Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Out of Gas

Started by ArkansasI, March 10, 2018, 03:20:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

3rd game in 3 days. Finished last night late, taking the court 15 hours later...

This is tough. That's why you have to earn that bye.

Go Hogs!

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Dr. Starcs

No. Our first half offensively was the same as last night. They just can't miss.

TNhawgfan

They have been the more consistent team all year, but yes, this game shows why you don't win this tournament without the double bye
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hog Pharm

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 10, 2018, 03:23:51 pm
They have been the more consistent team all year, but yes, this game shows why you don't win this tournament without the double bye

Yes, I'm sure it's playing a part but Tennessee is just better.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 10, 2018, 03:22:00 pm
No. Our first half offensively was the same as last night. They just can't miss.

True but 29 pts per half isn't close to good enough. Don't think we can put up 50 in the second like last night.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 10, 2018, 03:22:00 pm

This. And it's not even like we're playing bad defense. Tennessee is just playing very well today.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Hog Pharm on March 10, 2018, 03:33:28 pm
True but 29 pts per half isn't close to good enough. Don't think we can put up 50 in the second like last night.

Probably not. But fatigue isn't the reason we're losing.

raz1965

All tin e c today, out of gas not issue.

hawganatic

So what you're saying is the Missouri game last weekend really was an important game, despite what a lot of posters were claiming about it not being relevant.

luke hawg

We have no legs better to lose today if your not going to win it all.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hawganatic on March 10, 2018, 04:08:47 pm
So what you're saying is the Missouri game last weekend really was an important game, despite what a lot of posters were claiming about it not being relevant.

We would've gone 0-1 or maybe 1-1 had we beaten Mizzou.
I'd rather be 2-1 like we're headed for.

But I do get your point.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: luke hawg on March 10, 2018, 04:09:41 pm
We have no legs better to lose today if your not going to win it all.

Good point

nesjunk

No team in the country would have led Tennessee at the half today.  None.

King Kong

3 games in 36 hours is hard. Let's get rested and win some NCAAt games

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: nesjunk on March 10, 2018, 04:11:30 pm

Quote from: King Kong on March 10, 2018, 04:11:55 pm
3 games in 36 hours is hard. Let's get rested and win some NCAAt games

Agreed. Go Hogs!

ArkansasI

Of course the Missouri game mattered. We did the same thing to Vandy in last year's tourney.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 10, 2018, 04:10:06 pm
We would've gone 0-1 or maybe 1-1 had we beaten Mizzou.

And you know this how?

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 10, 2018, 04:22:46 pm
And you know this how?

The same way you know a double bye would have helped us.

Hook 'em Hogs

I think we've played well today. This performance beats teams that aren't shooting 60% with hands in their faces most of the time.  We've been okay offensively and not nearly as bad as it looks defensively. 

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 10, 2018, 04:24:09 pm
The same way you know a double bye would have helped us.
Well the history of the tournament shows having to play fewer games helps in the weekend

AFWarrior83

Yep, we're exhausted. Still played decent. Tennessee just shot lights out in the first half, and we can't make a big enough run to get a lead.
Hogville member since 2005.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 10, 2018, 04:26:03 pm
Well the history of the tournament shows having to play fewer games helps in the weekend

I agree. I'm just saying more than likely we weren't gonna beat Georgia and Kentucky the way we knocked off usce and Florida

twistitup

Mike's about to give them gas MONEY - we finish out this 4 min on a huge run to win the game.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TNhawgfan

Quote from: twistitup on March 10, 2018, 04:27:44 pm
Mike's about to give them gas MONEY - we finish out this 4 min on a huge run to win the game.
You been huffing that gas

razorpimp

Just shows how important it is to get a double bye....look at the first gAme of the day

la20688

Quote from: hawganatic on March 10, 2018, 04:08:47 pm
Of course it was important. But winning that game was going to be
Ike running uphill pulling  a truck behind you. If you notice the scores from the last day of the regular season, only one visiting team won, and that was Vandy at Ole Miss.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 10, 2018, 03:20:31 pm
3rd game in 3 days. Finished last night late, taking the court 15 hours later...

Go Hogs!

Not to mention going up a team that only missed twice from the FT line and very seldom from behind the arc.  That kind of shooting is very hard to overcomeno matter how rested you are!

