Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ECW

Started by Rooka, May 30, 2006, 12:47:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooka

This summer on the SciFi channel ECW returns.  So, what do you guys think of bringing ECW back.
I think it may actually work very well.  Be nice to have a brand that is not just about entertainment 24/7.  Some tacks, chairs, tables, barbwire, and baseball bats.  I would rather see that anyday of the week.

spe450

What does it have to do with SciFi?  I understand the fiction part but are they gonna have some wierd stuff happen?  I think I'll wait for wrasslin to come to the lifetime or oxygen network.

hogfan064

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 12:47:28 pm
This summer on the SciFi channel ECW returns.  So, what do you guys think of bringing ECW back.
I think it may actually work very well.  Be nice to have a brand that is not just about entertainment 24/7.  Some tacks, chairs, tables, barbwire, and baseball bats.  I would rather see that anyday of the week.

I'm very excited about the return of ECW.  It will allow RVD to not hold back.  I just hope they give Heyman control and Vince doesn't stick his nose into it to much

Rooka

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 01:33:22 pm
I'm very excited about the return of ECW.  It will allow RVD to not hold back.  I just hope they give Heyman control and Vince doesn't stick his nose into it to much
Yea I agree, If Vince sticks his nose in it and screws around with it, I don't think it will have a chance.  Once the One Night Stand is over with their should be no more fueds toward ECW from RAW or Smackdown.  I would love to see it as it was in its old days.

hydrophonic

Quote from: spe450 on May 30, 2006, 12:53:33 pm
What does it have to do with SciFi?

SciFi is owned by NBC, as is USA Network.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

Rooka

What does it have to do with SciFi?  I understand the fiction part but are they gonna have some wierd stuff happen?  I think I'll wait for wrasslin to come to the lifetime or oxygen network.
Hey I did hear about a new wrestling brand coming to lifetime.  Its first match features the Golden Girls vs. Will and Grace in a Steel Cage match. ;D

spe450

Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 01:45:10 pm
Hey I did hear about a new wrestling brand coming to lifetime.  Its first match features the Golden Girls vs. Will and Grace in a Steel Cage match. ;D
Now that's a pay per view worth seeing!  I say it's close til Bea Arthur comes in and cleans house.

Rooka

Quote from: spe450 on May 30, 2006, 06:27:57 pm
Quote from: Death by Hog on May 30, 2006, 01:45:10 pm
Now that's a pay per view worth seeing!  I say it's close til Bea Arthur comes in and cleans house.
Yea, Bea will come in and hit'em all with a steel chair and powerbomb them on tacks!  Their is an image for ya. ;D

Zen_Hog

I can't wait to see Kurt Angle go hardcore.

CharlieHog

I really have no faith that this won't suck, but I'll watch it a few times just to see.

Knot2brite

it will NEVER be the old ECW. That program was the best cheap wrasslin that money couldnt buy. Those guys were trying to make it at any level and they worked their butts off to entertain the people with little financial benefits. The fans are what made ECW and the wrestlers listened to the fans. What you are going to see on Scifi is going to be a watered down version of the greatest indy wrestling promotion ever. Sad shame that the WWE is going to exploit it for money.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Rooka

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on May 31, 2006, 01:04:18 am
I can't wait to see Kurt Angle go hardcore.
Definatly should be awesome to see how this unfolds.

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 31, 2006, 09:31:19 am
it will NEVER be the old ECW. That program was the best cheap wrasslin that money couldnt buy. Those guys were trying to make it at any level and they worked their butts off to entertain the people with little financial benefits. The fans are what made ECW and the wrestlers listened to the fans. What you are going to see on Scifi is going to be a watered down version of the greatest indy wrestling promotion ever. Sad shame that the WWE is going to exploit it for money.
I never looked at it that way, very good point.

hogfan064

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 31, 2006, 09:31:19 am

Just take a bunch of bums on the road and tell them to beat the darn out of each other and pay them like $20 a match.  Tell them if they perform well they will have a chance to one day be on Raw or Smackdown and make good money.  Put this in a small Bingo Hall and watch it flourish.  That's all you have to do to make ECW a hit.

