Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMOKESCREEN!!! (aka, it's not over by a longshot...)

Started by mathhog, March 14, 2010, 10:29:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

March 14, 2010, 10:29:01 pm Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:14:21 am by mathhog
LET me get this straight........

-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from rich boosters (including offers to pay the buyouts!)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from some BOT members (including a possible hiring freeze on assts... dont know a thing about this just saw it here)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from former players (ernie murray was the first to go public; more are possibly waiting in the wings if they are brave)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from current players (would you transfer if you were happy with pel)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from fans (were there ads in the newspaper last year after 2-14)

And their response is....

FIRE:
-Isaac brown - young recruiter with ties to gulf coast, mississippi, alabama, and some JR colleges (also the asst with the lowest salary, around 100k)
-Rob Evans - trailblazing legend who personally built Ole Miss basketball into respectability, SEC coach of the year, national coach of the year

KEEP:
-Tom Ostrum - yes, that ostrum, the one that got into a fistfight with Stefan Welsh BEFORE the 09 Ole Miss game in oxford.  the one that has gone 0-fer on all the top recruits so far, and is rumored to be toxic to some of the 'triplets' for the 2011 class anyway!

HIRE:
-Mark Gottfried - not only was he fired from Alabama DURING THE SEASON last year, his DADDY was Pel's boss at South Alabama.  Repeat: Long is intent on hiring a failed coach -- the son of Pel's former boss -- to calm the masses

...In order to make the rich boosters, some BOT members, former players, current players, and fans excited about a sport with back-to-back losing seasons where BWA attendance is at an all-time low?

I'm not going to argue about how poor a disciplinarian pel is, or how chemistry is awful, or how players have quit on him for TWO years in a row, or how pel is the first coach in modern power conference history to go three straight years of WORSE records and keep his job, or how his staff has been sweeping actualy crimes under the rug (and letting them play in games after said crimes to boot!), or how the guy has been a coach for 8 years and only had 3 winning seasons (think about that.... and, mike anderson is 8 of 8 in that arena... ahem).  I'm not going to argue the reasons for firing Pel, everyone here knows them (oh, and if you stil don't , PLEASE describe to me what his offense is, what his defense is, and which sec teams we lost to this year we beat next year and why).

What I am going to ask is thiS:  do these moves sound legit to you?  Do they?  Does this sound like Pel or Long will be here a long time?  Or next year? Can you think of ANY situation where fans are starting to sour on a coach (take gottfried at alabama for example) where former players, currently players, rich folks, and a few board members are getting involved -- and the coach sticks around?  Pel is a lame duck.  He's out of here, folks.

I'm amazed at the sudden emotional mood swings on this board!  12 hours ago everyone was giving each other high-fives because of all the anti-pel traction.  Now, because the lowest paid assistant coach has been "reassigned" -- it means pel is staying next year?

How?  Why?  Why does this mean anything?  It's nothing more than a power play by Jeffy Long to try to quiet the masses.   You do know that both Long's and Gearhart's phones were ringing off the hook with the money on Friday, don't you?  And how they basically rudely dismissed everyone?  Do you somehow think these rich people, are going to say "ah, i had passionate feelings on friday.  players threatened to transfer over the weekend. but the AD fired the 4th coach from the team, so I think I'll be placated on Monday!"  you think these folks make 1 phone call?  you think the people that have building wings and scholarships and professor's chairs and stadium entrances and buildings named after their family on campus give up after 1 call and the dismissal of ISAAC BROWN, who no one even knew of until the day he was fired?  if you think that, you don't know many rich folks...

This thing ain't over.  The next week is going to be verrrrrrrrry interesting.  The heat has been turned up dramatically, and jeff long throws us some bread crumbs.  So it worked?  Really?  These ozark millionaires are happy to let Pittsburgh Jeff tell them what to do?  LOL

Now of course, the wildcard this week STILL is the Board of Trustees.  Always has been.  3 or 4 with a few white hot ain't enough.  But those 3 or 4 can convince a few others if they hear enough dissent from former players, see players transferring, even hear the 'off the record' type stories from wally et al.  When push comes to shove, it's Board > Gearhart > Long > Pel > Pel's assistants.  You're crazy if you think Long will respond to you and I; he'll respond to his boss, who responds to the BOT and the money....   I had said after the Georgia loss that 70% chance of pel being fired in 3 weeks (later changed to 80).   I'd bring it back down to the 60-70 range, simply because the "AD" finally made a move.  But it's STILL ongoing.  I'm not at all certain that Mike Anderson (the obvious fan favorite and cure for ticket woes) would be "the guy" if pel was fired, but there are some rich boosters that love Mike (the whole "racist rich people hate mike because of nolan" thing is way overblown... it's been 10 years, we've suffered for a while while mike succeeded, and the rich folks aren't the same rich folks).  Job #1 is getting Pel gone.

