Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reminder: Paul Rhoads was terrible at Iowa St.

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, October 27, 2017, 08:14:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Bert bringing on failed coaches is only doubling down on his bad decisions.

Nobody thought Rhoads had done a good job in Ames, yet he's somehow the savior for the Razorback defense.

The defense everyone keeps saying is improved yet keeps getting half a hundred hung on them.

The 3-4 only magnified the problems with the defensive roster. I said from the moment the switch was brought up that Arkansas didn't have enough LBrs for a quality starting lineup in a 4-3 and was forced to play 4-2-5 that there was no way they'd have enough LBrs for even a 2-deep.

They say you gotta have a dominant NG to play 3-4, we line up our NG a yard off the LOS so our slow fatties can get a running start at getting blown off the line.  There's no pressure from our defense and I believe that is a maxim from ol' Bertimus. He's pulled the reigns on the defense from his first day here.  Soft as soft can be.

Bringing in failed HC's only looks good on paper until you dig into the reasons that made them a failed HC in the first place.

It might take a raving lunatic to fix this mess in Fayetteville.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hog.goblin

Terrible would be inaccurate.  His first 4 years might be best 4 years for Iowa St in my lifetime.  It was followed by 3 poor years and he was understandably fired.

Inhogswetrust

He was considered good. He has been considered a really good defensive coach for a long time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

He'll be gone in 6 weeks.

...and yes, he's never been good.

EastexHawg

He was 32-55 at Iowa State.  Johnny Majors was 24-30.  Sort of a push, although Majors would have only had to go 8-25 in his next four years to surpass Rhoads...

Piggfoot

He became a victim of the "Peter Principle"
Good defensive coach but unsuccessful as a head coach. To be fair you probably should not evaluate him on his record as a head coach. To evaluate him as a DC though will require a little more research.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

EastexHawg

His entire rep was built on one upset if Oklahoma State.

code red

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 27, 2017, 08:33:47 pm
He was considered good. He has been considered a really good defensive coach for a long time.
In the Big 12 lol
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Tusks

Grantham at MSU is a better example of what a new DC should be able to do.

84th to 8th in total D.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HiggiePiggy

He was the head coach when they last had a winning season.  He wasn't good there, but not many have been. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pork Twain

People say the darndest things...  Some guys are better coordinators than they are HCs
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PossumFan

His defense this year stinks, and that's all I care about.

razorsharp94

Rhodes was 32-55 at Iowa St. heck that's going to be a better record than Bret Bielema at Arkansas. Haha

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 27, 2017, 10:29:48 pm
People say the darndest things...  Some guys are better coordinators than they are HCs

And he's not good at either.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PossumFan on October 27, 2017, 10:56:17 pm
His defense this year stinks, and that's all I care about.

sad part is, it's gotten better each of the last 2 years... shows how bad it was.. 

Steef

I don't want him as HC. But...

1. He's one of the few coaches on the sideline showing energy during the game.
2. The defense HAS improved under him.
3. The very best defense cannot do its job for four quarters when the offense cant make first downs.
4. He hasn't had (and still doesnt have) 11 SEC caliber players for starters, much less a 2 deep, to work with.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 27, 2017, 08:14:20 pm
Bert bringing on failed coaches is only doubling down on his bad decisions.

Nobody thought Rhoads had done a good job in Ames, yet he's somehow the savior for the Razorback defense.

The defense everyone keeps saying is improved yet keeps getting half a hundred hung on them.

The 3-4 only magnified the problems with the defensive roster. I said from the moment the switch was brought up that Arkansas didn't have enough LBrs for a quality starting lineup in a 4-3 and was forced to play 4-2-5 that there was no way they'd have enough LBrs for even a 2-deep.

They say you gotta have a dominant NG to play 3-4, we line up our NG a yard off the LOS so our slow fatties can get a running start at getting blown off the line.  There's no pressure from our defense and I believe that is a maxim from ol' Bertimus. He's pulled the reigns on the defense from his first day here.  Soft as soft can be.

Bringing in failed HC's only looks good on paper until you dig into the reasons that made them a failed HC in the first place.

It might take a raving lunatic to fix this mess in Fayetteville.
You should stop trying to be a "thinker". You're not any good at it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Steef on October 28, 2017, 07:03:27 am

3. The very best defense cannot do its job for four quarters when the offense cant make first downs.
4. He hasn't had (and still doesnt have) 11 SEC caliber players for starters, much less a 2 deep, to work with.

I do like him as well and for reasons you stated.. but, I also would not be completely upset if he was given the HC job, though I don't see that happening.. another option would be, if we hired a new coach w/o much experience, like Norvell or Neal Brown, might they keep him as DC?