Rooka

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 31, 2006, 10:08:35 am
Just take a bunch of bums on the road and tell them to beat the Shiite out of each other and pay them like $20 a match.  Tell them if they perform well they will have a chance to one day be on Raw or Smackdown and make good money.  Put this in a small Bingo Hall and watch it flourish.  That's all you have to do to make ECW a hit.

;D

Rooka

Heres some more info on ECW, from WWE.com

STAMFORD, Conn., May 31, 2006 – World Wrestling Entertainment today released the dates for its first ECW live event tour, following the announcement that it is officially launching an ECW brand and that a live ECW summer television series will be on the SCI FI Channel.

Tickets for all events June through August go on sale June 17, unless otherwise noted.

Following the sold-out "ECW: One Night Stand" pay-per-view event in New York City at the Hammerstein Ballroom on June 11, the ECW live event tour kicks off with a performance broadcast live on SCI FI Channel on Tuesday, June 13, from the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, N. J., following the taping of "Friday Night SmackDown®." Tickets for the event in Trenton are currently on sale

Atreyu

I've heard Kurt Angle wasn't going to be wrestling much in ECW because he wants to limit the wear and tear on his body.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Rooka

Quote from: Atreyu on May 31, 2006, 10:19:02 am
I've heard Kurt Angle wasn't going to be wrestling much in ECW because he wants to limit the wear and tear on his body.
I was pretty sure that angle will be very cautious with his matches, but he did get a small amount of time to rest up after the injury angle.

CharlieHog

Just take a bunch of bums on the road and tell them to beat the Shiite out of each other and pay them like $20 a match.  Tell them if they perform well they will have a chance to one day be on Raw or Smackdown and make good money.  Put this in a small Bingo Hall and watch it flourish.  That's all you have to do to make ECW a hit.

Yeah bums like Taz, Shane Douglas, Bam Bam Bigelow, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Misterio Jr., etc.

ECW was a lot more than hardcore garbage.

Personally I hate hardcore matches. But ECW had it's great moments.

Lanny

Quote from: CharlieHog on May 31, 2006, 10:30:54 am

Yeah bums like Taz, Shane Douglas, Bam Bam Bigelow, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Misterio Jr., etc.

ECW was a lot more than hardcore garbage.

Personally I hate hardcore matches. But ECW had it's great moments.

You left out the best individuals.

Tammy Sytch (before drugs), Beluah,Dawn Marie and Francine
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Knot2brite

ECW wasnt about a bunch of guys beating the snot out of each other (well not totally) but rather that the fans were beyond loyal they were like family. Every ECW wrestler had a connection with the fans it seemed. I watched ECW when it was just starting and when people didnt know about it. I watched Kronus/Saturn destroy tag teams. I watched a little guy that no one would ever think was a wrassler but he became a cult hero (Mikey Whipwreck). The Dudley's (all of them) and Axl Rotten and those guys. Hell I cant even remember some of their names it was so far back. Heyman had those guys convinced that they were bigger than WWE(F) because they were in tune with the fans. Sad shame of the matter is that the fans they were so in touch with were broke. Mick Foley and Terry Funk had some brutal matches in front of 200 fans. Steve Austin got his second chance there. Barb wire city was a term of affection for those guys. It is going to be sad to watch Sandman and those guys come back to a "civilized" show where they cant do what they did before.

hogfan064

I wasn't taking a shot at ECW.  I was just saying what made it great.  ECW worked because most of the guys were unknowns and did anything to climb the ladder.  That's why it might not work with WWE talent.  These guys have already made it and won't kill themselves to put on a great show

Knot2brite

That is why the "new" ECW wont work. These guys have signed larger contracts than they did in the "old" ECW and they get some money regularly. Hell Heyman couldnt give half his guys money on the night they wrestled much less weekly. That is the reason that Raven, Saturn ect. left him. But those guys that wanted to be seen would wrestle for a bagel and some OJ and put on a hell of a show. Seeing it live was unreal. Never seen a show like it.