Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Donovan to Magic --Anthony Grant from VCU to be UF's next coach (links)

Started by BleedsBlue, May 31, 2007, 04:24:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

southern hawg

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 31, 2007, 04:24:19 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888555

So, what will happen to his 07 recruits?
It will depend on who they get as his replacement and this is a bad time to have to start looking for a new head coach.  It is unfortunate for guys like Jai Lucas, but you guys could be the beneficiary if he decides to transfer.

BleedsBlue

Quote from: southern hawg on May 31, 2007, 04:31:31 pm
Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 31, 2007, 04:24:19 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888555

So, what will happen to his 07 recruits?
It will depend on who they get as his replacement and this is a bad time to have to start looking for a new head coach.  It is unfortunate for guys like Jai Lucas, but you guys could be the beneficiary if he decides to transfer.

Lucas and/or Tyus maybe.

southern hawg

It will be interesting to see who Florida goes after now.

BleedsBlue

Hogstocking

It still amazes me after the likes of Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Lon Kruger, Mike Montgomery, Tim Floyd (off the top of my head) NBA teams still go after college coaches.  For whatever reason they just dont seem to translate well to the NBA.   The same can be said about college football coaches and the NFL too.

southern hawg

Quote from: Hogstocking on May 31, 2007, 05:16:37 pm
It still amazes me after the likes of Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Lon Kruger, Mike Montgomery, Tim Floyd (off the top of my head) NBA teams still go after college coaches.  For whatever reason they just dont seem to translate well to the NBA.   The same can be said about college football coaches and the NFL too.
I agree, but in the end.....36 MILLION DOLLARS

navyhog24

It still amazes me after the likes of Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Lon Kruger, Mike Montgomery, Tim Floyd (off the top of my head) NBA teams still go after college coaches.  For whatever reason they just dont seem to translate well to the NBA.   The same can be said about college football coaches and the NFL too.

bu then there is always the dale browns and jimmy johnsons

Hogstocking

Quote from: southern hawg on May 31, 2007, 05:20:14 pm
It still amazes me after the likes of Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Lon Kruger, Mike Montgomery, Tim Floyd (off the top of my head) NBA teams still go after college coaches.  For whatever reason they just dont seem to translate well to the NBA.   The same can be said about college football coaches and the NFL too.
I agree, but in the end.....36 MILLION DOLLARS

That's what I'm talking about.  The track record of college coaches in the NBA and the Magic are willing to throw that kind of money at him.   Hard to turn down that kind of money, but if I were him I'd be like coach K (turned down the lakers) stay at UF and be worshipped, still make a TON of money and have a college basketball powerhouse.  If he doesnt win in 2-3 years at Orlando he'll be back coaching college anyway.

southern hawg

Hogstocking

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 31, 2007, 05:04:55 pm
Quote from: southern hawg on May 31, 2007, 05:03:49 pm

Reports are VCU's Anthony Grant

What about Billy G?

(sorry, i couldnt resist hehehehe)

Pass the Sugar

Agreed.  I think it's been proven without a shadow of a doubt that college coaches bomb in the pros.  He'll be back in college basketball in no time.

I think this is as much about marketing as anything.  Orlando's trying to compete with Miami for the Florida basketball dollar.

The Boar War

I'm pretty sure that an AD of Foley's caliber had the foresight to gamplan this.  Donovan has flirted with the Memphis Grizzlies, and (to a lesser extent) Kentucky so far.  I imagine they saw this coming and have somebody waiting.  With the success Florida has had recently it shouldn't have been a hard sale.

tbhogfan

How will this effect their last recruiting class?  Would any of them reconsider their commitment?
Go Hogs!

hogninja

Quote from: southern hawg on May 31, 2007, 05:51:43 pm
They're now reporting 5 years, 5.5 million per.

The thing is that he gets his contract price even if he bombs and then goes back to the college ranks 28 mil richer.  Oh well, to have such problems!! :razorback:

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 31, 2007, 05:04:55 pm

Reports are VCU's Anthony Grant

People in Florida have said for the last few years that if Donovan left, Grant would be his replacement.  He is the one who came in and showed Donovan how to identify the right mix of players to play together.  Before Grant, Florida was just signing the best players available.  Arkansas is in a good position with Pelphrey, but I still think that they made a mistake by passing on Anthony Grant.  When I saw S.Alabama play agaisnt UALR, they were just flying up and down the court throwing up threes, which was exciting but the team became vulnerable when the trey was not falling.  I believe Pelphrey will make adjustments at this level.