So when does it happen?  I'm not sure it can wait 3 weeks myself.  I'm not sure we just wait for Missouri to lose.  The people that can put pressure on the board, and the rich boosters will be working behind the scenes tomorrow (if not already tonight), and the next three or four DAYS ought to be illuminating.  Sorry to say I doubt I'll really know a lot of concrete details in this part this week, but you can bet that this thing is far, far, far from over.

"Isaac brown" = Pel stays???? um, WHAT? Why?  Seriously, why is this a magical sign it's OVER?  On a sunday afternoon, no less??  Jeff Long, here's a +1 for trying, sweetie pie.  You just keep saying "no" to rich people, okay, that's your choice as AD, but I'd suggest creating an account THIS YEAR at careerbuilder or theladder....

There are really only 2 options now:

1) Pel is retained for 1 more year, and both him AND long are fired in 2011. Pel will not reach the bar that is set, and Long will not get to make the decision to fire him next year.
2) Pel is let go in the next few weeks (after certain teams lose in the NCAAs), and long retains his job for a while.

If you're looking for "pel fired"! news, wait a week or two....or wait for missouri to lose.... or heck, just wait for time to take its course.  No need to refresh jump ball every hour.  But I still say chances of pel being fired in the next three weeks?  We'll call it 65%.  I'm seeingn all these "i told you so!" postings from huggers that had been in hiding.  Hey, if Isaac Brown leaving is a sign of Pel staying for a year, with only 1 single business day passing from the georgia loss, if you think it's a 'done deal' now?  Then you must have a short memory about arkansas athletics.....

sickboy

You honestly think that if Pel is here one more year that Long will lose his job? Do athletic directors get fired that easily?

High Octane Hog

Where have you been Math, Boarford and H K S been smokin' us all night, huh??

razorhead94

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

cityhog

sadly you just typed a tome for no reason.  this was the play by long.  he will trot this out with some new hirings (once the freeze is over).  i sincerely hope you are right, but history is not on our side. 

hog_fan

Long is as stuborn with Pel as Frank was with Nutt. Frank went down with Nutt. Will Long go down with Pel?

linze82

+1 to mathog for giving me some hope that somebody is trying to fix this cluster
smite me bishes

I hope you are right but I have lost most hope that a move is made this year.

Boarford T. Justice

Thanks for the info Math.....I guess I was smokin'
#FreeMarquel

thirtythree

rude1

We can always hope. But seems like JL is going to be able to withstand the onslaught and get to bring his puppet back next year, so he can meddle with in the basketball program some more.

razorbacktim2

Good post as always Matt. While reading I heard Bo the dork Mattingly on the Pigtrail say that John Pelphrey was "trying to change the culture at Arkansas"

Well Bo guess what he has back to back loosing seasons. Good Job Failfrey.
whoever coined that term needs some sort of Hogville Medal or accolade of some kind.

b/c that's the kind of genius that makes message boards wonderful.

Thank you kingofdequeen.

GuvHog

Quote from: mathhog on March 14, 2010, 10:29:01 pm
LET me get this straight........

-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from rich boosters (including offers to pay the buyouts!)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from some BOT members (including a possible hiring freeze on assts... dont know a thing about this just saw it here)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from former players (ernie murray was the first to go public; more are possibly waiting in the wings if they are brave)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from current players (would you transfer if you were happy with pel)
-Chancellor Gearhart & AD Jeff Long have been hearing constant calls for change from fans (were there ads in the newspaper last year after 2-14)

And their response is....

