Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jake Coker: 'I'm just going to move on' from football'

Started by jbcarol, April 21, 2017, 10:59:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

...Jake Coker

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/855392133687201792

QuoteA little more than a year removed from quarterbacking Alabama to college football's national championship, Jake Coker has decided to put the sport behind him.

The 24-year-old Coker saw his chances of making the team with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals fizzle last summer due to a knee injury that required surgery. The Mobile native said in a radio interview Thursday that he's taken a job with Cooper Marine and Timberlands in Creola, and has no plans to attempt a comeback in professional football.

"I'm just going to move on," Coker said on The Tide & Tiger Report on WNSP-FM 105.5 in Mobile. "I had another surgery when I was with the Cardinals, and that was kind of the last thing. I didn't want another surgery. I'm just kind of ready to move on. I'm excited about what's ahead."

Coker starred at St. Paul's Episcopal School in Mobile, the same high school that produced fellow Alabama national championship quarterback AJ McCarron. He initially signed with Florida State, spending three years with the Seminoles before departing for Alabama as a graduate transfer in 2014.

Coker won a BCS national title as the back-up to Florida State Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston in 2013, and was also the No. 2 quarterback on Alabama's 2014 SEC championship team. He took over as the starter as a fifth-year senior in 2015, leading the Crimson Tide to a 14-1 record and a national championship.

Coker started the 2016 Senior Bowl in his hometown of Mobile following his career at Alabama, but went undrafted before signing as a rookie free agent with the Cardinals.

"To be honest with you, my main goal in football was to win a national championship at Alabama," Coker said. 'That was my dream growing up and I got to fulfill that. I have no regrets with what I've done or what I'm doing now. I had a blast doing it and I couldn't be more happy with the outcome."

Coker said will make an appearance at Alabama's A-Day spring game on Saturday, participating in the celebrity dodgeball game...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

bkjbearcat

It stinks that guys who were big names in college refuse to try the CFL or Arena League route when it looks like the NFL door is shut on them. Those league's need names. And guys like Coker and Tebow choose other things.

Kind of makes you wonder if guys like Flutie, Moon or Kurt Warner were out of school today would they go the CFL/AFL route?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

snoot hoggy hog

Alabama...where 5 star QB's NFL aspirations go to die.

Inhogswetrust

April 22, 2017, 09:54:44 am #3 Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:07:59 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bkjbearcat on April 21, 2017, 01:24:00 pm
It stinks that guys who were big names in college refuse to try the CFL or Arena League route when it looks like the NFL door is shut on them. Those league's need names. And guys like Coker and Tebow choose other things.

Kind of makes you wonder if guys like Flutie, Moon or Kurt Warner were out of school today would they go the CFL/AFL route?

What really stinks is people thinking they know what is best for others to do with their career and life..................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi