Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iowa fires their coach after 3rd season

Started by WxHog, March 15, 2010, 03:08:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WxHog

Iowa is doing something Arkansas appears to be not doing.
They have fired their coach after his third season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4997052

nextlevel

Someone needs to tell Iowa it takes 5-10 years to turn a basketball program around.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Razorpigg

Hmmmm but people on here say thats unheard of and you will never be able to hire a good coach if you fire them after just 3 seasons?  I bet Iowa gets a better one.

forrest city joe

Quote from: WxHog on March 15, 2010, 03:08:02 pm
Iowa is doing something Arkansas appears to be not doing.
They have fired their coach after his third season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4997052
But i have told over and over on this board, that you cant fire a coach after 3 years. which i have said is bullcrap! Iowa gets it. KY got it last year.Long is the fool that does not get it. it does not take 4 or 5, years to fix a basketball program. Long is either stupid or does not care about this program.

roundball

He doesn't care. If he does he has a horrible way of showin it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2010, 03:17:30 pm
But i have told over and over on this board, that you cant fire a coach after 3 years. which i have said is bullcrap! Iowa gets it. KY got it last year.Long is the fool that does not get it. it does not take 4 or 5, years to fix a basketball program. Long is either stupid or does not care about this program.

You think maybe we should wait and see who they hire and where they end up in a few years before acting like they are doing the smart thing?  Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to for a second...

rude1

MISTAKE. You can't know what a coach can do after only 3 years. You need to be losing consistently for a minimum of 5 years before you can be sure you don't have the right guy. Yet another program getting rid of the next Coach K.

hogzilla3

I'm starting to dislike Long more and more everyday!!!!

The Boar War

Iowa should know better.  They're no Kentucky.  Someone really should be scolding these idiots.

jt82hogs

Do you think any school that keeps replacing coaches every 3 to 5 years is going to pull any decent recruits let along a top tier coach.  Thats dumb.  After 3 years that coach still hase someone else players and the ones her recruited are what Freshmen, maybe sophomores if he got to recruit any himself.  How do you build any program with that mentality.  Don't even compare a Kentucky or someone like that, they are basketball royalty and even in our hay day we were not basketball royalty.  Yes were were a top 15 top 20 program but we didn't get recruits becasue of the name on our Jersey.  We have to rebuild and it's going to take time.  Recruits are not coming if we continue to flip flop coachs then we will continue to be where we are today. 

Devil09

BS!!! When a top coach sais he wants the job then yes we can get one and turn it around! The players aint why were losing its coaching! Pel is not an Arkansas Caliber coach! Long is not keeping Pel because he supports him and thinks he's going to win! He is doing it only for his EGO! He wants to show the money whos in charge! He may win the battle but he sure wont win the war! LONG is digging his own grave!

Hog Milanese

WE'RE NOW LESS MEANINGFUL THAN IOWA IN BASKETBALL. GREAT.

hawgsav1

The weird thing is, I thought Lickliter was a good hire when they first got him.  Butler had done extremely well under his tenure.  However, he just didn't pan out at Iowa, which I found rather surprising.

While I'm not exactly sure Pelphrey can take us where we want to go, to be fair, Pelphrey's record is better than Lickliter's was after 3 seasons...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Lake City Hog

I am sorry, but you can tell after the first season whether or not you have a coach. How does he handle working with the other guy's recruits, do they get better, does he earn the fear and respect of the team. Nolan's 2nd year we made it to the NIT and his 3rd year we made it to the NCAA, but we made it in a way that we all knew that the coming years would only be better.
We did not just skin by to get in like we did with Stan and with Pel and we knew that the next few years would be better. We have yet to have that feeling with Stan or with Pel. A coach can coach or he can't and you can figure it out pretty darn quickly.

Razorod

Iowa should go after Stan Heath. He may be able to recruit a bit better to Iowa and he is a Big Ten guy.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hoggish1

waterhogged

There is one reason that Pel is getting a 4th year.  He saw all the same skeletons in the closet Altman saw and accepted the job anyway.  That bought him one extra year.  I don't think it will do any good based on two total collapses , a totally undisciplined program which has no clear direction, and average recruiting at best.  But that's what's happening. 

Hog Milanese

Quote from: waterhogged on March 15, 2010, 08:56:57 pm
There is one reason that Pel is getting a 4th year.  He saw all the same skeletons in the closet Altman saw and accepted the job anyway.  That bought him one extra year.  I don't think it will do any good based on two total collapses , a totally undisciplined program which has no clear direction, and average recruiting at best.  But that's what's happening. 

IF BY SKELETONS YOU MEAN JOHN WHITE AND FRANK BROYLES, THEN THAT'S NO LONGER REALLY AN ISSUE...

RedSatinHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 15, 2010, 03:17:30 pm

But Joe, according to Mike from Fayetteville today, one bad recruiting class in college basketball sets your program back at least 2-3 years.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Hog Milanese on March 15, 2010, 05:02:06 pm
WE'RE NOW LESS MEANINGFUL THAN IOWA IN BASKETBALL. GREAT.

Either that, or having a winning program just means more to Iowa fans than it does to the brain trust that's running the show in Fayetteville these days.

I won't accuse our fans of not caring.  Most of the ones I've talked to have grown to resent Pelphrey and the way he's running our program.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: jt82hogs on March 15, 2010, 04:48:36 pm
Do you think any school that keeps replacing coaches every 3 to 5 years is going to pull any decent recruits let along a top tier coach.  Thats dumb.  After 3 years that coach still hase someone else players and the ones her recruited are what Freshmen, maybe sophomores if he got to recruit any himself.  How do you build any program with that mentality.  Don't even compare a Kentucky or someone like that, they are basketball royalty and even in our hay day we were not basketball royalty.  Yes were were a top 15 top 20 program but we didn't get recruits becasue of the name on our Jersey.  We have to rebuild and it's going to take time.  Recruits are not coming if we continue to flip flop coachs then we will continue to be where we are today. 

Yeah, those are all lies I used to tell myself, too. 

Then I woke up in time to watch the LSU game against the worst team in the SEC in front of a crowd of about 200 people in the Maravich Center. 

I got to see the picture of Fortson, the purported team leader, pouting by himself on the bench when the rest of the team was huddled during a timeout in the game at Tuscaloosa. 

I got to see the nonchalant way the team approached and ultimately quit against Vandy, including said purported team leader brushing off the coach in front of everyone. 

The way the team fell apart going down the stretch at home against Ole Miss. 

The hapless way they lost to UGA in the SECT.

If we had any of a number of coaches in this country, none of the above would have ever happened without someone on the team paying the price early on.  The purported team leader's locker would have been emptied by the end of the night on the trip home from T-Town.

The problem is that we don't have a coach who will confront any of the above head on, respect is now zero balance, discipline doesn't exist as a result of it, and it is sickening to me that anyone in our fan base is convinced that it's acceptable.

Put someone like Steve Alford or Bob Knight in charge of a mess like this and I will guarantee you that at the end of the first season, there will be about a 75% turnover in the roster and the replacements will be guys who respect the opportunity to get a schollie for playing their hearts out on a basketball floor.  At the end of their careers, they will be people our university can be proud of, as well.

Danny J

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 16, 2010, 12:33:33 am
Yeah, those are all lies I used to tell myself, too. 

Then I woke up in time to watch the LSU game against the worst team in the SEC in front of a crowd of about 200 people in the Maravich Center. 

I got to see the picture of Fortson, the purported team leader, pouting by himself on the bench when the rest of the team was huddled during a timeout in the game at Tuscaloosa. 

I got to see the nonchalant way the team approached and ultimately quit against Vandy, including said purported team leader brushing off the coach in front of everyone. 

The way the team fell apart going down the stretch at home against Ole Miss. 

The hapless way they lost to UGA in the SECT.

If we had any of a number of coaches in this country, none of the above would have ever happened without someone on the team paying the price early on.  The purported team leader's locker would have been emptied by the end of the night on the trip home from T-Town.

The problem is that we don't have a coach who will confront any of the above head on, respect is now zero balance, discipline doesn't exist as a result of it, and it is sickening to me that anyone in our fan base is convinced that it's acceptable.

Put someone like Steve Alford or Bob Knight in charge of a mess like this and I will guarantee you that at the end of the first season, there will be about a 75% turnover in the roster and the replacements will be guys who respect the opportunity to get a schollie for playing their hearts out on a basketball floor.  At the end of their careers, they will be people our university can be proud of, as well.
Hear, Hear!

HawgG

Todd Lickliter had a way better resume then Pelphrey but Iowa obviously had certain standards that weren't met so they are making the change.

Todd Lickliter had a 131-61 record at Butler in 6 seasons before coming to Iowa.

Iwastherein1969

you DON'T fire a coach after only 2 to 3 seasons....just ask Kentucky how that worked out for them...oh, never mind
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Westcoasthog

Iowa is doing the right thing after three years firing their coach - Arkansas should follow
persuit - FIRE JOHN PELPHREY!

99toLife

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2010, 02:50:51 am
you DON'T fire a coach after only 2 to 3 seasons....just ask Kentucky how that worked out for them...oh, never mind

Kentucky then Handed out a $31,000,000.00 contract for a proven coach...  We shelled out $700+K a year...We could have Pelphrey for 41 Years for what they are paying Calipari on his contract !

BossHog13

Iowa and Kentucky did the right thing, they refuse to accept low standards. And it didn't take them ten years to finally figure out the guy couldn't coach or was wrong for the program.

I just don't get Long. I guess excellence doesn't matter to him at all. Being the nice guy who keeps his word after making STUPID DUMB premature promises is most important to him.

I'm just thankful Petrino fell into his lap, or we would have two programs in the gutter right now. You know he was HELLBENT on shoving Tommy Bowden down our throats.

I think Long is more the problem than Pelphrey is because if we had the right guy at the top, we wouldn't have this problem(a SORRY coach and a split fanbase). I say fire them both. Fire John Pelphrey AND Jeff Long!!!