Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's the greatest old-school wrestling/wrasslin' manager of all time?

Started by Boared, October 20, 2005, 08:17:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the best or your favorite and why?

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
Jimmy Cornette
Classy Freddie Blassie
"The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart
Percy Pringle aka "Paul Bearer"
Skandar Akbar
Mr. Fuji
Captain Lou Albano
"Precious" Paul Ellering
Gary Hart
other

Boared

Alright, who was the greatest manager/handler of all time? I know a bunch of us watched wrestling in our early year whether it was Mid-South Wrestling, Georgia Championship Wrestling, WWF, or Texas Wrestling.

bigred1

Boared

I had to go w/ Jimmy Cornette. He was the biggest whiner of any manager I'd ever watched. He used his tennis racket at the most opportune times and wore the really tacky jackets. He even mocked little kids in the crowd. He was awesome to hate. I have to admit that Percy Pringle as Paul Bearer always made me laugh with his high-pitched spooky, quivering voice.

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: Boared on October 20, 2005, 08:54:57 pm
I had to go w/ Jimmy Cornette. He was the biggest whiner of any manager I'd ever watched. He used his tennis racket at the most opportune times and wore the really tacky jackets. He even mocked little kids in the crowd. He was awesome to hate. I have to admit that Percy Pringle as Paul Bearer always made me laugh with his high-pitched spooky, quivering voice.

Were you at the (Bill Watts/Coronette) Diaper and Spanking match at Barton Coliseaum in about 1986 or maybe 87 ? Largest crowd for any even tin the (domed at least) history of T.H. Barton. I laughed so hard I could barely talk. I had to vote for Akbar though.

Boared

No, I've only been to a couple of matches. I went to a Mid-South Wrestling match in my hometown in LA (in the late 70's) which featured Ted DiBiase (pre Million Dollar Man days), JYD, and I can't remember who exactly else--I think it was Co. Buck Robley, maybe Paul Orndorff, King Cobra, etc. I was about 6-7 at the time, and JYD was The Man. I remember Cowboy Bill Watts wrestling during that time, but I don't remember if he was there that night. I was a big fan of JYD and "Dr. Death" Steve Williams.

The only other match I attended was when I was in high school. I think it was about '90-'91. We saw a match in Monroe, LA that had Gold Dust aka Dustin Rhodes, Sting, and a bunch of other dudes. We basically pre-partied on the way over in the car (got tanked on Jim Beam) and spent a lot of the time heckling the people that were really getting into the match. Good times..

secthumper

Akbar's "DEVASTATION  INCORPORATED" was THE group most feared in that period of time! Akbar himself was brought over from Lebanon by the great Danny Hodge only to turn on Hodge in one of the greatest angles ever!! While Hodge stayed preoccupied with Hiro Matsuda and the NWA Junior Heavyweight Championship, Abbar understudied under the late great Shiek(Ed Farot) and became one of the most feared wrestlers during that period of time! Bruiser Bob Sweetan once said that Akbar was the toughest SOB of any wrestler that he had faced!! He could throw fire with the best of them and none escaped from his bear hug!! Akbar was a 600 lb. bench presser!!! He sustained a severe arm injury that forced him to retire from the ring only to manage  the most devious collection of wrestlers the world has ever seen!! I truly miss Saturday nights when they were beating the hell out of the Von Erichs, Freebirds, or any other unfortunate souls who stood in Akbar's way!!
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

GorillaJMonsoon

I vote for Akbar. Anyone remember "The Bull" McFarlane?  Mr. Wrestling II?  I went to a match at Barton and ended up watching the crowd more than the matches.  There are some interesting folks that attend wrasslin matches.

secthumper

GM, YEAH I remember Mr. Wrestling II!! Who can ever forget that kicka$$ kneelift that he possessed??  He involuntarily put several wrestlers in the hospital with that move!!
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

GorillaJMonsoon

secthumper

GM!!   SUPER pictures!!  Brings back alot of memories!!  God I miss them days!!

Buck Ocean

QuoteI had to go w/ Jimmy Cornette. He was the biggest whiner of any manager I'd ever watched. He used his tennis racket at the most opportune times and wore the really tacky jackets. He even mocked little kids in the crowd. He was awesome to hate. I have to admit that Percy Pringle as Paul Bearer always made me laugh with his high-pitched spooky, quivering voice.

agreed....100%   the tennis racket with the "X" on it done with ankle tape....instant classic.  When he used to go up to "the podium" with Tony Schiavane and strong arm him for the mic only to get smashed by arn & ole anderson.
Think like a Jedi

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: maniax22bolts20 on October 20, 2005, 09:00:18 pm
Quote from: Boared on October 20, 2005, 08:54:57 pm

Were you at the (Bill Watts/Coronette) Diaper and Spanking match at Barton Coliseaum in about 1986 or maybe 87 ? Largest crowd for any even tin the (domed at least) history of T.H. Barton. I laughed so hard I could barely talk. I had to vote for Akbar though.

I remember that.  84 or 85, I thought.  Mid South was great.  Dick Murdock, Jay Clayton, Terry Taylor, Hacksaw Duggan, Hacksaw Butch Reed, Kamala, Jake the Snake Roberts, Midnight Express, Rock and Roll Express, ......... man those were good times.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

The Max Swineberg 7

BTW, I remember the next week on Mid South Wrestling, Jim Cornette got the video tape, said they won the match and there was nothing to see, and cut up the tape on t.v.    At the time, that really pissed me off.

:)
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

_Collin1

HOW IS SLICK NOT ON THIS LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

_Collin1

If you are looking at Managing world titles... you gotta look at JJ Dillion.  Manager of the 4 Horseman baby!

