Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D-GENERATION X baby!!!! + current TNA allstars on SpikeTV

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 31, 2006, 06:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PintailKiller

DX coming out as The Nation on Nitro was the funniest thing I had ever seen up until that point in time.  Wish I ahd taped that.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: PintailKiller on January 31, 2006, 08:45:09 pm
DX coming out as The Nation on Nitro was the funniest thing I had ever seen up until that point in time.  Wish I ahd taped that.

DX was on Raw.

hellrazor

February 01, 2006, 10:38:32 am #3 Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 10:51:16 am by hellrazor
Seen the videos of DX going to the CNN center?
That was cool.    "Let my people go!!"

Why does everyone hate Triple H now?
Other than the funky facial hair, he's as good as he's always been.
His moves are always crisp and with a workable pace.
I've seen him compliment the style of any wrestler I can think of right now. He may have gone over on a lot of them, but he has always sold very very well.
Plus, a lot of wrestlers will get in there and work every body part with no real logic to it. Triple H will choose a body part and work it to tell a story. This way, it's not the wrestler that he beats, it's the injury that he manipulates.
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

CharlieHog

Quote from: hellrazor on February 01, 2006, 10:38:32 am
Why does everyone hate Triple H now?
Other than the funky facial hair, he's as good as he's always been.
His moves are always crisp and with a workable pace.
I've seen him compliment the style of any wrestler I can think of right now. He may have gone over on a lot of them, but he has always sold very very well.
Plus, a lot of wrestlers will get in there and work every body part with no real logic to it. Triple H will choose a body part and work it to tell a story. This way, it's not the wrestler that he beats, it's the injury that he manipulates.

You're right about one thing, HHH is as good as he's ever been. Terrible.

I've always hated HHH. Even when he was the mid-card darling of the IWC.

hydrophonic

Trips has been my favorite for 5 or 6 years, so I'm not unbiased enough to participate in this discussion.

I legitimately believe that he is the best combination of ring work and mic work currently in the industry.  I'm a total mark for H.

Smite me if you have to.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

The_Bionic_Pig

didn't he use to do some sort of bow before matches.... by the way you might enjoy this Tripple H gets punked Ashton Kutcher -> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4751586767662519457&q=Tripple+H
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CharlieHog

Quote from: hydrophonic on February 01, 2006, 01:31:05 pm
Trips has been my favorite for 5 or 6 years, so I'm not unbiased enough to participate in this discussion.

I legitimately believe that he is the best combination of ring work and mic work currently in the industry.  I'm a total mark for H.

Smite me if you have to.

I'm not unbiased either. I am, after all, a fan.

Do you watch anything besides the WWE? I mean, if you're going to claim he's the best in the whole industry...

hellrazor

February 01, 2006, 04:01:18 pm #8 Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:05:06 pm by hellrazor
Quote from: CharlieHog on February 01, 2006, 02:24:56 pm
Quote from: hydrophonic on February 01, 2006, 01:31:05 pm

Smite me if you have to.

I'm not unbiased either. I am, after all, a fan.

Do you watch anything besides the WWE? I mean, if you're going to claim he's the best in the whole industry...

I do...    and I still say he's ONE of the best.
He has his way of making you believe what he says. A heel, especially the working heel, has to sound like he actually believes every word he is saying.  Triple H has that manner about him.
There are plenty of guys that match his in ring ability. There's Beniot, Angle, Orton (WWE), Somoa Joe (TNA), Brent "the Shooter" Albright (OVW), Lance Storm (soon to be RoH) and Chis Botherway (IPW UK).
All these guys have what it takes in the ring, but are almost silent on the mic.
Sure, The Shooter can cut a darned good promo. And Angle used to funny as a face..  and Botherway is nuts...  but Triple H makes you believe.
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

hydrophonic

I wrote a novel in response to a yes or no question.  Sorry about that.  I've BOLDED the part you're looking for.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'm a wrestling fan.  If it's on TV, I'll watch it.  Unfortunately for me - and for you, I think - the only thing on TV here in Tulsa is WWE and TNA.

That's 5 hours per week.  6 if you count AM RAW, which I do because I watch it.  That's 6 of the 8 or so hours of TV I see every week. [The other 2 usually being the samuri film IFC runs on Saturday mornings.]  When it's in season, I also watch a lot of college football.

I've seen every episode of iMPACT! since it hit SpikeTV, but I haven't seen any ROH or any of the other NWA affiliated promotions working now.

The "best in the industry" stuff is just me marking out.

But, in all honesty, I feel like...  like if I had said "Tom Brady is the best QB in football" and you had retorted with "Do you watch anything besides the NFL?"

Now hold on...  Don't hit that SMITE button so fast.

WWE's product is not as good as it could be.  The wrestling, writting and booking leave A LOT to be desired.  But, their booking is head and shoulders above TNA's.