FIRE:
-Isaac brown - young recruiter with ties to gulf coast, mississippi, alabama, and some JR colleges (also the asst with the lowest salary, around 100k)
-Rob Evans - trailblazing legend who personally built Ole Miss basketball into respectability, SEC coach of the year, national coach of the year

KEEP:
-Tom Ostrum - yes, that ostrum, the one that got into a fistfight with Stefan Welsh BEFORE the 09 Ole Miss game in oxford.  the one that has gone 0-fer on all the top recruits so far, and is rumored to be toxic to some of the 'triplets' for the 2011 class anyway!

HIRE:
-Mark Gottfried - not only was he fired from Alabama DURING THE SEASON last year, his DADDY was Pel's boss at South Alabama.  Repeat: Long is intent on hiring a failed coach -- the son of Pel's former boss -- to calm the masses

...In order to make the rich boosters, some BOT members, former players, current players, and fans excited about a sport with back-to-back losing seasons where BWA attendance is at an all-time low?

I'm not going to argue about how poor a disciplinarian pel is, or how chemistry is awful, or how players have quit on him for TWO years in a row, or how pel is the first coach in modern power conference history to go three straight years of WORSE records and keep his job, or how his staff has been sweeping actualy crimes under the rug (and letting them play in games after said crimes to boot!), or how the guy has been a coach for 8 years and only had 3 winning seasons (think about that.... and, mike anderson is 8 of 8 in that arena... ahem).  I'm not going to argue the reasons for firing Pel, everyone here knows them (oh, and if you stil don't , PLEASE describe to me what his offense is, what his defense is, and which sec teams we lost to this year we beat next year and why).

What I am going to ask is thiS:  do these moves sound legit to you?  Do they?  Does this sound like Pel or Long will be here a long time?  Or next year? Can you think of ANY situation where fans are starting to sour on a coach (take gottfried at alabama for example) where former players, currently players, rich folks, and a few board members are getting involved -- and the coach sticks around?  Pel is a lame duck.  He's out of here, folks.

I'm amazed at the sudden emotional mood swings on this board!  12 hours ago everyone was giving each other high-fives because of all the anti-pel traction.  Now, because the lowest paid assistant coach has been "reassigned" -- it means pel is staying next year?

How?  Why?  Why does this mean anything?  It's nothing more than a power play by Jeffy Long to try to quiet the masses.   You do know that both Long's and Gearhart's phones were ringing off the hook with the money on Friday, don't you?  And how they basically rudely dismissed everyone?  Do you somehow think these rich people, are going to say "ah, i had passionate feelings on friday.  players threatened to transfer over the weekend. but the AD fired the 4th coach from the team, so I think I'll be placated on Monday!"  you think these folks make 1 phone call?  you think the people that have building wings and scholarships and professor's chairs and stadium entrances and buildings named after their family on campus give up after 1 call and the dismissal of ISAAC BROWN, who no one even knew of until the day he was fired?  if you think that, you don't know many rich folks...

This thing ain't over.  The next week is going to be verrrrrrrrry interesting.  The heat has been turned up dramatically, and jeff long throws us some bread crumbs.  So it worked?  Really?  These ozark millionaires are happy to let Pittsburgh Jeff tell them what to do?  LOL

Now of course, the wildcard this week STILL is the Board of Trustees.  Always has been.  3 or 4 with a few white hot ain't enough.  But those 3 or 4 can convince a few others if they hear enough dissent from former players, see players transferring, even hear the 'off the record' type stories from wally et al.  When push comes to shove, it's Board > Gearhart > Long > Pel > Pel's assistants.  You're crazy if you think Long will respond to you and I; he'll respond to his boss, who responds to the BOT and the money....   I had said after the Georgia loss that 70% chance of pel being fired in 3 weeks (later changed to 80).   I'd bring it back down to the 60-70 range, simply because the "AD" finally made a move.  But it's STILL ongoing.  I'm not at all certain that Mike Anderson (the obvious fan favorite and cure for ticket woes) would be "the guy" if pel was fired, but there are some rich boosters that love Mike (the whole "racist rich people hate mike because of nolan" thing is way overblown... it's been 10 years, we've suffered for a while while mike succeeded, and the rich folks aren't the same rich folks).  Job #1 is getting Pel gone.

So when does it happen?  I'm not sure it can wait 3 weeks myself.  I'm not sure we just wait for Missouri to lose.  The people that can put pressure on the board, and the rich boosters will be working behind the scenes tomorrow (if not already tonight), and the next three or four DAYS ought to be illuminating.  Sorry to say I doubt I'll really know a lot of concrete details in this part this week, but you can bet that this thing is far, far, far from over.

