Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley's Helmet

Started by Malvin, November 06, 2017, 12:05:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Malvin

Kind of a minor thing, but we got a good laugh out of it on Saturday.  While getting pounded by the mighty Coastal Carolina Chanticleers we couldn't help but notice the number of pride stickers (awards) on the back of Cole Kelly's helmet.  This is a red shirt freshman who is starting his 4th game.. up until Saturday he had only won 1 game thanks to Ole Miss being Ole Miss while getting ripped by Alabama & Auburn.

So where are all the awards coming from?  I can see maybe a couple.. 1 for going to class, 1 for getting good grades, 1 for surviving an entire game with our offensive line, but what in the heck are all the others?

To me this is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the Hogs right now, we are giving out awards to these kids that have little to know value.  I guess it makes the millennial players feel better but in my generation I would be embarrassed to accept them.  We are rewarding mediocrity, it has to stop. 

Edit: To be clear I'm not calling Cole out, he is doing the best he can, I'm calling out the system and the coach here.

ShadowHawg

I noticed Austin Allen had nearly a dozen for the first game.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Malvin on November 06, 2017, 12:05:13 am
Kind of a minor thing, but we got a good laugh out of it on Saturday.  While getting pounded by the mighty Coastal Carolina Chanticleers we couldn't help but notice the number of pride stickers (awards) on the back of Cole Kelly's helmet.  This is a red shirt freshman who is starting his 4th game.. up until Saturday he had only won 1 game thanks to Ole Miss being Ole Miss while getting ripped by Alabama & Auburn.

So where are all the awards coming from?  I can see maybe a couple.. 1 for going to class, 1 for getting good grades, 1 for surviving an entire game with our offensive line, but what in the heck are all the others?

To me this is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the Hogs right now, we are giving out awards to these kids that have little to know value.  I guess it makes the millennial players feel better but in my generation I would be embarrassed to accept them.  We are rewarding mediocrity, it has to stop. 

Edit: To be clear I'm not calling Cole out, he is doing the best he can, I'm calling out the system and the coach here.
Why don't you ask CK about it? Also, when you do tell him he doesn't deserve them.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Malvin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 06, 2017, 12:07:48 am

He's a senior, I get that.

Malvin

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 06, 2017, 12:08:37 am
Why don't you ask CK about it? Also, when you do tell him he doesn't deserve them.

If I was a reporter and had the audience I would.  And I'm not saying he doesn't deserve them, if the system is designed to get an award every time you make a completion then he has earned every one of them.  My point here is that this is the problem with our program, we are giving awards and congratulating them for meaningless accomplishments.  You see it everywhere in our program from on the field to performance to the offseason and lack of strength conditioning.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Malvin on November 06, 2017, 12:09:39 am
He's a senior, I get that.

He had a full helmet by the end of last season though. They weren't carried over.

I have never heard of giving them out for practice.

UA1985

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 06, 2017, 12:08:37 am
Lighten up! He is crticizing the coaches who award the damn stickers, not CK. And there is no way CK's play this year warrants that many stickers. It does look ridiculous. He is doing well for a redshirt freshman in his first few games. I love his spirit and fearlessness. I just wish he'd work on his accuracy.

MissippHog

You ever see Ohio State's helmets?  They are full of stickers. Truth is, you don't know why they get stickers.  Could be for game performance.  Could be classroom performance.  Could be for practicing hard.  Who knows, maybe he made a happy plate at dinner one night last week.  And really, who gives a rip how many stickers they have?  Just seems like you're nitpicking IMO.

snoot hoggy hog

He wants somebody to give him a helmet full of stickers for this post. Can somebody get this man some stickers?

kodiakisland

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 06, 2017, 12:07:48 am

Yeah. I saw lots of stickers during that first game.  Figured it must have been all the winning in practice that week.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hog1984

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Nosboar Accubond

Not sure, but could be he gets 4 for every A he makes in class?

Al Boarland

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 06, 2017, 01:42:06 am
Yeah. I saw lots of stickers during that first game.  Figured it must have been all the winning in practice that week.

They give out stickers for whooping up on our D?

Rayzback

November 06, 2017, 06:16:33 am #14 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:31:00 am by Rayzback
During his press conferences, Coach B appears to have a zero tolerance approach to negativity.  Conversely, we see Coach Saban discussing how too much positivity can poison a team's character. 
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

RazorPiggie

hawgon

D.J. Williams said yesterday that the players are soft because the practices are too rah rah and they don't work hard enough at them.  He said that under Petrino that they looked forward to the games to get a break from practice.

(notOM)Rebel123

They get stickers for being close.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hawgon

You don't give rewards and awards to people for doing what they should do. 

farmhawg

The entire thing seems childish and should have been left behind as the moved to college. Guess that is what dumpling uses for motivation.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jgphillips3

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 06:24:41 am
D.J. Williams said yesterday that the players are soft because the practices are too rah rah and they don't work hard enough at them.  He said that under Petrino that they looked forward to the games to get a break from practice.

Just like under Nolan...I see a pattern...

greenEGnHAWGS

Now we're complaining about the stickers...? Wow.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

iamdent

We give a coach $4mil plus a huge buyout...what's a sticker or two.

010HogFan

Always gotta be that one person that blames everything on "the millennials"

go hogues

Sticker ratio explained:

1:1 Sticker to Jelly sandwich consumed at half
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RME

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 06, 2017, 08:27:03 am
Always gotta be that one person that blames everything on "the millennials"

Funny when it's the older generation that "enables millennials" and "caves" to these "damn millennials," too.

