Previous topic - Next topic

To build a World Series team would you rather start with:

Great pitching with fair to poor hitting
9 (100%)
Great hitting with fair to poor pitching
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

jrulz83

Just curious what everybody in the MLB forum thinks.

I believe that great pitching is way more important come playoff time, but because this is a scientific poll (lol) I'm not going to vote and skew the results of my own poll question.

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

popcornhog

Pitching over hitting.

But I'd rather have both.

As I was just saying in the other thread -- this team has bats, the issue has been a lack of consistency.

He'll the team's been winning with the bats lately.

WPS

clutch

Give me pitching any day of the week.

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on September 02, 2014, 05:41:45 pm
Pitching over hitting.

But I'd rather have both.

As I was just saying in the other thread -- this team has bats, the issue has been a lack of consistency.

He'll the team's been winning with the bats lately.

The ups and downs of the Cardinals offense have been difficult to watch.

Lol, who doesn't want both?
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Baseball Hog

Good to see no one has answered incorrectly yet.

hawkhawg

gutshot

I voted pitching, but after watching the Braves for another full season, I'm almost convinced that you need the hitting more just to get there. They are a difficult team to like these days.   

ucahogfan

It boils down to this, what would you rather have in the postseason?

A rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Zack Grienke, and Ryu or a 3-4-5 of Miggy, V-Mart, and the other guy or a 3-4-5 of Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton.  I would take the pitching every time because a great pitcher can shut the best offense down.  See Clayton Kershaw.

mhuff

If I had to choose between the two, I would take pitching. Still , if you don't hit, you don't win.

ChicoHog

Pitching is dominating baseball now.  there was a good article in SI earlier this year about how every yea over the last few there are fewer and fewer balls actually put into play.  More and more strikeouts.  Every team has many guys who throw over 90 and some who throw over 95,  Used be there was a couple guys on each team.  Used to be latin players were mostly middle infielders.  Now they are also flamethrowers.  Used to be big guys were first baseman and outfielders.  Now they make pitchers out of them at a young age because they can throw hard.  That's also where a lot of the power has disappeared (along with steroids).  Baseball is a much less interesting game when its dominated by strikeouts.   I think the only way to change it is to stop calling the borderline outside pitch a strike and the one below the knees a strike.  Not sure what else we can do.  Maybe put some contract clauses where a player(hitter) is rewarded for fewer strikeouts?