"Isaac brown" = Pel stays???? um, WHAT? Why?  Seriously, why is this a magical sign it's OVER?  On a sunday afternoon, no less??  Jeff Long, here's a +1 for trying, sweetie pie.  You just keep saying "no" to rich people, okay, that's your choice as AD, but I'd suggest creating an account THIS YEAR at careerbuilder or theladder....

There are really only 2 options now:

1) Pel is retained for 1 more year, and both him AND long are fired in 2011. Pel will not reach the bar that is set, and Long will not get to make the decision to fire him next year.
2) Pel is let go in the next few weeks (after certain teams lose in the NCAAs), and long retains his job for a while.

If you're looking for "pel fired"! news, wait a week or two....or wait for missouri to lose.... or heck, just wait for time to take its course.  No need to refresh jump ball every hour.  But I still say chances of pel being fired in the next three weeks?  We'll call it 65%.  I'm seeingn all these "i told you so!" postings from huggers that had been in hiding.  Hey, if Isaac Brown leaving is a sign of Pel staying for a year, with only 1 single business day passing from the georgia loss, if you think it's a 'done deal' now?  Then you must have a short memory about arkansas athletics.....

Under HIRE:, You left out James Dickey. He's one of the best recruiters in College basketball. Much
better than Isaac Brown.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

luvmesomehogs

cityhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 10:51:09 pm
Yeah.

you must be over the moon tonight.  Long wins, Pel stays.  be sure and check in often next season when Pel takes us the rest of the way down the toilet.

Marshfieldhog

Keep the pressure up, send the letters to the BOT..probably wont work, but at least you went down swinging and let it be known we are not happy. Encourage those with big time seats/big boosters to carry on the fight if you know any. One thing for sure, Pel and Long will be here for about one year or less...unless Pel pulls a rabbit out of his hat and wins big next year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cityhog on March 14, 2010, 10:53:40 pm
you must be over the moon tonight.  Long wins, Pel stays.  be sure and check in often next season when Pel takes us the rest of the way down the toilet.

I'll be here unless I get banned.  I won't be happy until Arkansas basketball is a national contender every year.  I do think Pelphrey should get one more year.  Cry me a river.

BigSexyHog

Thanks Math, the pumpers are working overtime tonight
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

The_Iceman

why is everyone so pissed about hiring Gottfried as an assistant.

I want Pelphrey gone too, but if they are going to hire new assistants, that guy isn't a bad choice.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2010, 11:00:14 pm

I want Pelphrey gone too, but if they are going to hire new assistants, that guy isn't a bad choice.

I don't get it either.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 10:55:22 pm
I'll be here unless I get banned.  I won't be happy until Arkansas basketball is a national contender every year.  I do think Pelphrey should get one more year.  Cry me a river.
You said this same crap at the end of last year. now its wait another year. face it Hogfather. you were wrong about Pel this year. just like you were about Mike Anderson. you keep being wrong!

cityhog

I am far from crying.  You have to be sad to cry.  I'm angry.  I'm angry that March madness means nothing to us again, and to boot OM and MSU's losses to US were factors in keeping them out of the tourney.  I'm sick to my stomach.  Watching the KY invitational this afternoon made me sick.  Those bluebloods gave us their unforgettable, and he has systematically brought this program to depths I honestly thought I would never see.  Thanks Big Blue Nation!  Now please take your Paintersville boy back.

cityhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:03:31 pm
I don't get it either.

ummmm allow me.  Because he was such a bad coach that Bama, yes B-A couldn't care less about basketball- M-A fired him MID-flippin season.  BAMA fired him.  BAMA.

BigSexyHog

THe problem is the mafia of Long, Ostrum, Pel and now it looks like Godfried?  WTH.  They fire or let go of the coaches who might be able to do something, but the ones running the program into the ground are safe, BS!

We went through this with the Murry Street Mafia now we have South Alabama Mafia as a work in progress!!!! Yipppeeeeee!  Lets all get excited. 

Pel won't let Evans do much but his buddy Godfried is going to be hired and all is well.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

BossHog13

You won't be getting a national contender out of John Pelphrey, that's for sure!