TushCrush

Quote from: nesjunk on March 10, 2018, 04:11:30 pm
This is true. With a double bye in their back pocket.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 10, 2018, 03:20:31 pm

Go Hogs!
Exactly.

They put a lot of intensity into that Florida game. They really wanted that game.

Tenn had advantage of 'revenge' from the first matchup on Dec 30.

Hogs trying to play at 2:30 Saturday after finishing at 10:30 Friday night. Just really hard to do. Tenn had a full 24 hours to rest.

Each game and each win improves your situation...whether it's for your conference tourney...or to improve your seed in the NCAA. Don't listen to anybody who says 'this game or that game doesn't mean anything'. They all mean something down the road.

razorback1829

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 10, 2018, 07:05:23 pm
Exactly.

They put a lot of intensity into that Florida game. They really wanted that game.

Tenn had advantage of 'revenge' from the first matchup on Dec 30.

Hogs trying to play at 2:30 Saturday after finishing at 10:30 Friday night. Just really hard to do. Tenn had a full 24 hours to rest.

Each game and each win improves your situation...whether it's for your conference tourney...or to improve your seed in the NCAA. Don't listen to anybody who says 'this game doesn't mean anything'. They all mean something down the road.

Was at the team hotel. They didn't walk in the door last nite until after mid nite. Saw some players later on getting massages trying to get ready for the short turnaround in the hallways around 1am. Proud of them. Had no legs.

alohawg

I bet the team would have gotten better gas mileage if the coach hadn't insisted on wasting gas with the press today, and instead just played solid half court zone with Thompson and Gafford against their big front line.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

razorback1829

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 07:10:00 pm
I bet the team would have gotten better gas mileage if the coach hadn't insisted on wasting gas with the press today, and instead just played solid half court zone with Thompson and Gafford against their big front line.

Wrong. They shot us out of the zone with ease. Just wasn't there. But I doubt you know a thing about playing high level basketball 3 straight days, 2 against very good teams. Yea you know nothing. Just stop.

alohawg

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 10, 2018, 07:19:12 pm
Wrong. They shot us out of the zone with ease. Just wasn't there. But I doubt you know a thing about playing high level basketball 3 straight days, 2 against very good teams. Yea you know nothing. Just stop.

I know the odds were in our favor that their % would drop in the 2nd half regardless, and that if we did not press, we would get more mileage out of those tired legs. But hey, it was only an 18 point difference, so yeah, what do I know.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

razorback1829

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 07:25:57 pm
I know the odds were in our favor that their % would drop in the 2nd half regardless, and that if we did not press, we would get more mileage out of those tired legs. But hey, it was only an 18 point difference, so yeah, what do I know.

Nothing. Nothing at all. Thanks for playing.

HoopS

Credit Tenn. They played great.

And it was also easy to see we had just played a game late the night before. The SEC really needs to push the Saturday games back for that reason. Couple that with our style of play and the outcome was predictable.

Not even upset. I think our seed is pretty stable. Get back and rest up and be sharp Thursday/Friday.

alohawg

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 10, 2018, 07:29:09 pm

Yes, it's nothing to nobodies.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

razorback1829

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 07:37:59 pm
Yes, it's nothing to nobodies.

No you just have no ground to stand on. Very ignorant.

HoopS

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 10, 2018, 07:29:09 pm
I am not sure some really credit the level of play. It is extremely fast and precise. Little things were pretty clear though. Tenn was just a bit quicker at times. Couple times I saw Macon's legs just not fire for him. Handles just weren't as crisp for some. It doesn't take much against an elite athlete.

alohawg

Quote from: HoopS on March 10, 2018, 07:39:09 pm
I am not sure some really credit the level of play. It is extremely fast and precise. Little things were pretty clear though. Tenn was just a bit quicker at times. Couple times I saw Macon's legs just not fire for him. Handles just weren't as crisp for some. It doesn't take much against an elite athlete.

And yet Mike had them pressing, brilliant.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

razorback1829

Quote from: HoopS on March 10, 2018, 07:39:09 pm

Exactly. Anybody with a set of eyeballs could see we were a couple steps slow. Didn't get a lot of 50/50 balls.. I was seeing the ball just fall through our guys hands on rebounds. Didn't have enough in the tank for those 3rd and 4th efforts. Matters a lot when you're playing against a high level team like Tennessee. And they really wanted it. You could tell by all the chirping that was going on during the game. It was personal for them.

hawgfan4life

Some fans will criticize MA no matter if he wins the NC.

