Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Presidents Cup vs the Ryder

Started by GolfNut57, October 01, 2017, 04:36:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

Exactly what makes these two events different from each other? Seems to me they use the very same formats and team makeups.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Well, the Ryder Cup is the U.S. vs Europe, while the President's Cup is US vs everyone but Europe.

userpick

Quote from: ricepig on October 01, 2017, 04:47:44 pm
Well, the Ryder Cup is the U.S. vs Europe, while the President's Cup is US vs everyone but Europe.

I agree.

EastexHawg

I'll just throw this out there since for years the story was that Mickelson and Tiger underperformed in the Ryder and Presidents Cups.  Phil is undefeated (5-0-2) in the last two Presidents Cups and 7-3-1 in the Ryder Cup going back to 2012.  If he is close to qualifying and I am the captain he is going to be on the team.

HognitiveDissonance

Both are international competitions designed to promote good will and sportsmanship between different countries. However, the Ryder Cup in the past 20 years has turned into a grudge fest, while the President's Cup has maintained a more relaxed vibe.

I tend to agree with Jack Nicklaus who has bemoaned the cutthroat nature of the Ryder Cup now and has gotten away from the original purpose. "The President's Cup is what the Ryder Cup used to be."

Jackrabbit Hog

The difference is that the Ryder Cup is usually compelling television and is filled with tension.  The President's Cup is a made-for-TV event that still hasn't really caught the public's attention.  It's forced, created by the PGA Tour.  I mean, seriously, how can you feel a sense of team and playing for country when you need an interpreter so teammates can communicate?  Hideki Matsuyama and Louis Oosthuizen are great at playing golf and that's about where the similarities end.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 04, 2017, 01:22:15 pm
The difference is that the Ryder Cup is usually compelling television and is filled with tension.  The President's Cup is a made-for-TV event that still hasn't really caught the public's attention.  It's forced, created by the PGA Tour.  I mean, seriously, how can you feel a sense of team and playing for country when you need an interpreter so teammates can communicate?  Hideki Matsuyama and Louis Oosthuizen are great at playing golf and that's about where the similarities end.

I thought you were going to say Poulter sinking 45ft putts to halve a hole or slam dunking a wedge to win a hole was the difference.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 01:26:06 pm
I thought you were going to say Poulter sinking 45ft putts to halve a hole or slam dunking a wedge to win a hole was the difference.

Europe has bug-eyed Poulter.  Internationals have Anirban Lahiri.   Do I need to say anything else?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.