Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running Backs

Started by dishhog40, January 23, 2015, 11:56:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dishhog40

Any plans to add another RB this class?   R Williams is going to be a great addition, any speed burner considering Arkansas?

redswarmrising

other than Weathersby and 1 more WR,i think the coaches focus on Defense to finish this class

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redswarmrising on January 23, 2015, 12:04:00 pm
other than Weathersby and 1 more WR,i think the coaches focus on Defense to finish this class

Sure seems that way.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PaintballHog

Nope. I think next year we'll swing for the fences for a top rb tho.

secneahog

I think we're set at rb for this class since J will stayed.

Jwill.
AC
Kody Walker.
D. Evans.
Juan day
Rw3.

Nice list.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

WooPig90

Quote from: secneahog on January 23, 2015, 12:11:31 pm
I think we're set at rb for this class since J will stayed.

Jwill.
AC
Kody Walker.
D. Evans.
Juan day
Rw3.

Nice list.

Well next year we will lose JW, Walker, and possibly AC. So it wouldnt hurt to get 1 more especially if he is a speedster or a cant miss prospect

hawginbigd1

Quote from: dishhog40 on January 23, 2015, 11:56:38 am
Any plans to add another RB this class?   R Williams is going to be a great addition, any speed burner considering Arkansas?

Only if the numbers were to get somebody like a Carr or a back of that caliber and our targets don't work out IMO.

I just wonder if there is another Liddell or Marshall waiting out there in the Delta or hill country of the natural state!!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 23, 2015, 12:14:55 pm
Only if the numbers were to get somebody like a Carr or a back of that caliber and our targets don't work out IMO.

I just wonder if there is another Liddell or Marshall waiting out there in the Delta or hill country of the natural state!!!!

Prolly so...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgwash

I think a last minute offer to an instate kid is unlikely this year.  It seems like there are already more kids than we can take who are good enough you wouldn't want to turn them down if there's any way to swing it.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hawgwash on January 23, 2015, 12:26:44 pm
I think a last minute offer to an instate kid is unlikely this year.  It seems like there are already more kids than we can take who are good enough you wouldn't want to turn them down if there's any way to swing it.
Good problem to have.  It's been a while!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

tophawg19

i think the new O/C  will get a say in that
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 23, 2015, 12:10:39 pm
Nope. I think next year we'll swing for the fences for a top rb tho.

Joel Thomas was swinging for the fences in this class....his recruiting leaves something to be desired.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 23, 2015, 12:39:30 pm
Joel Thomas was swinging for the fences in this class....his recruiting leaves something to be desired.

So, you think it was based on him, or having two RB's coming back? I'm not privy to the reasons why XYZ didn't come here as a RB, could be they didn't like him. Anyway, the clock will soon start ticking on 2016 RB recruiting, not that it already hasn't.

lefty08

Running back is one of the easiest positions to get a contributor as a freshman also. They don't seem to need as much developing
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

WBC Hog

Anybody that thinks we swung and missed at RB this year is crazy. Yeah we threw out some offers to guys like Chris's Warren, Ronald Williams III, Soso Jamabo, etc but who didn't? We have a great RB in RW3 and he will be a good one for us. Many on here think he is vastly underrated at just a 3* while playing in Texas.

Next year I think we take 2 elite RB's.

My way too early prediction at this point is Devwah Whaley and Jared Cornelius' cousin Devin Smith.

rabidhog

Quote from: WBC Hog on January 23, 2015, 12:49:16 pm
Anybody that thinks we swung and missed at RB this year is crazy. Yeah we threw out some offers to guys like Chris's Warren, Ronald Williams III, Soso Jamabo, etc but who didn't? We have a great RB in RW3 and he will be a good one for us. Many on here think he is vastly underrated at just a 3* while playing in Texas.

Ronald Jones II? he went to USC, would of been a nice get though. RW3 is a beast. Great balance, vision, pad level, really drives with his legs. great back

My way too early prediction at this point is Devwah Whaley and Jared Cornelius' cousin Devin Smith.

jackflash

Hard to get a RB to consider Arkansas with Collins and Williams in front of you. Give Day and Williams credit for coming. Not like he didn't try to get one. From what I read next year may be a great year in Texas for us.  I think Thomas will have something to do with that

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: WBC Hog on January 23, 2015, 12:49:16 pm

I agree RW3 is very underrated but this will be year 3 and he's gotten (1) RB which leads me to believe he would fair much better (recruiting wise) in his native West Coast than in Texas.

Giving him credit for Juan Day (Mother is my classmate) is the equivalent to giving Danny Nutt credit for Darren McFadden both were Fayetteville bound anyway.

The talent may be in Texas but his H.S. connections are overwhelmingly PAC10 embedded. 

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 23, 2015, 02:01:14 pm
I agree RW3 is very underrated but this will be year 3 and he's gotten (1) RB which leads me to believe he would fair much better (recruiting wise) in his native West Coast than in Texas.

Giving him credit for Juan Day (Mother is my classmate) is the equivalent to giving Danny Nutt credit for Darren McFadden both were Fayetteville bound anyway.

The talent may be in Texas but his H.S. connections are overwhelmingly PAC10 embedded. 

We are going to need to land a big time 4 or 5 star RB in the 2016 class. Can Joel Thomas do that? Or will Bielema have to go out and get that guy himself.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jackflash on January 23, 2015, 01:01:48 pm
Hard to get a RB to consider Arkansas with Collins and Williams in front of you. Give Day and Williams credit for coming. Not like he didn't try to get one. From what I read next year may be a great year in Texas for us.  I think Thomas will have something to do with that

This thinking is a COP OUT.  These kids are cream of the crop players and are competitors.  They do not believe or think in ways like this.  They believe they can come and compete immediately. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 23, 2015, 02:21:49 pm
We are going to need to land a big time 4 or 5 star RB in the 2016 class. Can Joel Thomas do that? Or will Bielema have to go out and get that guy himself.

I think you are on to something here, but for Hogville sake and watching Wildhog panic, I'm going to push for the Thomas can't do it part, simply to bug Wildhog's view of Thomas.  haha

WBC Hog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 23, 2015, 02:01:14 pm

By no means am I defending Joel Thomas. I'm not impressed with his recruiting so far. But, next year will be a good measure of thumb since it will be our first year of real need at RB since he has been here.

aloha_kid

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 02:38:50 pm
This thinking is a COP OUT.  These kids are cream of the crop players and are competitors.  They do not believe or think in ways like this.  They believe they can come and compete immediately. 

Agreed.  CBB is known from platooning RB onto the field.  Look at Wisconsin when he was there.  Monte Ball, James White and Melvin Gordon 2011- 2012.  2010 John Clay, Monte Ball and James White. 

If you can run the ball CBB is gonna make sure you get the carries.

lefty08

Does the RB coach recruit running backs only?
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

secneahog

No. 

Who said we missed on alot of rbs this year?..

That's one position we can be picky at.

Denzell Evans shouldn't be over looked.

2016 we can get a couple elite guys. I like the instate Crockett to be honest.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Paul

Quote from: lefty08 on January 23, 2015, 05:16:09 pm
Does the RB coach recruit running backs only?
no  he found TJ Smith in North Carolina & got him to flip

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Paul on January 23, 2015, 06:51:41 pm

Segrest played a major role in the flip. Thomas definitely found him tho.

jackflash

I like at big time RB. But looking what the Hogs have next year and what is the bigger need for 2016. I would take LB and CB before a RB who maybe third string

lefty08

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Saw posts that said we only signed 1 RB in 2 years so Thomas obviously sucks at recruiting. Just a subtle take up for one of our coaches

Pudgepork

Its nice to have so many at the position already and 2 of them have proven to be top shelf talent.  Its a shame to lose Marshall but gotta move beyond the what if's.  What
the coaches are seeing from Day and Evans are a mystery.  We just don't know.  They might be all-world and the coaches feel very comfortable.  Its a must that at least 2 backs get as much experience as possible in 2015.

RW3 is icing on the cake.  I'm not saying that he won't come in and move straight to 3rd team.  I hope not because that throws many questions regarding Day and Evans.

2016 recruiting will probably be an attempt to pull a bama,  get 5 of the best backs possible interested hoping to sign at least 2 and possibly 3.   Once again, that will depend upon the production of the group behind Collins and JWill.

RunHogruN

Dancy from Junction City, I think he is a RB looks like a sleeper. I think I heard them say on the radio that he average 18 yrds a carry!!!
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

Paul

Quote from: lefty08 on January 23, 2015, 08:49:39 pm
Yeah I was being sarcastic. Saw posts that said we only signed 1 RB in 2 years so Thomas obviously sucks at recruiting. Just a subtle take up for one of our coaches
. Missed that my bad.  I'm tired of people bitching about a coach that helped produce the only tandem of 1000 yd rushers in the NCAA...I know, I know BB & Pitt deserve all the credit!!!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: RunHogruN on January 23, 2015, 09:15:02 pm
Dancy from Junction City, I think he is a RB looks like a sleeper. I think I heard them say on the radio that he average 18 yrds a carry!!!
I heard the same thing, but he's committed to La Tech and doesn't have an offer from Arkansas.  I don't really know why, but the coaches know a lot more about him than we do.  He's also only rated as a 2 or 3*, which I find strange considering his production.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 02:38:50 pm

It can be a factor. Take DeAngelo Williams. Would he have picked Memphis if Talley and Cobbs had not been on the roster?  Players at the highest level want to compete, but if you're thinking NFL, you don't want to waste a year of resume' building.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2015, 12:44:11 pm
So, you think it was based on him, or having two RB's coming back? I'm not privy to the reasons why XYZ didn't come here as a RB, could be they didn't like him. Anyway, the clock will soon start ticking on 2016 RB recruiting, not that it already hasn't.

Hate to compare apples to rotten apples but Bama has Drake, Henry, & Jones coming back.  Tenpenny got processed; they've still landed a 4 star and Harris, the top RB in this class.