Tenn came into the game motivated and hitting on all cylinders from the start.  AR seemed to be sluggish and still managed to hang around for most of the first half.  One thing I know from being in and around athletics for years.  When your playing great and winning, everything is easier, you don't get nearly as tired, and you don't feel the pain as much.  When you are struggling, things get harder, you lose your mental ability to play free and start making more mistakes, you start feeling tired easier, you lose your motivation after a point, and everything hurts more.  AR was a little sluggish, but they showed up to play.  However, when TN hit virtually every shot they threw up and virtually every ball bounced their way, it took a mental and physical toll on the Hogs.  They still managed to fight and made a run, but TN regrouped during the clock issue and the game was over at that point.  AR didn't have the mental and physical ability to make another push.  Had they been fully in the game at that point, they would have found the will to keep fighting.  That is what happens in games and it isn't a reflection of the coach, coaching, players heart, etc.  It happens to all! Congrats to TN.  I will be mildly surprised if KY doesn't hand them their butts tomorrow.

bvillepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 10, 2018, 07:52:42 pm

Tenn came into the game motivated and hitting on all cylinders from the start.  AR seemed to be sluggish and still managed to hang around for most of the first half.  One thing I know from being in and around athletics for years.  When your playing great and winning, everything is easier, you don't get nearly as tired, and you don't feel the pain as much.  When you are struggling, things get harder, you lose your mental ability to play free and start making more mistakes, you start feeling tired easier, you lose your motivation after a point, and everything hurts more.  AR was a little sluggish, but they showed up to play.  However, when TN hit virtually every shot they threw up and virtually every ball bounced their way, it took a mental and physical toll on the Hogs.  They still managed to fight and made a run, but TN regrouped during the clock issue and the game was over at that point.  AR didn't have the mental and physical ability to make another push.  Had they been fully in the game at that point, they would have found the will to keep fighting.  That is what happens in games and it isn't a reflection of the coach, coaching, players heart, etc.  It happens to all! Congrats to TN.  I will be mildly surprised if KY doesn't hand them their butts tomorrow.

Great post. Those of us who have played understand these types of games.  Doesn't make it easier but it happens.

HoopS

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 07:40:45 pm
[/quote
Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 07:40:45 pm
haha. Well he's not one to quit. He tried to push his guys through it and if a few things go our way the energy picks up and who knows. Despite what some want to believe, Mike knows what he's doing.

razorback1829

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 10, 2018, 07:52:42 pm

This.

alohawg

Quote from: HoopS on March 10, 2018, 08:01:18 pm
haha. Well he's not one to quit. He tried to push his guys through it and if a few things go our way the energy picks up and who knows. Despite what some want to believe, Mike knows what he's doing.

Thus only an 18 pt. loss I guess, yeah? I'm sure if he didn't know what he's doing it would've really been bad.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Danny J

Honestly I'll take losing to Tenn if meant beating Florida, finishing 3rd in the SECt and praying for a 6 seed on Friday night. Now we have to hope to be in a close region against an opponent we watch up well with and pray for the best. Of I were CMA I would slow things down a bit for our first game and save our legs then come out guns a blazing for our Sunday game IF we get a Friday/Sunday matchup.

HoopS

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 08:52:34 pm
Thus only an 18 pt. loss I guess, yeah? I'm sure if he didn't know what he's doing it would've really been bad.
lol. Ok.

Randohoggie

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 08:52:34 pm

Were you born a total dummy or did you have to work at it?

hobhog

Quote from: Danny J on March 10, 2018, 08:53:09 pm
Honestly I'll take losing to Tenn if meant beating Florida, finishing 3rd in the SECt and praying for a 6 seed on Friday night. Now we have to hope to be in a close region against an opponent we watch up well with and pray for the best. Of I were CMA I would slow things down a bit for our first game and save our legs then come out guns a blazing for our Sunday game IF we get a Friday/Sunday matchup.

You make it sound like its just pushing buttons. CMA better not try to save anything for a game 2.