Some of TNA's wrestling is better than some of WWE's.  But some of it isn't.  For my taste, there are WAY too many high spots in TNA.  One thing I REALLY like about TNA is the "old school" feel it has.  It reminds me a little of Bill Watts' Mid South.  But TNA's booking is just too predictable.  What I've told friends about TNA is "I've really wanted to get 2 or 3 of the 4 PPVs they've put on since they hit Spike, but I'm not paying for one until I can't guess the outcome of all but 1 or 2 matches."  Maybe that comes from watching wrestling for 25 years or so [I'm 31 and I probably started watching before I turned 6, but there were a few years that I didn't watch], but it's a problem.  As bad as WWE is, I only guess right on their PPV matches slightly more than half the time.  [I only got 2 out of 6 at the Rumble]

Just for comparison, I'll make some quick comments about some guys I do or don't like:

HBK - I've never been a fan, but I respect his ability.  He's very good on the mic and in the ring.  I tend to root against.

AJ Styles - Does some neat moves, but I'm not crazy about him.  Horrible on the mic.  HORRIBLE.  I tend to root against.

Kurt Angle - Great in the ring, very good on the mic.  I tend to root for and have since his WWE debut.

Christopher Daniels - Better than AJ in every way.  I tend to root for.

Chris Benoit - The best wrestler on TV.  Very average on the mic.  Maybe even below average.  I tend to root for and have since the WCW days [I wasn't watching ECW when he was there.]

Samoa Joe - My favorite on TNA.  I guess I've only seen him cut 2 or 3 promos and they were about average.  I root for, even though I don't really like "undefeated" angles.

Edge - Average AT BEST in the ring, very good on the mic.  Rooting interest varies depending on opponent.

Christian - Better than Edge in every way.  I tend to root for.

John Cena - Very good on the mic, very strong with the crowds.  Very poor in the ring, however, when he's playing the babyface he does an pretty good job of selling.  His match with Edge at the Rumble was about 15 minutes and he put Edge over for 10 to 12.  I root against.

_Collin1

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 01, 2006, 01:39:52 pm
didn't he use to do some sort of bow before matches.... by the way you might enjoy this Tripple H gets punked Ashton Kutcher -> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4751586767662519457&q=Tripple+H

All that ended after he got slopped by Henry Godwin
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

hydrophonic

Quote from: hellrazor on February 01, 2006, 04:01:18 pmTriple H makes you believe.

This is the only thing that I left out of that novel I just posted.

That's a big part of it.  I totally mark out every time he cuts a promo.

hellrazor

you wanna see good wrestling in Tulsa?
Check out Steel Rage Pro Wrestling. Sapulpa, Friday, Feb 10th.
It's a family show, so they don't get too WWE-like.
But there are some good wrestlers there.
http://www.steelragepro.com/
They'll mark you out.

hydrophonic

I'm cool with the "family show" style.  I'll probably go.

Wait, does that say FREE?

Oh, hell yeah.  I'll be there unless work or family interferes.

CharlieHog

Gosh I could write pages and pages on this topic...

1. On the Tom Brady analogy. I don't think that applies. The NFL clearly has the best football players in the world. The WWE does not have the best wrestlers in the world. They might have some of them. But the 60 or so guys employeed by the WWE are not the 60 best wrestlers in the world.

2. I don't like the WWE. I don't love TNA either really...but I like it more than the WWE. I think both WWE and TNA are all sizzle, no steak (as JR might say). They have lots of snazzy presentation, but their writing is boring (in TNA's case) or downright odd/stupid (in the WWE's case).

But you know, if you're a WWE fan, that's fine. It's entertainment, and different people want different things out of their wrestling. I don't like stuff like the Boogeyman, or the Undertaker using magic, or lame attempts at controversy like Hassan. I like long matches. I like good selling. I like strikes that look real. I like marking out for something amazing.

Samoa Joe - My favorite wrestler in the world right now. He can work the mic, but he hasn't been given the chance in TNA. I hate the gimmick they gave him. He is a straight rip off of Taz from 1996, and I don't think it works.

There are some wrestlers I like in the WWE. Kurt Angle is the best they have. But he hardly ever gets to work with anybody good, he's always stuck carrying somebody horrible like Mark Henry.

I *love* Paul London. But he's not even really on the shows. Same for Jamie Noble and Spanky.

TNA has a lot of wrestlers I don't like. Kip James, Konnan, Killings, Monty Brown, etc. But unlike the WWE, TNA lets their great workers work with each other. Daniels, Styles and Joe. Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Matt Bentley, and now Shannon Moore.

CharlieHog

Oh and I agree that AJ is horrible on the mic (and I hate his gimmick), Daniels is frigging awesome in every way, Christian is better than Edge (Edge is terrible IMO), and Chris Benoit is the man.

hellrazor

Quote from: CharlieHog on February 01, 2006, 08:03:42 pm

1. On the Tom Brady analogy. I don't think that applies. The NFL clearly has the best football players in the world. The WWE does not have the best wrestlers in the world. They might have some of them. But the 60 or so guys employeed by the WWE are not the 60 best wrestlers in the world.

