Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on going with someone younger? (Think Rams, 49ers and Oklahoma.)

Started by mj4president, October 23, 2017, 01:51:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

Who are those up and comers out there? I think a young, 30-40 year old coach could help up in recruiting.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

hogsanity

Quote from: mj4president on October 23, 2017, 01:51:48 pm
Who are those up and comers out there? I think a young, 30-40 year old coach could help up in recruiting.

always hard to make a college/nfl comparison since nfl teams get to draft and sign free agents. Oklahoma, time will tell the tale on that one.

A young coach might help in recruiting, but then again savvy recruiters would use that against the Hogs too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Michael D Huff AIA

However old the new coach is, he needs to be a guy that moves the needle when the announcement is made on the ESPN crawler.  It needs to make fans - and recruits - excited about the new hire.  I didn't get that when CBB was announced.  There's a fundamental difference between:

'Wow. We hired Bret Bielema.  Great.' and
'Wow! We hired Bret Bielema!  Great!'

My criteria starts with "has he head coached a P5 team and had success before?"  Period.  This narrows the field greatly.  There are enough established coaches that don't make $3.5 million a year that would move to do so. 

My guy coaches at Washington State right now (for an athletic department that is losing money) and makes $2.75 million a year.  Mike Leach could move the needle and disrupt the SEC West as soon as the last week of November.

You just started a thread advocating Lovie Smith. What exactly are you trying to do?

ipigsooie

Former hog coach Danny Ford won a nc at 33. I believe he is still the youngest to win one.  But i do agree with the post. I want a young guy with energy that can relate to the student athletes. Im still on record as wanting Norvell.

mj4president

Sometimes pulling someone the fans don't know/follow well is the best hire.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

hogsanity

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 23, 2017, 02:09:41 pm
However old the new coach is, he needs to be a guy that moves the needle when the announcement is made on the ESPN crawler.  It needs to make fans - and recruits - excited about the new hire.  I didn't get that when CBB was announced.  There's a fundamental difference between:

'Wow. We hired Bret Bielema.  Great.' and
'Wow! We hired Bret Bielema!  Great!'

My criteria starts with "has he head coached a P5 team and had success before?"  Period.  This narrows the field greatly.  There are enough established coaches that don't make $3.5 million a year that would move to do so. 

My guy coaches at Washington State right now (for an athletic department that is losing money) and makes $2.75 million a year.  Mike Leach could move the needle and disrupt the SEC West as soon as the last week of November.

You may not have gotten that but it definitely moved the needle on a national level. BB was only a few days removed from winning the BIGCG and having put 70 on Nebraska.

BB also would have met your criteria of having coached a p5 team and had success.

What success has Leach had? Has he ever won a conf title? HE has only had 1 10+ win season and is only 1 game above .500 at WSU and that includes being 7-1 this season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mj4president

Quote from: Karma on October 23, 2017, 02:13:49 pm
You just started a thread advocating Lovie Smith. What exactly are you trying to do?

Just thinking of options.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 23, 2017, 02:14:07 pm
Former hog coach Danny Ford won a nc at 33. I believe he is still the youngest to win one.  But i do agree with the post. I want a young guy with energy that can relate to the student athletes. Im still on record as wanting Norvell.

Norvell is 36 you know. He's our man.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 23, 2017, 02:09:41 pm

You do realize the odds of landing a sitting P5 coach are slim to none right?  You also realize it is far from a guarantee of success.  In fact the coach we have now would fit that criteria.

I have posted it before but here it is again.  Here are the only P5 to P5 I can think of in the last 5 years.

Bielema to Arkansas (about to get fired)
Mike Riley from OSU to Nebraska (about to get fired)
Gary Anderson from Wisconsin to OSU (just quit)
Paul Cryst from Pitt to Wisconsin (doing well)
James Franklin Vandy to Penn State (doing well).  Vandy is basically a G5 level program in terms of ceiling.

Now here are some of the non P5 hires from the past few years.

Texas: Tom Hermann, G5 HC
USCw: Clay Helton, Coordinator
Georgia:  Kirby Smart, Coordinator
Florida: Jim McElwain, G5 HC
Virginia Tech:  Fuente, G5 HC
Purdue:  Jeff Brohm G5 HC
Miami:  Mark Richt, fired P5 HC.
USCe:  Will Muschamp Coordinator
Washington: Chris Petersen G5 HC
NC State:  Dave Doeren G5 HC
Michigan:  Harbaugh NFL HC
Tennessee:  Butch Jones, G5 HC
ND:  Brian Kelly, G5 HC
Kentucky:  Mark Stoops Coordinator
Auburn:  Gus Malzahn, G5 HC
Vandy:  Derek Mason Coordinator
Cal:  Justin Wilcox Coordinator
Maryland:  DJ Durkin Coordinator
Virginia: Bronco Mendenhall G5 HC
Pitt:  Pat Narduzzi Coordinator
WSU: Mike Leach out of coaching for 2 years.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.