PORKULATOR

OP can take his "Bert" crap to hell with him. You heard me... Straight there, do not pass go... Jackwagon!
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

East Clintwood

Bert needs to be fired.

Right after or at the same time Jeffy is fired.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

solitons

1. our cheer leaders show more energy than anybody.
2. not so much,
3 and 4. you always can blame for this

raZor71

I think Rhoads co-ordinates the D the way Bret wants or limits him to. Coach B "teased" before Rob Smith and Paul Rhoads took over the D that we would be more aggressive. Hasn't happened! Coach B has said numerous times that he likes "sound" defense that keeps everything in front of them. This type of D, IMO is one of his downfalls! 

JoeyCapital

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 27, 2017, 08:39:52 pm
He'll be gone in 6 weeks.

...and yes, he's never been good.
You don't know jack. He may be, but you stating it like it's fact when your only sources are the voices in your head is awesome.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

onebadrubi

Quote from: golf2day on October 28, 2017, 08:57:53 am
You don't know jack. He may be, but you stating it like it's fact when your only sources are the voices in your head is awesome.

said tuna GF was SMOKING HOT!!!

PorkRinds

All true.

Torqued pork

I would think Rhoads would probably be no higher than #4 on the list, but who really knows.

rogersvillemohog

The issue was Bret making the change to the 3-4 with a defensive coordinator who has no history of running the 3-4. Rhodes is a very good defensive coach and Arkansas is very lucky to have him. It's a Bret problem, not a Rhodes problem. Doesn't help that the offense goes 3 and out every possession and that we decided halfway through the year last year to stop running the ball.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

kodiakisland

Rhoads and Enos both failed and were hired because they were unemployed and needing jobs. BB surround himself with questionable people at times. It shows.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PorkRinds

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on October 28, 2017, 10:43:33 am
The issue was Bret making the change to the 3-4 with a defensive coordinator who has no history of running the 3-4. Rhodes is a very good defensive coach and Arkansas is very lucky to have him. It's a Bret problem, not a Rhodes problem. Doesn't help that the offense goes 3 and out every possession and that we decided halfway through the year last year to stop running the ball.

You may want to check the facts before you run with this argument. He has limited experience but he switched his defense to 3-4 at Iowa State.

kodiakisland

Yep. Rhoads has done wonders for this defense.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 28, 2017, 10:52:49 am
You may want to check the facts before you run with this argument. He has limited experience but he switched his defense to 3-4 at Iowa State.

I'm curious to when he changed it at Iowa State?  He started out there with 4 seasons of

7-6 in 2009
5-7 in 2010
6-7 in both 2011 and 2012.

Then he dropped off bigtime compared to his first 4 years there.

3-9 in 2013
2-10 in 2014
3-9 in 2015

Then fired.

So what happen?

PorkRinds

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 11:25:56 am
I'm curious to when he changed it at Iowa State?  He started out there with 4 seasons of

7-6 in 2009
5-7 in 2010

3-9 in 2013
2-10 in 2014
3-9 in 2015

Then fired.

So what happen?

Look it up. He switched his defense to the 3-4 there.

hog.goblin

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 28, 2017, 11:28:52 am
Look it up. He switched his defense to the 3-4 there.

I'm not saying he didn't. I was just wondering if it was during the time that his teams really went into the dump. 

Hogwild

kodiakisland

7-6 in 2009
5-7 in 2010

3-9 in 2013
2-10 in 2014
3-9 in 2015

Then fired.

So what happen?

Does it matter what happened? He sucked in his best four years. Who cares why he sucked more later.

Athog

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 28, 2017, 10:50:49 am
Rhoads and Enos both failed and were hired because they were unemployed and needing jobs. BB surround himself with questionable people at times. It shows.

I thought Enos was "Hired Away" from Central Meeeshigan..!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

kodiakisland

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 28, 2017, 11:47:40 am
I thought Enos was "Hired Away" from Central Meeeshigan..!?

Yeah. Thats how they sold that hire. 26-36 record I'm not so sure that was the case.

BrianG

Hogwild

7-6 in 2009
5-7 in 2010

3-9 in 2013
2-10 in 2014
3-9 in 2015

Then fired.

So what happen?

thinking the talent that he inherited was better than the talent he brought in.

7 seasons as a HC he had one winning season, his first.
2009- wins over ND State, Kent St, Army, Baylor, Nebraska Colorado. Losses to Iowa, Kansas, Kansas St, A&M, OK St, Mizzou.   (6-6) defeated Minnesota in a bowl

He then  lost 2/3s of his games (25-49)

Hogwild

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 28, 2017, 11:51:47 am
Yeah. Thats how they sold that hire. 26-36 record I'm not so sure that was the case.

No matter how Enos left CMU, he went out with a bang.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Anybody want to tell me how good of a job he's doing today?
Hogville's resident uniform designer.