Marshfieldhog

Great, another mafia...South Alabama Mafia, get ready to hear that a bunch more. Lets hope that mafia doesn't stick around as long as the Murray State Mafia did.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cityhog on March 14, 2010, 11:04:40 pm
I am far from crying.  You have to be sad to cry.  I'm angry.  I'm angry that March madness means nothing to us again, and to boot OM and MSU's losses to US were factors in keeping them out of the tourney.  I'm sick to my stomach.  Watching the KY invitational this afternoon made me sick.  Those bluebloods gave us their unforgettable, and he has systematically brought this program to depths I honestly thought I would never see.  Thanks Big Blue Nation!  Now please take your Paintersville boy back.

That's the problem is that you guys actually think HE brought us to this level.  We haven't gotten out of the depths yet, but he most assuredly did not "bring this program to depths you honestly thought you'd never see".  Did you miss the last year of Nolan's tenure here or the lawsuit or Heath's first couple of years here?  Did you not see that Heath left over a team with 6 players leaving in one class?

cityhog

March 14, 2010, 11:11:14 pm #28 Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:13:42 pm by cityhog
Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:09:55 pm
That's the problem is that you guys actually think HE brought us to this level.  We haven't gotten out of the depths yet, but he most assuredly did not "bring this program to depths you honestly thought you'd never see".  Did you miss the last year of Nolan's tenure here or the lawsuit or Heath's first couple of years here?  Did you not see that Heath left over a team with 6 players leaving in one class?

year 3 dude.  year 3.  last year fine.  this year?  And yes, I remember all those things you mentioned.  Worst OOC record in how many years?  tied forworst conference record last year in the SEC ALL TIME?!. Nolan and Heath had bad years, but seriously dude, this guy has set some all time new lows for this program.

GuvHog

I agree, and James Dickey isn't a bad choice either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: cityhog on March 14, 2010, 11:06:33 pm
ummmm allow me.  Because he was such a bad coach that Bama, yes B-A couldn't care less about basketball- M-A fired him MID-flippin season.  BAMA fired him.  BAMA.

He is 278-155 as a head coach, including 210-132 at Bama.  He made the NCAAT 5 out of 11 years there, including one year where he went to the Elite 8.  We're not hiring him as a head coach.  But he qualifies as a very good assistant.

forrest city joe

Quote from: BossHog13 on March 14, 2010, 11:09:48 pm
You won't be getting a national contender out of John Pelphrey, that's for sure!
You got that right.

High Octane Hog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:09:55 pm
Respectfully disagree. If RPI is any indication of a coaching failure then JP has hit an all time low.

cityhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:12:39 pm
He is 278-155 as a head coach, including 210-132 at Bama.  He made the NCAAT 5 out of 11 years there, including one year where he went to the Elite 8.  We're not hiring him as a head coach.  But he qualifies as a very good assistant.

Which is where Pel should still be.  An asst.

Hog Milanese

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 14, 2010, 11:13:41 pm
You got that right.

PEL WOULD TAKE UK'S CURRENT ROSTER AND LOSE IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE NIT.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cityhog on March 14, 2010, 11:11:14 pm
year 3 dude.  year 3.  last year fine.  this year?  And yes, I remember all those things you mentioned.  Worst OOC record in how many years?  tied forworst conference record last year in the SEC ALL TIME?!. Nolan and Heath had bad years, but seriously dude, this guy has set some all time new lows for this program.

It was a weird situation because he was hired when the previous coach had an NCAAT team coming back his 1st year.  However, he had a month to recruit when he was hired here and then the next year, we were losing AT BARE MINIMUM 6 players, thanks to Heath.  Another decided to cheat and go to Europe.  Yet another who was recruited by Heath wasn't good enough to outproduce a walk-on.

This is year 2 of a complete rebuild.

mathhog

LOL on this strange new respect for mark gottfreid!!!!!

1. If gottfried is sooooo awesome and Isaac brown is a problem, why not fire Isaac and hire mark LAST March???

2. Would mark gottfreid still get this job if his daddy wasn't Pels old boss at south Alabama??

Sheesh didn't we learn to distrust these mafia groups when nutt was here?????????

The Hogfather

Quote from: cityhog on March 14, 2010, 11:16:14 pm
Which is where Pel should still be.  An asst.

