Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Range Finders

Started by b_stackhouse, April 17, 2017, 08:28:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

b_stackhouse

Who all in here uses a rangefinder? I just got a new one from Golf Warehouse. It's actually made by Golf Warehouse and is called the Phoenix. It was $180 but comes with Slope. Used it a lot over the past 4 days. I really like it. I was comparing it with my buddy's Bushnell and it was getting the same readings within a yard or two.

The only thing I wish it had is the jolt feature when it locks in on a target. It has the pin seeking technology, but doesn't have the jolt feature.

It is also super easy to take out of slope mode if I happen to play in a tournament. It's a very solid rangefinder at a very reasonable price.

ricepig

I use a Bushnell if I'm playing with my high school golfing son, otherwise I use the sprinkle heads which are marked.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 09:54:03 am
otherwise I use the sprinkle heads which are marked.

Certainly cheaper!  ;)  I wish PV had better markers but I've played the course so often it's not big deal.  No more consistent than I am with my irons, if I know the 100, 150 and 200 yard distances I'm good to go.  I don't hit every iron flush and that difference alone is worth 10-15 yards so knowing if it's 152 or 158 is no big deal.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 17, 2017, 10:32:28 am
Certainly cheaper!  ;)  I wish PV had better markers but I've played the course so often it's not big deal.  No more consistent than I am with my irons, if I know the 100, 150 and 200 yard distances I'm good to go.  I don't hit every iron flush and that difference alone is worth 10-15 yards so knowing if it's 152 or 158 is no big deal.

Yeah, I just hope I hit it semi-straight. I'm happy when I hit one flush, I don't care if it's 10 yards long, or 10 yards short, haha. My son carries 3 wedges, sometimes 4, he likes to know to the yard.

cosmodrum

April 17, 2017, 11:07:11 am #4 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:34:09 am by cosmodrum
I have the Bushnell v2 with slope. It's the model before they added the jolt feature, but to me it's unnecessary.
Go away, batin'

TheJoeyBucketz

I use one. Had a sky caddie for years and I liked its flexibility but I got tired of stroking a check for a membership every year.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

GolfNut57

I use both the SkyCaddie and a Bushnell. Bushnell works for most of the time but if I want to track how far I am hitting any particular club then the SkyCaddie is the way to go. Plus it is more useful than the Bushnell when it comes to layup distances to the hazards due to the fact that even though you know a hazard, (bunker or water) is ahead of you, you can't easily see it well enough from the fairway to shoot it with the Bushnell. I do not use both during the round though. Pre-round I decide which one I am going with for that day. But each have their advantages over the other for sure.

IF I am playing a course I am totally unfamiliar with I will go with the SkyCaddie simply for the fact that it will give me layup distances to avoid hazards.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 09:54:03 am
I use a Bushnell if I'm playing with my high school golfing son, otherwise I use the sprinkle heads which are marked.

Sure sprinkler heads are nice to use. IF they are actually marked and the yardage is legible on them. On a lot of courses around central AR the sprinkler head numbers are wore out or are outright missing.

But then if you play the higher upscale courses I guess that isn't a problem.  ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 17, 2017, 02:15:32 pm
Sure sprinkler heads are nice to use. IF they are actually marked and the yardage is legible on them. On a lot of courses around central AR the sprinkler head numbers are wore out or are outright missing.

But then if you play the higher upscale courses I guess that isn't a problem.  ;)

Well, my course has them marked, and seriously, I know how far I'm out on every hole. Now, the sub 80 yards shots, I like to know how far the pin is away, not that it's going to matter, lol.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 02:26:21 pm
Well, my course has them marked, and seriously, I know how far I'm out on every hole. Now, the sub 80 yards shots, I like to know how far the pin is away, not that it's going to matter, lol.

Surprisingly, they don't generally put sprinkler heads where I hit from.  More like drainage pipes, mowers, mulch piles...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 17, 2017, 03:05:06 pm
Surprisingly, they don't generally put sprinkler heads where I hit from.  More like drainage pipes, mowers, mulch piles...

That was my round this afternoon, I sometimes wonder why I continue to play.....

Boarcephus

I just know there are a ton of them on the course these days.  I've actually found 2 of them and turned them both in. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 18, 2017, 06:02:56 am
I just know there are a ton of them on the course these days.  I've actually found 2 of them and turned them both in. 

My youngest has "lost" his twice, thankfully, it was found. He usually leaves it someone else's cart, I didn't know he ever road with someone else, or a friend borrowed it and stuck it in his bag. I think 2 weeks was the longest it was missing.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 17, 2017, 03:05:06 pm
Yeah they need to put yardages on the trees and out of bounds stakes for me. I have a guy who yells fore for me...he rides in a helicopter, only way to get that far right

Ex-Trumpet

Anyone ever used this one from Amazon?  It has pinseeking tech, slope, 6x zoom, and is $150.

Reviews are good, but would like an unbiased opinion if possible!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9VXVT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 21, 2017, 11:01:59 am
Anyone ever used this one from Amazon?  It has pinseeking tech, slope, 6x zoom, and is $150.

Reviews are good, but would like an unbiased opinion if possible!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9VXVT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Range: 5 to 800 yards (5 to 250 yards to golf flag) . Accuracy: +/- 1 yard

5-800 yards but only 5-250 to the flag? I assume that means you gotta be within 250 yards before it will lock in on the flag? If so it doesn't sound like that great a price. And 5 yards? Who needs a rangefinder for 15 feet? lol

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 21, 2017, 02:29:19 pm

5-800 yards but only 5-250 to the flag? I assume that means you gotta be within 250 yards before it will lock in on the flag? If so it doesn't sound like that great a price. And 5 yards? Who needs a rangefinder for 15 feet? lol

It's a severe slope, it plays more like 6 yards, no wonder you play bogey golf.......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2017, 02:33:07 pm
It's a severe slope, it plays more like 6 yards, no wonder you play bogey golf.......

He didn't account for the windmill.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Ex-Trumpet

Some of the reviews said it would work beyond 250, but was harder to lock on the flag.

And let's be honest...how many of us are between clubs at 250?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 21, 2017, 02:41:52 pm
Some of the reviews said it would work beyond 250, but was harder to lock on the flag.

I'm looking for a tee at 250......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 21, 2017, 02:41:52 pm

I can't even see the flag from 250. 

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 21, 2017, 02:54:30 pm
I can't even see the flag from 250. 

Tell me....my youngest and I were playing the other day, he hits his 5 iron from 185 to the green. I asked him if he's in the bunker, he looks at my like I'm crazy and says, "it's 5 feet from the pin, can't you see it?" I told him I could see the bunker, it's white!

clutch

I don't think the 5-250 makes a difference. Who needs and exact distance from 250? Only people I can think of are pros and they aren't using range finders.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: clutch on April 24, 2017, 02:12:57 pm
I don't think the 5-250 makes a difference. Who needs and exact distance from 250? Only people I can think of are pros and they aren't using range finders.

They will be!!