Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Travelers.....

Started by GolfNut57, April 04, 2017, 09:41:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

According to an article in todays Democrap the Arkansas Travelers are the AA farm club of the Seattle Mariners. When did that happen? I remember when they used to be the Cards farm club and then were sold to the Angels. Never heard about the Mariners getting them though.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 04, 2017, 09:41:56 am
According to an article in todays Democrap the Arkansas Travelers are the AA farm club of the Seattle Mariners. When did that happen? I remember when they used to be the Cards farm club and then were sold to the Angels. Never heard about the Mariners getting them though.

First season as Mariners affiliate. Their contract with the Angels ran out last season.

pigture perfect

I'm going opening night. I'm a little excited about them being with the M's. Seattle usually drafts well and gets their players up quick, then trades them.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

Quote from: clutch on April 04, 2017, 12:23:38 pm
First season as Mariners affiliate. Their contract with the Angels ran out last season.

Contract? I thought the parent clubs owned their farm teams. But either way, thanks for the answer.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

McKdaddy

I live in Tulsa and our team, the Drillers, is beginning its 3rd year as a Dodgers affiliate.  Prior to that it had a 12-year run as a Rockies affiliate.  I'm not sure of the how/why a minor league team becomes affiliated w/ one of the MLB teams, and I'm interested in knowing more.

I was spoiled growing up in Arkansas w/ the Travelers being affiliated w/ the Cards.  It was great to see and keep up w/ the AA players since I was/am a die-hard Cards fan.  We moved to Tulsa around the time the Travs became an Angels affiliate so I really wasn't affected by the change in MLB affiliation by the Travs.  For our first 2 years in Tulsa, the Drillers were a Rangers affiliate.  Since the wife is a lifelong Rangers fan, keeping up w/ the Drillers players was a natural thing to do.  However, I didn't have any interest in the Rockies or now the Dodgers, so I find myself w/ a distant relationship w/ the Drillers players in terms of their development and progress in their MLB organization.  I cheer for the team and we attend a handful of games per year.  I want the team to do well, but simply don't keep up w/ the Drillers players like I did when the Rangers were affiliated w/ the Drillers and when the Travs were w/ the Cards.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 05, 2017, 09:59:38 am
I live in Tulsa and our team, the Drillers, is beginning its 3rd year as a Dodgers affiliate.  Prior to that it had a 12-year run as a Rockies affiliate.  I'm not sure of the how/why a minor league team becomes affiliated w/ one of the MLB teams, and I'm interested in knowing more.

I was spoiled growing up in Arkansas w/ the Travelers being affiliated w/ the Cards.  It was great to see and keep up w/ the AA players since I was/am a die-hard Cards fan.  We moved to Tulsa around the time the Travs became an Angels affiliate so I really wasn't affected by the change in MLB affiliation by the Travs.  For our first 2 years in Tulsa, the Drillers were a Rangers affiliate.  Since the wife is a lifelong Rangers fan, keeping up w/ the Drillers players was a natural thing to do.  However, I didn't have any interest in the Rockies or now the Dodgers, so I find myself w/ a distant relationship w/ the Drillers players in terms of their development and progress in their MLB organization.  I cheer for the team and we attend a handful of games per year.  I want the team to do well, but simply don't keep up w/ the Drillers players like I did when the Rangers were affiliated w/ the Drillers and when the Travs were w/ the Cards.

Some of us old dogs remember when the Travelers were a Phillies affiliate.  Guys like Richie Allen and Ferguson Jenkins came through Little Rock.  This was early and mid '60s.  I really started going to games shortly after they became a Cardinals farm club.  My all-time favorite Traveler was Big John Young.  Anybody else remember him?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 04:02:22 pm
Some of us old dogs remember when the Travelers were a Phillies affiliate.  Guys like Richie Allen and Ferguson Jenkins came through Little Rock.  This was early and mid '60s. 

Thanks for the info.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pigture perfect

Tonight is magnetic schedule night. Woohoo!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

Thought about going to the opener tonight but I figured it would be a huge nightmare with parking and getting in seeing as it is the first game.

pigture perfect

Small crowd tonight. We parked right across the street.

GolfNut57

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 06, 2017, 11:36:00 pm
Small crowd tonight. We parked right across the street.

wow......thought opening night with pleasant weather would have given them a full house.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 04, 2017, 05:55:30 pm
Contract? I thought the parent clubs owned their farm teams. But either way, thanks for the answer.

Nope. Most all of them are independently owned. They sign player development contracts with the major league clubs. The contracts usually only last for a couple of years and then they either renew their affiliation or sign with another franchise.