WWE has way more than 60 guys. They have indy promotions, sort of minor leagues. They own Ohio Valley Wrestling, Deep South Wrestling and I think one in Australia. I'm sure there is more.

2. I don't like the WWE. I don't love TNA either really...but I like it more than the WWE. I think both WWE and TNA are all sizzle, no steak (as JR might say). They have lots of snazzy presentation, but their writing is boring (in TNA's case) or downright odd/stupid (in the WWE's case).

But you know, if you're a WWE fan, that's fine. It's entertainment, and different people want different things out of their wrestling. I don't like stuff like the Boogeyman, or the Undertaker using magic, or lame attempts at controversy like Hassan. I like long matches. I like good selling. I like strikes that look real. I like marking out for something amazing.

TNA is mostly old WWE/WCW talent:  Jeff Jarrett, kQuik, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, Raven, and even Shark Boy.

Samoa Joe - My favorite wrestler in the world right now. He can work the mic, but he hasn't been given the chance in TNA. I hate the gimmick they gave him. He is a straight rip off of Taz from 1996, and I don't think it works.

Samoa Joe came from UPW, which is where John Cena came from. Cena was known as the Prototype. UPW is not owned by the WWE, but it is regularly visited by its recruiters. Indeed, most of the known talent in other companies have either worked for the WWE or have been rejected by the WWE.

There are some wrestlers I like in the WWE. Kurt Angle is the best they have. But he hardly ever gets to work with anybody good, he's always stuck carrying somebody horrible like Mark Henry.

Angle is the real deal and he just keeps getting better and better. They were building him to be the working heel to replace Triple H next year. But Batista's inujury just put a temporary hault on it. Batista will be back after Mania and Kurt will be heeling again by then, if not before.
I truly believe Kurt is as good as or better than Triple H, but his gimmick will not let him work the mic very much.

I *love* Paul London. But he's not even really on the shows. Same for Jamie Noble and Spanky.
Paul London kicks ass. Noble and Spanky are alright. Know who I really like?  Nunzio (Little Guido), I've seen him pull off some impressive moves that mostly go unnoticed. Plus, he sells really well and gets other guys over. Tons of respect for him.

TNA has a lot of wrestlers I don't like. Kip James, Konnan, Killings, Monty Brown, etc. But unlike the WWE, TNA lets their great workers work with each other. Daniels, Styles and Joe. Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Matt Bentley, and now Shannon Moore.

There aren't many cruiser weights that I would give a nod to for technical ability. This includes RVD.
A combination of moves is called a "spot."  Most cruiser weights are spot wrestlers and they get ahead of themselves. Yes, it does require tons of skill and athletic ability. True, but most spot wrestlers get lazy on transitional moves. They're too busy thinking about the next move. Plus, a lot of the spot I see in TNA just don't make any sense. Why fly into a head-scissors just to flip off of him, land in front of him for a ddt?
Don't get me wrong. I've seen cruiser weights do some cool stuff, like land in a tunrbuckle face first, and that adds a lot of realism. But what I mean is, spot wrestling can either look really cool, sloppy or plain dumb. (or all of the above)  But you are always aware that guys are working together. I never find it believable

CharlieHog

OVW and Deep South are darn. Australia is non-existant when it comes to wrestling. They've produced...uh? Nathan Jones. That's all I can think of.

OVW and Deep South do not compare to any of the major indys in America. Nobody in those companies is as good as the wrestlers in ROH, PWG, IWA-MS, Chickra, 3PW, JAPW, CZW, and I'm sure there some more that escape me at the moment. UPW is one of the worst indys there is, but I can see why the WWE would like it. They produce a lot of wrestlers with great bodies and very little ability.

I know you were just trying to explain, but I know what spots are. I've been a wrestling fan my whole life. I read the Observer every day. I podcast Figure Four Weekly. I'm down.

As for spot wrestlers...I don't like that either. I'm not into seeing a bunch of flippy looking fake stuff.

My favorite wrestlers are guys that chain wrestle, sell well, hit hard and general amaze me. Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Low Ki, American Dragon, Super Dragon, Christopher Daniels, KENTA, etc.

I've always been a big Nunzio (Little Guido) fan. Very innovative. But never going anywhere in the WWE. They are too busy trying to put over midgets and pointless broads with growths on their faces.

hydrophonic

Quote from: hellrazor on February 01, 2006, 04:19:20 pm
you wanna see good wrestling in Tulsa?
Check out Steel Rage Pro Wrestling. Sapulpa, Friday, Feb 10th.
It's a family show, so they don't get too WWE-like.
But there are some good wrestlers there.
http://www.steelragepro.com/
They'll mark you out.
Quote from: hydrophonic on February 01, 2006, 04:23:01 pm
I'm cool with the "family show" style.  I'll probably go.

Wait, does that say FREE?

Oh, hell yeah.  I'll be there unless work or family interferes.

Well, I won't be making it.  My work day has been MAD SH!TTY, so I'll be spending the night at home with a bottle of burbon.  Too bad for me.

I'll try to catch those guys next time.