PonderinHog

If it's anything like my car, it's the only thing holding his helmet together.   :-[

BallHog1

Quote from: UA1985 on November 06, 2017, 12:20:32 am
And there is no way CK's play this year warrants that many stickers. 

Well you would know since you have a lot more contact with the players than any of those coaches that give the stickers....

Cotton

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 06:24:41 am
Agree 100%
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawgon

Somebody has to be jackass enough to tell these kids that not everybody gets a trophy in real life.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Any man brave enough to stand behind our OL against the Auburn and Bama defense deserves a helmet full of stickers.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Malvin on November 06, 2017, 12:12:06 am
If I was a reporter and had the audience I would.  And I'm not saying he doesn't deserve them, if the system is designed to get an award every time you make a completion then he has earned every one of them.  My point here is that this is the problem with our program, we are giving awards and congratulating them for meaningless accomplishments.  You see it everywhere in our program from on the field to performance to the offseason and lack of strength conditioning.

You do not have a clue what they do inside their program. So stop trying to discuss something you know nothing about.

Hayduke

I heard they get helmet stickers for leadership reps.

cal34

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 06:56:47 am
You don't give rewards and awards to people for doing what they should do.

Can't believe they are giving out awards to anyone after the way this season has gone. 

Malvin

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I went back and looked at the start of the game which had a good picture of the back of Cole's helmet.  It looks like there are about 56 awards on his helmet which just about covers up the entire back side of it.  If you put that helmet in front of me not knowing anything about the team or player I would have thought that this was a SEC champion, a Bowl game winner getting ready to play in the NFL next year.. but in our context you get this by winning 1 game as a redshirt freshman.  #Uncommon

Snouty

I don't care for stickers.  Many high quality teams don't use stickers, including Alabama, LSU, Texas, USC, or Notre Dame.

Vantage 8 dude

I don't really care one way or another whether we wear any or not. Obviously some programs do, some don't. Personal decision by the staff. Whatever the criteria for awarding them though I just hope it's for something more than just participating. Then again, for our QBs perhaps they actually represent "Purple Hearts" for the hits they take.

Hoggish1

November 06, 2017, 04:15:58 pm #38 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:07:39 pm by Hoggish1

You should go away and take your post with you—no what I mean...?

Malvin

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 06, 2017, 04:15:58 pm
You should go away and take your post with you—know what I mean...?

I really don't, please enlighten me.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Snouty on November 06, 2017, 02:40:55 pm
I don't care for stickers.  Many high quality teams don't use stickers, including Alabama, LSU, Texas, USC, or Notre Dame.

I don't like the stickers anymore than I do the big "look at me dance and celebration" just because I did my job and made the tackle, or I was running right behind the receiver when he dropped that pass, so now I gotta strut, and point, and pose, but we do a lot of that garbage too.
Kids these days are different, a lot different.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 06, 2017, 05:19:12 pm
I don't like the stickers anymore than I do the big "look at me dance and celebration" just because I did my job and made the tackle, or I was running right behind the receiver when he dropped that pass, so now I gotta strut, and point, and pose, but we do a lot of that garbage too.
Kids these days are different, a lot different.

This post is perfect.  When a WR drops a well thrown ball, and the defender who is behind him, out of position, acts like he just saved the game winning score...is hilarious to me. 

I'm in the get off my lawn generation, and I have news for the people who like to run down Millennials...they got that way from their parenting.  Learned behavior.  I'm guilty of it as well. 

We allowed it to happen.  Someone mentioned a microcosm earlier.  From the very first time I saw referees being jawed back at, players celebrating things that are just your responsibility, and it wasn't stopped...I knew it was coming.  The lack of respect for authority is rampant now, and the generations before them allowed that to happen. 

When I was a kid, if you had something to say to a ref...expect a flag in football with 15 yards go to with it, or a technical foul in basketball.  NO QUESTIONS asked.  First offense...PERIOD.  Where did that go?  Why did someone decide it was OK not to just play the game, keep your mouth shut, and do your best?  We're all a bunch of softies now... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

sigpooie

Jeff longs cousin sells stickers for a living. Sounds more like his kind of idea anyway. Will we soon see a sticker selling skyboxes?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

farmhawg

Quote from: Malvin on November 06, 2017, 04:33:26 pm
I really don't, please enlighten me.
He loves dumpling so he gets a little touchy....
From theflyinghog

Ex-Trumpet

QB's get stickers every time they get knocked on their arse and get back up to play the next down.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Bielema gives stickers for not missing class, being on time, getting GPA benchmarks. I'm not joking. Players had these in the first game before a single snap.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 06, 2017, 06:30:22 pm
QB's get stickers every time they get knocked on their arse and get back up to play the next down.
Then he's gonna need a bigger helmet.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 06, 2017, 06:20:38 am
Ask FOTH

I don't know all details.  I do know they get one for a team win in a game they played in.  I think offensive and defensive players get one for certain statistical goals (yards, pts, etc).  Individual for tds and pics, maybe a certain number of tackles. They do get a sticker if they have graduated and for being on the SEC Academic Honor Roll.  I've never really asked because I hate them.  Hated it when Petrino started giving them out and still do. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Paul

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 06, 2017, 09:07:23 am
Any man brave enough to stand behind our OL against the Auburn and Bama defense deserves a helmet full of stickers.
no Shiite!  The kid has been playing his heart out for his team

longpig

A lot of them must feel stupid getting beat up by midgets all stickered up like they're Mean Joe Green. 
Don't be scared, be smart.