Yeah, change the subject now that I showed you that Gottfried is more than worthy of an assistant gig here.

coolhog

Long intends to keep Pel at least one more year. That is why he raised football tickets.
I think he believes in him, and also knows that there will be a decrease in season
tickets bought this year. He is going to offset it buy tagging football season ticket
holders primarily because he has a lot of excitement happening with football
and they will pay an increase.

Hog Milanese

Quote from: mathhog on March 14, 2010, 11:18:10 pm

1. If gottfried is sooooo awesome and Isaac brown is a problem, why not fire Isaac and hire mark LAST March???

2. Would mark gottfreid still get this job if his daddy wasn't Pels old boss at south Alabama??

Sheesh didn't we learn to distrust these mafia groups when nutt was here?????????

WE HAVEN'T LEARNED A DARN THING.

AND LONG IS LAUGHING IT UP.

cityhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:17:48 pm
It was a weird situation because he was hired when the previous coach had an NCAAT team coming back his 1st year.  However, he had a month to recruit when he was hired here and then the next year, we were losing AT BARE MINIMUM 6 players, thanks to Heath.  Another decided to cheat and go to Europe.  Yet another who was recruited by Heath wasn't good enough to outproduce a walk-on.

This is year 2 of a complete rebuild.
And how many of Pel's recruits have bailed in those two years?  Bad recruiter, bad coach.

kaiserhog

Heath left him with 6 seniors.  His first recruiting class was an epic fail.  In retrospect the Heath firing looks disastrous.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hog Milanese on March 14, 2010, 11:17:39 pm
PEL WOULD TAKE UK'S CURRENT ROSTER AND LOSE IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE NIT.

Yet he took the Hogs' 2008 roster to the second round of the NCAAT.  Come on.  At least be realistic.

hog_fan

Rob Evans hasn't been fired yet. Expect him to "retire".

mathhog

Hogfather: year 2 of a rebuild? How then do you justify 14-16 to 14-18?  And don't give me the sec line... The secwest had ZERO teams dancing for the first ever time, and lsu was 0-11 at one point. 7-9 in this year equals about 4-12 any other year.  Rebuilds should IMPROVE.  Plus now players are leaving!!!

forrest city joe

March 14, 2010, 11:21:39 pm #45 Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:27:23 pm by forrest city joe
Come on Hogfather. how did it all work out for you this year? Mike Anderson did not have that terrible rebuilding season you said he would. and Pel's team still stunk it up. you keep being wrong for some reason. and where is the post season play you said we would be in this year?when Fortson came back, you still said we would make the NIT. where is it?

The Hogfather

Quote from: cityhog on March 14, 2010, 11:19:07 pm
And how many of Pel's recruits have bailed in those two years?  Bad recruiter, bad coach.

Not as many as Heath left him to replace after his first year here.  He's missed on some guys for sure and those misses are on him.  However, that doesn't change the fact that he was left with starting over from square one after his 1st year here and didn't even have a full year to replace all the guys who were leaving.  He took some chances he probably shouldn't have, but most coaches would've in that position.

Hog Milanese

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:19:47 pm
Yet he took the Hogs' 2008 roster to the second round of the NCAAT.  Come on.  At least be realistic.

SORRY, I GUESS YOU DON'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR?

I WOULDN'T EITHER, AT A TIME LIKE THIS. THINGS ARE BLEAK.

BUT SINCE YOU BROUGHT IT UP ... THAT TEAM WAS ONE OF OUR MOST TALENTED IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, AND PEL BARELY GOT AN NCAAT WIN AND LOST THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP TO A PITIFUL GEORGIA TEAM. THAT WAS THE FIRST SIGN HE WASN'T A GOOD COACH, AND JUST HAD A TEAM FULL OF SENIORS TO BUY HIM A YEAR.

cityhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2010, 11:18:41 pm
Yeah, change the subject now that I showed you that Gottfried is more than worthy of an assistant gig here.
I give you his last 3 years.  3 being the magic #, and BAMA fired him.

2006–2007   Alabama   20-12    7-9   3(t) - West   NIT 1st Round
2007–2008   Alabama   17-16           5-11           5 - West   Declined invitation to CBI
2008–2009   Alabama†   12-7           2-3           3 - West   

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: mathhog on March 14, 2010, 11:18:10 pm

I brought it up and said the same thing.  Why do we want a coach that can't get a job anywhere, unless his dad gets it for him?
#FreeMarquel