Since 1894

A lot of memories.  Some of those guys stayed around for a long time.  I remember going to matches in Tulsa when I was about 10 (1974) and yelling for Cowboy Bill Watts and Dick Murdock.  Didn't Murdock have some sort of bull wrestling move where he would slide the other wrestler's face into the mat after running him across the ring?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Boared

Captain Redneck was a bad arse as was Stan "The Man" Hansen would have a chaw so big that he would have streams of tobacco spit running down the sides of his mouth while yelling during interviews.

Yeah, I forgot about Slick and JJ Dillon.

imahoggie

what about....... Dark Journey managed the Missing Link. Missy Hyatt managed Eddie Gilbert for a while i think. DJ and MH got in the ring with eachother a few times too.Woman managed Doom. Teddy Long...dont remember who he managed but he was also a ref and now a GM. i know they arent the best but just had to throw em in there. my vote goes to Blassie. i mean the song "Pencil Neck Geek"...priceless.
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

maniax22bolts20

regarding women managers I think Sunny is still active in NWA TNA.

Boared

I was going to include "handlers" and "valets" as part of the poll, but it would have gotten too big. You've got Missy Hyat, Sunshine, Miss Elizabeth, Virgil, Sherri Martel, etc. I kept the poll "old school" as I haven't regularly watched wrestling since the mid-to-late 80's.

secthumper

Dick Murdoch's finishing move was the "BRAINBUSTER" as taught to him by Killer Karl Kox!! Murdoch died of a heart attack in his 40's!

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

toshortrock

i guess jimmy hart,he still comes over to memphis every now and then,,remember tojo,,back then was really good
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

fatman423

Quote from: BigC51 on October 21, 2005, 02:43:12 pm
If you are looking at Managing world titles... you gotta look at JJ Dillion. Manager of the 4 Horseman baby!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

_Collin1

Quote from: imahoggie on October 21, 2005, 06:11:29 pm
what about....... Dark Journey managed the Missing Link. Missy Hyatt managed Eddie Gilbert for a while i think. DJ and MH got in the ring with eachother a few times too.Woman managed Doom. Teddy Long...dont remember who he managed but he was also a ref and now a GM. i know they arent the best but just had to throw em in there. my vote goes to Blassie. i mean the song "Pencil Neck Geek"...priceless.

Let me see if I can get this straight....  its been a long long time.    Missy Hyatt and Eddie Gilbert actually were married, but divorced before Eddie died of a heart attack (dont know if it was drug related).  Woman didnt originally come in as the manager of Doom.  They had a hard time with Butch Reed and Ron Simmons... so they brought in a woman to be Rick Steiners girlfriend.  So she starts hanging around the ring (in actual real life, WOMAN was married to Kevin Sullivan then actually left him for Chris Benoit and had his children).  Anyways, she scres the Stieners when they faced Doom... thats how she became Doom's manager.

Teddy Long has quite an interesting career.  He was a life referee for the NWA...  The Road Warriors (later Legion of Doom) were in a championship title match with some tag team and for the life of me I cant remember...  I cant remember if it was Rotunda and Dr. Death (the Varsity Club), Warlord and Barbarian, Old Midnight Express.....  but Teddy long screwed the Road Warriors as a referee then showed up as a manager.

After being called Peanut Head for alot of the time he disappeared, then reappeared QUITELY as a referee.  When WCW was bought by WWE, he was a ref for WWE... and now he is the Smackdown GM.  What a career.

junkyardhog

Skandar Akbar, the new WWF stuff was bunk. It ruined 'real' wrasslin. ;D

Mr. Wrestling 2,  knee lift
JYD, thump (can anyone find a picture of stagger lee with JYD, not koko b. ware)

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, 2x4 and spear from a 3 point stance
Ted DiBase, remember loading the glove

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/flashed.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

Boared

Maybe the next poll could be "What was the most effective 'foreign object' for cheating?"

junkyardhog

remember the green powder from the 'last ninja". He was a baddass.

_Collin1

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 24, 2005, 12:21:38 pm
remember the green powder from the 'last ninja". He was a baddass.
Last Ninja???  Are you nuts?

The Great Muta was the Green Myst MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whataboar™

Quote from: secthumper on October 22, 2005, 12:57:01 am
Dick Murdoch's finishing move was the "BRAINBUSTER" as taught to him by Killer Karl Kox!! Murdoch died of a heart attack in his 40's!
Thanks.
I'd forgotten all about those two. Loved the "Brainbuster.''
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

junkyardhog

I think "Kamala the Ugandan Warrior" was the scariest to me. Man I still believe that guy was real.

I actually think his name is like 'bob' and lives in Minnesota. ;D

FayettenamVeteran

A couple of "Did You Know" tidbits to add to this thread.

Skandar Akbar currently lives in Bryant.  Akbar isn't his real name.  SHOCKER

Mr. Wrestling II was Herb Woodson, from Fordyce.  He also owned Herb's Restaurant on the 167-79 Bypass. 

_Collin1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 25, 2005, 10:52:49 am
Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 25, 2005, 10:46:06 am
Quote from: junkyardhog on October 25, 2005, 10:43:58 am
I think "Kamala the Ugandan Warrior" was the scariest to me. Man I still believe that guy was real.

I actually think his name is like 'bob' and lives in Minnesota. ;D

No he was a farmer in Mississippi.  Looked scary in that war paint and slapping his belly though  ;D

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/Kamala-1.html

If I remember right, Kim Chee was Harvey Whippleman......

My best memories of Kamala was him running scared whenever he saw the Undertaker and a tombstone.  That farmer/truck driver sold Kamala SO well in that feud.

RazorWire

Quote from: RazorRichard on October 20, 2005, 08:19:15 pm
Skandar Akbar hands down. God I hated that guy. ;D

Prolly win because he was on local TV. But was not national.