Ole Miss is signing 3 RB's, which is how we got Rawleigh, OM brought in 3 higher ranked guys and he knew what was coming.  Ole Miss already has commits from 2 of the Top 20 RB's in 2016 too.  Crowded backfields don't scare off elite talent. They come in and take jobs and the sophmore/juniors get processed.

NCST is signing 3 RB's that we were after.

Mizzou, MissSt, Tenn. are all bringing in 3 RB's. 

Good programs stockpile talent.  Our depth is still a class or two away from being as competitive as we need it to be.  Our attrition will be minimal, this will force us to bring in classes w/ less than 25.  We can probably get by this year with just 1 RB, but JT whiffed on most of his big targets. 

An offense like ours should be Mecca to stud RB's.  I don't buy that we're not getting top RB's because they don't want to compete to PT.  The places they're going to have cluttered backfields as well.  If Collins leaves early, which he's been projected to by a few draft centric sites and he could be an early round pick, we're really going to be in a pinch if we can't pull some ridiculous talent in the 2016 class. 
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hvsupastar

Better go get Dancy from Junction City while we can. Kid is going to be a star.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

The_Bionic_Pig

January 25, 2015, 08:00:27 pm #36 Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:36:31 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: Paul on January 24, 2015, 12:02:01 am
. Missed that my bad.  I'm tired of people bitching about a coach that helped produce the only tandem of 1000 yd rushers in the NCAA...I know, I know BB & Pitt deserve all the credit!!!

SO DID DANNY NUTT!!  I guess that makes him a great RB coach also. 

Joel Thomas needs to stay on the West Coast recruiting (no necessarily RB) he can be as effective their as our coaches in Florida. 

He is attempting to establish himself in Texas which he has no prior relationship with H.S. coaches...even though offering Ronald Jones & SoSo Jamambo may look good on recruiting sites being eliminated from their top 20 early does nothing!

Coach is a RB coach with a history of bringing in 4 Star RB/DE from the Westcoast.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jan/25/sunday-vsit-updates/

Guess I'm just wondering why it's CBB and Rory making TJ's in-home.

Why would his "lead" recruiter not make the trip?  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

JC kids have worked out so lets get that RB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 26, 2015, 10:21:35 am

He wants his position coach there..........

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 10:24:13 am
He wants his position coach there..........

But not his lead recruiter that he's developed such a close relationship with?  :)

Sorry, I'm just enjoying this.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Großer Kriegschwein

Believe he was on the road somewhere else. Plus, when Bielema walks in the room, he is the lead recruiter and he brought along what would be his position coach. Seems solid to me.
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 26, 2015, 10:25:11 am
But not his lead recruiter that he's developed such a close relationship with?  :)

Sorry, I'm just enjoying this.

Nope, they're already best buds, so he was trying to win over his position coach, now. Isn't that how 're recruiting works??

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 10:27:27 am
Nope, they're already best buds, so he was trying to win over his position coach, now. Isn't that how 're recruiting works??

lol, not so much.  The lead usually goes to the in-home. 

I think that's happening in this case, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IBleedRazorbackRed

Thomas did discover Smith. Then Rory recruited him because he's in Rory's area. But Thomas was the one that found him originally.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jan/22/smith-switches-commitment-arkansas/
"Running backs coach Joel Thomas discovered Smith in North Carolina while recruiting the Tar Heel State back in the spring before Smith moved to Georgia. He and defensive line coach Rory Segrest have doubled teamed him during the recruiting process. Smith has spoken well of both."

Wildhog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 26, 2015, 10:48:43 am
Thomas did discover Smith. Then Rory recruited him because he's in Rory's area. But Thomas was the one that found him originally.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jan/22/smith-switches-commitment-arkansas/
"Running backs coach Joel Thomas discovered Smith in North Carolina while recruiting the Tar Heel State back in the spring before Smith moved to Georgia. He and defensive line coach Rory Segrest have doubled teamed him during the recruiting process. Smith has spoken well of both."

Oh, I know.  All these folks bending over backwards to defend JT just crack me up. Identifying talent, while essential, is a far cry from actually landing that talent. 

People act like I have something personal against JT.  I'm just tired of him being nearly dead weight at a coaching position that's supposed to be one of your strongest recruiters. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on January 26, 2015, 10:54:35 am
I'm just tired of him being nearly dead weight at a coaching position that's supposed to be one of your strongest recruiters.
True.  It shouldn't have to be like pulling teeth to land an elite RB considering at least 2 running backs on our team will be gaining 1,000 yards a season.  And I'm not saying I don't think Juan Day and Rawleigh Williams III won't be good for us.  Juan possibly could've been a 4 star if not for his unfortunate injury.  And Rawleigh put up great numbers this season but he was an Ole Miss decommitment.  So that kind of makes me perceive we were more fortunate Ole Miss let him go than JT beating Ole Miss in a recruiting battle.

colbs

I think Joel found him and TJ moved to GA.  Rory then became his lead recruiter.  He said Coach Segrest was visiting him every week he could. 

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on January 26, 2015, 11:10:13 am
I think Joel found him and TJ moved to GA.  Rory then became his lead recruiter.  He said Coach Segrest was visiting him every week he could. 

I like ol' Rory.  He's gonna be a good one.
1909/1964/1965/1977