great, but if not then he needs to hang it up.  Nothing more frustrating than seeing a guy come back time to time just to get ratings for 1 or 2 shows like Austin and Rock do.  Foley I hope is around for awhile because I think he could be great as a heel manager for Edge.  I doubt Foley will ever be a fulltime wrestler, but is a great on air persona

Rooka

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 02:47:50 pm

If he's coming back for a fulltime run then great, but if not then he needs to hang it up.  Nothing more frustrating than seeing a guy come back time to time just to get ratings for 1 or 2 shows like Austin and Rock do.  Foley I hope is around for awhile because I think he could be great as a heel manager for Edge.  I doubt Foley will ever be a fulltime wrestler, but is a great on air persona

I have a feeling that as soon as the ECW One Night Stand is over, that that may be the last we see of Foley for a while.

hogfan064

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 02:52:18 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 02:47:50 pm

I have a feeling that as soon as the ECW One Night Stand is over, that that may be the last we see of Foley for a while.

Probably, but why turn him heel for one PPV?  Seems like a waste to me.  I mean once he comes back he'll be seen as a face again by the fans.

hydrophonic

I think Foley will be on TV, just not in the ring much.  Splitting the rosters again means that they'll really need his considerable promo talents.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

Rooka

I'm just afraid that once the One Night Stand is over. IMO he should start a rivalry with someone on RAW and completly stop all angles with ECW.  If their are more ECW angles then I think it will be bad for the well being of ECW.

Atreyu

Keep in mind I'm young, so I never got the chance to see most of the older guys...

1. Hullk Hogan - put wrestling on the map. Amazing charisma, but not that great of a performer.
2. Ric Flair - great wrestler. Above average charisma, and the WOOOOOO!!!! is known by non fans.
3. Mick Foley - my personal favorite ever. Made hardcore wrestling.
4. The Undertaker - has been able to keep the same gimmick fresh for 15 or so years. The American Badass gimmick was his only downfall, I think.
5. Stone Cold Steve Austin - arguably the most charismatic ever. Decent wrestler until his neck injury.
6. Kurt Angle - You just gotta hate this guy. Unbelievable charisma, not to mentiona real gold medalist.
7. The Rock - mediocre wrestler, but could cut a promo like none other.

I'm kind of tired, so I left off a few.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

CharlieHog

The Undertaker's gimmick is fresh?

Atreyu

Quote from: CharlieHog on May 31, 2006, 08:51:07 am
The Undertaker's gimmick is fresh?

Yes, compared with John Cena's.
HEYHEYHEY

CharlieHog

Quote from: Atreyu on May 31, 2006, 08:56:55 am

Yes, compared with John Cena's.

Like John Cena is a standard for anything.

Atreyu

HEYHEYHEY