Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Signing day question

Started by PaintballHog, January 26, 2015, 11:43:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PaintballHog

First year to really follow recruiting so forgive me,

On signing day, lets say one of the top schools has 3 spots left, but 6 players considering them. If those 3 spots fill, do those other 3 recruits get in touch with other schools quickly to get signed?

I guess what I'm asking is there a chance we get an out of nowhere recruit that a bama/usc/tenn was leading on?

Thanks for any help.

CallThoseHawgs

This is how we got Philon. I doubt it happens this year, but you never know when it comes to recruiting

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 11:43:05 am
First year to really follow recruiting so forgive me,

On signing day, lets say one of the top schools has 3 spots left, but 6 players considering them. If those 3 spots fill, do those other 3 recruits get in touch with other schools quickly to get signed?

I guess what I'm asking is there a chance we get an out of nowhere recruit that a bama/usc/tenn was leading on?

Thanks for any help.

Most of the time, the schools know where each kid is going to go before he actually announces.

Tim Harris

It happens occasionally but not often.  The coaches will most likely know all 25 of our signees before NSD.

PaintballHog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 26, 2015, 11:46:19 am
Most of the time, the schools know where each kid is going to go before he actually announces.

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 26, 2015, 11:50:52 am
It happens occasionally but not often.  The coaches will most likely know all 25 of our signees before NSD.

So in my scenario, the school would know who they will fill with the last 3 spots, and tell the other 3 kids that they won't have room and explore other options before NSD?

That makes sense.

For some reason I envisioned it kinda like the NFL draft where recruits and coaches are calling eachother the morning of to see who will choose who. I guess the whole picking the hat thing is just a show for the fans then.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 11:55:22 am
So in my scenario, the school would know who they will fill with the last 3 spots, and tell the other 3 kids that they won't have room and explore other options before NSD?

That makes sense.

For some reason I envisioned it kinda like the NFL draft where recruits and coaches are calling eachother the morning of to see who will choose who. I guess the whole picking the hat thing is just a show for the fans then.

Exactly. The kids get their moment in the spotlight, but behind the scenes people usually know. There will be a surprise every now and then. I think DGB surprised our staff when he picked mizzou. And last year, there was a d lineman from miami area and he didn't know if he was gonna sign with miami or us until the last second. He actually had 2 folders, one for miami and one for arkansas with him at his schools signing day ceremony. He ended up signing with miami, but obviously the staff felt good about him or they wouldn't have sent him the paperwork.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 26, 2015, 11:50:52 am
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 26, 2015, 11:59:18 am
Exactly. The kids get their moment in the spotlight, but behind the scenes people usually know. There will be a surprise every now and then. I think DGB surprised our staff when he picked mizzou. And last year, there was a d lineman from miami area and he didn't know if he was gonna sign with miami or us until the last second. He actually had 2 folders, one for miami and one for arkansas with him at his schools signing day ceremony. He ended up signing with miami, but obviously the staff felt good about him or they wouldn't have sent him the paperwork.

Very interesting.

I guess if we had 5-6 spots open it could be a possibility, but since we have 4 (or less) the coaches know who they want and who they'll get.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 12:02:44 pm
Very interesting.

I guess if we had 5-6 spots open it could be a possibility, but since we have 4 (or less) the coaches know who they want and who they'll get.

Too add to what your saying here.  I believe we will have at max 2 possible signing day decisions.  So if we lock up 23 commits before then, those two (Weathersby and Hill) may not really let anyone know before but most likely a school will know, but you can put together whats going on to see.  if we hit 24 commits and still have weathersby and Hill open, then the staff knows for sure one of them is NOT coming. 

PaintballHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2015, 12:08:50 pm
Too add to what your saying here.  I believe we will have at max 2 possible signing day decisions.  So if we lock up 23 commits before then, those two (Weathersby and Hill) may not really let anyone know before but most likely a school will know, but you can put together whats going on to see. if we hit 24 commits and still have weathersby and Hill open, then the staff knows for sure one of them is NOT coming.

I get what you're saying. Is it usually higher ranked recruits that wait til signing day to announce?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 12:13:28 pm
I get what you're saying. Is it usually higher ranked recruits that wait til signing day to announce?

Yes. Because they have a better chance of a school holding a spot for them.

PaintballHog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 26, 2015, 12:19:05 pm
Yes. Because they have a better chance of a school holding a spot for them.

Good point, very true.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 12:13:28 pm

Yes OR kids that bloom late.  Similar to this Scott kid we are on now.  They maybe waiting late trying out for a div 1 offer over smaller div, or a bigger school than a smaller school. 

redeye

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 26, 2015, 11:43:05 am

I actually think it happens more them most here think, but agree with everything else.  Another example is Solomon Thomas and then Toby Weathersby is supposed to commit on NSD this year.  He'll likely let the coaches know before then, but you never feel good about a player who waits that long to commit, imo.

Also, this year may be a little different, because so many schools have accepted more players then they can afford to sign and I suspect some will find themselves having to do something drastic on signing day.  That's how we got Philon and several teams seem positioned for it to happen again.